What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 Game vs Newcastle

Carlton

Juniors
I am just as frustrated as everyone else with McCrone's kicking game but I find it interesting how few people are prepared to criticise Widdop kicking game. Widdop was woeful last year, had a few good games this year and got injured and since coming back has been completely underwhelming. McCrone's kicking game is crap - but so is Widdop's. At least McCrone punches above his weight defensively. I'm horrified at the thought of two more years of Widdop AND McGregor. The pair are equally inept, in my opinion. We've not had a decent kicking game since Jamie Soward. And until we find someone with a decent kicking game, we will just be making up the numbers. But it shouldn't all fall on McCrone's shoulders. It's Widdop's job too.

Zucchini I agree with everything you've said. Personally I don't think Widdop is who we need as our playmaker and captain.

I am just as frustrated as everyone else with McCrone's kicking game but I find it interesting how few people are prepared to criticise Widdop kicking game. Widdop was woeful last year, had a few good games this year and got injured and since coming back has been completely underwhelming. McCrone's kicking game is crap - but so is Widdop's. At least McCrone punches above his weight defensively. I'm horrified at the thought of two more years of Widdop AND McGregor. The pair are equally inept, in my opinion. We've not had a decent kicking game since Jamie Soward. And until we find someone with a decent kicking game, we will just be making up the numbers. But it shouldn't all fall on McCrone's shoulders. It's Widdop's job too.

Widdops is 100% better than McCrone, at least he realises there is more field available to kick in to apart from the 2 square metres the fullback is standing on. That said Widdops was woeful last year, it's been better this year, so far. But the question is when McCrones first few kicks were terrible, why didn't Widdop come forward and demand the ball on the 5th? He is the captain after all.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Would love to see Sele start at lock, Host at right edge (if no Frizz) and Simms on the bench because that's his best position.
Having Sele start and do some ball playing early would be great.
If Matthews gets a gig we are doomed for the rest of the season let alone the next 2 years.
Totally agree . Can't believe Mary would even consider playing Frizz . He is playing busted he can't do any contact work without needles . Give the bloke a rest as most other coaches have done with players who are test and origin players . Or he will end up stuffed for the season playing so busted and fatigued .

Watched Dugan last night and the people who say we don't need him ...I agree ....We need two of him . One at fullback and one at right centre . He is by far the best in both of those positions at our club ..Daylight second .

Old Timer

Coach
Totally agree . Can't believe Mary would even consider playing Frizz . He is playing busted he can't do any contact work without needles . Give the bloke a rest as most other coaches have done with players who are test and origin players . Or he will end up stuffed for the season playing so busted and fatigued .

Watched Dugan last night and the people who say we don't need him ...I agree ....We need two of him . One at fullback and one at right centre . He is by far the best in both of those positions at our club ..Daylight second .
Yep just don't understand why others can't see it as well.
Sure his ability to pass and set up supports is very limited but the rest is far better than anybody else's and that's not limited to just our club.
His ability to shut down people head on is probably the best I have ever seen and that covers a lot of FB's.
Last week Nighty waited for the player and he scored last night Duges ran at him and forced his decision and no try just chalk and cheese.
Goal line D he has no peer.
Just a shame we bulked him up and he lost his natural speed but he is a warrior and I for one am glad we had him for a while shame about some of the shit tactics and players he had to put up with.

WardyRedV

Juniors

He wasn't just good.. he was, in my opinion, the best player in the competition. He then came back with two tries against the tigers. If he can recapture that form from the start of the year and everyone else pulls their heads in we should be set for a run into the finals.. regardless of McGregor.

possm

Coach
Yep just don't understand why others can't see it as well.
Sure his ability to pass and set up supports is very limited but the rest is far better than anybody else's and that's not limited to just our club.
His ability to shut down people head on is probably the best I have ever seen and that covers a lot of FB's.
Last week Nighty waited for the player and he scored last night Duges ran at him and forced his decision and no try just chalk and cheese.
Goal line D he has no peer.
Just a shame we bulked him up and he lost his natural speed but he is a warrior and I for one am glad we had him for a while shame about some of the shit tactics and players he had to put up with.
Tedesco and Gagai, either one would have been a great buy for us for 2018. B Morris still very good. Dufty needs to be ruled in or out for the fullback position.

I hope Millwad watched Dugan watched in the SOO. Got to see how he screwed up.
At the end of the day Millward, Dugan and his manager are all to blame.

Dugan for allowing his manager to let negotiations drag on for aslong as they did.

Dugan making silly statements about Union and the NFL while negotiating with the club.

Millward for also making silly statements, letting it drag on for months and not breaking off negotiations months ago.

Dugan and his manager should have made a decison before the season started.

All in all everyone is a fault.

