What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Rothfield

BuffaloRules

Coach
Beetroot Head Slothfield giving it to Creeping Jesus Bennett.... If I was Benny, I wouldn't want to meet with him either....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/834194d1d65c953a0abd53db5d549987

IT wouldn’t be a trip to Brisbane without having a disagreement with old super coach Wayne Bennett.

I sent him a text on Wednesday when we arrived for the fight.

Buzz: “It’s Phil Rothfield, Wayne. I’m in Brisbane for the fight. Any chance you might be up for a coffee/interview you were thinking about last Xmas. Thx.”

Bennett: “Sorry Phil, I don’t drink coffee. Wayne.”

Buzz: “Tea?”

Bennett: “No, don’t drink tea, either.”

Buzz: “Your replies Wayne say a lot about rugby league being a little game on the east coast of Australia, New Zealand and in the north of England.

You’ve got an international media in town — plus the senior journos from across this country — to report on an event that will be shown to the biggest TV audience in the US since Ali fought Spinks in ’78. The media access is world class. There’s no shit from the fighters. They’re all here to promote a wonderful event. There’s another big game in town. Storm v Broncos. No one cares about promoting it. The usual rusted-on diehards will watch it.

“The legendary old coach couldn’t give a stuff. He doesn’t need the media like he did a couple of years ago when he left the Knights in ruins. Seriously, Wayne, I’m over all your crap.”

Bennett: “Phil, hold it together. I am not interested in doing an article, that is it. There will be 40-plus at Friday’s game. They want to see the football not some old coach talking about nothing.”

Buzz: “The same 40k who have been turning up for years. Our game has had zero growth partly because people close the door on opportunities to tell the story to potential new customers.”

So there you go.

In hindsight, your correspondent was probably a bit over the top with the texts.

I’d just come back from interviewing a guy called Freddie Roach, a similar age to Bennett.

He’s Manny Pacquiao’s trainer and a boxing legend. He’s trained more than 30 world champions.

It was such a pleasure to interview him. He couldn’t have been more helpful.

He knows this fight is a big event. And, unlike Wayne, he knows how to professionally promote big-time sport.

Eion

First Grade
Wow how embarrassing for him. I bet buzz doesn't realise he comes off a million times worse than Wayne with his sooky, self entitled ramblings. And then he's deluded enough to publish them.

taipan

Referee
I can see it now this poor victimised journo:

Phil has shown me ,he'd be the first kid to pick up his cricket bat and run home to his mum at 16 years of age crying, because he was bowled out by a vision impaired kid 6 years younger.

Chucked a wetty because Santa Claus refused to let Phil sit on his lap,because he had dribble and stain marks down the front of his shirt.He was 14 ATT.

Went to his first rock concert at 15 and was refused entry, on the grounds he looked and acted drunk.Plus the bouncer stated ,he'd never seen anyone look so dishevelled.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Players can handle criticism if it's constructive and backed up. They'll even still talk with you after publishing such stuff.

But if you just sling shit for the sake of it, then of course they'll tell you to f**k off.

One day, maybe, Philthy will learn this.

I recently wrote a piece where I stated his tag of being "League's most fearsome critic" was laughable.

I bet he gave himself that title.

shaggs

Coach
He has a point though.
There is definitely a lot of rugby league types who don't do anything to promote the game.

Press conferences and media time like the NBA and NFL do would be great and make a difference

Perhaps if news didn't write such bullshit all the time, players and coaches might be more open.

T-Boon

Coach
He has a point though.
There is definitely a lot of rugby league types who don't do anything to promote the game.

Press conferences and media time like the NBA and NFL do would be great and make a difference

This is one of the most baffling aspects of NRL clubs. It seems part of the culture that coaches are gruff with the media. How hard is it to get that every bit of promotion counts? If the media are interested give them 25 minutes not 2. Drown them in information. Make it interesting.

Perhaps if news didn't write such bullshit all the time, players and coaches might be more open.

In my opinion if this is the logic of the coaches then they need to grow up and stop playing the victim. If they give more the NRL media won't need to go digging for crap.

Brutus

Referee
I can see it now this poor victimised journo:

Phil has shown me ,he'd be the first kid to pick up his cricket bat and run home to his mum at 16 years of age crying, because he was bowled out by a vision impaired kid 6 years younger.

Chucked a wetty because Santa Claus refused to let Phil sit on his lap,because he had dribble and stain marks down the front of his shirt.He was 14 ATT.

Went to his first rock concert at 15 and was refused entry, on the grounds he looked and acted drunk.Plus the bouncer stated ,he'd never seen anyone look so dishevelled.

I don't think Rothfield believed in Santa Claus. Not with a name like Rothfield anyway.

This man continues to produce the most cringeworthy journalism on the planet. Well done Rothfield.

taipan

Referee
I don't think Rothfield believed in Santa Claus. Not with a name like Rothfield anyway.

This man continues to produce the most cringeworthy journalism on the planet. Well done Rothfield.

Sloth believes in anyone ,with an extremely red wine flushed face with a big gut.
He has a photo of Sir Les Patterson on his study wall.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Never understood how its professional for journos to text coaches and ceo's after hours and on weekends etc.. and expect a response..

Imagine trying to get hold of an "actual" business CEO by text,, good luck