What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Tigerm

First Grade
There has been rumours of a SOO prop wanting to backflip , but unless there is a get out clause for some reason i can see him being able to break a contract . Unless we said to the Dogs you keep Reynolds and we'll keep Woods. I think Reynolds is going to be more important for our future though in my opinion so hope that never becomes a factor.
Agree, I think Reynolds is potentially the best signing the club has ever made, he will instil spirit and I don't believe you can win without good halves, hopefully he can help Brooks with this as well.
I don't have Fox, so I don't get to see them play that often, but that last game against the Knights (I am aware where the Knights sit) showed exactly what type of player he is capable of being and is the type of forward that every team needs. He doesn't play SOO & for Australia because of his looks, does he:D
However, on paper we have signed some good players and he made his decision, so it is what it is.
But I wouldn't shut the door on him.

macnaz

Staff member
With some power forwards to do the hard hits Woods would definitely add some good plays for the team , he has got a good offload and can play long minutes and is always solid in defence . I would have him back but on a great deal less money and have him prove he is here for all the right reasons.
I honestly think he got caught up it all the hype because he was frustrated and thought he would join the others and teach the club a lesson , ive seen that happen in a workplace amongst young people who arent mature enough to think ahead.
As it was said above somewhere. " It is what it is " ;)

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Agree, I think Reynolds is potentially the best signing the club has ever made, he will instil spirit and I don't believe you can win without good halves, hopefully he can help Brooks with this as well.

If you think about the Hodkinson/Reynolds pairing at the Dogs, they performed well enough to become the SOO half and 5/8. I am really hoping it was Reynolds that was the driving force there and he can bring Brooks along to a much higher level. Hodkinson once he left the Dogs went backwards so one could assume it was Reynolds that was the brains of the operation.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm not sold on the Reynolds signing and I'm not sold on keeping Woods if it was possible. I definitely wouldn't want Woods as captain. He has been a disgrace to the club.

Woods on a significantly lower pay than what we currently have him on and with as macnaz says some power players around him plus having a captain who represents the club with integrity would be acceptable.

Woods won't be here next year and although he has been good the last couple of games I doubt he will continue to play like that this season and I can't see it happening over the next couple of seasons either.

I thought the Turd would be a huge loss but I think we may be better off without him. He is a real piece of shit human being.

Tiger Ted

Bench
If you think about the Hodkinson/Reynolds pairing at the Dogs, they performed well enough to become the SOO half and 5/8. I am really hoping it was Reynolds that was the driving force there and he can bring Brooks along to a much higher level. Hodkinson once he left the Dogs went backwards so one could assume it was Reynolds that was the brains of the operation.
Not because he's coming to us but Reynolds has always been streets ahead of Hodgkinson as a player.Reynolds is a real team man whose competitive nature on the field & humility off the field is invaluable particularly in an era full of self entitled wankas( moses turdesco ...,,)who r only interested in there paycheque/perks & don't respect the average fan when they don't display integrity through there onfield efforts(Blair Anasta Sironen....)nor do they possess any gratitude for the privileged position they are in(moses turdesco..).

BrotherJim05

Bench
Losing Woods is a big blow to our forward pack, however for the first time ever we have been able to rectify it with signing two quality props. If we could have kept Woods and just signed Mautlino or Packer then we would be in even better shape, but what is done is done.

We should target Aiden Tolman for 2019 onwards. He will end up on the bench and playing 2nd fiddle to Graham, Woods and Klemmer. He is one of the most underrated props in the game, gets through a mountain of work but barely gets the recognition because he is outshone by Graham, who is arguably the best prop in Rugby League.

If we have a decent season in 2018, and Bulldogs continue to implode, then Reynolds may be our draw card in getting quality players over to us.

simmo05

Bench
Bye Aaron! You made your choice, now deal with it. I have zero sympathy for him. He had months to decide, and made an informed decision to leave the club he "loves". And as a side note, the club he is going to let his mate go to help accomodate him lol. Nice work

Tigerm

First Grade
Bulldogs star Josh Reynolds comes out in support of seven-year-old gentle giant

635480_640x360_large_20170731131639.jpg

7 year old 'gentle giant'

0:21
IT’S been a tough week for a seven-year-old rugby league player who was the target of online hate after a video of him went viral, but he’s found an ally in one of Canterbury’s favourite sons.
The gentle giant, who is roughly double the size of most children in his age group, made headlines when a video surfaced of him destroying defensive lines on his way to a try for the St Johns Easgles Under-8s team.

