What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Players Dont Care

Coffs dragon

Bench
Started with a bang after supposedly some time pre season in a "boot camp." During the bye round, Mary & team need to visit a "reboot camp "to restart the failing system. The team has totally wilted and look physically & mentally f.cked!!!
McJetski needs to get off his power boat & friggin re-charge the team by dropping some underwhelming anchors & inject some youthful speed.

Crush

Coach
The coach is the linchpin - he is the leader that inspires his troops.
He is also supposed to provide the technical and strategic nous to devise game plans and adapt them to the opposition we are playing.
I admire the way you stick up for McGregor but he IS the main reason for performances like today - and last week - and the week before that.
At some point you have to face the fact that we do not have a strong coach.
I just did a quick google on his qualifications and they speak for themselves:
"McGregor joined the Dragons' coaching staff in 2002 as a strength and conditioning coach, a position he also held with the NSW Blues.[6]

In 2009, with Wayne Bennett joining the club, McGregor left and took up the head coaching job at the Western Suburbs Red Devils club in the Illawarra Rugby League competition.[7]

McGregor coached the Illawarra NSW Cup team in 2012 and 2013 before taking up the assistant position at St George Illawarra.
His successor at the Illawarra Cutters was another former Illawarra player, Ian Millward.

Following the announcement of the sacking of incumbent first grade coach, Steve Price, McGregor was elevated to coach of the top tier team in May 2014, initially until the end of the 2014 season.[8] Following improved form, McGregor was announced as the full-time head coach for the next three seasons until the end of 2017.[9]"

He was the assistant coach to Price!
Bennett didn't want him around.
What criteria were used to make this appointment?
Certainly not based on any measurable FG coaching pedigree.

If we all want to stop the angst we have to invest in a quality coach.
No compromises or half measures.
The Players will thank you,
The Fans will thank you.
The sponsors will thank you.
My point was, and the moment I half defend the coach that point gets lost because everyone attacks, that the players are to blame here as well as the coach. Its easy to just say its the coaches fault because fans love the players. Yes the coach is the lynch pin but surely in a lot of cases if the players don't execute then its not the coaches fault entirely? Widdop said in presser "we just didnt execute". You can argue that mary didn't get the boys up for the game but he didn't tell them to run over the sideline, drop the balls and give away stupid penalties.
Its a combination of both can you not concede that?

hazzbeen

Bench
My point was, and the moment I half defend the coach that point gets lost because everyone attacks, that the players are to blame here as well as the coach. Its easy to just say its the coaches fault because fans love the players. Yes the coach is the lynch pin but surely in a lot of cases if the players don't execute then its not the coaches fault entirely? Widdop said in presser "we just didnt execute". You can argue that mary didn't get the boys up for the game but he didn't tell them to run over the sideline, drop the balls and give away stupid penalties.
Its a combination of both can you not concede that?
Crush I enjoy your posts not that I agree with all you say , but mate how long does Mary need to get the players and coaching right . If you think about it we have probably only had about 12 good games over the past 2 and a half year s under him and that was when we managed to put together 6 wins on each occasion . For me he is not up to it , maybe later on down the track , but not now ....

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Started with a bang after supposedly some time pre season in a "boot camp." During the bye round, Mary & team need to visit a "reboot camp "to restart the failing system. The team has totally wilted and look physically & mentally f.cked!!!
McJetski needs to get off his power boat & friggin re-charge the team by dropping some underwhelming anchors & inject some youthful speed.
The whole strategy of adopting the 'power game plan' was flawed and developed without proper consideration long term. The idea of winning on the back of relentless forward dominance could only ever be successful if a healthy reserve of top grade forwards are available to participate in a rotation scheme whereby fatigued and injured players can be repaced with reserves who are up to first grade standard.

Our forwards are fatigued and busted. It seems Packer is no longer willing to carry the load required, Vaughan and Frizell are out injured and the other forwards are either not up to first grade standard or not able to dominate anymore.

There are many other reasons for this slump but I believe fatigue is the main reason. The players were performing way above normal capacity and now are so tired and broken that they just can't get there right now.

Life's Good

Coach
Crush I enjoy your posts not that I agree with all you say , but mate how long does Mary need to get the players and coaching right . If you think about it we have probably only had about 12 good games over the past 2 and a half year s under him and that was when we manged to put together 6 wins on each occasion . For me he is not up to it , maybe later on down the track , but not now ....
Perfect reply. Thing is you can't blame Mary for dropped balls, missed tackles. I get that and agree. Where it is on him is picking players out of form, not working on players deficiencies(Nene running like cotton wool), a tactical game plan(why are we so poor at getting repeat sets??). All these things are on him and are his responsibility so he is either too clueless to fix it or with his new contract doesn't care.

Crush

Coach
Crush I enjoy your posts not that I agree with all you say , but mate how long does Mary need to get the players and coaching right . If you think about it we have probably only had about 12 good games over the past 2 and a half year s under him and that was when we manged to put together 6 wins on each occasion . For me he is not up to it , maybe later on down the track , but not now ....
Thanks Hazz, I enjoy your posts too mate. The same could be said for Widdop and Lafai. They have played about 12 good games over the past couple of years. Wouldn't you agree?

jeffdragon

Bench
100% right
It seems evem the tigers knights and co want to play .
We seem like we dont
We beat the warriors with players missing .
No excuses, if duges and friz injured dont play them
No reason we couldnt win yesterday's game
All bull

thebigredv

First Grade
I noticed a Sydney Morning Herald headline which read something like Blues Stars Injured as Titans Pile Agony onto Dragons.

