What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In an 18 team comp...

siv

First Grade
Sorry siv, but seriously how the f**k do you know that they are using VRL funds for this.. not really sure what you are talking about actually. Currently Sunny Coast Falcons are a feeder for Storm and have teams in the MM Cup and U20 Fogs Colts cup. MM team is all local Sunny Coast rep players, while the 20s are predominantly local, but have an overflow of Storm NYC players as well. At the same time, the Victorian Rugby League also has teams that play in the same comps. I'm no Storm fan by any stretch, but who on here actually knows what the storm do in terms of Junior development in Melbourne. I don't disagree that they should be doing something, but people here seem to think that every club runs the same development model as the Sydney based clubs with their junior boundaries and claim to their own juniors. Wouldn't junior development in Victoria be a responsibility of the VRL, same way that in QLD junior development is overseen by the QRL, not the Queensland based NRL teams. Its a different model outside of Sydney to the one that has evolved through the Sydney and then NSWRL comps. Maybe Storm partner with VRL to do that, I don't know.

Also on the question of Melbourne moving to Sunny Coast... its an emphatic no. Seriously that idea is just a dots on maps vision.... Sure RL has great support here, but there are no corporates, and no real huge industry to support an NRL team. Part of the reason they hooked up with Melbourne was to get funding to support the Falcons, so if not enough support without Storm input I can't see how an NRL club would be sustainable here.

Not rocket science

Melbourne U18 and U16 teams are no longer

But in their place are VRL teams playing in Queenslands U20 U18 and U16 comps

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is no reason Melbourne couldnt field a sg and hm Victorian junior teams other than the bloodymindedness of the nswrl. Logistics meant it was impossible to have their juniors based in Melbourne playing in qland and as the storm wanted a reserve grade link up with a region devoid of nrl clubs, the junior system in Melbourne got screwed. The nrl should have stepped in told nswrl to sht the f**k up and made storm continue to run junior eilite teams out of Melbourne.

johnny plath

Juniors
Not rocket science

Melbourne U18 and U16 teams are no longer

But in their place are VRL teams playing in Queenslands U20 U18 and U16 comps

But wait, aren't you saying that there is no development happening in Melbourne??? But here are two junior rep teams in the VRL u18s and u20s playing in QLD state league comps?? all of the players in these teams will be from Melbourne, living in Melbourne as opposed to Storm U20s who are a grab of players from all over QLD and NSW. Isn't that a development pathway??? I might add that these teams are making a decent fist of the comp as well, both sitting mid table which seems a fair effort to me. Last season their u18s played in the Mal Meninga semis where they were beaten by the eventual champions. Also from what I saw on the GIO Schoolboys cup comp televised last year they had a strong RL school team (forget the name of them) which did pretty well as well. Who is developing these teams if the Storm aren't involved??? If its VRL well done, if its them and Storm in partnership well done again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My understanding is that there are very few Melbourne players in these qland junior teams, 3 or4 at most.

It's a real shame as Victoria was starting to dominate the affiliated state championships at under18 showing it was improving their talent pool.

johnny plath

Juniors
My understanding is that there are very few Melbourne players in these qland junior teams, 3 or4 at most.

It's a real shame as Victoria was starting to dominate the affiliated state championships at under18 showing it was improving their talent pool.
This is my point I'm trying to express but obviously not very well. The sunny coast falcons have a sprinkle of storm players in there u20s and zero in u18s. However in the same competitions the victoria rugby league have teams. .all melbourne players. I guess they call them vrl so there is a distinction from the storm. Point is victorian developed junior's. ..not necessarily storm contracted. ...are playing and doing well in elite level rep competitions. The elite rl school in Melbourne also does well in the gio schoolboys comp. Players are being developed in Melbourne and NOT playing for the storm or sunny coast falcons. I don't know why this is hard to grasp.

ATOWN2

Juniors
ah.... why are we again talking about Perth's " chances ":?

they're in
its not a matter of if..... its just when
2014 or 2015

the other team is the one that is still a bit up in the air.

This is why rugby league fans in the Affiliated States get frustrated with the NRL! This post was wrote in 2011. We are in 2017 and we are still no closer to expansion to Perth or Adelaide as we were back in 2011!!! At this rate in 20 years the NRL will still have the same 9 Sydney clubs with the same naysayers blocking expansion.

I'm a Wests Tigers fan. I live in Adelaide. I travel to Sydney twice a year to see my team play. I'll be travelling to Melbourne to watch Australia play in the World Cup later this year. If I had an Adelaide team to support I'd jump on board with them 100% and the Tigers would be my 2nd team. It makes me angry when people come up with all these bullshit excuses as to why they don't support their teams e.g. Sydney traffic, weather, scheduling etc. If you're a true fan you'll go out and support your team no matter what! Honestly at this stage I feel as though Sydney teams need to go.

As for grassroots it's the chicken and egg scenario. WA and SA were both heavyweights of the affiliated states back in the mid 90's when they had a NRL team. Build it and they will come. Unfortunately it will never happen as the NRL is run by visionless NSWRL pissants.