The footage was posted to Facebook with cruel comments and social media attacks reducing his family to tears.

523ab86efcc7fcb7a0072c94677308e0

The gentle giant playing in the Under 8's St Johns Eagles team in the Canterbury Bulldogs junior rugby league comp.Source: Supplied
As a result of the online attacks, the boy has decided to sit out playing rugby league for now.

But a great gesture from the Bulldogs and their star five-eighth Josh Reynolds may just persuade him to give it another shot.

On Thursday night for the Bulldogs’ clash with Parramatta, the boy was invited in the sheds and got a photo with Reynolds.

He also appeared to be sporting a Bulldogs jersey signed by a host of their players.

That's our man, gunna be a great signing for us I believe.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I see a lot of similarities between our signing of Reynolds and Penrith signing Soward in 2014.

Both were much maligned but loved by their teams supporter base. Soward had been dumped to reserve grade and was shipped off to second tier ESL. He came back, had probably his best ever season in guiding a young panthers side to A game away from the grand final.

As strange as it is to say about a 5/8 I don't think Reynolds is being brought over here to be a key attacking lynchpin. The main play makers will be Brooks then Tui/Liddell. Reynolds will kick well, get repeat sets, rev the team up when we need it, manage the game and be a leader. Josh is the type of guy who takes a hit up when the forwards are tired just to help out.

Watch this to see what he will bring:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The Sydney Morning Herald

Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers, Nathan vs Ivan: Cleary battle starts at home
Michael Chammas

Published: August 5 2017 - 10:33PM

Just before Ivan Cleary's shock departure from Penrith at the end of the 2015 season, he sat down with son Nathan to discuss how long it would take before he would get a taste of NRL football.

"He said it probably won't be until 2018," Nathan recalls as he looks over to his old man on the back porch of their Leonay home.

Really, Ivan? That long?

"Yeah, that was pretty bad judgment from my end," Ivan says.

It's all hypothetical, but the common consensus is that had Ivan not been surprisingly moved on from the Panthers, "son of Ivan" would still be just that.

"Things have changed," Ivan says. "I've been 'Nathan's dad' for a while now."

Ivan never wanted to leave the Panthers. He still can't understand why he isn't the coach of the team he built from the ground up. More on that later.

But here's why those who know the Clearys well regard them as stand-up people.

Because even though he would have loved to have been walking into the home ground's coaches box at Pepper Stadium on Sunday to call the shots against Wests Tigers, he'd change nothing because of the doors his departure has opened for his boy.

"Me leaving has probably been the best thing for Nathan," Ivan says. "If that's what we take out of this then I'm happy. It probably hasn't been the worst thing for me either. It's funny how things work out."

Funny, you say? A bit like how you "accidentally" undercooked Nathan's chicken for dinner this week?

"That was a mistake," Ivan fires back.

"Mistake?" the 19-year-old asks. "Mine was the only one undercooked."

Sounds like sabotage from where we're sitting.

"Sadly, it's true, but an honest mistake. It must have been a bit dark out here on the barbie," Ivan says with a smile from ear to ear.

There's something eerie about sitting down with the Clearys. They look the same. They speak the same. They have the same mannerisms. They even think about rugby league in the same way.

"Yeah, but he's got some pretty lame dad jokes," Nathan says.

Like the one about Nathan not being able to find his car keys on game day this Sunday, perhaps?

In a way, Ivan's legacy at the Panthers lives on through his son. A chip off the old block who spent his childhood trying to escape the shadow of his father.

"When I was younger I didn't really like it too much," Nathan said of living with the "son of Ivan'" tag.

"It was annoying. But I like it now. I can appreciate it now. Some people used to think I got special treatment because of who I was. That used to piss me off the most. Once dad was out of the picture, everyone accepted it and I've been fine with it.

"I think I'm on the way to being my own man. The last two years, people haven't been saying 'you're Ivan's son'."

So the question on everyone's lips since Ivan signed with the Tigers has been whether father and son will reunite?

"It couldn't work if he's not established," Ivan believes. "If he's established then that's different."

