What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italy v Spain 10th June - Triple Header

Ari Gold

Bench
http://www.rlwc2017.com/news/italy-continue-world-cup-preparations-spain-clash

Italy continue their solid local development after last week's trip to Lebanon. The curtain raiser will be U21s Italy v Spain plus a female match between two Italian sides.

Afternoon held at Saluzzo's home ground - a just reward for their participation in the French lower leagues this year.

Italian coach Rolleston has mentioned that this and last week's game are being used as trials for the domestic players who will be included in the world cup squad. My guess would be that Bergamasco, Celerino and possibly Ciaurro will be booking tickets to Australia later this year.

Nuke

Staff member
Realistically, Italy should win this one (the main game, I'm talking ... I can't really comment on the ladies or U21s games as I don't know what either side is like in those respective grades). But that being said, I wouldn't imagine Italy would have their NRL / ESL players, so it would be all locals, which definitely evens out the two nations considerably more than if the professionals were playing.

I hope Spain win, as I have connections and strong ties with them, and also for the fact that they're building up, having only really been formed a few years ago, and would be considered underdogs for this game.

¡Vamos España!

deluded pom?

Coach
I was hoping for a closer game seeing as the Spaniards got nearer to stronger opposition in the WC qualifiers but as in all amateur games I suppose the strength of the team depends on who's available to travel. I hope Spain have invited the Italians to visit them in the not too distant future.

Ari Gold

Bench
Italia-Rugby-League-Mirco-Bergamasco-Manta-Nazionale-Copyright-Paolo-Cilli-PH-Saluzzo-NWR.jpg

Haven't seen any attendance figures, but seems a good crowd

langpark

First Grade
There's another shot that shows the entire grandstand, and it was full, even though it's only a little one. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say about 300-400.

Coastbloke

Bench
No thread on the match, but the Norway v Sweden match seemed to have been played at a decent stadium. Crowd didn't look too good from the photo I saw though..

langpark

First Grade
No thread on the match, but the Norway v Sweden match seemed to have been played at a decent stadium. Crowd didn't look too good from the photo I saw though..
I think the crowd was actually pretty decent! As you say it was played at a massive stadium so even 500 there would look like a tiny crowd.

deluded pom?

Coach
It was played at the Bislett stadium which has (it may still do so) hosted some big athletics meetings in the past.

Golden point

Juniors
Does anybody think that Spain and Italy are starting to look good with their growth? With a good showing in the world Cup Italy could be another Canada story... super league team?
That would look good. Sponsorship would have great potential all round.
Spain seems to be growing very steadily....

Nuke

Staff member
Spain's domestic scene is still growing. New teams being added each season from what I can recall. Most of which are within the Valencia area (I passed through several of the areas on the train from the airport to wherever it was I was staying last year while on holiday), and a few more inland, so those areas are only going to get stronger because of it.

I'd love to see a more national competition in the future, with an NRL / SuperLeague type set-up (a team or two from Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, and several other cities / towns, which each drawing players from their own local regional competitions), but that is many years away from being remotely likely as far as I can tell.