What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

taipan

Referee
I'm amazed afl hasn't been able to take over all these Brisbane regions given the city only has one club. Sydney rl can't even hold one suburb with nine teams!

If Brisbane had a traditional NRL team(repeat NRL team) that was flicked ,and was the sole rl team in that area which encompassed a population of hundreds of thousands,you go figure.
So Nth Sydney metropolitan area, stretching all the way to Hornsby is a suburb LOL? You into town planning?

Golden point

Juniors
As if you'd only consider the population of the suburb and none of the population around Redcliffe. Redcliffe is in the Moreton Bay region that has a population of over 400,000.
As if you'd only consider the population of the suburb and none of the population around Redcliffe. Redcliffe is in the Moreton Bay region that has a population of over 400,000.
So a place that has a built up population of 10k is somehow supposed to have the infrastructure to accommodate 30k for a 2 hour window?
Why would anyone not from redcliffe adopt a redcliffe brand??? Or drive to redcliffe? How would those roads accommodate them? What companies are in redcliffe that would have the finances to sponsor a nrl team?
How does this help the nrl? Give sponsors exposure to redcliffe???

The problem for the nrl in that teams have been put in small areas in a big city of Sydney and too many of them - they can't grow.

Your answer is to replicate this problem in brisbane.

Stupid.

T-Boon

Coach
Rothfield's story about Wayne Bennett and his total lack of interest in promoting RL in Brisbane is another example of what some competition would do for the game up there.

Golden point

Juniors
Rothfield's story about Wayne Bennett and his total lack of interest in promoting RL in Brisbane is another example of what some competition would do for the game up there.
No. The media is obsessed with scandals that create a bad stigma around the sport. Wayne doesn't give them the time of day for good reason.

The Broncos get 40k a game so I'm not sure why you think they are the ones that needs change . If anything it's an example of how beneficial less competition is.

T-Boon

Coach
No. The media is obsessed with scandals that create a bad stigma around the sport. Wayne doesn't give them the time of day for good reason.

Wayne has always been the same with the media. I remember Gould flew up him for refusing to promote state of origin when he was coach. He just doesn't get it. Most coaches/clubs are like Bennett, thats the reason why the NRL media need to go looking for scandals and rumours.

The Broncos get 40k a game so I'm not sure why you think they are the ones that needs change . If anything it's an example of how beneficial less competition is.

With that stadium and that population the city should get 40k every weekend. They dont they get more like 32k every second weekend. Ordinary. Should be a lot better.

Golden point

Juniors
Wayne has always been the same with the media. I remember Gould flew up him for refusing to promote state of origin when he was coach. He just doesn't get it. Most coaches/clubs are like Bennett, thats the reason why the NRL media need to go looking for scandals and rumours.

With that stadium and that population the city should get 40k every weekend. They dont they get more like 32k every second weekend. Ordinary. Should be a lot better.
Why on earth do you think coaches should have anything to do with promotion??
Coaching first grade not enough?
Coaching is a mental game played between coach and players... you want the cards on the table? Sorry it doesn't work like that.

Give me an example of a club, any club in rugby league that averages close to the Broncos... only then will you have a case that more can and will be achieved.

T-Boon

Coach
Why on earth do you think coaches should have anything to do with promotion??

The coach is the first port of call (actually the only port of call) for the NRL media who want to write about a game in their articles (Rothfield etc). They therefore are in the best position to be able to promote the game. You could sit there and act like a baby for 2 minutes before the media loses interest and goes to cover our competition (i.e. AFL, A-League) OR you could talk constructively for 20 minutes and overload the media with interesting tidbits about the upcoming game that they could then write about. This promotes the game and reduces the likelihood that the journalist, who is looking to fill space, goes digging for gossip.
You should go look at american sports to see how masterful their coaches are at promoting their games.

Coaching first grade not enough?

No it isn't. Being able to deal with the media like a master should be the most important and easiest job of an NRL coach in our competitive sports market.

Give me an example of a club, any club in rugby league that averages close to the Broncos... only then will you have a case that more can and will be achieved.

We should be aiming for Brisbane RL to be like Adelaide AFL or Perth AFL. Those are the comparisons to make. Big cities, population obsessed by the sport, minimal teams. Both Adelaide and Perth are doing a lot better than Brisbane.

Golden point

Juniors
The coach is the first port of call (actually the only port of call) for the NRL media who want to write about a game in their articles (Rothfield etc). They therefore are in the best position to be able to promote the game. You could sit there and act like a baby for 2 minutes before the media loses interest and goes to cover our competition (i.e. AFL, A-League) OR you could talk constructively for 20 minutes and overload the media with interesting tidbits about the upcoming game that they could then write about. This promotes the game and reduces the likelihood that the journalist, who is looking to fill space, goes digging for gossip.
You should go look at american sports to see how masterful their coaches are at promoting their games.

