What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Rolling with it: McGregor confident Dragons can clear mid-season hurdles

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

29 Jun 2017, 4:30 p.m.
THE home shed at UOW Jubilee Oval still needs a new coat of Dulux after Dragons coach Paul McGregor’s paint-stripping spray at halftime of his side’s eventual win over Newcastle last week.

Normally a composed character, McGregor was entitled to come in off the long run after watching his side concede 28 points in 20 minutes to side hunting just their third win of the season.

The response was emphatic, with the Dragons piling on 22 unanswered points to stay within reach of the top four.

r0_0_3000_1919_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LATE SURGE: The Dragons stormed home against Newcastle. Picture: Getty Images

Had the Knights held on, it would hardly have sounded the death knell on the Dragons finals charge, but McGregor said it as still a line in the sand moment.

“The next 40 minutes was not going to define our year, but it was going to define what we’re about,” McGregor said.

“Browny [Nathan Brown] said they played their best 30 minutes of football in that half and we probably played our worst.

“I’ve been very impressed with how we’ve gone about our work this year and the boys should be very proud of that. I just thought we didn't want to give that away.

“When you’re behind by that score-line you’re not looking to win, you’re looking to turn around what you did wrong and then the win will come on the back of it.

“I liked what we did in the second half, I liked the turnaround and the way the boys put the words into action after halftime. To score 22 points to zero in the second half is a really good way to go into this week.”

It was one of just three wins from their past eight games, all against sides outside the top eight, but McGregor put the the tough run down to the regular ebbs and flows of an NRL season.

“At some stage during the year every team’s going to have a little bit of a flat spot, what’s important is how you come out of it at the other end,” McGregor said.

“We’re a good enough side to score points and if we give ourselves even possession and a good opportunity we’ll score points.

“We play risk-reward game of footy. If you look at our off-loads, our line-breaks and the way we play… there’s a bit of risk in it but there’s a lot of reward in it.

“At some stage you’re going to give errors away and you’re going to get penalties go against you. It’s your resilience to overcome that that’s really important. We’ve done that really well for most of the year, we’ve just fallen away from it in the last three weeks.”

The loss to the Knights has prompted at least one change, with newly re-signed utility Kurt Mann getting a start at No. 7 against Gold Coast on Friday, with Josh McCrone shifting to the bench.

“I couldn’t let Kurt not play in the starting 13 to be totally honest,” McGregor said.

“The way he plays, his determination, the way he competes on everything… he’s just too valuable to our side at the moment so we needed to find a spot for him.

“Josh has been a real big part of what we’ve done this year and still important to us. He’s in our 17.”

The shift will thrust greater organisational responsibilities on skipper Gareth Widdop, but McGregor is confident he can form a potent combination with Mann.

“The way we play won’t change too much, we’ll just get more of a running threat from Kurt and obviously there’ll be a bit more emphasis on Gareth in our kicking game,” he said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4761158/dragons-line-in-the-sand-moment/?cs=3713

Drag Queen

Bench
Farrell left high and dry after injury-enforced retirement

29 Jun 2017, 11:30 a.m.
r0_0_3000_2084_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CUT SHORT: Dylan Farrell has has told The Locker Room podcast that he's received next to no support from the game since injury forced him into early retirement in 2016. Picture: Getty Images

IT’S always a shame to see a player of great talent not realise their potential through injury.

Unfortunately that’s the fate that befell former Rabbitohs and Dragons centre Dylan Farrell. It’s a reality he’s accepted as he told former NRL player, now media-man, Denan Kemp’s The Locker Room podcast this week.

What he’s had to endure post-retirement, no one in the game should accept. In a small snippet of the full interview released on Tuesday, Farrell revealed that, 19 months since being forced into retirement by a back injury, he’s yet to receive any of the insurance pay-out he’s rightfully entitled to.

Dylan Farrell speaks to Denan Kemp about his post-retirement struggles. Video: The Locker Room

He’s also heard only silence from the Dragons and the NRL as he’s sought support in chasing it up. He’s had to sell his house and move home amid financial difficulties that put him “at the lowest of the low.”

For all the game’s talk of investment in, and prioritising of, player welfare, it’s a sad reality that when players are no longer an on-field asset, they quickly become expendable.

Hopefully Kemp’s effort in bringing the story to light will help Farrell, a family-man and one of the nicest blokes you’ll meet in the game, get what he’s entitled to.

