What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Rabbits20

Immortal
The difference between Walker and Maloney though is the fact that Maloney is asking for a mil a season and Cody would just be wanting more than 200k... the fact that there's people around here that don't want Cody because he's a spoilt brat but would take Maloney even though he's technically doing the exact same thing is biased as f**k..

People can make those transitions if they've been switching from those positions throughout their footy career. Cody has always been an out an out 5/8th and is why fullback is so unfamiliar to him. The odd thing is his defensive game at fullback is much better than AJ's.

You can argue that Cody isn't putting together 80 minute performances but then I could just argue straight back and say AR isn't putting in 10 minute performances so why should he be on triple Cody's salary?

Only reason the side looks better with Sutton at 6 is the fact that AJ is back at wing and we have our outside backs back. We have some class out wide which we didn't have when Cody was 5/8th. The proof is in the pudding without Cody we're a wooden spoon team.
Don't bother mate.....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Cody has probably been the major player in all of the comp points we've scored so far-----his stats superlative at 5/8--he'll do good things wherever he plays but 5/8 is his best spot for team success!!

Having JS at 5/8 is such unprogressive,shy thinking!!!

Yeah--what is going on there with JS's "fairy dance?"

It's maguire's safe option to be honest. It kind of displays how little faith Maguire has in our outside backs depth after their starts to the season. I don't blame them though. Talakai and Jennings just need to spend more time practicing their defence in NSW cup. Their time will come!

I don't know! for some reason when he plays at 5/8th he thinks he has the same type of body as AR. He just needs to use his body and run it straight. That's where he plays his best footy as everyone has seen!

Travitoh

First Grade
The difference between Walker and Maloney though is the fact that Maloney is asking for a mil a season and Cody would just be wanting more than 200k... the fact that there's people around here that don't want Cody because he's a spoilt brat but would take Maloney even though he's technically doing the exact same thing is biased as f**k..

People can make those transitions if they've been switching from those positions throughout their footy career. Cody has always been an out an out 5/8th and is why fullback is so unfamiliar to him. The odd thing is his defensive game at fullback is much better than AJ's.

You can argue that Cody isn't putting together 80 minute performances but then I could just argue straight back and say AR isn't putting in 10 minute performances so why should he be on triple Cody's salary?

Only reason the side looks better with Sutton at 6 is the fact that AJ is back at wing and we have our outside backs back. We have some class out wide which we didn't have when Cody was 5/8th. The proof is in the pudding without Cody we're a wooden spoon team.

Maloney has done it all before, he's had success at every club he's been. He is an Origin player, has a Kangaroos jersey and has earnt the right.
Cody hasn't won enough games in his entire NRL career to qualify for a finals series. He hasn't achieved anything in his NRL career to earn the right to break contract.

He didn't find it difficult at fullback last season. Why does he now all of a sudden?

You could argue that about AR but that isn't what we are discussing. We are discussing Cody. AR has also achieved a lot more to have earnt that contract.

Without Cody we'd played 4 consecutive finals series. With him we've played 0. As you say - the proof is in the pudding.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It's maguire's safe option to be honest. It kind of displays how little faith Maguire has in our outside backs depth after their starts to the season. I don't blame them though. Talakai and Jennings just need to spend more time practicing their defence in NSW cup. Their time will come!

I don't know! for some reason when he plays at 5/8th he thinks he has the same type of body as AR. He just needs to use his body and run it straight. That's where he plays his best footy as everyone has seen!
Talakai is not a centre. He needs to be turned into a back rower!!!!!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Maloney has done it all before, he's had success at every club he's been. He is an Origin player, has a Kangaroos jersey and has earnt the right.
Cody hasn't won enough games in his entire NRL career to qualify for a finals series. He hasn't achieved anything in his NRL career to earn the right to break contract.

He didn't find it difficult at fullback last season. Why does he now all of a sudden?

You could argue that about AR but that isn't what we are discussing. We are discussing Cody. AR has also achieved a lot more to have earnt that contract.

Without Cody we'd played 4 consecutive finals series. With him we've played 0. As you say - the proof is in the pudding.

