What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The numbers decline of adult men playing Rugby League

adamkungl

Immortal
I found this article interesting - my own thoughts below

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/20/happened-rugby-leagues-missing-25000-players/

What happened to rugby league’s missing 25,000 players?
Columnist
By Robert Burgin, 20 Jun 2017 Robert Burgin is a Roar Expert

In the 25 years since 1992 the number of Australians has risen by more than six million people. In the same period of time the number of senior rugby league players has dropped by around 25,000.

What this article is not, is an attempt to bash rugby league on the eve of one of our biggest games of the year.

Yet what it does hope to prompt are some honest conversations about what has happened to adults playing rugby league, whether it matters to the game, what can be done, and what are the wider ramifications.

Almost always when we talk about rugby league registrations nowadays, the focus is on junior numbers and female participation.

I know this well, because in the early 2000s I used to help write reports for the Queensland Rugby League that showed genuine, astronomical rises in the number of junior players.

In a four-year period from seasons 2003-2006 the number of kids playing more than five games per year in Australia rose 26 per cent.

The number of kids playing less than five games per year rose 80 per cent, thanks to a massive increase in the number of development officers employed and the number of school programs started.

But even in this boom period, the huge hike in junior numbers masked a steady decline of senior footballers.

The peak for senior rugby league registrations in Australia was 1992 when around the country there were 57,000 adults in structured competitions.

By the early 2000s this number was already in the low 30,000s, a figure that has fluctuated slightly year-on-year, but never really recovered, despite an almost 40 per cent rise in the nation’s population.

The good news of course is that the number of female players has well and truly boomed in the last decade, while junior numbers remain strong, if not always growing as quickly as they did.

Now their is an alignment with touch football, the stats for total players also get another sneaky boost.

But what does it mean that we now have less fathers, older brothers and mates playing the tackle game as our juniors transition into adulthood?

Interestingly, on top of the number of registered senior players dropping, it appears teams are needing more registered players each year to field a side. In other words, senior players are not only less numerous, but also playing less frequently.

I went to help a mate’s team last weekend, sitting one spot outside the top four. Due to wash-outs and forfeits, his team had played just seven games so far this season, but already used 43 players.

He debuted another two new players last weekend who were late additions before the June 30 cut-off for signings. You’d think that would mean he’d have more than 20 players sitting on the sideline keen for a game.

The opposite was true and he struggled to field a full squad.

Last season his team used 57 players in one grade. The grade above him for the same club used 53 players and was only one win off a grand final. This is not anecdotal evidence, but numbers verified with league statisticians.

In the 20 years I’ve been involved with senior footy, it’s clear the number of competing commitments – work, relationships, travel etc – has increased massively for adult players.

On any given weekend, you can have more players unavailable than are available.

Part of this I see in a positive light. There are more fathers and husbands who take equal ownership of duties with their partners these days, and are mindful of being supportive of their children’s pursuits.

It seems much more common now than in the 1990s that a guy will miss a game to host a child’s birthday party, to support his wife in a fitness challenge, or to work an extra day towards the house.

Affordability of housing comes into it, an issue so pervading across Australia that we cannot expect it to leave one of our nation’s favourite pastimes untouched.

When there are people out there working seven days a week just to afford a downpayment in a dog-eat-dog real estate market, there’s definitely pressure to skip an afternoon spent running around the field and then a night drinking with teammates.

As a society we’re also seemingly more sensitive to causing anyone offense.

In years gone by it would be acceptable, if a teammate was getting married, for most of the team to finish the game, get changed and then arrive halfway through the celebrations.

Now, blokes are sure to be there for every word of the vows, the release of butterflies and every Instagram snap possible. It’s a changing world in this respect, and weddings are only one example.

Of course, in the past 20 years we’ve also seen air travel become much more accessible and affordable, which means more guys travelling away, both on short-term domestic trips and longer-term backpacking adventures.

Add to that the number of fly-in-fly-out workers you may have in your team who work in the mining and resources sector.

It’s clear as day that rugby league is up against it on many fronts in the bid to retain senior male players.

That’s without even mentioning how easy it is for the less responsible guys to skip playing and spend ‘Super Saturday’ parked on their couch watching the footy on TV with a half-carton of beers.

Whether NRL administrators consider that last scenario as good or bad for the game is up for debate.

My one suggestion for amateur, country and suburban leagues would be to look at incorporating shorter seasons into the calendar – not replacing your traditional 20-game season, but offering an alternative.

There will always be players who want the full six months of playing footy, in a two-round home-and-away fixture format.