So in other words, get the cheque book ready Gus, because the man you sacked is coming for the man you need most.

"I like him as a player," Ivan jokes. "And obviously I like him as a person ... sometimes.

"But at the end of the day, it'll be his decision. I have discussed it with him and with them [Panthers], too. But I'm not his manager. I'm involved so I'll listen to what they propose.

"But really he's 19, just started playing first grade and has two years to go on his contract. I don't think he should be in a hurry. He knows that. I think the Panthers should just enjoy what he's doing for them at the moment. If he wants to stay, he can stay."

As for Nathan, he couldn't be happier with his surroundings at the Panthers. So much so he removed a clause allowing him to leave the club if his father left. But even he can't hide the appeal of playing under his father in the future.

"I definitely think down the track I'd be keen to do it," Nathan says. "I can't lock anything in. But you don't know what can happen in two years. I'm happy at the Panthers and when the time comes we can talk about what's next. I just have to get out there, be consistent and stay in first grade."

Yes two years is a long time in rugby league. In fact, two years ago Ivan was at the helm of the Panthers and despite a horror season plagued by injury, looked as though he was on the verge of something special at the foot of the mountains.

But without notice and in arguably the most contentious coach sacking in recent memory, Phil Gould decided it was the end of the road for the Ivan Cleary regime.

Ivan, who on Sunday returns home to Penrith for the first time since his sacking, insists he's not bitter. But that relationship hasn't, and will never be, the same.

"I haven't spoken to him a lot since, maybe a couple of times," Ivan says of Gould. "But I don't know if that will ever be the same, if I'm being honest. I'm not bitter about that. It just didn't quite work out like it was meant to.''

Gould claimed Ivan was "tired" and then acted in what he thought were the best interests of the Panthers when he removed the man he once coached at the Roosters in the 1990s.

"I don't agree with that," Ivan says of Gould's claims he was tired. "It was a hard year, that's for sure. I'll admit that for a number of reasons. But it happens all the time. I don't think ... it's a little condescending actually. If he actually thinks that, then that's OK. But I don't agree with it."

Nathan wasn't always destined to follow in his father's footsteps. It wasn't until he was 12 years old did this "soccer skinny boy" living in Auckland tried his hand at rugby league. That experience alone almost saw him lost from the game forever.

"I'll never forget it," Nathan says. "I came from a soccer game to play an open weight game of footy. These kids ... I just couldn't believe it. We got flogged. I was 12. A real soccer skinny boy.

"These kids were huge. I mean, they had like moustaches. I remember coming halfway through the game watching someone I knew getting carried off with a dislocated shoulder. I was like, 'what have I gotten myself into'."

That following year he moved into a weighted competition.

"If it wasn't for that, there's every chance he never would have played again," Ivan admits.

"When you move house, or in our situation, move country after I left the Warriors, one of the things you have to do is sell it to the kids. That was one of the ones with Nat, telling him the footy is going to be totally different. It's only luck he was playing at all."

Thankfully, for Penrith – and NSW – he did.

Yes, we know. Origin is 12 months away. We shouldn't put pressure on the kid. But how can you not after watching what this teenager has produced on a football field since he was handed his chance last year.

After all, not even his dad thought he was ready for the NRL and he's still wiping the egg of his face.

It's an awkward one to get into. Phil Gould says he isn't ready. Of course, Nathan has to say he isn't ready. So what does his father, and one of the best judges of talent in rugby league think about the debate about his son's potential promotion to the NSW team as early as next year?

"If they are looking for a cultural shift, he would suit that," Ivan admits. "But they have to make a commitment to him for three or four years and have some experience around him."

It's ironic that when Ivan talks about the skills his son possesses, he references Origin.

"He doesn't do TV passes," Ivan says. "He does what's needed at the time. He plays like a Queenslander, actually.

"He tackles, he doesn't make errors, he kicks well, he supports. He just does what he is supposed to for the team. He's had that in him since he was a kid. The higher the grades he's gone up, the more valuable those traits have been.

"He'll go out this weekend and do the same thing he does every other. I wish he didn't, but he will."

Ivan isn't a mushy kind of guy. But even with his son sitting next to him, he can't hide his pride in what his eldest son has made of himself.

"I'm very proud," Ivan says. "Not just about footy, but how he carries himself.