Hopefully it also serves as a wake-up call for the game and and a reminder of that the duty of care it owes it’s players doesn’t cease the minute they walk off the field.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...rrell-story-an-indictment-of-the-nrl/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Mid-season skids not terminal for Dragons

29 Jun 2017, 8:30 p.m.
r0_0_3000_1967_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BRUISED: The Dragons have endured a tough middle stretch of the season but remain in contention for a top four finish. Picture: Getty Images

HAS the Dragons 2017 bubble burst? It’s a question plenty are asking given the wobbles the early-season tearaways have hit through the mid-part of the season.

They’re certainly in a slump. A 22-point comeback in the second half against Newcastle last week shouldn’t be used to paper over that fact.

They did well to regroup and get the win over the Knights, but it came with the help of a capitulation from a side who’s only real goal this season is to avoid a third straight wooden spoon.

Knights coach Nathan Brown frankly admitted his side froze having never been up by that much. Prior to that second 40 minutes, the Dragons had been out-scored 68-22 over five halves of football.

They’re the cold hard facts but, as if most often the case in rugby league, things are rarely as good, and almost never as bad as they seem.

With the obvious year-in year-out exception of the Melbourne Storm, it’s almost universally acknowledged that teams, particularly those who shoot out of the blocks, will hit a plateau..

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan voiced as much in the wake of his side’s 32-18 loss to a then 11th-placed Dragons in round 23 last year.

“It is not panic stations,’’ Flanagan said.

“Some things just aren't working for us like they were earlier in the year but we'll keep working hard. Good teams sometimes fall out of form but they find it again.”

We know how that ended.

It would be the height of optimism to suggest the Dragons are on that trajectory, but a place in the finals is there’s to lose, while they are near enough to a top four berth if good enough.

At the moment they have the look of a boxer ahead on points, but put on their backside by a big punch. The win is still there for the taking, if they can just ride out the next few rounds and get their legs back under them.

In their recent performances, they’ve looked a tired side, but not one entirely bereft of ideas as they were last season. They’re not looking for the formula, they have it and it’s a simple forward-driven power game.

Gareth Widdop was the form player in the competition on the back of it in the Dragons 7-2 start to the season before getting injured in a golden-point loss to the Roosters.

They’ve also been without Josh Dugan for five games this season. The loss of their two best attacking players would upset any side’s apple-cart.

They haven’t been the same side after their round 12 bye. In that time they’ve only managed wins over the two sides running last and second-last but, if they can beat the Titans on Friday, they’ll have gone 3-2 into their next bye in round 18.

It makes Friday’s clash on the Gold Coast a crucial one ahead of the chance to refresh and reboot their charge from in, or on the edge of, the top four.

Their run home is a favourable one. In their last eight games they play only two sides currently in the top eight – Manly in Wollongong in round 20 and Brisbane at Suncorp in round 24.

A top four finish is achievable from here… it’s just a matter of rolling with the punches.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...bly-dragons-can-rise-from-the-canvas/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
RED V RE-SIGNING

KURT Mann will be in red and white for another two seasons, with the Dragons announcing his retention until the end of 2019 on Thursday morning.

Mann has steadily grown as a versatile backline option for Paul McGregor after a rocky start to his Red V career last year, punctuated by a failed fullback stint at the start of 2016.

1d08f2e1fbe45a9c9e6656ce9dab470f

Kurt Mann is staying at Saints.Source: Getty Images
But after topping the club’s tryscoring list last year with 10 four-pointers, the former Storm utility has proved handy this season as well and joins the likes of Gareth Widdop, Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin and Paul Vaughan among a host of others to extend their stays at the club.

“What we’ve really noticed about Kurt is his ability to play numerous positions and he’ll have an opportunity to challenge for the fullback role next year as we aren’t going externally to replace that position,” Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward said.

“We believe with his age that his next two years will be some of his stronger years, not only developing his skill set but physically too. He’s an important signing for our squad moving forward.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/1571c5c70656f90e8763bf44165073e1

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra could give Sandor Earl a fresh start

St George Illawarra have emerged as a possible destination for Sandor Earl as he attempts to make a comeback following his drugs suspension.

Earl's four-year ban for taking and trafficking performance-enhancing drugs expires on August 29, clearing the way for a potential NRL return. Given it would be more than four years since his last game, it would be one of the game's most remarkable comebacks.