Last edited:

WardyRedV

Juniors
I hope Millwad watched Dugan watched in the SOO. Got to see how he screwed up.
By offering him the same money as the sharks but just a year less? (Because we have talented and cheaper juniors coming through) Or because we didn't give him the 1 million dollars per season he was trying to hold the club ransom for? You all quickly forget that he fired the first shots in his contract negotiations and the club tried to make him the highest paid centre in the competition (which is where he will spend the rest of his career).

possm

Coach
At the end of the day Millward, Dugan and his manager are all to blame.

Dugan for allowing his manager to let negotiations to drag on for aslong as they did.

Dugan making silly statements about Union and the NFL while negotiating with the club.

Millward for also making silly statements, letting it drag on for months and not breaking off negotiations months ago.

Dugan and his manager should have made a decison before the season started.

All in all everyone is a fault.
In all of the above there is only one person charged with the task of representing the interests of STGI - Millward. Dugan and his manager are there looking after themselves.

Millward was not up to the job or simply did not want to sign Dugan right from the beginning - Dugan's name erased from the whiteboard in November 2016. Either way Millward has been dishonest with Dragons fans or incompetent. Make your choice.
Mess, Millward mess.

getsmarty

Immortal
In all of the above there is only one person charged with the task of representing the interests of STGI - Millward. Dugan and his manager are there looking after themselves.

Millward was not up to the job or simply did not want to sign Dugan right from the beginning - Dugan's name erased from the whiteboard in November 2016. Either way Millward has been dishonest with Dragons fans or incompetent. Make your choice.
Mess, Millward mess.

With all due respect Possm, Millward and the club offered Dugan a contract. They waited 6 months while Duges and his manager played the market. Making comments like "Dugan's name erased from the whiteboard in November 2016. " is pure fabrication...If Millward didn't want Dugan the club would have told him in November that his services were no longer required.

Dugan's Manager allegedly was after 1 mill per season. Millward made an evaluation of the player and in the end he was right. We were never going to give Duges a 4 year deal and this became the sticking point. The Sharks allegedly offered similar money with an extra year after we pulled our deal off the table because we had other players to look after...one being Lafai who was being chased by the Storm.

Whether we agree or disagree on the Dugan saga, it is sad to see him go. In the end you can't keep them all but losing Dugan will probably hurt us long term. IMHO there are bigger question marks over our coach and the board. I am not convinced that we can win a comp with the current coach and the Board seems to have lost the hunger to be challenging for a premiership.
I hope that Paul McGregor comes good but the 2nd half of the season will be telling. We have a favorable draw ; We play both the Knights and the Titans Twice and if we can win these we will be on 28 points with the bye points included. Problem is I am afraid that the club will except making the 8 as a successful season and therein lies the true problem.

Last edited:

Cazbah Steeler

Juniors
Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed that we get the win this weekend and the boys get the hunger again. I can't see us falling out of the top 8, yet I don't see us getting back in the top 4. Gaz and Vaughan to get back to their best, and Kurt for 2 tries.

SEAT 1A

Bench
"I played under 20s at the Dragons when I was 16 so we were always following the first-grade team around. My parents were great supporters and my Nan would always come to the game," McKinnon said.

On a side note, only 16 years of age playing 20s and huge respect to Alex post injury. Hope the day can be as joyfull for him and he is able to present the cup after the match.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Agree GC
But with both tommo and JDB out knowing mary he will want to play him
If not he will play mathews.
For me I would go with Sele and host and simms on the bench and I would have luc.
I would tell simms just to get stuck in and hit hard.
Then bring on luc as the knights get tired at the end of the half.
Its worth a go.

Bench
We are never going to get a fullback live Dugan in defence. But on the other hand whoever gets the job should be better then Dugan in attack. Not that Dugan was bad it's just that the new fullback should have speed.
It may take time for the new fullback to get his bearings. If it is Dufty Or Field they should be used off the bench this year, not thrown into the deep next year.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Havn't seen Dugan change a game in a while now. He is solid at the back and still a great player but he hasn't scored a try yet this origin series and just been his reliable self. Not defending Millward but Duges hasn't set the world on fire either. Maybe game 3 he will and he probably would of with widdop/hunt in the halves. Its a tough one

thebigredv

First Grade
Havn't seen Dugan change a game in a while now. He is solid at the back and still a great player but he hasn't scored a try yet this origin series and just been his reliable self. Not defending Millward but Duges hasn't set the world on fire either. Maybe game 3 he will and he probably would of with widdop/hunt in the halves. Its a tough one

Something Dugan has always been good at, and has only got better at, since playing for us is the amongst of tries he saves. He doesn't score many but he does more of his match changing in his defence which will be hard to replace next year.

Crush

Coach
Everyone rips nightingale for being too old, too slow. Sharks fans will be saying the same thing about Dugan in 5 years time if he indeed makes it that deep into his contract.....

Latest posts