What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Stallion

First Grade
s
well they aren't watching flogball

Yes they are not watching the "training run" but I think being able to watch rugby league would cement them as more loyal audience into the future . At the moment the AFL keeps dangling the carrot and maybe kids are not watching, but they definitely are aware of it. At every primary school I teach their is a kid that thinks AFL is the "bees knees" of football codes. The myth that it is anywhere near the toughness of rugby league is another issue. This did not happen 30 to 40 years ago!

A boy from a class(I'm a relief primary school teacher) asked me about rugby league and why I liked it and I stated: " In rugby league it is a true test of physical and mental commitment. I mentioned the tackling of someone running straight at you is a massive skill with courage and timing. I told them a true story about the fact that I played AFL for training whilst on tour with NSW Tertiary students rugby league team in Melbourne. I then said" I have yet to hear of an AFL team playing rugby league for training?"

The male teacher that I was standing in for came into the room and then proceeded to say "That rugby league players can't catch a ball like AFL players!" I was puzzled at his response but quietly listened to his out of touch and incorrect observation.(The fact he is using catching as a massive skill is concerning!) This was this guy's argument when I had clearly pointed out the deficiencies of AFL compared to RL. The worrying thing is that this guy continues on his merry way of poor sporting information and the game of rugby league loses another kid.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
There's a lot to question the media dopes at the NRL

Was recently in Canada for a tour of the Rockies, on the Sports Channel there were AFL games replayed. Spoke to a few people there, who said its just background stuff as no one knows what is going on, Asked if they saw NRL, no - there is nothing like that. Strange thing is that there are rugby posts everywhere, and even in Banff they were locals playing touch at the sports field ( which had rugby posts )

Why on earth haven't the NRL provided free of charge NRL games into places like Canada where they actually play some sort of rugby.

Guess Toddy Boy is too busy figuring out where Western Sydney is , as he seems to have no idea about that, even less concerning publicising the game in markets which have some background. In Vancouver they even have a boutique rugby league competition, the head in he sand attitude from League Headquarters under Greenberg remains

Stallion

First Grade
There's a lot to question the media dopes at the NRL

Was recently in Canada for a tour of the Rockies, on the Sports Channel there were AFL games replayed. Spoke to a few people there, who said its just background stuff as no one knows what is going on, Asked if they saw NRL, no - there is nothing like that. Strange thing is that there are rugby posts everywhere, and even in Banff they were locals playing touch at the sports field ( which had rugby posts )

Why on earth haven't the NRL provided free of charge NRL games into places like Canada where they actually play some sort of rugby.

Guess Toddy Boy is too busy figuring out where Western Sydney is , as he seems to have no idea about that, even less concerning publicising the game in markets which have some background. In Vancouver they even have a boutique rugby league competition, the head in he sand attitude from League Headquarters under Greenberg remains

Agree. And the Toronto Wolfpack (7,000 plus home crowds) is a clear recent example that this great game is attractive and can grow immensely in other areas of the world.

The Australian development guys within the rugby league have a lot of soul searching and improving to do! They have clearly dropped the ball and are not articulating threats and are not improving administration and proactive promotion of the code in junior and senior level.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Yes. The issue is that rugby league is allowing other codes the free kick on free to air TV. At the moment the other codes are not gaining great ratings but this familiarity and the limited exposure of RL on free to air will ultimately reduce the visibility and popularity of the game, particularly with kids. The kids look for a sport to watch on weekends and if it's not on free to air, it is less likely to be viewed and become familiar with a developing person. The young kid is likely to think "This is the way it is. This must be the "in" football code. Think I'll have to play it as well?"

Another example is the blanket exposure of AFL at MacDonald's takeaway outlets last year. What do you think kids think when they are bombarded with this "in your face" advertising of AFL at the drivethrus throughout NSW & QLD? They get a perception that this must be the IN code!

Meanwhile rugby league has been sitting on its hands letting this all happen in their own backyard? Don't think I'll ever see an "in your face" drive thru rugby league advert in the states of Victoria & South Australia at any MacDonald's!

Correct, its amazing at the moment to see the families who arent traditionally wedded to a sport, are gravitating to AFL a lot in NSW ... the traditional kind of swinging voter type who really has no deep like or dislike of one sport.. their kids play afl on sat, league on sunday or whatever.

Problem is NRL arent getting anywhere near his traction in the AFL states..