The former Roosters, Panthers and Raiders winger has opened up an F45 Training franchise in Melbourne, which he now calls home after spending a chunk of his suspension in Thailand. For that reason, the Storm would be one of his preferred destinations and there have been discussions about the prospect of joining Craig Bellamy's squad next season. Given his long lay-off and colourful history, any Melbourne offer would likely come in the form of a minimum wage or train-and-trial deal.

However, a new suitor has emerged in the form of the Dragons. The Red V have already lost Taane Milne to Wests Tigers, while several other outside backs remain off contract. The Dragons are looking to bolster their three-quarter depth and have identified Earl as a player of interest.

The Dragons have a track record of helping errant players turn their lives around, most notably in the work they did with Russell Packer off the field. They also helped Josh Dugan reach his potential after a string of misdemeanours threatened his career.

Earl has been working with strength and conditioning coach Christian Woodford in a bid to build up the fitness required to make it back into the NRL. The 27-year-old has been documenting his journey along the way while working as a personal trainer.

In a recent interview with Fairfax Media, Earl said he was keen to be remembered for more than just his drugs dramas.

1498912114395.jpg

Comeback trail: Former Canberra Raider Sandor Earl. Photo: Jeffrey Chan
"The public had their perception based on some pretty crazy media articles during the first six months. But now people have got the facts and the perception has changed.

"I don't want people to feel sorry for me, but at the end of the day, Iwas hard done by. I think everyone gets that. People around me want to see me get back into doing what I enjoy doing and have a crack. Once I start playing, everything else can be put into the past. Then I can go out on my own terms, that's a big motivator."

Earl will need to convince the NRL that he is a fit and proper person for registration before he is given the green light to return.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...andor-earl-a-fresh-start-20170701-gx2s2q.html

Drag Queen

Bench
St George Illawarra could give Sandor Earl a fresh start

St George Illawarra have emerged as a possible destination for Sandor Earl as he attempts to make a comeback following his drugs suspension.

Earl's four-year ban for taking and trafficking performance-enhancing drugs expires on August 29, clearing the way for a potential NRL return. Given it would be more than four years since his last game, it would be one of the game's most remarkable comebacks.

The former Roosters, Panthers and Raiders winger has opened up an F45 Training franchise in Melbourne, which he now calls home after spending a chunk of his suspension in Thailand. For that reason, the Storm would be one of his preferred destinations and there have been discussions about the prospect of joining Craig Bellamy's squad next season. Given his long lay-off and colourful history, any Melbourne offer would likely come in the form of a minimum wage or train-and-trial deal.

However, a new suitor has emerged in the form of the Dragons. The Red V have already lost Taane Milne to Wests Tigers, while several other outside backs remain off contract. The Dragons are looking to bolster their three-quarter depth and have identified Earl as a player of interest.

The Dragons have a track record of helping errant players turn their lives around, most notably in the work they did with Russell Packer off the field. They also helped Josh Dugan reach his potential after a string of misdemeanours threatened his career.

Earl has been working with strength and conditioning coach Christian Woodford in a bid to build up the fitness required to make it back into the NRL. The 27-year-old has been documenting his journey along the way while working as a personal trainer.

In a recent interview with Fairfax Media, Earl said he was keen to be remembered for more than just his drugs dramas.

1498912114395.jpg

Comeback trail: Former Canberra Raider Sandor Earl. Photo: Jeffrey Chan
"The public had their perception based on some pretty crazy media articles during the first six months. But now people have got the facts and the perception has changed.

"I don't want people to feel sorry for me, but at the end of the day, Iwas hard done by. I think everyone gets that. People around me want to see me get back into doing what I enjoy doing and have a crack. Once I start playing, everything else can be put into the past. Then I can go out on my own terms, that's a big motivator."

Earl will need to convince the NRL that he is a fit and proper person for registration before he is given the green light to return.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...andor-earl-a-fresh-start-20170701-gx2s2q.html

Drag Queen

Bench
I'm usually passive about a player's past but I don't want him. Dugan got the pass from me (Who the f**k drinks Cruisers anyway). I did not want Packer though. Thugs and drugs...............

getsmarty

Immortal
Illawarra Get Better of Mounties
Sun 2nd July, 01:00PM
A A

1498964514931.jpg

Illawarra secured a gutsy 24-10 victory over the Mounties at a chilly GIO Stadium Canberra on Saturday evening.

With both sides coming off last start losses, both sides were eager to bounce back, which was evident early with both sides exchanging blows in the early stages.