But if teams are going through 57 blokes in a year, that tells me there are an awful lot of guys unavailable for reasons other than injury on any given weekend.

It also stands to reason that we are probably scaring off some players who would be keen to play, but don’t want to commit to 20+ weeks of a year, so they never sign up at all.

If you could offer an additional 10-round lightning season where you only play two games a month and the fixtures are released well in advance, those with competing commitments could plan accordingly and would be more willing to put their body on the line and recruit mates to do the same.

This team could complement your top team of consistent performers.

To me the issue is that our society has changed an awful lot in the last two decades, but the offering to our senior men – arguably the demographic that has faced the most change – has stayed the same.

I’d also like to see more nines competitions or carnival days, because everything in this day and age is about creating the image of an ‘event’ or ‘milestone’ that people want to be seen at.

In Brisbane specifically, I believe part of the problem is the lack of amateur clubs close to the city heart. While the CBD and surrounds have become more densely populated, the closest clubs are professional standard, meaning a reasonable trek via public transport for any office warriors or inner city dwellers who may be finishing up around the 6pm mark.

I’m interested in your thoughts on whether it’s a pointless battle getting adults into league, whether all the focus should fall on kids and women, or any ideas you have to increase participation rates?

One of the more interesting articles I've read lately, nice change from Origin/expansion/relocation/NRL is hopeless.

I think the key point is the changing roles and responsibilities of blokes in their 20s-30s and how these things don't mesh as often with playing Rugby League and training twice a week. I think it's an inevitability that playing a contact sport and risking long and short term injuries drops down the priority list for most people.

The article touches on Touch footy numbers and the boost they've provided to the game's numbers. This kind of thing is probably the key. Pity we don't have the Oztag numbers too.
People playing Touch and Oztag ARE playing Rugby League.

I'm looking at Oztag for the solution - most of these comps run Mon-Thurs with a wide range of skill levels and the vast majority of social teams don't train, just show up 10 mins before.

If Oztag doesn't want to be counted under the NRL, the NRL and it's States and Clubs should implement their own 'oztag style' flexi-social comps.

Firstly expand the Tag league concept as a competitor to Oztag so we can include those numbers - I've heard of "NRL League tag" but it doesn't exist in Sydney as far as I know.
Include an option that's closer in rules and size to full Rugby League - 10 or 11 a side played on a full field. A tougher standard than traditional Oztag for the Leaguies who can't or won't play full contact anymore.

Secondly, play shortened Rugby League summer social comps.
Night games once a week, small 6 team comps to cater for multiple divisions, 50 minute game times, 11-a-side, 5 metre rule. (Or some variation of this)
The flexibility of after work play, a lower standard and less fitness/training requirements could bring a lot of adult men back into the game.

Life and workplace flexibility is an ever growing requirement, sports have to keep up to remain relevant.

PS. Rob Burgin has been writing a lot of good League stuff (mostly International themed) for the Roar lately, a website that in the past I have found to be completely worthless for NRL but is improving.

kbw

Bench
Several years ago before the explosion of Oztag, rugby league in Australia aligned itself with Touch.
Probably poor timing as oztag is a much better fit.

The other problem is that its almost drummed into kids that if they don't make Harold Matts squads then they won't make SG Ball and then their playing career is over. This takes lots of older kids (then adults) out of the game.

The pathway seems to get severed at that point, with few realising they can work hard and attempt to progress through Sydney Shield, Ron Massey and NSW Cup.

This all relates to the focus on you have to achieve high levels and rep honours etc to play RL, which is wrong.

I heard an interesting stat regarding the Souths Ares and A Grade comp which was good. I was told around 80% of participants had not played any rep football but just kept playing for the love of the game. This is terrific.

I also think that the mindset (not a criticism) of the current generation has a bit to do with it as well.

I hope the revamp of the competition next year in NSW helps. I know that better funding and renewed focus on country RL would certainly help

Touch, Oztag and leaguetag are not RL and the easy way out of claiming they are to artificially boost numbers is weak as piss and exactly what the governing bodies are doing to make themselves look less incompetent.

RockWheel

Bench
Yeah I don't think the NRL cares that much for senior football outside of the NRL competition.

Reactions: siv

adamkungl

Immortal
Several years ago before the explosion of Oztag, rugby league in Australia aligned itself with Touch.
Probably poor timing as oztag is a much better fit.

The other problem is that its almost drummed into kids that if they don't make Harold Matts squads then they won't make SG Ball and then their playing career is over. This takes lots of older kids (then adults) out of the game.