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a reason companies spend billions of $'s a year on marketing! Until the NRl wake up to this fact we will continue to slide further into our little pools of interest. NRL cant do it in its own backyard, what hope of getting on the front foot in AFL territory? We get $100mill+ of contra advertising as part of the media deals, what's that going on? Why isn't the NRL linking up with KFC given we advertise the frickers so much? You can walk around Sydney or Brisbane city and not know at all that they are RL cities. Indeed last time in Sydney AFL had auskick set up in the city cbd area! Out TV and attendnaces are dropping (and don't even start to calculate them as a % of population growth because they are dropping even quicker). NRL needs to get on the front foot with significant national promotion. Playing one or two games a year in Adelaide or Perth and wallowing in the success of SOO isn't going to cut it for much longer.

taipan

Referee
There's a reason companies spend billions of $'s a year on marketing! Until the NRl wake up to this fact we will continue to slide further into our little pools of interest. NRL cant do it in its own backyard, what hope of getting on the front foot in AFL territory? We get $100mill+ of contra advertising as part of the media deals, what's that going on? Why isn't the NRL linking up with KFC given we advertise the frickers so much? You can walk around Sydney or Brisbane city and not know at all that they are RL cities. Indeed last time in Sydney AFL had auskick set up in the city cbd area! Out TV and attendnaces are dropping (and don't even start to calculate them as a % of population growth because they are dropping even quicker). NRL needs to get on the front foot with significant national promotion. Playing one or two games a year in Adelaide or Perth and wallowing in the success of SOO isn't going to cut it for much longer.

And despite all the advertising, all the money poured into Brisbane and Sydney,all the ads in Maccas stores ,where people appear to be more concerned getting their fries and Big Macs in a queue,the TV ratings are shockers.
And AWFUL via the Swans has been here since 1982,been in and won grand finals and been consistently in the top group,had the assistance of a SL war and the flick and amalgamation of 5 ARL teams, had love ins with the Sydney media.

They now have a Brisbane team losing millions over years not months,a Gold Coast team with a high profile player and their attendances have dwindled,the Gnats who are at the top yet no one gives a rats, this despite their grassroots growth.The fans have maintained decent crowds but outside attendees their TV ratings are static and ordinarily static.

I repeat whilst it's good to throw huge sums(if you've got it) around in marketing ,you want results .Grassroots growth is important but it is not translating into big growth in crowds or eyes on TV sets.

And until it sinks into your head, whilst our earlier TV deals were well under the AWFUL's,the fact that code had large sums of money in the bank in addition not sucked up by any type of SL war, they had money to throw around on grassroots and Maccas whilst we didn't .
And they learnt how to lobby Governments for financial assistance for stadiums,and grassroots,somnething our earlier administrators were hopeless at.
Gallop continually ignored requests by the Storm for development funding assistance, in an area with a team fighting to get a niche.He stuffed up even in places like Wagga.

And we under Smith decided to spend millions on high priced execs who achieved little, money that could have been spent on grassroots.How much extra would we have got, from Murdoch if Smith hadn't decided to go rogue?

The code can spend more money nationally repeat nationally on grassroots from the current deal 2018 onwards,provided @ the players don't get too greedy wanting too much of the pie b)Expansion is not pushed ahead too early as that means $26m taken out of the kitty.

Yes the AFL is ahead, but that code has had steady leadership, and a press even in non heartland areas
that rarely gives them a harsh word.
That code got into GPS and Assoc schools ,the NRL could not (and apparently has tried before)because of their union ties and the old school tie mob not wanting it.That certainly helped their AWFUL's cause.

Might I further add you won't get bigger crowds with stadiums like ANZ,and on TV when your major drawing teams are not performing like Dogs,Tigers and Dragons Knights,and when your scheduling is not family friendly.That is the situation currently facing the NRL.And getting a small crowd in Perth does not help crowd averages or viewing on the box.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

You can drive from Sydney Airport and see an Ad for the GWS on a huge billboard, then down anzac pde and see Afl posts outside the SCG ,

A visitor would think they are in Melbourne,,

Stallion

First Grade
And despite all the advertising, all the money poured into Brisbane and Sydney,all the ads in Maccas stores ,where people appear to be more concerned getting their fries and Big Macs in a queue,the TV ratings are shockers.
And AWFUL via the Swans has been here since 1982,been in and won grand finals and been consistently in the top group,had the assistance of a SL war and the flick and amalgamation of 5 ARL teams, had love ins with the Sydney media.

