What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board & CEO Accountability

Gareth67

First Grade
The fans are undoubtedly genuine , speaking for myself , I am certainly ignorant on most matters pertaining to how the Board operates . However , that does not make me any less a fan than anyone else . By the same token I do understand where Objective View is coming from with his comments . ( I do disagree with the point about the true fans ) .

There have been some among us whom have quietly sat back with only the odd post throughout this season , watching this season unfold in the manner that they themselves had expected . Now that these events have occurred , such as the great start to the season , early premiership expectations , the resigning of the Maestro and our fall from grace , it becomes apparent that the same mistakes have been made yet again .

It all seems like a bad dream that just never ends , but as Old Kogarah Boy pointed out to me earlier this evening " the fans will always be there " . Young , old or middle aged , from kiddies to the adults , the fans , whether they be ignorant or knowledgeable will effect change , eventually , as without those fans there will be no bums on seats , which equates to no money and no more jobs for the board .

Last edited:
It all seems like a bad dream that just never ends , but as Old Kogarah Boy pointed out to me earlier this evening " the fans will always be there " . Young , old or middle aged , from kiddies to the adults , the fans , whether they be ignorant or knowledgeable will effect change , eventually , as without those fans there will be no bums on seats , which equates to no money and no more jobs for the board .

Mate, it pains me to say it, it really does, but this club doesn't deserve to have such fans.

Yet some will come in here now and mindlessly declare that no matter what they are fans. It's not a badge of honour but an intellectual vacuum they display. By this, I don't mean to sound 'superior', only want to point out the shameless degradation of the club. And for those that keep cheering unconditional support, well such declarations only hinder the club.

Objective View

thebigredv

First Grade
It's horrible to see this thing you grow up with, so passionate and addicted to, screw you over in later life.

The actions of the board and coaches of the last 6 or so years have been so abhorrent and while I'd like to say "I'm done, I can't anymore " it really isn't an option when you feel you are so attached. I just keep getting sucked in and coming back for more, hoping "this season things will be different". As it turns out, the fans have very little say, but we are good for our money.

Ludicrous team selection,
Atrocious retention and recruitment or lack thereof,
Appalling one dimensional coaching.

Coffs dragon

Bench
What does it take to effect change at board level?[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately and sadly probably only illness or death will force change.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Can we get Mark Coyne in to do a MID Year Season review?

And why did we extend McJetski for 2 years? Why not renew for 1 with the 2nd year in the club's favour (i.e. make the 8 in 2018 and you get an automatic extension for 2019?).

Can we get Mark Coyne in to do a MID Year Season review?

And why did we extend McJetski for 2 years? Why not renew for 1 with the 2nd year in the club's favour (i.e. make the 8 in 2018 and you get an automatic extension for 2019?).

Mr Coyne only a few weeks ago was promoting Mary's extension.

Mr Coyne's snout is also settled in the trough.

Objective View

Reactions: Qdf

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate, it pains me to say it, it really does, but this club doesn't deserve to have such fans.

Yet some will come in here now and mindlessly declare that no matter what they are fans. It's not a badge of honour but an intellectual vacuum they display. By this, I don't mean to sound 'superior', only want to point out the shameless degradation of the club. And for those that keep cheering unconditional support, well such declarations only hinder the club.

Objective View

Matey , i can only ask the obvious question , just how does the club find it's way out of the sewer ? What do you suggest , what real recommendations can you put forward to solve this conundrum ?

Matey , i can only ask the obvious question , just how does the club find it's way out of the sewer ? What do you suggest , what real recommendations can you put forward to solve this conundrum ?

I don't know, G67. I really don't.

A change in coach and CEO alone won't do it. The very thought that a CEO (and board members) of a modern day sporting organisation has a cronyistic born to rule mentality is obscene. But how do we peasants initiate democratisation and inject professionalism? I just don't know.

Objective View

Gareth67

First Grade
I don't know, G67. I really don't.

