What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
You need to watch more ESL ol'mate, the Poms take the game as it is, they follow it because they like to go to games . . . 'getting outta the house' is their major pastime. They don't wank over players' discrepancies like we do and pretend they could do better
Salford had 2100 at the last game and they are 2nd on the ladder

POPEYE

Coach
Back to business, I'm trying to give AG something to work with. How about I hope NSW win all three games, a whitewash should see Smith/Cronk/Slater/Thurston not play any more Origin . . . their clubs should be allowed complete attention in their twilight years

Not beyond the realms of possibility, the heavy hitter journos/footy show boffins are deathriding NSW in an attempt to give them a psychological upgrade but methinks the Blues should win. The real pressure is on Qld, the magic looks a little tired, only if the Blues panic will they lose

POPEYE

Coach
Not yet. At the moment I'd say Gavin Cooper with better acceleration
Gavin Cooper already? One of the commentators said Ryan Hoffman, either way a pretty good wrap for a 20yr old. NSW born and bred and slipped through the Roosters' net . . . for now anyway. All quite an achievement when you consider there's still 10 years of NRL rigmarole ahead of him

Souths are a funny mob aren't they, unless you're a one-eyed supporter, losers one minute and winners the next . . . whatever it was Madge slipped in their oranges I'd like some of it

I've always like Goodwin, he'll kill'em in ESL, the Burgess underlings played better without Sam, Sutton again cruelled a couple of tries and Walker should be closer to the front . . . but all in all, the second 40 erased the first

POPEYE

Coach
The media have given Melbourne a new Smith who plays more like Issac Luke and a new Cronk because Croft can kick a field goal. It would be easier to just say Melbourne might continue on it's winning ways because the new breed look promising.

Tonight's Storm were a long f**king way from being a yardstick, the Cowboys deserved to at least come away win one point. Both games probably deserved to be draws, the Sharks won because the Tigers played dumb footy and Melbourne won in spite of playing dumb footy

POPEYE

Coach
We all knew Arthur would snap out of it, pity we're still waiting for Mary to follow suit. Both teams are walking a fine line with player positioning, both coaches can claim to be in a quandary because of availability. Imo both were taking the wrong options, now it's just one

Stubbornly sticking players where they don't belong doesn't help when there are better options. If Arthur had of kept French at #1 and Mary had his Origin players the media would have had to invent a headline, now Parra are 'cup contenders'

The Dragons starting the season so well and now in danger of being too easily 'worked out' is f**king frustrating to me, imagine how one-eyed supporters must be feeling . . . at least the Eels are slippery again

POPEYE

Coach
Must confess I didn't see the Eels/Dragons game, only watched the highlights and just now the press conferences. I'm a fan of Brad Arthur but what he said in the presser is just plain f**king frightening . . . in not so many words "I'm not sure what Guthersons's position is and French will be the long term Fullback''

If Arthur watched the game from ground level ala Sticky I could understand if he didn't see the big picture but fmd . . . c'mon Brad, make an appointment with OPSM

This Year?

Immortal
We all knew Arthur would snap out of it, pity we're still waiting for Mary to follow suit. Both teams are walking a fine line with player positioning, both coaches can claim to be in a quandary because of availability. Imo both were taking the wrong options, now it's just one

Stubbornly sticking players where they don't belong doesn't help when there are better options. If Arthur had of kept French at #1 and Mary had his Origin players the media would have had to invent a headline, now Parra are 'cup contenders'

The Dragons starting the season so well and now in danger of being too easily 'worked out' is f**king frustrating to me, imagine how one-eyed supporters must be feeling . . . at least the Eels are slippery again

I would have to say most of us were having fun while it lasted and most would have known deep down we'd revert to "Dragons Footy" after contracts were worked out. The neutrals will be shaking their heads and opposition supporters would be laughing.