They now have a Brisbane team losing millions over years not months,a Gold Coast team with a high profile player and their attendances have dwindled,the Gnats who are at the top yet no one gives a rats, this despite their grassroots growth.The fans have maintained decent crowds but outside attendees their TV ratings are static and ordinarily static.

I repeat whilst it's good to throw huge sums(if you've got it) around in marketing ,you want results .Grassroots growth is important but it is not translating into big growth in crowds or eyes on TV sets.

And until it sinks into your head, whilst our earlier TV deals were well under the AWFUL's,the fact that code had large sums of money in the bank in addition not sucked up by any type of SL war, they had money to throw around on grassroots and Maccas whilst we didn't .
And they learnt how to lobby Governments for financial assistance for stadiums,and grassroots,somnething our earlier administrators were hopeless at.
Gallop continually ignored requests by the Storm for development funding assistance, in an area with a team fighting to get a niche.He stuffed up even in places like Wagga.

And we under Smith decided to spend millions on high priced execs who achieved little, money that could have been spent on grassroots.How much extra would we have got, from Murdoch if Smith hadn't decided to go rogue?

The code can spend more money nationally repeat nationally on grassroots from the current deal 2018 onwards,provided @ the players don't get too greedy wanting too much of the pie b)Expansion is not pushed ahead too early as that means $26m taken out of the kitty.

Yes the AFL is ahead, but that code has had steady leadership, and a press even in non heartland areas
that rarely gives them a harsh word.
That code got into GPS and Assoc schools ,the NRL could not (and apparently has tried before)because of their union ties and the old school tie mob not wanting it.That certainly helped their AWFUL's cause.

Might I further add you won't get bigger crowds with stadiums like ANZ,and on TV when your major drawing teams are not performing like Dogs,Tigers and Dragons Knights,and when your scheduling is not family friendly.That is the situation currently facing the NRL.And getting a small crowd in Perth does not help crowd averages or viewing on the box.

Many clubs you did not mention have large followings as well. You adeptly write/mention about the private school situation and this is the most disturbing one.
That code got into GPS and Assoc schools ,the NRL could not (and apparently has tried before)because of their union ties and the old school tie mob not wanting it. That certainly helped their AWFUL's cause.
Given that the AFL has gained this traction in these private schools of NSW & QLD and RL still has not, that should be enough for the Rugby league development officers to publicize/lobby and perhaps "shame" the current treatment of rugby league in most private schools?

The majority of people are not aware of this "exclusion" that RL has faced for many decades! Remembering that the AFL is promoting a long-term strategy for a what is essentially a very ordinary football code that is much like an energetic training run for most rugby league players. My gut feel is that AFL has gained this extraordinary access to NSW & QLD private schools with the consent of rugby union behind closed doors. My hunch is that the rugby union people see AFL as another means of weakening rugby league's player ranks and the gratuity in return is AFL access to private school system.

If you look at the lengths at which rugby union has used its influence in other parts of the world this is not beyond their way of thinking and tactics to repress rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not that I want to derail the thread with afl talk, but as taipan brought it up:
whilst you are correct their tv audiences are nothing to write home about in Sydney and Brisbane you'd be foolish to think since they started their expansion there hasn't been:
More people playing the game, more people watching the game and a heck of a lot more media coverage of the game in these two states than pre expansion. I'm pretty sure if we had a Storm club the size of the swans and an Adelaide club with the Lions membership and attendance we wouldn't be unhappy.
End of day there are reasons they continually dwarf us in TV deals and corporate support, a national footprint is one of those reasons.

Bit of a furphy suggesting the NRl hasn't pumped significant amount of money into the Storm since their inception, first of all through the money taken out of the game by their News ltd owners ($8mill a year) and then a guaranteed extra $4.5mill a year when ownership changed. Both codes know they have to invest in expansion if they are to be successful and sustainable with it.

you keep going on about Smiths salary and his high priced execs, the hard facts are that Greenburg is spending more on admin costs than Smith ever did. That is yet more money disappearing out of the game.