"He's already edged into that role-model phase. Kids really like him. He takes his time to go and see kids. The way he handles himself on the field as well. I'm massively proud of him."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ry-battle-starts-at-home-20170805-gxpzs4.html
Most Read Articles

Tiger Ted

Bench
The egotistical dickhead Gould is totally delusional believing the super talented son of IC @ 600k/yr over 5 yrs is fair value !

Gould will get his comeuppance for his contemptible treatment of the exemplary IC if Nathan leaves Penrith to work with his old man in 2 yrs time !!

Tiger Woody

Juniors

Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers, Nathan vs Ivan: Cleary battle starts at home
Michael Chammas

Published: August 5 2017 - 10:33PM

Just before Ivan Cleary's shock departure from Penrith at the end of the 2015 season, he sat down with son Nathan to discuss how long it would take before he would get a taste of NRL football.

"He said it probably won't be until 2018," Nathan recalls as he looks over to his old man on the back porch of their Leonay home.

Really, Ivan? That long?

"Yeah, that was pretty bad judgment from my end," Ivan says.

It's all hypothetical, but the common consensus is that had Ivan not been surprisingly moved on from the Panthers, "son of Ivan" would still be just that.

"Things have changed," Ivan says. "I've been 'Nathan's dad' for a while now."

Ivan never wanted to leave the Panthers. He still can't understand why he isn't the coach of the team he built from the ground up. More on that later.

But here's why those who know the Clearys well regard them as stand-up people.

Because even though he would have loved to have been walking into the home ground's coaches box at Pepper Stadium on Sunday to call the shots against Wests Tigers, he'd change nothing because of the doors his departure has opened for his boy.

"Me leaving has probably been the best thing for Nathan," Ivan says. "If that's what we take out of this then I'm happy. It probably hasn't been the worst thing for me either. It's funny how things work out."

Funny, you say? A bit like how you "accidentally" undercooked Nathan's chicken for dinner this week?

"That was a mistake," Ivan fires back.

"Mistake?" the 19-year-old asks. "Mine was the only one undercooked."

Sounds like sabotage from where we're sitting.

"Sadly, it's true, but an honest mistake. It must have been a bit dark out here on the barbie," Ivan says with a smile from ear to ear.

There's something eerie about sitting down with the Clearys. They look the same. They speak the same. They have the same mannerisms. They even think about rugby league in the same way.

"Yeah, but he's got some pretty lame dad jokes," Nathan says.

Like the one about Nathan not being able to find his car keys on game day this Sunday, perhaps?

In a way, Ivan's legacy at the Panthers lives on through his son. A chip off the old block who spent his childhood trying to escape the shadow of his father.

"When I was younger I didn't really like it too much," Nathan said of living with the "son of Ivan'" tag.

"It was annoying. But I like it now. I can appreciate it now. Some people used to think I got special treatment because of who I was. That used to piss me off the most. Once dad was out of the picture, everyone accepted it and I've been fine with it.

"I think I'm on the way to being my own man. The last two years, people haven't been saying 'you're Ivan's son'."

So the question on everyone's lips since Ivan signed with the Tigers has been whether father and son will reunite?

"It couldn't work if he's not established," Ivan believes. "If he's established then that's different."

So in other words, get the cheque book ready Gus, because the man you sacked is coming for the man you need most.

"I like him as a player," Ivan jokes. "And obviously I like him as a person ... sometimes.

"But at the end of the day, it'll be his decision. I have discussed it with him and with them [Panthers], too. But I'm not his manager. I'm involved so I'll listen to what they propose.

"But really he's 19, just started playing first grade and has two years to go on his contract. I don't think he should be in a hurry. He knows that. I think the Panthers should just enjoy what he's doing for them at the moment. If he wants to stay, he can stay."

As for Nathan, he couldn't be happier with his surroundings at the Panthers. So much so he removed a clause allowing him to leave the club if his father left. But even he can't hide the appeal of playing under his father in the future.

"I definitely think down the track I'd be keen to do it," Nathan says. "I can't lock anything in. But you don't know what can happen in two years. I'm happy at the Panthers and when the time comes we can talk about what's next. I just have to get out there, be consistent and stay in first grade."

Yes two years is a long time in rugby league. In fact, two years ago Ivan was at the helm of the Panthers and despite a horror season plagued by injury, looked as though he was on the verge of something special at the foot of the mountains.