A change in coach and CEO alone won't do it. The very thought that a CEO (and board members) of a modern day sporting organisation has a cronyistic born to rule mentality is obscene. But how do we peasants initiate democratisation and inject professionalism? I just don't know.

Objective View

Thank you for your honest reply to my question . Without venturing into the world of dreams , I have always hoped that the Joint Venture would be bought by a successful consortium of one type or another . Not only would that pay the outstanding debt to the NRL , but also provide the club with an injection of capital and also men who knew their business , that being to make the Dragons into one of the more prominent teams in the NRL .

However that woold be on the condition that Doust resigned from the Dragons , the biggest problem of all .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Mr Coyne only a few weeks ago was promoting Mary's extension.

Mr Coyne's snout is also settled in the trough.

Objective View
Coyne and Johnston both supported Mary's extension. A killer for me as I hoped both of these guys were in support of significant change. However, both seem to have joined the old boys club and are not interested in rocking the boat.

When Souths, Norths and Newtown hit the wall, the ARL/NRL did nothing to save them even though they are establishment clubs. Souths supporters fought hard and were eventually saved but not by the NRL. I have a feeling that if Saints keep falling, the NRL would cast us adrift as well and use our place in the competition - a franchise located outside of Sydney and NSW.

I doubt it is any co-incidence that out of the 3 joint ventures, St George / Illawarra, Balmain / Western Suburbs and Manly / North Sydney, all have found themselves in financial difficulties in recent years. In my opinion, the NRL should have done more with regards to governance and the development of a sound path to financial success.

MilanDragon

Juniors
The most interesting thing is none of us (presumably) know how to run a club. Yet we criticise everything the club does. We applaud they bring in Johnston and Coyne but as soon as they make a decision or support a decision like extending Mcgregor's contract we blast them too and accuse them of cronyism etc etc.

Do they all know something we don't? At least in terms of football operations.

I'm not saying this to have a dig at anyone else here but we have to at some point think are we wrong or missing something? At least on football operations.

Then the same thought could be applied to the overall structure of the business, the part I can't get past is the continued levels of Debt and really Dousts comments about the NRL bail out which just lacked business sense.

Further, US presidents have a term of no more than 8 years. Most company CEO's that are appointed have a lifespan in that role of less than 8 years, look at all of Australia's most successful businesses like the banks as an example. Now Doust has been in this role much longer.. which would be okay if the club was at least performing off the field, which we aren't either.

That's my main concern.

And I know a few have said they don't know how to change it, but my question is what would you change if you were the CEO?

possm

Coach
In my opinion change needs to be made at the top; the very top. So if I had the opportunity I would arrange the following:

Sale of 100% of both football clubs and leagues clubs, including all assets and liabilities with no clauses include which protects the employment of any of the current Board, management staff or football staff; including the coaching staff.

Then methodically invest in things that would cause positive change to league clubs profits and popularity.

Then arrange for a special AGM for both leagues clubs in order to allow representatives of members to be elected alongside those Board members directly appointed by the owners. Do the same for the football clubs.

The Boards would then be charged with appointing/employing staff to key positions identified by the owner.

While the above changes are being made, negotiate a deal with the NRL and any creditors of the Clubs.

Produce a five year plan to turn the leagues clubs around to become less reliant on poker machine income and more interested in profitable event and entertainment activities.