No it isn't. Being able to deal with the media like a master should be the most important and easiest job of an NRL coach in our competitive sports market.

We should be aiming for Brisbane RL to be like Adelaide AFL or Perth AFL. Those are the comparisons to make. Big cities, population obsessed by the sport, minimal teams. Both Adelaide and Perth are doing a lot better than Brisbane.
Is coaching first grade enough? " no it isn't " hahaha

CC_Roosters

First Grade

We have Cronulla-sutherland already so I don't see any reason why a Redcliffe-moreton dolphins team wouldn't drum up a parochial support base rather quickly in a fast growing region. Would hate to see a franchise parachuted into a region which has such illustrious clubs already in existence.

Honestly I think a complete reset of the Nrl is needed. If the games heads want a soulless franchise based league in major stadia then just have the balls to make it so by having say a 12 team "big hit league". Or the alternative and my preference is to give the game back to its roots and gradually expand the professional footprint of the Nrl to the point were 2 divisions and promotion/relegation is a reality. At say 22 teams in a top division of 12 and second division of 10 we could have the widest representation of the game, provide pro pathways on a huge scale and lastly a meaningful league season! one decision that does need made regardless of format is to push West's and ST-I out of the multi ground arrangements and make campbelltown and Wollongong their permanent homes to fully embrace those regions. lastly introduce the CC bears and fill that last void of pro footy in the metro regions. With all of these clubs and a promotion and relegation format clubs will rise and fall according to their fortunes and we know that the best will be playing the best week in week out in the top division.

T-Boon

Coach
They have an entire department ! It's called marketing.

I see, so you think Trevor and Pete from marketing should be fronting the press.
I mean, sure...I am keen to hear from Trev and Pete.

Rothfield: "so Trev why did Wayne drop Ben Hunt?"

Trev: "I don't know, ask Wayne. I just do spread sheets"

Rothfield: "thanks Trev, thats still a better answer than Wayne would have given".

Last edited:

Golden point

Juniors
I see, so you think Trevor and Pete from marketing should be fronting the press.
I mean, sure...I am keen to hear from Trev and Pete.
40, 000 fans in brisbane didn't need to hear from Wayne either . Maybe your onto something.... seems the club that is the most reluctant to engage the press is the most profitable, most successful, biggest crowds and biggest television audience.
When you want to watch a movie.. will it help if the director answers a few questions or will it give away the plot?

What as a coach can you say that will increase marketing WITHOUT : putting further pressure on your players giving away your game plan ? Very little...in fact it will be BORING and possibly turn people away!
Or maybe there are very few TBoons out there that they need to please...

T-Boon

Coach
What as a coach can you say that will increase marketing WITHOUT : putting further pressure on your players giving away your game plan ?

Wayne could say:

"Hey Brisbane, next weekend we've got Australia's newest world champion Jeff Horn, the Broncos number 1 fan coming to the game and we are going to give him a lap of honour and sing "yippy-yi-yi" and chant "Queenslander" like a bunch of red necks. Bring your friends we want 50,000."

What Wayne will say:

"grumble, grumble. Grumble. Err, grumble. Thanks."

Golden point

Juniors
Wayne could say:

"Hey Brisbane, next weekend we've got Australia's newest world champion Jeff Horn, the Broncos number 1 fan coming to the game and we are going to give him a lap of honour and sing "yippy-yi-yi" and chant "Queenslander" like a bunch of red necks. Bring your friends we want 50,000."

What Wayne will say:

So the best thing Wayne could do is promote BOXING!
BAHAHAHAHA!
Couldn't have made a better case myself! Hahaha classic!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So a place that has a built up population of 10k is somehow supposed to have the infrastructure to accommodate 30k for a 2 hour window?
Why would anyone not from redcliffe adopt a redcliffe brand??? Or drive to redcliffe? How would those roads accommodate them? What companies are in redcliffe that would have the finances to sponsor a nrl team?
How does this help the nrl? Give sponsors exposure to redcliffe???

The problem for the nrl in that teams have been put in small areas in a big city of Sydney and too many of them - they can't grow.

Your answer is to replicate this problem in brisbane.

Stupid.
The honest answer to your questions is that Redcliffe is a very strong, reputable QRL brand, well supported in the local area and that's where they should stay. Redcliffe or Moreton Bay are not what the NRL need. They need Brisbane 2, a genuine city rival to the Broncos - a member owned CLUB that offsets the corporate Broncos. Redcliffe and even Ipswich would lose the core of their support in those areas if they disappeared into the NRL because they would have to disappear to Brisbane and Suncorp to get the larger fan and corporate support. I think that would ruin their brand in the long run.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wayne could say:

What Wayne will say:

hahahaha - OMG you have made my day that is so funny