Of course Cody hasn't done all of that he has had an extremely unlucky NRL a career affected drastically by injury and bad luck. If he had the opportunity to play NRL sooner I'm almost certain he would of played rep footy. Maloney is a winner yes but there's no guarantee that he would be one at Souths where our forward pack are a bunch of power puff girls. You're right he hasn't done much in his career but he deserves more than 200k. There are other clubs that will happily give him more than that. This whole situation is exactly how it was with Luke keary last year. He wanted more money and we didn't give it to him so he went somewhere else where they would. Luke hadn't exactly earned a 700k+ salary... but look at him now. I still wouldn't give him 700k+ but I'm not the roosters boss!

I definitely think Cody found it difficult at fullback last season. He still made silly errors and his defensive game was much worse than it is now. I don't think he was anything near a solid fullback but we stuck with him because GI was out of form/injury ridden and AJ is well AJ.

Yeah but without Cody we had a good roster and I can't really say the same for with Cody...

Travitoh

First Grade
Of course Cody hasn't done all of that he has had an extremely unlucky NRL a career affected drastically by injury and bad luck. If he had the opportunity to play NRL sooner I'm almost certain he would of played rep footy. Maloney is a winner yes but there's no guarantee that he would be one at Souths where our forward pack are a bunch of power puff girls. You're right he hasn't done much in his career but he deserves more than 200k. There are other clubs that will happily give him more than that. This whole situation is exactly how it was with Luke keary last year. He wanted more money and we didn't give it to him so he went somewhere else where they would. Luke hadn't exactly earned a 700k+ salary... but look at him now. I still wouldn't give him 700k+ but I'm not the roosters boss!

I definitely think Cody found it difficult at fullback last season. He still made silly errors and his defensive game was much worse than it is now. I don't think he was anything near a solid fullback but we stuck with him because GI was out of form/injury ridden and AJ is well AJ.

Yeah but without Cody we had a good roster and I can't really say the same for with Cody...

You're right that there's no guarantee with Maloney but history does tend to repeat itself.
I don't disagree that Cody is probably worth more than his current contract, what i do disagree with is that we should give him a raise now. I don't believe he has done enough to earn the right to break contract. He hasn't played well enough for long enough to deserve having the club put forward an upgraded longer deal. Not yet. If he was to go forward from here and see out the remainder of the season with the form that he started in then sure, renegotiate. But until then the jury is out.
We can't afford to rush into deals just because they've played a few good games or we could end up with a situation similar to what we currently have with the twins.

To be honest, i have my doubts that he'd get his raise on the open market anyway. We are in a strong position at the moment in these negotiations and there is no need to budge

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
You're right that there's no guarantee with Maloney but history does tend to repeat itself.
I don't disagree that Cody is probably worth more than his current contract, what i do disagree with is that we should give him a raise now. I don't believe he has done enough to earn the right to break contract. He hasn't played well enough for long enough to deserve having the club put forward an upgraded longer deal. Not yet. If he was to go forward from here and see out the remainder of the season with the form that he started in then sure, renegotiate. But until then the jury is out.
We can't afford to rush into deals just because they've played a few good games or we could end up with a situation similar to what we currently have with the twins.

To be honest, i have my doubts that he'd get his raise on the open market anyway. We are in a strong position at the moment in these negotiations and there is no need to budge

That's fair. I don't mind doing that but it can easily backfire if he ends up getting more from a desperate club like newcastle! I want to keep Cody a lot more than I wanted to keep mcinnes or keary just because he's a real footballer. He is the sort of guy that has that natural talent for the game and I think he would thrive in the right environment. I don't want to pay overs for Cody but I definitely think it's a nice incentive to give him a decent pay rise (definitely not over 500k). I hope he gets moved back to 5/8th and Madge starts showing faith in AJ.

Travitoh

First Grade
That's fair. I don't mind doing that but it can easily backfire if he ends up getting more from a desperate club like newcastle! I want to keep Cody a lot more than I wanted to keep mcinnes or keary just because he's a real footballer. He is the sort of guy that has that natural talent for the game and I think he would thrive in the right environment. I don't want to pay overs for Cody but I definitely think it's a nice incentive to give him a decent pay rise (definitely not over 500k). I hope he gets moved back to 5/8th and Madge starts showing faith in AJ.

Agreed. However i don't see Newcastle coming in for him. They want an experienced bloke to lead the kids.

Rsag85

Bench
I wouldn't oppose re-signing either of the two. However there is no need to rush into it just yet. There is still plenty of footy to be played this year and both have had their injury concerns in the past. Commit to them when we know that they'll play a role for us next season.

