What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im always amused when people say AFL will take over if a club is dropped down a level from NRL.
So that clubs fans wouldn't travel to Allianz or anz to follow their own team but would travel to scg or homebush to follow an alien sport and a club with a generic Sydney or western Sydney name? Where's the logic in that?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Im always amused when people say AFL will take over if a club is dropped down a level from NRL.
So that clubs fans wouldn't travel to Allianz or anz to follow their own team but would travel to scg or homebush to follow an alien sport and a club with a generic Sydney or western Sydney name? Where's the logic in that?

Such a good point PR. I also don't understand (and admittedly, I am ignorant to the Sydney market) how we can say that the NRL doesn't have the fans in Eastern and Northern Sydney like we used to. Well how about we actually try and engage them instead of saying that they aren't interested. Clearly they were at some stage so it's not a foreign concept for them to follow the major code in their city.

taipan

Referee

Two words:North Sydney. Now go and do some research, instead of sniffing the Indian Ocean and the curry that wafts with it.

T-Boon

Coach

Its because people love their clubs but not the game. Thats because a lot of things have happened in the last 20 years that have made people angry and frustrated at the game. The two worst things are Super League and Craig Bellamy.

Always good to venture in this part of the forum now and then for laughs.

The NRL Clubs now run the game.

They don't want to split the money with a 17th Club let alone an 18th Club.

So unless a Club goes belly up expansion won't be happening.

This Year?

Immortal
I believe if there ever is a second Brisbane club like the Brisbane Bombers bid that vast majority of broncos supporters and members will stay on board of this great club.

I believe that the broncos fans and qlders in general are very loyal and will not jump ship like some other fans from other clubs in the NRL.

Only thing it could hurt the broncos wise is the broncos player talent pool in the Brisbane are and qld in general that is about it, but we will still be the biggest club in the NRL.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

I think a cross town rivalry would be good for Brisbane and the BRL would see more players in 1st grade in their home city instead of Interstate or out of their region. I don;t think the Broncos would be hurt at all, if anything it would create more interest and engage the people in Brisbane who are anti-Bronco.

T-Boon

Coach
I think a cross town rivalry would be good for Brisbane and the BRL would see more players in 1st grade in their home city instead of Interstate or out of their region. I don;t think the Broncos would be hurt at all, if anything it would create more interest and engage the people in Brisbane who are anti-Bronco.

Agreed. It won't hurt Broncos, it will force them to become more efficient. But it will hurt the Storm who are the quasi second Brisbane team now. They poach too many Brisbane players that should be with the Broncos, Brisbane 2 or Titans and it has meant they haven't had to develop the Storms own backyard.

T-Boon

Coach
The Titans would be a beneficiary of a second Brisbane team because more SEQ footballers stay in and around SEQ starting families, rather than heading to Melbourne. Those players will likely want to stay around SEQ the same way players in Sydney tend to all shift between Sydney clubs.

axl rose

Bench
The Titans would be a beneficiary of a second Brisbane team because more SEQ footballers stay in and around SEQ starting families, rather than heading to Melbourne.

Fair point. Melbourne is going down the shitter like Sydney these days. Depends on the age of the player, though, if young they might want to go to the City for more stuff to do then then probably go back home as they mature a bit.

Golden point

Juniors
The Titans would be a beneficiary of a second Brisbane team because more SEQ footballers stay in and around SEQ starting families, rather than heading to Melbourne. Those players will likely want to stay around SEQ the same way players in Sydney tend to all shift between Sydney clubs.
Hahaha. Don't know where to start with what's wrong with that...hahaha

Greenstar5

Juniors
Would like to see a second Brisbane club, but it will be a while off. What I want to see is the Titans really step into that 2nd club. I feel like they are a club that just sort of exist.

First Titans and Broncos dont play home games on the same weekend. As I have mentioned before, 1 game in SEQ each round.

They both play each other twice a season. Share the love, 1 team gets the round 1 home game the other gets the first derby of the year.

Come up with a derby name.

Trial a derby on Sunday night with the Queensland Labour day public holiday in March. At least have a game on Sunday night that weekend. Titans could take this a make it their own.

Maybe the Titans could play a home game at Suncorp against the Broncos on a Saturday night 530pm time slot. Run extra trains up from the Coast to Roma Street. Once the Gold Coast line extra tracks are completed this will help. See if they cant get 30k plus!

Put 2 massive billboards on the M1 Pac Hwy at Logan Gold Coast council border. With each club and saying this is our area!!

alien

Referee
Maybe add TWO more Brisbane clubs to the NRL? Redcliffe Dolphins and Ipswich Jets?

Reactions: siv

Perth Red

Post Whore
Two words:North Sydney. Now go and do some research, instead of sniffing the Indian Ocean and the curry that wafts with it.

I'm amazed afl hasn't been able to take over all these Brisbane regions given the city only has one club. Sydney rl can't even hold one suburb with nine teams!

Golden point

Juniors
Maybe add TWO more Brisbane clubs to the NRL? Redcliffe Dolphins and Ipswich Jets?
Since the population of redcliffe is about 10,000 would mean if 100% of the population attended the game it would be the smallest crowds in the nrl. So umm NO. No one likes Ipswich or the people there and people from there rarely admit it.
If you have a team based in Ipswich it can't be the Jets or even called Ipswich because you would alienate massive populations in surrounding areas like toowomba , Logan or even people in brisbane that don't want to follow Broncos . Besides you want big business ( sponsors) in brisbane $$.
Best bet is to call it brisbane something but have your base somewhere between Logan - Ipswich and brisbane and market to those centers to make it feel as though you represent them. Probably play all games at suncorp apart from 1 in Ipswich 1 in toowomba. Play some trial games in Dalby, Chinchilla and maybe charleville.

alien

Referee
Since the population of redcliffe is about 10,000 would mean if 100% of the population attended the game it would be the smallest crowds in the nrl. So umm NO.
As if you'd only consider the population of the suburb and none of the population around Redcliffe. Redcliffe is in the Moreton Bay region that has a population of over 400,000.

Latest posts