And do we really have to get into the $26million price of expansion (which in reality is probably going to be more like $30-35million) v's the value of a ninth game to sell again?

taipan

Referee
Many clubs you did not mention have large followings as well. You adeptly write/mention about the private school situation and this is the most disturbing one.
That code got into GPS and Assoc schools ,the NRL could not (and apparently has tried before)because of their union ties and the old school tie mob not wanting it. That certainly helped their AWFUL's cause.
Given that the AFL has gained this traction in these private schools of NSW & QLD and RL still has not, that should be enough for the Rugby league development officers to publicize/lobby and perhaps "shame" the current treatment of rugby league in most private schools?

The majority of people are not aware of this "exclusion" that RL has faced for many decades! Remembering that the AFL is promoting a long-term strategy for a what is essentially a very ordinary football code that is much like an energetic training run for most rugby league players. My gut feel is that AFL has gained this extraordinary access to NSW & QLD private schools with the consent of rugby union behind closed doors. My hunch is that the rugby union people see AFL as another means of weakening rugby league's player ranks and the gratuity in return is AFL access to private school system.

If you look at the lengths at which rugby union has used its influence in other parts of the world this is not beyond their way of thinking and tactics to repress rugby league.

And I left out South Sydney.

The major crowd pullers in Sydney are Souths,Parra,Tigers,Dogs and Dragons,inarguable.
Where are the bulk of them this year? Apart from the Eels, they are struggling.
The best year for crowds was 2005 when the Tigers with Benji won the G/F and the other big following clubs in the main were doing were do.ing ok.

Once on radioman a talk back show I asked the then hopeless NRL CEPO Moffat why the code does not get into these schools.His response we have tried, it's too hard.

The problem is the inbuilt tradition at these schools of union as the amateur code and league the pro.The School's councils are run by the old school tie brigade and they will ensure rl does not get into their establishments,as it may impact union.I've attended two of these schools.

I know about union officialdom's attitude toward rl.historically via Vichy,the armed Services in the UK and their influence in Private schools.

One thing I did find out today in the Telecrap, if you can believe Rothfield.That player managers are getting big numbers of young top line private school union players ,wanting to have a shot at rugby league.Why/ Because union ATM is a shambles.

taipan

Referee
Not that I want to derail the thread with afl talk, but as taipan brought it up:
whilst you are correct their tv audiences are nothing to write home about in Sydney and Brisbane you'd be foolish to think since they started their expansion there hasn't been:
More people playing the game, more people watching the game and a heck of a lot more media coverage of the game in these two states than pre expansion. I'm pretty sure if we had a Storm club the size of the swans and an Adelaide club with the Lions membership and attendance we wouldn't be unhappy.
End of day there are reasons they continually dwarf us in TV deals and corporate support, a national footprint is one of those reasons.

Bit of a furphy suggesting the NRl hasn't pumped significant amount of money into the Storm since their inception, first of all through the money taken out of the game by their News ltd owners ($8mill a year) and then a guaranteed extra $4.5mill a year when ownership changed. Both codes know they have to invest in expansion if they are to be successful and sustainable with it.

you keep going on about Smiths salary and his high priced execs, the hard facts are that Greenburg is spending more on admin costs than Smith ever did. That is yet more money disappearing out of the game.

And do we really have to get into the $26million price of expansion (which in reality is probably going to be more like $30-35million) v's the value of a ninth game to sell again?

Well if Brisbane expansion is anything to go by no.Suns a little bit better.Swans of course but they got in early and used SL war to their instant advantage.The Gnats top of the ladder, crowds basic,TV ratings ordinary.
More people watching the games in the northern states sorry disagree,.The Tv ratings and crowds bare this out.
Grassroots has grown yes.Grassroots at junior level in rl has grown in Melbourne with a lot less expenditure yes not by huge numbers, and hence the reason more money is desperately needed for grassroots Nationally.

The Storm did not get the huge lift by the local media that the Swans have, did not get the huge funding lift up also, nor the huge marketing budget.
The very first day the swans came to town, they got front page in the SMH,prancing around the Opera House.
I repeat anyway they had the money ,to date the NRL has not.

As explained having access to private schools helps with corporate support.Players carrying on like d*ck heads and getting News and the Herald playing the negatives doesn't help attracting sponsors.

Um News Ltd pumped the money into the Storm in the main the NRL only small by comparison,and how much is spent promoting NRL in Melbourne compared to AFL here?
Smith spent huge sums on entertaining in high class places and events, wasted nearly 3/4 m on an SFS study.When one is a high class Banker and is used to all the perks, you are kidding if you think they are not going to continue in the same vein.

