What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were CEO how would you handle expansion

T-Boon

Coach
Now that the players want to know why the NRL is spending money on anything but them I think we can put the womens league in with expansion as fantasy league stuff.

Seriously the NRL Womens league is not ever going to happen.

siv

First Grade
Crowds are down. Sponsorship deals are down. Office staff are up and so are players wages.
I seriously do wonder with the TV deal we have why most teams struggle to to break even.
We do need to freshen up the comp to get fans and sponsors back and expansion would do that.
The first rule of business is "You can't have more money going out than coming in"

But for a FC with a LC that means

You cant have more money going out than your FC plus LC combined

But for clubs with only a FC they want more to catch up with FC+LC funding model

Buthen guess what FC that have a LC now have more to spend

So continues the vicious cycle

siv

First Grade
Now that the players want to know why the NRL is spending money on anything but them I think we can put the womens league in with expansion as fantasy league stuff.

Seriously the NRL Womens league is not ever going to happen.

Women RL will takeover as the prematch for NRL matches within a few years

The real question that has to be addressed is how can we avoid huge amounts of meaningless games if the comp expands without adding in relegation?

I mean some are proposing a 20 team comp. do you realise how many games that will entail that mean zero?

At some point promotion/relegation may be necessary. We shouldn't dismiss the idea.

I like @CC_Roosters idea of creating a national 2nd tier and then look at adding in promotion/relegation down the track.

We've got to think differently to avoid a stale competition.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Ready for a brain explosion?

I would set down a very long term vision looking around 30-50 years into the future. The ultimate goal would be 5 pro leagues in the Southern Hemisphere - even if we only make halfway it is a big achievement. For all the areas with no or little presence I would organise funding for team/s of people focused solely on growing the game in those places.

The first step would be taken within 5-10 years. This would entail splitting the NRL into two divisions which only meet at finals time. They would largely exist as competitions in their own right. Given the spread of players and need to reduce costs, the level of quality would be somewhere between current NRL and the current state cups.

One division would be based in NSW and would include the existing NRL sides, with demerged clubs plus the Central Coast and NSW Country. The pressure of sharing the same market would be offset by minimal travel and associated costs and making the most of rivalries.

The other division would take all the other existing NRL sides, plus add the strongest QLD Cup teams and other expansion areas, including Warriors plus 2 other NZ sides, PNG Hunters and a big town rival for the Broncos. This would start smaller but grow to its full size by 10-15 years. Travel would be an issue so a super rugby approach would be taken using the extra money saved from the other division. Ie teams would take a 2-3 game road trip. As we gear towards the NZ and PNG leagues, those teams would depart this comp to form the basis of separate national comps, making way for lesser priority expansion areas to take their place.

I would be happy with a lower average crowd but a much larger national footprint.

Within 25 years, I would look to establish a NZ pro league built around the Warriors, Orcas and other NZ sides which would already have experience in the NRL. This would be a smallish pro league of 8 or so teams. As the second major power in our part of the world, it is a missed opportunity not to make the most of NZ.

Within 35 years, I would try to secure funding to fully fund a pro league for PNG based on the existing cup plus the Hunters. As the cost of living in PNG is so low, wages for full time players would also be low so this is achievable in the long-term, albeit difficult.

Within 50 years, I would have a goal of a Pacific pro league encompassing 2 teams each from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, plus one each from whichever other larger island nation is ready (eg Vanuatu). I would make a big push to get RL up and running in New Caledonia (one of the only wealthy island areas) with a view to at least 1 side in this comp.

The overseas comps would be built towards over decades and put together under a joint partnership with the NRL, national RL bodies and RLIF. While NRL would provide some subsidising, sourcing private funding from big companies would be important for this.

Reactions: siv

siv

First Grade
Seems the way forward is to go backwards

Ie state based QRL and NSWRL comps in a superbowl playoff

No need for a elite NRL comp

Diesel

Referee
Even the commission doesn't know what the next 10 years is going to look like. f**k knows what they really do. We just need 7 people from LU to run the game and we'd do it a shitload cheaper too

RoosTah

Juniors
Largely agree with the OP with the exception of the Central Coast, which seems like a waste of time to me given the small and sparsely spread population and low employment levels.

In my view the short to medium term priorities are as follows (1-15 years):
1. WC Pirates in Perth
2. NZ 2 in (South Island Bulls)
3. Permanently settling the Dragons to the Gong and Tigers to Campbelltown

Long term strategy (15-30 year time line):
1. PNG NRL team (assuming maintenance of current economic growth and development levels sufficiently advance the security and)
2. Adelaide
3. NZ 3 (Wellington Orcas)
4. Melbourne 2 (maybe go down the soccer line and have a "Melbourne City"

That would give us a 22 team competition for that could go for 21 weeks (one round per side).