But without notice and in arguably the most contentious coach sacking in recent memory, Phil Gould decided it was the end of the road for the Ivan Cleary regime.

Ivan, who on Sunday returns home to Penrith for the first time since his sacking, insists he's not bitter. But that relationship hasn't, and will never be, the same.

"I haven't spoken to him a lot since, maybe a couple of times," Ivan says of Gould. "But I don't know if that will ever be the same, if I'm being honest. I'm not bitter about that. It just didn't quite work out like it was meant to.''

Gould claimed Ivan was "tired" and then acted in what he thought were the best interests of the Panthers when he removed the man he once coached at the Roosters in the 1990s.

"I don't agree with that," Ivan says of Gould's claims he was tired. "It was a hard year, that's for sure. I'll admit that for a number of reasons. But it happens all the time. I don't think ... it's a little condescending actually. If he actually thinks that, then that's OK. But I don't agree with it."

Nathan wasn't always destined to follow in his father's footsteps. It wasn't until he was 12 years old did this "soccer skinny boy" living in Auckland tried his hand at rugby league. That experience alone almost saw him lost from the game forever.

"I'll never forget it," Nathan says. "I came from a soccer game to play an open weight game of footy. These kids ... I just couldn't believe it. We got flogged. I was 12. A real soccer skinny boy.

"These kids were huge. I mean, they had like moustaches. I remember coming halfway through the game watching someone I knew getting carried off with a dislocated shoulder. I was like, 'what have I gotten myself into'."

That following year he moved into a weighted competition.

"If it wasn't for that, there's every chance he never would have played again," Ivan admits.

"When you move house, or in our situation, move country after I left the Warriors, one of the things you have to do is sell it to the kids. That was one of the ones with Nat, telling him the footy is going to be totally different. It's only luck he was playing at all."

Thankfully, for Penrith – and NSW – he did.

Yes, we know. Origin is 12 months away. We shouldn't put pressure on the kid. But how can you not after watching what this teenager has produced on a football field since he was handed his chance last year.

After all, not even his dad thought he was ready for the NRL and he's still wiping the egg of his face.

It's an awkward one to get into. Phil Gould says he isn't ready. Of course, Nathan has to say he isn't ready. So what does his father, and one of the best judges of talent in rugby league think about the debate about his son's potential promotion to the NSW team as early as next year?

"If they are looking for a cultural shift, he would suit that," Ivan admits. "But they have to make a commitment to him for three or four years and have some experience around him."

It's ironic that when Ivan talks about the skills his son possesses, he references Origin.

"He doesn't do TV passes," Ivan says. "He does what's needed at the time. He plays like a Queenslander, actually.

"He tackles, he doesn't make errors, he kicks well, he supports. He just does what he is supposed to for the team. He's had that in him since he was a kid. The higher the grades he's gone up, the more valuable those traits have been.

"He'll go out this weekend and do the same thing he does every other. I wish he didn't, but he will."

Ivan isn't a mushy kind of guy. But even with his son sitting next to him, he can't hide his pride in what his eldest son has made of himself.

"I'm very proud," Ivan says. "Not just about footy, but how he carries himself.

"He's already edged into that role-model phase. Kids really like him. He takes his time to go and see kids. The way he handles himself on the field as well. I'm massively proud of him."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ry-battle-starts-at-home-20170805-gxpzs4.html
Most Read Articles

Thanks Ron,a great read
Looks like we have a great chance to sign this kid in 2 years time

Tigerm

First Grade
Russell Packer cashes in on his life transformation, receives Dean’s Award for studies
The Daily Telegraph
July 28, 2017 11:03am
“HE’S a completely different man to the one I first met.”

And with those words, Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has anointed Russell Packer his new forward leader.

Indeed, Cleary was willing to pay $200,000 a season more than rival club St George Illawarra for the services of Packer.

It’s a monster deal that seemed near-impossible when Packer started drinking on the streets of New Zealand at the age of 12, and even more unlikely when he served a 12-month prison stint for stomping the head of a man in a brutal, alcohol-fuelled assault in 2013.

Fittingly though, it was in prison where Packer decided to turn his life around, quitting the drink and vowing to get educated.

Fast forward to 2017 and Packer is studying a commerce degree at the University of Wollongong. He recently received a Dean’s Award for his outstanding results.