Illawarra were first to score through Kalifa Faifai Loa, when he evaded defenders to cross out wide to get the visitors off to a dream start.

Mounties hit back a short while later through Jack Nelson to gain the lead, before Faifai Loa found himself amongst the action again, racing in for a first half double to turn the game back into Illawarra’s favour.

Fellow winger Izaac Thompson followed suit, scoring an impressive four pointer to give his side a 12-6 lead at the break.

Mounties were first to trouble the scores after the intermission through Dominic Reardon, which got his side within two points of the defending premiers.

The visitors responded through Matt Dufty, with the livewire fullback dissecting would-be defenders and racing underneath the posts to once again extend his side's lead heading into the final quarter.

Illawarra muscled up in defence throughout the final quarter denying Mounties any opportunity to cross the stripe. Luciano Leilua would round out the scoring when he barged over on the full-time siren granting Illawarra a well earned 24-10 victory.

Illawarra 24 (K Faifai Loa 2, I Thompson, M Dufty, L Leilua tries; P Herbert 2 goals) def Mounties 10 (J Nelson, D Reardon tries; I John goal)

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/02/illawarra_get_better.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Busted Dragons regroup after Titans loss

2 Jul 2017, 4:30 p.m.
r0_207_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WOUNDED: Tyson Frizell. Picture: Getty Images

A ROUND 18 bye has come at a good time for the Dragons, but coach Paul McGregor says it won’t be the cure-all to his side’s woes as he looks to manage a roster riddled with niggling injuries.

Origin stars Tyson Frizell and Josh Dugan are expected to be named in NSW coach Laurie Daley’s squad for Origin III on Monday morning, but they’ll enter camp under an injury cloud having come from the field in the Dragons loss to Gold Coast on Friday night.

Frizell, who required pain-killing injections to a rib injury to get on the paddock for the Blues in game two, suffered another cartilage injury in his back while Dugan was left nursing a badly corked knee.

The pair were instrumental in overturning a 28-10 halftime deficit against Newcastle in round 16, but McGregor said that the bumps and bruises caught up with them against the Titans

"We rolled the dice with a couple of them going in to be honest. We’re pretty busted at the moment,” McGregor said.

"Friz took an injury in and copped another one during the game. It's a different injury [to Frizell], it’s in his back.

“That's why he didn't come back on. He was able to come back on but he was limping when he was out there for most of the first half anyway so I didn't want to put him back out there.

“You’ve got to look after the player. He had an ankle and a rib going in and then he copped anther [injury] so you’ve got to look at the player’s welfare.

"Duges had a cork and got another knock on that just on top of his knee."

The upcoming bye will spare the Dragons the task of playing without their two biggest names this week, though both will need to be carefully managed if they are to back up from game three against the Raiders in Canberra two days later.

Should Frizell be ruled out of the decider he’ll almost certainly miss the clash with the Raiders. It won’t ease the burden on the Dragons, with Jack de Belin looming as the likely replacement for the Blues should Frizell have to sit out game three.

Paul Vaughan is also 50-50 at best to take on his former club in a match shaping as a crucial one as the Dragons look to recapture momentum towards the finals over their final eight games.

McGregor admitted his side is struggling at the moment, but believes they can rebuild their finals charge on the other side of the week off.

"We haven't had the same team on the park since round eight. That's the truth of it," McGregor said.

"That's not an excuse but that's the truth. A few blokes are tired and busted and playing with needles. I don't know how healthy we'll come out of the bye either.

“We've still got a few blokes that, if they play Origin, we play two days after it. We play against Canberra on the Friday night so we'll have to see how they pull up.

“It’s pretty hard backing up. We’ve asked them to do it a couple of times and we played without them once against Parra.

“Paul Vaughan is still out, Jack de Belin hasn’t done much work, he had a strained calf from Origin camp as well.

“Every side’s going to go through a little bit and, at the moment, we’re going through ours. There's no doubt we're still in a good position to make finals footy.

“The boys will get away for five days to freshen up mentally and physically and we’ll regroup and go again.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4765054/battered-dragons-limp-into-timely-bye/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons trio selected in NSW Blues' squad
NRL.com

Mon 3rd July, 10:00AM
A A

1499043105371.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons trio Josh Dugan, Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin have been selected in the NSW Blues 18-man squad for Origin III.

It's the first time NSW have kept an unchanged line-up through a State of Origin series since 1996.