The pathway seems to get severed at that point, with few realising they can work hard and attempt to progress through Sydney Shield, Ron Massey and NSW Cup.

This all relates to the focus on you have to achieve high levels and rep honours etc to play RL, which is wrong.

I heard an interesting stat regarding the Souths Ares and A Grade comp which was good. I was told around 80% of participants had not played any rep football but just kept playing for the love of the game. This is terrific.

I also think that the mindset (not a criticism) of the current generation has a bit to do with it as well.

I hope the revamp of the competition next year in NSW helps. I know that better funding and renewed focus on country RL would certainly help

As a career plodder I never had any aspirations of playing reps - but from mid teens other things just start to take priority. I retired about 4 times over the years starting from when I was 13.
For teens - girls, partying, video games, studying - depending on the kid.

From about 14 or 15 right through 20s you've got parents and friends telling you to give it up and concentrate on important shit, how are you gonna go to work or school if you break your leg on Sunday, etc.

For most people, even if they have the balls to play, real life just takes priority. The after work Oztag comp is a compromise.

DC_fan

Coach
Touch, Oztag and leaguetag are not RL and the easy way out of claiming they are to artificially boost numbers is weak as piss and exactly what the governing bodies are doing to make themselves look less incompetent.

Totally agree ECT.

This is a rather good thread and I applaud AK for bringing the article to our attention.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah I don't think the NRL cares that much for senior football outside of the NRL competition.

The article did ask the question - does it matter?

Junior numbers are obviously the most important for the future of the game. The more kids you have , generally speaking the higher quality the cream that rises to the top will be.

Senior amateurs are just kind of off to the side, the game's future doesn't depend on them they aren't aspiring to anything, just there for the love of it. Guess it keeps the game in the public consciousness, kids look up to their dads or old brothers.

adamkungl

Immortal
Totally disagree with ECT btw
Oztag is Rugby League. We should be counting these people as RL players.

We should always strive to have as many people as possible playing full Rugby League but If we don't allow for some flexibility at amateur levels then we accept a declining future. No League governing body can turn around changing cultural trends that have little to do with sport but definitely effect sport.

OldPanther

Coach
As a 31 year old living on the Central Coast NSW I'd love to but have no idea how to get into it or if I'm too old.

LineBall

Juniors
Agree. We all sneer at AFL when they include AusKick in their participation numbers, yet we do the same thing.

My brother coaches juniors, and it's interesting to see how things have changed compared to when he and I played back in the 80's and early 90's. Back then, all year levels played on the same day, starting with Under 8's and finishing with under 16's. Now, Under 14, 15, 16 and 17's all play on Friday nights, as most of these kids have part time jobs on the weekend. When faced with the choice of play footy or work, getting paid normally wins. A lot of families are having to travel twice in the week to allow their children to play with Friday and Saturday games.

The other issue is the game itself. Obviously it's a tough game, and will never suit everyone, but a lot of the rule changes over the past few decades, which have been made from a top-down perspective, have made the game more physically demanding. The 10 metre rule, interchanges instead of replacements, Age groups for juniors instead of weight/age categories all have an impact. If the Commission doesn't get serious about grass roots football, and expanding into new areas - then you only have to look at the state Union is in this country to see where Rugby League could go.

RockWheel

Bench
The article did ask the question - does it matter?

Junior numbers are obviously the most important for the future of the game. The more kids you have , generally speaking the higher quality the cream that rises to the top will be.

Senior amateurs are just kind of off to the side, the game's future doesn't depend on them they aren't aspiring to anything, just there for the love of it. Guess it keeps the game in the public consciousness, kids look up to their dads or old brothers.
Maybe, maybe not. I think getting as many kids to play is the priority but we shouldn't just stop caring about senior competitions even if they're not going to provide NRL players. Probably matters more in the country; the point of country leagues shouldn't just be to develop juniors it should be to run vibrant, competitive competitions. There's nothing wrong with playing 200 grade games for your town. On the other hand it's not an easy game to play; I don't there are many 'amateur' senior American football leagues in the US and that doesn't hurt the NFL.