Packer also spends time working with children with disabilities in the Wollongong area, has given up alcohol and taken self-improvement courses since being released from jail.

This transformation is why Cleary was so eager to get Packer to the Tigers as his forward leader.

“He’s got a great story, a story of hard knocks and coming out the other side, and that will resonate with lots of the boys here,” the Wests Tigers coach said.

“… It’s well documented, he’s had his setbacks. But I think he’s a completely different man to the one I first met and even the one I left at the Warriors.

“He’s really changed. He’d be the first to admit that he had to make some mistakes to get where he is now.

“He can actually be a real mentor for some of the young guys here. He knows what it’s like to be on the wrong side of things and he’s making up for it now.”

3f98116204937d4cffcc0ce934041afe

media_cameraRussell Packer will join the Tigers next season.
Packer credits much of his transformation to education, which was made possible by the Graduates of League program.

“I’ve been studying at the University of Wollongong since 2015 and utilising the Graduates of League program, which has been of huge benefit to me and my studies,” Packer told the Illawarra Mercury.

“Studying while you’re playing, even though it’s hard to juggle, is good because of programs like Graduates of League that are available to you.

“It’s great opportunity for [players] who want to go to university, the resources there are unbelievable and if you don’t utilise them it’s kind of on you.

“Just having help, someone to talk to, it’s a great resource and hopefully all the boys that use the Graduates of League program fully take on board everything available to them.”

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-6_8-21-26.gif
    upload_2017-8-6_8-21-26.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Not posting this here because I'm thinking he'll come back to the Tigers, just feel a bit sorry for the guy.

South Sydney Rabbitohs shop Robbie Farah to rival clubs

Adrian Proszenko
Published:
August 22 2017 - 10:00PM

Robbie Farah's future is again at the crossroads after South Sydney began shopping the veteran hooker with a year still remaining on his contract.

Just a year after his tumultuous exit from Wests Tigers, Farah now finds himself on the outer at Redfern. The 33-year-old signed a two-year deal with Souths after his much-publicised fallout with then-Tigers coach Jason Taylor, but hasn't been able to recapture his best form at the Rabbitohs.

Farah is one of the highest-paid players in the NRL, although his transfer hasn't yet hit Souths in the hip pocket. In order to make his arrival possible, the Tigers paid $750,000 of his $950,000 contract for this season. However, there won't be any subsidy next season and Souths are questioning his value going forward. While there are likely to be denials at Rabbitohs headquarters, several clubs have told Fairfax Media they have been approached about the prospect of taking Farah for next season.

Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe personally involved himself in the pitch to Farah to ensure he made the transition. However, his presence hasn't been able to help lift South Sydney back into the finals, with the club sitting 11th ahead of Saturday's clash with minor premiers Melbourne. After having a mortgage on the NSW No.9 jersey for the best part of a decade, he was overlooked this year, with Laurie Daley settling on Nathan Peats after injury cruelled Peter Wallace's Origin comeback hopes.

Farah has been sharing the hooking duties with Damien Cook for Souths, with coach Michael Maguire alternating between the two in his starting side. Maguire has preferred Cook as the run-on rake in the past four matches, with the club winning the past three.

It remains to be seen whether Farah will be prepared to move on. He has shown he is prepared to dig his heels in when he wasn't wanted at the Tigers, even when he was threatened with - and ultimately dropped to - reserve grade. Souths are hoping the current situation won't become as ugly and protracted as that at the joint-venture outfit as they attempt to refresh a roster that has missed the finals for two straight years.

English clubs expressed interest in Farah during his final months at the Tigers and the Super League remains a viable option. However, NRL clubs will likely baulk at his asking price, even if the Rabbitohs pay some of his freight.

Despite Farah's acrimonious departure from Wests Tigers, he could yet return to the club as he has an arrangement to take up an ambassadorial role once his playing career ends.

Farah was one of the players at the unveiling of Lebanon's strip for the upcoming Rugby League World Cup at a press call at Zahli restaurant on Tuesday. but declined to take questions on anything other than Lebanon's preparations for the tournament.

NRL players have contemplated boycotting the World Cup if their pay dispute isn't resolved, but Farah is hopeful a resolution will be reached.