Promote home games by:

1. Providing incentives to fans who arrive at the gate prior to the reserve grade players taking the field. Merchandise, doubles tickets, lucky door prizes and a discount voucher for the next home game ticket would serve as an incentive for fans to not only attend but to arrive early. This would help with traffic management and increase merchandise sales and food & drink sales.
  2. Fostering a Red V brass band to perform during time off at games and when the Dragons score.
  3. Having flame throwing dragons being activated when the Dragons score tries.
  4. Having a cage of signed footballs on both sides of the field from which the ball boys/girls will use to replace balls that are kicked out into the crowd. Who ever catches a ball kicked out can keep it. After the game all balls left over after the game will be retrieved by the ball boys/girls will pass to players who would kick them into the crowd after the game. This would help with traffic congestion after the game.
So, first step is to find a rich buyer for our Clubs.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
The most interesting thing is none of us (presumably) know how to run a club. Yet we criticise everything the club does. We applaud they bring in Johnston and Coyne but as soon as they make a decision or support a decision like extending Mcgregor's contract we blast them too and accuse them of cronyism etc etc.

Do they all know something we don't? At least in terms of football operations.

I'm not saying this to have a dig at anyone else here but we have to at some point think are we wrong or missing something? At least on football operations.

Then the same thought could be applied to the overall structure of the business, the part I can't get past is the continued levels of Debt and really Dousts comments about the NRL bail out which just lacked business sense.

Further, US presidents have a term of no more than 8 years. Most company CEO's that are appointed have a lifespan in that role of less than 8 years, look at all of Australia's most successful businesses like the banks as an example. Now Doust has been in this role much longer.. which would be okay if the club was at least performing off the field, which we aren't either.

That's my main concern.

And I know a few have said they don't know how to change it, but my question is what would you change if you were the CEO?
The club needs business leaders who now how to build long term growth through a strategic plan.

The club needs a transparent leadership that is not afraid to listen to external experts on how to run the business.

A new owner is probably our only chance. That would drive change and eliminate old boys clubs and remove the C culture that exists.

The red V brand was once touted as second only to Man U as the strongest individual club sporting brand in the world. I know that was awhile ago but the brand has been eroded and we have lost so much opportunity. A business group with commercial acumen, drive and confidence to tackle all the weaknesses could make us great again.

Life's Good

Coach
Modern day sports professionalism has transcended what sport once was and turned it into a corporate pursuit built on KPI, brand recognition, strategy etc. whether we like it or not. Being league specific here but the better run clubs have embraced this whilst some 'think' they have(like us). We clearly haven't and as a result lurch from poor to average to great to poor again. This can only be down to an inward looking board/advisers whose main remit is survival not prosperity that is the hallmark of ongoing success. There are plenty of ways to move forward but until the board/advisers accept change will cost them a position at the trough, then things will remain as they are. I see us as a reflection of the NRL and their up & down nature of administration(vested interests, 'league' people etc).
Very sad indeed.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Even though many people on the forum admit that they aren't business people or business management leaders and thus don't know how to run a club, what is still very clear is the same people and every single true fan can easily identify the dumb decisions; the obvious boys club, poor junior development, bumbling contracts, lack of TPA's, brand erosion and simple resistance to open dialogue, open transparency and to true change.

Why management cannot see the problem is obvious and should be obvious even to the most non business person.

Old Timer

Coach
Even though many people on the forum admit that they aren't business people or business management leaders and thus don't know how to run a club, what is still very clear is the same people and every single true fan can easily identify the dumb decisions; the obvious boys club, poor junior development, bumbling contracts, lack of TPA's, brand erosion and simple resistance to open dialogue, open transparency and to true change.

Why management cannot see the problem is obvious and should be obvious even to the most non business person.
Unfortunately Sheridan there are actually so called "True Fans" who see none of the above and are happy as long as a team (win, lose or draw) runs out on the paddock wearing the StGI jumper or a form thereof.

Qdf

Juniors

Objective View
Yes my fellow fans & supporters,
I've been member & fan since 1968.
Getting so frustrated in the latter period,around 2007,l decided not to renew my membership & not to attend games.The Board & Doust have ruined this CLUB....Not until we ,as fans ,supporters & members as one ,stick together,not putting up with the crap these administration people dish out.
They don't allow us to vote...
So fellow fans ,you can vote..
But only with your WALLETS...
SO ...lets start to vote today,with our only option.
GET THESE PARASITES OUT ..