Ian Heads' book The Night the Music Died touches on this subject a lot; how the games changed for better or worse in these areas.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Touch footy is a version of rugby league. If the link between league and touch was emphasised by the NRL better, touch footy would be a great way to promote the game of rugby league.
For example: one way the NRL could "one-up" the explosion of womens competitions (e.g. WAFL) is to emphasise mixed over age touch/NRL. Give women a chance to play with the actual NRL clubs. Each NRL club could have a mixed touch team with stars (current, retired, youth) plus drafting in the best mens and womens touch players and womens RL player. Get it on the ABC or ten. Get people playing touch footy thinking they can represent an NRL club.

adamkungl

Immortal
Maybe, maybe not. I think getting as many kids to play is the priority but we shouldn't just stop caring about senior competitions even if they're not going to provide NRL players. Probably matters more in the country; the point of country leagues shouldn't just be to develop juniors it should be to run vibrant, competitive competitions. There's nothing wrong with playing 200 grade games for your town. On the other hand it's not an easy game to play; I don't there are many 'amateur' senior American football leagues in the US and that doesn't hurt the NFL.

Ian Heads' book The Night the Music Died touches on this subject a lot; how the games changed for better or worse in these areas.

Yeah don't get me wrong - it definitely matters, but kind of for intrinsic reasons here and now rather than the future of the sport depending on it.
I wouldn't want to see an Australia where the only people who play Rugby League are professionals.

I really believe flexible, social versions of Rugby League, are the key. There should always be a local A Grade and reserve grade but there needs to be more options.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
The article hit the nail on the head - the workforce has changed and a lot of people just can't commit to training during the week or playing every weekend, not just RL but amatuer sport in general. I used to play indoor/outdoor soccer when i was at uni but once i graduated and started my career i was working various shifts and weekends and just couldn't guarantee i would be available. Why pay my fees to only play a third of the season?

RockWheel

Bench
Yeah don't get me wrong - it definitely matters, but kind of for intrinsic reasons here and now rather than the future of the sport depending on it.
I wouldn't want to see an Australia where the only people who play Rugby League are professionals.

I really believe flexible, social versions of Rugby League, are the key. There should always be a local A Grade and reserve grade but there needs to be more options.
Absolutely. They need to be able to tailor and tweak the rules in order to create competitive, viable competition. There's no fun going seasons without winning and getting 80+ put on you each week because you barely have enough players etc. (this happens to some clubs in the country).

There's no reason why essentially amateur clubs and players have to abide by the same playing conditions as full professionals, when an alternative might be a benefit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So many variables in this. Certainly changing nature of weekend work and male roles in families is a key factor, risk aversion of a new generation another. I think the popularity of the game also plays a big part, early 90's was the games peak in terms of optimism and popularity in many ways and not surprisingly playing numbers reflected this also.

In terms of what to do, shorter seasons make sense as does special tournaments. We just had a Harmony world nines in Perth which was amazing and had full squads representing their countries of origin. Maybe nines generally is a more legit way forward? Smaller squads needed, less likely of injury or needing silly fitness levels etc. Almost a mid point between touch and full 13.

RockWheel

Bench
So many variables in this. Certainly changing nature of weekend work and male roles in families is a key factor, risk aversion of a new generation another. I think the popularity of the game also plays a big part, early 90's was the games peak in terms of optimism and popularity in many ways and not surprisingly playing numbers reflected this also.

In terms of what to do, shorter seasons make sense as does special tournaments. We just had a Harmony world nines in Perth which was amazing and had full squads representing their countries of origin. Maybe nines generally is a more legit way forward? Smaller squads needed, less likely of injury or needing silly fitness levels etc. Almost a mid point between touch and full 13.
The games more popular now than it was in the 90s. Nines could help but it'll only work in conjunction with the full games rather than a replacement.

Valheru

Coach
The article hit the nail on the head - the workforce has changed and a lot of people just can't commit to training during the week or playing every weekend, not just RL but amatuer sport in general. I used to play indoor/outdoor soccer when i was at uni but once i graduated and started my career i was working various shifts and weekends and just couldn't guarantee i would be available. Why pay my fees to only play a third of the season?

This is just a small part of the issue TBH.

Soccer has a huge amount of adult males aged from 18 right through to the 50s and beyond participating, as does cricket.

Rugby League is just seen (rightly) as too intense on the body for the average Joe who just wants to keep up a bit of fitness, play competitive sports and piss on after the game.

LineBall

Juniors

Soccer has a huge amount of adult males aged from 18 right through to the 50s and beyond participating, as does cricket.

Rugby League is just seen (rightly) as too intense on the body for the average Joe who just wants to keep up a bit of fitness, play competitive sports and piss on after the game.

Will Rugby League need to become less intense, less brutal to survive?

adamkungl

Immortal

Soccer runs 6 a side outdoor and indoor modified rules comps mid-week, year-round.
Cricket has indoor keeping people in the game.

I bet both sports count these players in their participation numbers.

None of the people I know who play weekend full-size soccer and cricket train twice a week on top of this, as far as i know.

Latest posts