True.

Cherro did do very well when he can on last Friday night hopefully he continues that form

Rsag85

Bench
Maloney and Cody are in the same boat both agreed to contracts and now want more money. The problem is they already signed there deals end of story IMO both are not worth the money they are asking or demanding. What we need imo is to sign Cronk I think he will teach Adam to be a better halve and make the players around him better too. I have Cronk above JT that's my personal opinion, I believe he is the best halfback in the world at the moment.

Travitoh

First Grade
Even if Cronk only arrived as a halves coach or even only an advisor, i believe AR would benefit so much from having someone he can chat with about footy within the club. From very early on in his career he was the senior halfback at the club and has missed out on the advice that a senior figure can provide.

rabbitohs95

Bench
R95's Souths 2018 lineup

1. Dane Gagai
2. Alex Johnston
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Greg Inglis
5. Braidon Burns
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Robbie Farah
10. Sam Burgess
11. Tyrell Fuimaono
12. Angus Crichton
13. Kyle Turner

14. Damien Cook
15. Zane Musgrove
16. Cam Murray
17. Tom Burgess

callmack1

Staff member
To those guys saying that we have been losing with Cody playing is true but he is not the reason.

I thought he was one of our best last year and again this year until a few weeks ago.

Our losing run over the last few years has been more due to a lack of effort, lack of pride, poor forward pack and a poor kicking game (inability to build pressure) from Reyno.

Imo, it's not down to Walker.

I want Cody to stay and I still think he'll get his upgrade but Richo is playing hardball until the 2018 cap is announced.

Which begs the question, when is it f**king gonna be announced?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
To those guys saying that we have been losing with Cody playing is true but he is not the reason.

I thought he was one of our best last year and again this year until a few weeks ago.

Our losing run over the last few years has been more due to a lack of effort, lack of pride, poor forward pack and a poor kicking game (inability to build pressure) from Reyno.

I want Cody to stay and I still think he'll get his upgrade but Richo is playing hardball until the 2018 cap is announced.

There aren't many running 5/8's left in the competition that can run as well as Cody. We need a 5/8th who can create more threats than Sutton in my honest opinion.

It's good that the club is playing hardball with him I mean no one player (manager) is bigger than the club. But I still feel as if he would be a wanted player on the open market.

The whole cap scenario is gonna be awesome for us considering we're playing on the safe side of the cap.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
R95's Souths 2018 lineup

1. Dane Gagai
2. Alex Johnston
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Greg Inglis
5. Braidon Burns
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Robbie Farah
10. Sam Burgess
11. Tyrell Fuimaono
12. Angus Crichton
13. Kyle Turner

14. Damien Cook
15. Zane Musgrove
16. Cam Murray
17. Tom Burgess

I would even go as far as to debut cam Murray at lock and have turner and Sam playing outside of him.

doyen

Bench

I love a little comment you've made which probably escapes a lot on here but means a hell of a lot,IMO------"he is a real footballer." I basically said that early in the piece with Cody.
Players like him are few & far between these days & a breath of fresh air.
IMO,he's worth double his present money & it's a miscarriage of justice that AR is probably getting triple Cody's salary!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I would even go as far as to debut cam Murray at lock and have turner and Sam playing outside of him.
We need a couple more signings though. Another back at least, a back up half and another good prop!!!!!

I don't think Sam will be moving from lock as I've said previously!!!!!

Also Turner shouldn't be starting.

Cook needs to be given the starting role over a has been!!!!!!

We have too many bench players Souths til I die imho: George, Tom, Turner, Murray, Musgrove, Rochow, Cherrington.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal

Callmack we haven't had the playing roster either!!!!

Our recruitment had to be a bit smarter!!!!!

The twins are letting us down big time too!!!!

Plus we just easily hand contracts out and don't make players like Turner work for their contract.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I love a little comment you've made which probably escapes a lot on here but means a hell of a lot,IMO------"he is a real footballer." I basically said that early in the piece with Cody.
Players like him are few & far between these days & a breath of fresh air.
IMO,he's worth double his present money & it's a miscarriage of justice that AR is probably getting triple Cody's salary!!
Doyen you should know that sense doesn't belong in here by now.

Some just can't comprehend this!!!!!!!

But apparently we have no idea what we are talking about they say!!!!!!!!...............

Latest posts