NSW won Game One 28-4 in a dominant display, before the Maroons rallied to win Game Two 18-16 in the final minutes, setting the scene for an epic Origin decider at Suncorp Stadium.

NSW Blues

1. James Tedesco
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Dugan
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Blake Ferguson
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Aaron Woods
9. Nathan Peats
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Josh Jackson
13. Tyson Frizell

Interchange:

14. David Klemmer
15. Wade Graham
16. Jake Trbojevic
17. Jack Bird
18. Jack de Belin

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/03/dragons_trio_selecte.html

Drag Queen

Bench
NRL.com

A A

1499043105371.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons trio Josh Dugan, Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin have been selected in the NSW Blues 18-man squad for Origin III.

It's the first time NSW have kept an unchanged line-up through a State of Origin series since 1996.

NSW won Game One 28-4 in a dominant display, before the Maroons rallied to win Game Two 18-16 in the final minutes, setting the scene for an epic Origin decider at Suncorp Stadium.

NSW Blues

1. James Tedesco
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Dugan
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Blake Ferguson
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Aaron Woods
9. Nathan Peats
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Josh Jackson
13. Tyson Frizell

Interchange:

14. David Klemmer
15. Wade Graham
16. Jake Trbojevic
17. Jack Bird
18. Jack de Belin

NRL.com

A A

1499043105371.jpg

NSW Blues

1. James Tedesco
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Dugan
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Blake Ferguson
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Aaron Woods
9. Nathan Peats
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Josh Jackson
13. Tyson Frizell

Interchange:

14. David Klemmer
15. Wade Graham
16. Jake Trbojevic
17. Jack Bird
18. Jack de Belin

Jeez I hope de Belin gets a run. I'm stoked for him.

getsmarty

Immortal
Injury cloud hanging over Blues stars
ADAM PENGILLY
3 Jul 2017, 8:23 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WOUNDED: Tyson Frizell. Picture: Getty Images

The Dragons have urged NSW medical staff to make Tyson Frizell's long-term health a priority as the Blues hardman's fresh rib cartilage problem threatens to scuttle Laurie Daley's plans to use the same 17 for the entire series.

Frizell's latest blow – separate to the one he needed a pain-killing injection to subdue to play in Origin II – has raised the prospect of his St George Illawarra teammate Jack de Belin making his NSW debut in one of the most anticipated interstate showdowns in history.

NSW officials received the results of scans on Frizell minutes before naming an unchanged line-up for the State of Origin decider on Wednesday week with Frizell jumping skipper Boyd Cordner (calf) to the front of the doubtful queue.

The Dragons updated their fans on Monday on the prognosis of Frizell and NSW centre Josh Dugan (quadriceps), both of whom failed to finish the Red V's loss to the Titans last Friday night.

Frizell is unlikely to be able to train properly until later in the week – like Cordner – hampering Daley's preparations as the Blues seek to rebound from a demoralising Origin II loss.

But he remains desperate to atone for NSW's game-two meltdown despite wincing when colliding with Gold Coast defenders while on club duty.

"Tyson came from the field on Friday night with a rib injury which occurred upon impact with the ground," Dragons head of athletic performance Nathan Pickworth said. "He had a scan over the weekend and it has revealed a new rib cartilage injury.

"We advised the NSW Blues medical staff of the results with indications on Tyson's playing and training capacity for Origin III and the importance of Tyson's welfare in their training and playing plans throughout this camp."

r0_0_3000_2007_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WAITING GAME: Blues coach Laurie Daley is facing an up-hill battle to retain his 17. Picture: Getty Images

James Tedesco (ankle) is considered a certain starter despite not playing for the Tigers since Origin II.

But Daley is happy to wait until much later in his side's Kingscliff camp before making a decision on Frizell and Cordner, his damaging edge back-rowers who have been dynamic at various stages throughout the first two games.

"There's some concern there, but we thought we would give the guys an opportunity to prove their fitness," Daley said. "We started with this team, we want to finish with this team."

Daley was a member of the last NSW side to keep the same squad in all three games when the Blues swept the Maroons in 1996.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4768537/dragons-fears-for-frizell-health/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Three Junior Dragons Selected in NSW U16s
NSWRL.com.au

Tue 4th July, 01:00PM
A A

1499140414210.png;pvd47258a630ed17e5

Junior Dragons trio Aaron Schoupp, Max Feagai and Blake Dowel have been selected in the NSWRL under-16s team to play Queensland in the curtain raiser to State of Origin III.