"I want to be involved in a World Cup, so hopefully it doesn't get to a boycott, I'm looking forward to representing Lebanon," Farah said. "I don't think it will get to that, hopefully it doesn't. I know both parties are working to a resolution and from all reports they are pretty close.

"If it does come to that, we'll assess our options but hopefully it doesn't.

"We are united, the RLPA is doing the best for us as a playing group and we're doing our best to support them. We'll cross that bridge if we come to it."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bie-farah-to-rival-clubs-20170822-gy1lnf.html

BrotherJim05

Bench
Not posting this here because I'm thinking he'll come back to the Tigers, just feel a bit sorry for the guy.

South Sydney Rabbitohs shop Robbie Farah to rival clubs

Adrian Proszenko
Published:
August 22 2017 - 10:00PM

Robbie Farah's future is again at the crossroads after South Sydney began shopping the veteran hooker with a year still remaining on his contract.

Just a year after his tumultuous exit from Wests Tigers, Farah now finds himself on the outer at Redfern. The 33-year-old signed a two-year deal with Souths after his much-publicised fallout with then-Tigers coach Jason Taylor, but hasn't been able to recapture his best form at the Rabbitohs.

Farah is one of the highest-paid players in the NRL, although his transfer hasn't yet hit Souths in the hip pocket. In order to make his arrival possible, the Tigers paid $750,000 of his $950,000 contract for this season. However, there won't be any subsidy next season and Souths are questioning his value going forward. While there are likely to be denials at Rabbitohs headquarters, several clubs have told Fairfax Media they have been approached about the prospect of taking Farah for next season.

Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe personally involved himself in the pitch to Farah to ensure he made the transition. However, his presence hasn't been able to help lift South Sydney back into the finals, with the club sitting 11th ahead of Saturday's clash with minor premiers Melbourne. After having a mortgage on the NSW No.9 jersey for the best part of a decade, he was overlooked this year, with Laurie Daley settling on Nathan Peats after injury cruelled Peter Wallace's Origin comeback hopes.

Farah has been sharing the hooking duties with Damien Cook for Souths, with coach Michael Maguire alternating between the two in his starting side. Maguire has preferred Cook as the run-on rake in the past four matches, with the club winning the past three.

It remains to be seen whether Farah will be prepared to move on. He has shown he is prepared to dig his heels in when he wasn't wanted at the Tigers, even when he was threatened with - and ultimately dropped to - reserve grade. Souths are hoping the current situation won't become as ugly and protracted as that at the joint-venture outfit as they attempt to refresh a roster that has missed the finals for two straight years.

English clubs expressed interest in Farah during his final months at the Tigers and the Super League remains a viable option. However, NRL clubs will likely baulk at his asking price, even if the Rabbitohs pay some of his freight.

Despite Farah's acrimonious departure from Wests Tigers, he could yet return to the club as he has an arrangement to take up an ambassadorial role once his playing career ends.

Farah was one of the players at the unveiling of Lebanon's strip for the upcoming Rugby League World Cup at a press call at Zahli restaurant on Tuesday. but declined to take questions on anything other than Lebanon's preparations for the tournament.

NRL players have contemplated boycotting the World Cup if their pay dispute isn't resolved, but Farah is hopeful a resolution will be reached.

"I want to be involved in a World Cup, so hopefully it doesn't get to a boycott, I'm looking forward to representing Lebanon," Farah said. "I don't think it will get to that, hopefully it doesn't. I know both parties are working to a resolution and from all reports they are pretty close.

"If it does come to that, we'll assess our options but hopefully it doesn't.

"We are united, the RLPA is doing the best for us as a playing group and we're doing our best to support them. We'll cross that bridge if we come to it."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bie-farah-to-rival-clubs-20170822-gy1lnf.html

It would be a massive lol if we got him back for 1 year but Souths had to pay most of his contract. I would honestly take him back. He can mentor Liddle and share hooking duties with him. If there are any issues with both Liddle and MM he can play 80 mins no problem.

No way, but then if he was told that the club will sign him as a depth player/mentor with the possibility of playing 1st grade only if the regular/preferred player(s) and the $$$'s will be $200k max......well, why not.

NSW Cup with Farah at 9 & Benji at 6, great for the fringe players, great for the squad with such mentors.

BUT, read the fine print in contract gents, IC is the boss.

Latest posts