Tell me one player who looked like they were actually in agony after losing that game.

I never understand the logic of these arguments. Surely you show your commitment with your performance on the field over the 80 minutes? I think based on this a lot of our guys don't care much. Particularly our great captain who seems happy to play in a dinner suit now hes got his contract extension.

I don't care what players do after the game finishes, it is meaningless. Catching up and having a chat with your mate on the opposition is fine by me. Makes no difference to anything

j0nesy

Bench
Ah Mau, Thompson and JDB were excellent. Sims wasn't too bad either. I thought McInness had his worst game for us and Widdop was very poor. Packer was weak, Lafai and Nighty tried hard but had poor games.

Unlucky to lose Lawrie, Dugan and Friz all at similar times. Still, they look poorly structured when attacking the opposition line. We look far more dangerous when our forwards are offloading 50 meters out. Someone needs to tell them that it's ok to offload near the line as well. We need to play it more in the forwards and look for offloads, even close to the line. This dump it out the back and let the first man go play is far too predictable.

Mann has copped a lot of flak but I thought he was ok, certainly no worse than Mccrone.

Old Timer

Coach
Thanks Hazz, I enjoy your posts too mate. The same could be said for Widdop and Lafai. They have played about 12 good games over the past couple of years. Wouldn't you agree?
Crush
If your evaluation of Widdop and Lafai is correct then whose fault is it that they have played as many games as they have?
If Bennett or Bellamy came in tomorrow you can bet your life that changes would be instantly made to style and roster and an end would be put to things that don't work and people who don't perform would be hooked.
That never happens under this coach and thats why he gets the criticism he gets and the board of directors get their criticism for picking a clueless idiot to run the coaching operation.
I had lots of people telling me how good it was that Mc Fookknuckle did "boot camp" with the players, well IMO that is indeed part of the trouble as he is not a player he is a coach and do you think Bellamy and Bennett would be running around with the players doing that stuff?
He runs the drills and practises with the team which is insanity as there is no separation of powers and the players consider him a mate and a good bloke and the necessary decisions a coach has to make become more difficult for him.
Simply not professional enough.

Crush

Coach
Crush
If your evaluation of Widdop and Lafai is correct then whose fault is it that they have played as many games as they have?
If Bennett or Bellamy came in tomorrow you can bet your life that changes would be instantly made to style and roster and an end would be put to things that don't work and people who don't perform would be hooked.
That never happens under this coach and thats why he gets the criticism he gets and the board of directors get their criticism for picking a clueless idiot to run the coaching operation.
I had lots of people telling me how good it was that Mc Fookknuckle did "boot camp" with the players, well IMO that is indeed part of the trouble as he is not a player he is a coach and do you think Bellamy and Bennett would be running around with the players doing that stuff?
He runs the drills and practises with the team which is insanity as there is no separation of powers and the players consider him a mate and a good bloke and the necessary decisions a coach has to make become more difficult for him.
Simply not professional enough.
OT, the season is over. We will not make the top 8. The coach, the players, the board have let the fans down once again. I will always support the dragons but I won't get excited about watching their games for the rest of this year. The writing is on the wall.
You called it. It was a false start. We ambushed teams before they had starting clicking. Now the other teams have well and truly overtaken us and we won't get close to the top teams. In fact I doubt we will even beat the mediocre teams from here.
Its over for 2017.

Players have got contract extensions, McIdiot got his contract.
Players don't care because they know Mary won't drop them.
The pride in the big red V no longer counts for anything.
the only big red v I saw last night was in the stands being worn by the fans that shit outfit they wore last night has nothing to do with st George or even Illawarra for that matter

latemail

Juniors
To put it plain and simple our roster and coach is not up to NRL standard
To many slow backs and weak forwards one out shit set after set so predictable and telegraphed
And let's not forget the total inept front office that has been riding the gravy train for decades and will continue to do so until they bleed it dry till the point of no return

possm

Coach
Ah Mau, Thompson and JDB were excellent. Sims wasn't too bad either. I thought McInness had his worst game for us and Widdop was very poor. Packer was weak, Lafai and Nighty tried hard but had poor games.

Unlucky to lose Lawrie, Dugan and Friz all at similar times. Still, they look poorly structured when attacking the opposition line. We look far more dangerous when our forwards are offloading 50 meters out. Someone needs to tell them that it's ok to offload near the line as well. We need to play it more in the forwards and look for offloads, even close to the line. This dump it out the back and let the first man go play is far too predictable.

Mann has copped a lot of flak but I thought he was ok, certainly no worse than Mccrone.
The part of the game plan 'McInnes to send the ball to forwards and then to Widdop only' was a flawed idea. The Titans only had to defend the centre and then close Widdop down on the left side. This is not the first time McInnes has been instructed to do this when Mann is playing halfback.

I sure hope the feud between Millward and Mary is not spilling onto the field. Mary's actions all season appeared to show a distain for Mann. The recent extension of Mann may not have been what Mary wanted.

I was watching this all game and as soon as Mann was shifted to the wing, and McCrone came onto the field, the ball was sent to the left side for McCrone.

getsmarty

Immortal
To put it plain and simple our roster and coach is not up to NRL standard
To many slow backs and weak forwards one out shit set after set so predictable and telegraphed
And let's not forget the total inept front office that has been riding the gravy train for decades and will continue to do so until they bleed it dry till the point of no return

Yep...cue the inevitable we don't have the Depth in the squad excuse from the coach. This has been used since 2015.