T-Boon

Coach
This is why rugby league fans in the Affiliated States get frustrated with the NRL! This post was wrote in 2011. We are in 2017 and we are still no closer to expansion to Perth or Adelaide as we were back in 2011!!! At this rate in 20 years the NRL will still have the same 9 Sydney clubs with the same naysayers blocking expansion.

Yes, but have you seen how great the existing clubs gyms are now?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, but have you seen how great the existing clubs gyms are now?

Nobody does centre of excellences as well as the nrl. A good return on a $1.2billion tv deal. The good news for knights fans is.... you're potential new owners want to build you a centre of excellence!

taipan

Referee
Nobody does centre of excellences as well as the nrl. A good return on a $1.2billion tv deal. The good news for knights fans is.... you're potential new owners want to build you a centre of excellence!

Club C of Es are not paid for by the NRL ,but by individual clubs and Govt grants.eg Panthers.
The Sharks are involved in setting one up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's all revenue expenditure unless 100% funded by an extra grant, of course sharks are, losing millions a year isnt nearly enough to deter them investing in a centre of excellence lol. How did the game survive one hundred years without them?

taipan

Referee
It's all revenue expenditure unless 100% funded by an extra grant, of course sharks are, losing millions a year isnt nearly enough to deter them investing in a centre of excellence lol. How did the game survive one hundred years without them?

You do understand if ASADA and the legals had not arisen, the Shark's club would be on a break even according to Gorman.Interested to see following year's accounts, with merchandise sales impacting one would suggest,G/F also,full ponsorship and seating sales.

One may ask the same question of other codes,investing in Cof Es,but you won't of course.Because it is not only good for the code, but brings Govt funding into play.

Well see again you have NFI,the money for the Shark's planned Cof E will not be unless they can work wonders funded from any NRL grant,the money comes from a variety of other sources, fan base chipping in(tax deductible BTW) to a figure of around $7m,the Govt on a dollar for dollar basis will match.

The "revenue expenditure" is not coming from gate proceeds,nor grants at present.So wrong.
If the Sharks can run a football club and admin, and have enough left over toward the Cof E (which I doubt), then good on them.
The club is applying to the State Govt part of the $40m available for community infrastructure such as this.Bearing in mind the Cof E is not wholly and solely for rugby league, but for other sports and sport people.

But nice guesswork

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I still think the best answer is a 18 team comp

But promote the two best NSW Cup/Qld Cup teams non NRL

Then play a 4 way promotion relegation 3 round robin series - wooden spooner / NSW Cup winner / Qld Cup winner / NZ Cup winner - winner plays following year

Instant national interest

T-Boon

Coach
When you look at the cash thrown at this CoE arms race by clubs and then think about areas it could be better spent you just have to shake your head.
Why not spend $10 mill on trying to get decent crowds?

T-Boon

Coach
I still think the best answer is a 18 team comp

But promote the two best NSW Cup/Qld Cup teams non NRL

Then play a 4 way promotion relegation 3 round robin series - wooden spooner / NSW Cup winner / Qld Cup winner / NZ Cup winner - winner plays following year

Instant national interest

Good idea.

First lets get rid of reserve grade. NRL clubs should have 26 contracted players and the guys that can't make into a top 25 should play in NSW & Qld Cup competition that has no connection to the NRL clubs.

Players that are in a clubs top 26 but not suiting up on game day can be loaned out to NSW & Qld cup teams.

siv

First Grade
Good idea.

First lets get rid of reserve grade. NRL clubs should have 26 contracted players and the guys that can't make into a top 25 should play in NSW & Qld Cup competition that has no connection to the NRL clubs.

Players that are in a clubs top 26 but not suiting up on game day can be loaned out to NSW & Qld cup teams.
No interest in my club paying players to help a 2nd division club

Rather them play national RG and play for a trophy for MY club

T-Boon

Coach
Rather them play national RG and play for a trophy for MY club

There isn't a rugby league fan in the country that can answer the question "who won NSW Cup last year?" Nobody cares about reserve grades at any level. It is a total waste of playing talent.

siv

First Grade
There isn't a rugby league fan in the country that can answer the question "who won NSW Cup last year?" Nobody cares about reserve grades at any level. It is a total waste of playing talent.

Yes but a NRL club fan can tell you how many trophies their RG team has won

siv

First Grade
Good idea.

Went to a NSW Cup match today

Top 4 team clash preceeded by a local district A Grade match of the same team

Turned up 30 min before kickoff grandstand was full oeople cheering the local A Grade

But a weird thing happened

With 10 min of the NSW Cup clash starting most of the grand emptied. Even though their high grade NSW Cup was playing

Seems NSW Cup fans bar old clubs like Norths and Newtown couldnt give a rats about NSW Cup.

So its not only people like me who want to follow a NRL clubs lower grades

They are basically saying a NSW Cup isnt their team either