POPEYE

Coach
I would have to say most of us were having fun while it lasted and most would have known deep down we'd revert to "Dragons Footy" after contracts were worked out. The neutrals will be shaking their heads and opposition supporters would be laughing.
It definitely would be funny to opposition supporters but it's a little more than 'shaking heads' to RL purists, one of whom I consider myself. The Dragons are unexpectedly top of the heap, the best part of that scenario is the resultant deathly quiet in Wankerville, however the pedestal was always going to be shaky due to depth

Lack of depth does not excuse lackadaisy, the great things that Mary achieved against all expectation are going down the f**king toilet because he refused to experiment with anything better than nothing . . . confusion in the Halves is the only thing in the Dragons' game that needs remedying

POPEYE

Coach
There's so many threads with arguments finishing with something like 'at least my team didn't do a Storm' that only an octopus spurting purple ink could answer, so I'll put my point of view in this one place that can be avoided after the first sentence or endured through curiosity. After this I'll just avoid storms in a teacup

My fervent wish, not a hope because it will never happen, is that every NRL team becomes a 'yardstick'. If that were the case then 'yardstick' would become null and void. As it is now a yardstick team is one that is always there and about, whether it be Shield or cup that makes your hair blow back. Sponsors don't care if teams win trophies, they just want their insignias in the pointy end of the contest

Anyway, believe it or not Melbourne remain a yardstick team that has the least detrimental effect on other teams in the process. If every team embraced the same 'culture' there would be no need for a salary cap. It all depends if you believe great RL players are not freaks and live in the hope that there are many more such talented players waiting to be discovered

If you take Penrith for instance, often proffered up as one of the largest 'breeding grounds' of junior players, there is the expectation the Panthers should be made up entirely of locals. Say for instance if all the Melbourne 'culture', Bellamy and everything he brings, was transposed to Penrith would he have to look anywhere else for players to propagate that culture

Would he need to raid Benny's back yard or scour NZ or recondition rejects . . . would the Penrith breeding ground have all that Bellamy needed. If that were the case imagine the noses out of joint in the rest of Sydney . . . but I don't think that is the case. It would be nice if Penrith had a Cronk, Inglis, Smith, Slater, Folau, Bromwich, Chambers, etc etc waiting at home ready to play for peanuts in the hope they'd be given a shot at becoming an NRL player

So even Penrith have to employ from elsewhere, whether they try as hard as they should to search Aust/NZ/Fiji or other environs for previously undiscovered talent is the question. Too many clubs find it easier to 'buy' at exhorbitant prices what they don't have when what they really need is to first find a 'Bellamy' clone, someone who can make mountains from mole hills, someone that can make the most of 'raw' players

All clubs try their best to use 'locals', whether their best is good enough is a quandary in the same way do they do their best to look everywhere for undiscovered talent. Sticky for instance is much maligned for being a second rate coach but even he found players where others didn't look

Being someone who wants every club to have the 'culture', I prefer methodology, Melbourne has my biggest fear is that the Storm will revert to doing what the other yardstick clubs do. Anyone who thinks Melbourne couldn't compete with the Broncos/Roosters/Manly/Cowboys and just poach to the detriment of other clubs has rocks in his head

POPEYE

Coach
Great to see SKD escape with an obvious slap on the wrist, it's the not-so-obvious I'm more concerned about, hope the bloke lands on his feet wherever he ends up playing. Let's hope this series of unfortunate events doesn't manifest into something catastrophic

On the field Shaun is sometimes clumsy, sometimes awe inspiring, always giving 100% . . . never just roaming around waiting for an opportunity to make himself appear important.. He has been the reason a team has won many times more than the reason a team has lost . . . both eyes open will tell you that if being an established NRL player doesn't

Off the field is none of my business, he could be hard done by, naïve or just plain stupid for all I care. NRL players are like a bitch that has had pups first time on heat, you always get the feeling they missed out on part of the natural learning curve. Imo they need a little more empathy because they were deprived of something important on the way to entertain us

POPEYE

Coach
Haha skd is a bitch
You can't possibly be reasoning that remark in that context on his playing career if you've watched 99% of his 1st grade games as I have. Is it because he plays for the Roosters or his off-field misdemeanors which have been dealt with by people who have far more information than you