Brad Fittler is head coach of the side, with fellow True Blue Danny Buderus once again joining the camp as an assistant as he did for the successful under-18s program just a few weeks ago.

NSW Under-16s:

1. Albert Hopoate (Manly Sea Eagles)

2. Cooper Jenkins (Newcastle Knights)

3. Bradman Best (Newcastle Knights)

4. Aaron Schoupp (Illawarra Steelers)

5. Max Feagai (Illawarra Steelers)

6. Kaeo Weekes (Manly Sea Eagles)

7. Thomas Demeio (Cronulla Sharks)

8. Samuel Hughes (Parramatta Eels)

9. Jed Edwards (Parramatta Eels)

10. Filimaua Filimaua-Tau (Manly Sea Eagles)

11. Ben Trbojevic (Manly Sea Eagles)

12. Josh Schuster (Manly Sea Eagles)

13. Jaron Purcell (Newcastle Knights)

14. Tyler Field (Parramatta Eels)

15. David Hollis (Parramatta Eels)

16. Harry Croker (Newcastle Knights)

17. Blake Dowel (Illawarra Steelers)

18. Kobe Rugless (Sydney Roosters)

Head Coach: Brad Fittler

Assistant Coach: Danny Buderus

Development Coach: Scott Jones

Queensland named their side on Sunday.

The NSW v Queensland Under-16s clash will be live streamed on www.NSWRL.com.au.

Stay locked on www.NSWRL.com.au throughout the lead-up to the clash for exclusive insight, interviews and analysis of the Under-16s players and side.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/04/three_junior_dragons.af_news.html

Three Junior Dragons Selected in NSW U16s
NSWRL.com.au

Tue 4th July, 01:00PM
A A

1499140414210.png;pvd47258a630ed17e5

Junior Dragons trio Aaron Schoupp, Max Feagai and Blake Dowel have been selected in the NSWRL under-16s team to play Queensland in the curtain raiser to State of Origin III.

Brad Fittler is head coach of the side, with fellow True Blue Danny Buderus once again joining the camp as an assistant as he did for the successful under-18s program just a few weeks ago.

NSW Under-16s:

1. Albert Hopoate (Manly Sea Eagles)

2. Cooper Jenkins (Newcastle Knights)

3. Bradman Best (Newcastle Knights)

4. Aaron Schoupp (Illawarra Steelers)

5. Max Feagai (Illawarra Steelers)

6. Kaeo Weekes (Manly Sea Eagles)

7. Thomas Demeio (Cronulla Sharks)

8. Samuel Hughes (Parramatta Eels)

9. Jed Edwards (Parramatta Eels)

10. Filimaua Filimaua-Tau (Manly Sea Eagles)

11. Ben Trbojevic (Manly Sea Eagles)

12. Josh Schuster (Manly Sea Eagles)

13. Jaron Purcell (Newcastle Knights)

14. Tyler Field (Parramatta Eels)

15. David Hollis (Parramatta Eels)

16. Harry Croker (Newcastle Knights)

17. Blake Dowel (Illawarra Steelers)

18. Kobe Rugless (Sydney Roosters)

Head Coach: Brad Fittler

Assistant Coach: Danny Buderus

Development Coach: Scott Jones

Queensland named their side on Sunday.

The NSW v Queensland Under-16s clash will be live streamed on www.NSWRL.com.au.

Stay locked on www.NSWRL.com.au throughout the lead-up to the clash for exclusive insight, interviews and analysis of the Under-16s players and side.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/04/three_junior_dragons.af_news.html

On this note, is this what they do with Origin now?
An U20s, U18s and then an U16s?

getsmarty

Immortal
Battered de Belin raring to go
Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Tue 4th July, 08:00PM
A A

1499181647759.jpg;pvd4e094dcea1f33bb

He's on standby as cover for injured duo Boyd Cordner and Tyson Frizell, but NSW 18th man Jack de Belin revealed he is just as bashed up as his teammates ahead of the State of Origin decider.

The Dragons lock forward has been through the wars in recent weeks with de Belin suffering a minor calf strain in the Round 15 loss to the Eels that threatened to rule him out of last week's game on the Gold Coast.

On top of the calf complaint, the 26-year-old also broke his nose in the Parramatta game and has to bandage his knees weekly due to cuts that seem to sprout on a far too regular basis.

