What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnathan Thurston ruled out for the season

moffla

Bench
JOHNATHAN Thurston is poised to miss the rest of the season, according to reports.
Channel 7 is claiming the champion halfback requires surgery to fix his injured shoulder.

The surgery means he will miss Origin III and is in serious doubt for the Rugby League World Cup at the end of the year.

Thurston first injured his shoulder while playing for Australia during a mid-year test and has been struggling to overcome the issue ever since.
Surgery rules halfback Johnathan Thurston out for season, World Cup in doubt

Massive shame if true...

Knightmare

Coach
Agreed. A massive shame for JT and for the send-off he deserved in Game 3 (I'd still want Qld to get spanked on their home turf again, but JT deserved to play one last time in front of his home crowd after the service he's given Qld for the last decade+)

Similar to Lockyer smashing his cheekbone after kicking a field goal in the semi against the Dragons in 2011, at least in JT's last game he played a part in keeping his team alive in their quest for silverware- and that's something that can't be taken away from him.

Feeling for guys live beave who've spoken about how much losing JT for Origin and risking injury hurts the Cowboys- I hope JT comes back for NQ next year. Hate to think this will lead to him retiring prematurely like Joey...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Meh, as NSWelshman this is great.

No one cried for the Blues in 2001 or 2006 when we lost because the GOAT was missing.

Thurston played 35 or so straight Origins so he's had a blessed run.

I do feel for Cowboys fans though whose season has been pissed away because of injuries JT has suffered in rep games.

Shorty

Staff member

No one cried for the Blues in 2001 or 2006 when we lost because the GOAT was missing.

I do feel for Cowboys fans though whose season has been pissed away because of injuries JT has suffered in rep games.
Gives Cows a chance to develop life after Thurston, almost beat Melb the other night without him.

Strange reports previous few days being overly optimistic, either smoke screen or the scans showed something.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
So if Milford is still injured as well who is Cronk's partner in the halves?

DCE, Norman, Hunt....

Munster as a dark horse? Walters said he could be a front runner to replace Boyd in the centres. If Thurston is out they might resort relying on a club level combo with Cronk rather than force someone else on him.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Gives Cows a chance to develop life after Thurston, almost beat Melb the other night without him.

Strange reports previous few days being overly optimistic, either smoke screen or the scans showed something.
That Storm team was missing some rather important players...

And I think it was just being overly optimistic. Deep down JT and the staff had to know his shoulder was f**ked.

moffla

Bench
So if Milford is still injured as well who is Cronk's partner in the halves?

DCE, Norman, Hunt....

Munster as a dark horse? Walters said he could be a front runner to replace Boyd in the centres. If Thurston is out they might resort relying on a club level combo with Cronk rather than force someone else on him.

As a NSW & Storm fan, I hope to god they overlook Munster - but I'm fairly confident they will select him. Based on form, it would be the obvious choice

moffla

Bench

I dunno, I just don't like seeing players cop news like this. Would be a terrible feeling IMO

Vozzy

Juniors
Damn every rugby league expert is going to tell us how nsw can't lose then the blues players will play like shit.