Ultimately, if I were the NRL CEO and had significant capital to play with, I'd be aiming to not only push the game's footprint in Australia, but really set down deep roots in NZ as well. The reason for this NZ's importance in our strategic battle with the AFL. Put simply, the stronger we make New Zealand, the stronger and more tense our rivalry in international footy with them will become.

In an ideal world English Rugby League would be in a much better place and they'd be driving the interest. However, the English League team are increasingly like the Wallabies; a barely acknowledged footballing cousin that the wider family only sparingly pays attention to.

Even down to little things like the England RL logo, you can just see that the game is just lacking polish and professionalism in the UK. However, with NZ their proximity allows for greater integration with all our systems and therefore continued increases in ability. This means this already healthy rivalry could potentially turn into something quite fierce and eventful on the level of Origin. We achieve that, and we add a further massive "event" match into the calendar that the AFL simply can't replicate, no matter how many games they take to China.

On the domestic front, Adelaide and Perth are obvious, but following that I'd very much like us to really commit serious resources to a second Melbourne team. However, we would need to approach it in a much smarter way than the AFL have with their frankly blind and moronic approach to GWS - a region no Sydney-sider identifies with and therefore has seen the club look more to Canberra for members.

No, our approach needs to be built on the back of a strong and sustained grass roots program that would start out by splitting the administration of the city into two organisations with equal funding. This would enable them both to run separate competitions under different banners that would compete with eachother for talent and success. The end result would be that this knew Melbourne competition would form the basis for the new NRL team and its identity.

Melbourne is a city of 4 million+ and so it's important we develop strong roots there and a strong local rivalry.

Marlins

Juniors
Largely agree with the OP with the exception of the Central Coast, which seems like a waste of time to me given the small and sparsely spread population and low employment levels.

In my view the short to medium term priorities are as follows (1-15 years):
1. WC Pirates in Perth
2. NZ 2 in (South Island Bulls)
3. Permanently settling the Dragons to the Gong and Tigers to Campbelltown

Long term strategy (15-30 year time line):
1. PNG NRL team (assuming maintenance of current economic growth and development levels sufficiently advance the security and)
2. Adelaide
3. NZ 3 (Wellington Orcas)
4. Melbourne 2 (maybe go down the soccer line and have a "Melbourne City"

That would give us a 22 team competition for that could go for 21 weeks (one round per side).

Ultimately, if I were the NRL CEO and had significant capital to play with, I'd be aiming to not only push the game's footprint in Australia, but really set down deep roots in NZ as well. The reason for this NZ's importance in our strategic battle with the AFL. Put simply, the stronger we make New Zealand, the stronger and more tense our rivalry in international footy with them will become.

In an ideal world English Rugby League would be in a much better place and they'd be driving the interest. However, the English League team are increasingly like the Wallabies; a barely acknowledged footballing cousin that the wider family only sparingly pays attention to.

Even down to little things like the England RL logo, you can just see that the game is just lacking polish and professionalism in the UK. However, with NZ their proximity allows for greater integration with all our systems and therefore continued increases in ability. This means this already healthy rivalry could potentially turn into something quite fierce and eventful on the level of Origin. We achieve that, and we add a further massive "event" match into the calendar that the AFL simply can't replicate, no matter how many games they take to China.

On the domestic front, Adelaide and Perth are obvious, but following that I'd very much like us to really commit serious resources to a second Melbourne team. However, we would need to approach it in a much smarter way than the AFL have with their frankly blind and moronic approach to GWS - a region no Sydney-sider identifies with and therefore has seen the club look more to Canberra for members.

No, our approach needs to be built on the back of a strong and sustained grass roots program that would start out by splitting the administration of the city into two organisations with equal funding. This would enable them both to run separate competitions under different banners that would compete with eachother for talent and success. The end result would be that this knew Melbourne competition would form the basis for the new NRL team and its identity.

Melbourne is a city of 4 million+ and so it's important we develop strong roots there and a strong local rivalry.
I like the first 4 ideas
- expand to 18 teams WCP & Christchurch based team
- tigers permanently at Campbelltown
- Dragons on the gong

But seriously a 2nd Melbourne side before 2nd Brisbane, CQLD, Adelaide f**k even Darwin.

RoosTah

Juniors
I like the first 4 ideas
- expand to 18 teams WCP & Christchurch based team
- tigers permanently at Campbelltown
- Dragons on the gong

But seriously a 2nd Melbourne side before 2nd Brisbane, CQLD, Adelaide f**k even Darwin.

True - always forget about Brisbane 2. That's definitely one fore the shorter time line in the top.

Perth Red

Post Whore

T-Boon

Coach
"I wouldn't describe myself as a visionary, nor do I think I'm a guy with all the ideas," Greenberg said.

I think they call that a dog whistle in politics.
Thats exactly what the clubs want to hear. A "vision" is a threat to clubs that can't get crowds and that need every penny to be able to survive.
Greenberg is the most gutless CEO the NRL has had, maybe ever.