"I didn't even realise I'd done it in the Parramatta game. It was just kind of niggling away and it didn't go away so I investigated to find out what the go was, but it's fine," de Belin said at NSW camp in Kingscliff.

"I thought I was getting cramps but I suppose I broke my nose that game as well so I didn't really think anything of it. I didn't ice it or do any rehab or recovery for it so I didn't think anything of it. That probably didn't help.

"I didn't train until pretty much captain's run last week for Gold Coast so I suppose there was a little bit of uncertainty there [as to whether I'd play] but I got through that fine and then played the game.

"I played the Gold Coast game on the weekend and got through that 100 per cent and it hasn't pulled up any worse for wear so I'll be sweet to go."

The workhorse lock forward – who said he'd be more than happy to play on an edge if called upon – is on standby for injured pair Boyd Cordner (calf) and Tyson Frizell (ribs) but expects both men to play.

In the event he is called into the final squad, de Belin said there was no way he would miss the chance to make his State of Origin debut in a game that many are tipping to be the most significant clash in interstate history.

"You'd have to cut my leg off for me not to be playing," he boldly declared.

"It'd be unreal. I suppose it's the biggest game in Origin history, and knowing that you're right there or thereabouts with a few injury clouds [it's exciting]. Knowing the boys, they're pretty tough and I think they'll be right, but if they aren't then I'm definitely ready to step up and prove a point.

"You wouldn't want to be called from out of the blue and have to learn plays. I've been here and I know the boys well, I know the plays and stuff like that so I could seamlessly fit in."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/04/battered_de_belin_ra.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Lomax On Under 18s Origin Experience
Wed 5th July, 01:00PM
A A

Young St George Illawarra Dragon centre Zac Lomax discussed the experience of being a part of the victorious New South Wales U18’s side a fortnight ago.

Lomax, who kicked five goals and the game sealing field goal, says he took a lot away from being coach by the likes of Brad Fittler, Danny Bederus and Paul Sironen during the camp.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/05/lomax_on_under_18s_o.html

P.S Some nice video footage at the above link.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan Ready To Go For Decider
Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Wed 5th July, 03:00PM
A A

1499232602905.jpg

2017 NRL - Grant Trouville :copyright: NRL Photos

NSW centre Josh Dugan has quashed any suggestions he'll miss the State of Origin decider on July 12 despite picking up a nasty cork just above his right knee in St George Illawarra's 20-10 loss to the Gold Coast Titans last Friday.

The 27-year-old was forced off after 52 minutes and was seen icing the injury on the sidelines, sending shockwaves through the NSW camp after fellow Dragon Tyson Frizell came from the field moments earlier.

Dugan appeared uninhibited by the knock when speaking to NRL.com at the team base in Kingscliff, revealing the injury occurred in the first few minutes of the Round 17 clash courtesy of a collision with NSW teammate Jarryd Hayne.

"It actually happened in the first three minutes when I made that break off Jack de Belin's offload," he said.

"I had a clash of knees with 'Haynesy' and he said he had a pretty sore quad as well the next day so we got each other good. I was right to play on but I got another knock later in the game which locked everything up.

"It was just a couple of corks in the same area and my leg ended up seizing up a bit and I couldn't have full power or anything like that so I think I was a bit of a passenger at that stage and Mary (Dragons coach Paul McGregor) pulled me off."

Dugan – as well as some of his Blues teammates – have been using cryotherapy in a bid to speed up the healing process, with players enduring three minute sessions in -150 degree chambers on top of the work done with their physios.

"I find it beneficial so I try to use it a couple of times a week," he said of the Cryo Chamber.

"It's coming along nicely – I've been icing it and getting physio – and just been looking after it.

"I don't think I'll miss too many training sessions – if any – before Wednesday so I'll just keep looking after it and it should be sweet."

Should Dugan and his teammates shrug off their respective injury concerns, NSW will have used the same 17 players for all three games for the first time since the 1996 series.

The magnitude of the Suncorp Stadium decider hasn't been lost on Dugan who would place a series win on the same pedestal as last year's successful Four Nations tour.

"In '14 when we won the series, I wasn't there for Game One when they won," he said.

"This would be massive for me to be here the whole series and to be a part of all three games and win the series would be the biggest thing in my career along with the Four Nations final.

"I don't think a NSW team has won two games in Brisbane to win the series so it's a chance for us to write history and cement our names in the history books.

"It's not just for us though; we want to do this for the whole of NSW."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/05/dugan_ready_to_go_fo.html