What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Perth Red

Post Whore
http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=3848

NRL
The NRL rated 3.815m for the round (in Australia, with an estimated extra ~200,000 in NZ) with 1.251m metro, 785,000 regional and 1.779m Foxleague viewers. 3 of 8 games for the round were broadcast nationally on FTA.

The highest rating NRL game on free to air television this round was the Friday night match between Brisbane and South Sydney with 757,000 viewers, including 477,000 metro and 280,000 in the regions. Thursday night fell just short of 700,000 at 698k, and Sunday afternoon came in at 581,000.

On Foxtel, Foxleague was rated number 1 STV channel by ASTRA, its first win in more than 2 months, and its third win since Foxleague debuted. The highest rating Foxleague game was Saturday nights Parramatta v North Queensland game with 255,000, with Penrith/Canberra behind in the narrowest of margins on 254k.

For the season, the NRL have topped 52.4 million (26 million on FTA). Metro (5 city) ratings are down 10% to an average of 390,000, mostly due to Sydney ratings being down -25% to an average of 195,000, up north Brisbane ratings are up 2% to 156,000. There is insufficient data for an accurate year to year comparison in each of the minor NRL capitals, but GEM ratings average 39,000 in 2017 across Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Regional audiences are down -14% to 254,000 on average.

On Foxleague, the average audience is down -1.51% to an average of 233,000. Sydney audiences rate an average of 92,000, Melbourne 14,000, Brisbane 45,000, Adelaide 2,000 and Perth 6,000. Metro audiences average 158,000, with regionals averaging 74,000. As mentioned above, we are heavily indebted to Mediaweek for the above figures.

Surprised Fox is down, I would have thought with simulcast of every game they would have picked up many more viewers on previous years. NRL needs to address the malaise in Sydney for the game. It should be our absolute bedrock and foundation of strength the game grows from but in both crowds and TV audiences it is failing and that has to be down to the NRL and the Sydney clubs to sort out.

taipan

Referee
6pm games, did anyone honestly expect anything better re ratings and crowds?The TV stations who picked the time slots for the Tv deal, also have to reap what they sowed.
Souths,Bulldogs,and Tigers usually decent Tv drawers are playing like busteds,that also has an effect.

TV stations as a whole have had huge drops in Tv ratings ,and ad revenue.It appears to be a general malaise toward FTA and Tv in general.AFL TV ratings in the North continue to lie below the dead zone.

I keep repeating ad nauseam until we get better scheduling and Parra Stadium and ANZ made rectangular ,and the popular clubs perform better than they currently do, added to the Y generation less interest in TV,then the conundrum will, remain.Marketing can only go so far.If a team is crap,you can't polish a you know what.

Perth Red

Post Whore
6pm games, did anyone honestly expect anything better re ratings and crowds?The TV stations who picked the time slots for the Tv deal, also have to reap what they sowed.
Souths,Bulldogs,and Tigers usually decent Tv drawers are playing like busteds,that also has an effect.

TV stations as a whole have had huge drops in Tv ratings ,and ad revenue.It appears to be a general malaise toward FTA and Tv in general.AFL TV ratings in the North continue to lie below the dead zone.

I keep repeating ad nauseam until we get better scheduling and Parra Stadium and ANZ made rectangular ,and the popular clubs perform better than they currently do, added to the Y generation less interest in TV,then the conundrum will, remain.Marketing can only go so far.If a team is crap,you can't polish a you know what.

I thought the 6pm ratings were better than we thought they might be and on par with a Monday night? and don't account for the 25% Sydney drop in FTA. Ratings are down generally but 25%???

3 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 are Sydney clubs

taipan

Referee
I thought the 6pm ratings were better than we thought they might be and on par with a Monday night? and don't account for the 25% Sydney drop in FTA. Ratings are down generally but 25%???

3 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 are Sydney clubs

I'm noting crowds and Tv ratings for 6pm.Well they are not,some of the best Fox ratings at times were Monday nights in the past.Geez even the crowds at times were better for Monday nights.
Thursday nights FTA are up against prime time programs on 7 and 10,.Throw in 9 commentary of Rabs,etc almost dinosaurs and the criticism levelled has to have some affect.

FTA viewing is down overall.Ask yourself why ch10 staff are crapping blue lights for fear of being retrenched .FTA TV "ain't what it used to be."

I also don't know the effect of not having Bruce Gordon's Tv stations out of the NRL equation, for regionals.

And if the Dogs/Souths/Tigers were in or near the top 8 and playing consistently better football, the FTA ratings would IMO be far better.Who in their right mind would have wanted to watch the Dogs on TV ,attend after their 2016 efforts and their 2017 efforts.They used to get large crowds regularly.
Maybe the ANZ mauseleum effect has an effect on TV also, in addition to crowds.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
you do realise these aren't official consolidated ratings?

they are copied from Norman who posts at Bigpoofy ffs

The_Wookie

Bench
you do realise these aren't official consolidated ratings?

they are copied from Norman who posts at Bigpoofy ffs

These figures utilise the consolidated +7 ratings - totaling 47,000 on top of the overnights - as published on tvtonight. They are of course 7 days behind, and only report a top 20 for each day.

But hey im pretty sure i could write anything and you'd disagree with it.

The_Wookie

Bench
so therefore your figures are inaccurate as i already said

and STV even more so

figures are as accurate as the released data allows. Ive never wanted my posts to be the be all and end all - this was conclusively proven last year when my estimates for the nrl season were 13 million too high based on the leagues Annual Report. Its a guide, nothing more.

Raiderdave

First Grade
i thought last nights ratings would be very low for a friday night in recent times
but we're tracking for 900K which is pretty ok considering

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should be treat with the same sceptiscm as anz crowds! I think they may use similiar data sampling lol.

colly

Juniors
You can only beat what they put before you. I think they had Melbourne on a multi channel. This week anther NRL win again on Sunday 18th June? You bet!
Another WIN BIGLY
Mediaweek‏Verified account@MediaweekAUS 7h7 hours ago

Sun TV #NRL #NRLEelsDragons Nine 598k: Metro 352k (Syd 209k Bri 112k) Regional 246k

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/06/sunday-18-june-2017.html
No show AFL Can only beat what's before you.

Sat Pay tv figures
Sat STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLStormCowboys National 265k: Metro 183k (Syd 104k Mel 19k Bri 55k Ade 1k Per 5k)

Sat STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLSharksTigers National 254k: Metro 180k (Syd 118k Mel 7k Bri 47k Ade 2k Per 5k)

Easily beat AFL
Sat STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLTigersSwans
National 195k: Metro 153k (Syd 37k Mel 70k Bri 13k Ade 18k Per 16k)
Sat STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLPowerLions National 198k: Metro 162k (Syd 16k Mel 87k Bri 13k Ade 27k Per 19k)
https://twitter.com/MediaweekAUS?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Last edited:

Latest posts