I've already spelt out the comparisons in expenditure at head office under Smith and under Greenberg.One had digital the other not so for a start.

"Disappearing out of the game", the figures have been provided to the RLPA ,they disagree with that view, and certainly have now not openly stated that is the case.

If the NRL grants a club $13m pa ,as is the new Grant deal, then two clubs would cost $26m minimum, plus of course assistance in starting up costs.Who knows what that figure is!!!
The 2018-2022 TV deal with all the accepted outgoings ,does not have the money ATM to do it.Esle it would be agreed to expand.

Stallion

First Grade
So they should want to play rugby league. It's a better code!

However the problem occurs when RL may dwindle and RU bounces back, not by being attractive but by default, in the guise of a RL ally but actually undermining RL then prevailing due to its establishment backing.

I doubt whether RL has genuinely used its public profile to gain traction into private schools? Shear public pressure and amazement as what is really going on should promote change. And change does occur!

If people are now following RL in Canada surely the private school system can finally become truly inclusive instead of being inwardly biased against RL in of all places Australia where the game is the number 1 rugby code!?

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Apparently suns and gws have cost afl $100m now on top of the grant money in 5 years

This would be why nrl is reluctant to go to Adelaide and Perth again

They have to give each team probably $10m each / year in marketing funds to grow the game ..

Let's be honest if you want to take on crows and eagles for supporters and corporate $ you are gonna need cashola

taipan

Referee
So they should want to play rugby league. It's a better code!

However the problem occurs when RL may dwindle and RU bounces back, not by being attractive but by default, in the guise of a RL ally but actually undermining RL then prevailing due to its establishment backing.

I doubt whether RL has genuinely used its public profile to gain traction into private schools? Shear public pressure and amazement as what is really going on should promote change. And change does occur!

If people are now following RL in Canada surely the private school system can finally become truly inclusive instead of being inwardly biased against RL in of all places Australia where the game is the number 1 rugby code!?

In fact it has tried.The Sport's master at the school I attended was a former first grade rl player, they still played union.Blocker Roach's son went to Riverview and Blocker tried to get the code into the school, and it's not there now.

The trouble is now, union is getting smaller in these private schools due to the inroads of Wendy ball and AWFUL.That means the chances of the GPS and Assoc schools councils full of old school tiers, getting rl on the sporting agenda is much less possible ,than it was prior IMO.

If the NRL use their cash wisely instead of on high flyers ,listens to the grassroots and volunteers,promotes and eventually expands, has the better stadiums promised, they should grow not only their crowds but their grassroots base.And the players act like responsible citizens rather than the odd one carrying on like a d*ckhead ,so the media can have a go.

Stallion

First Grade
In fact it has tried.The Sport's master at the school I attended was a former first grade rl player, they still played union.Blocker Roach's son went to Riverview and Blocker tried to get the code into the school, and it's not there now.

The trouble is now, union is getting smaller in these private schools due to the inroads of Wendy ball and AWFUL.That means the chances of the GPS and Assoc schools councils full of old school tiers, getting rl on the sporting agenda is much less possible ,than it was prior IMO.

If the NRL use their cash wisely instead of on high flyers ,listens to the grassroots and volunteers,promotes and eventually expands, has the better stadiums promised, they should grow not only their crowds but their grassroots base.And the players act like responsible citizens rather than the odd one carrying on like a d*ckhead ,so the media can have a go.

This is where we have the dilemma! I am absolutely certain if rugby league prioritized this access of its sport into the private school system instead of having "individual efforts then something positive will happen. You touch on our players play up. perhaps this may be linked to the demographic that our sport is allowed to have play(mostly public school and few private schools)?

This is where the seeds of the games issues lie! It is essential that if rugby league is to be truly demographically representative it should have universal access to all school systems just like the other football codes. In fact I would suggest their is a human right element to this lack of access rugby league suffers in the private school system.

I will be forwarding a new thread that emphasizes the structural issues of our game on both a local and National/international level in the near future. Should provide some interesting thoughts and perhaps some ideas to progress.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Recently, the Confraternity Rugby League comp was held over a few days at Padua College in Brisbane. A good array of private schools from all over QLD incl some big union schools Marist Ashgrove & St Laurence's from brisbane. It's good to see. I also read that in recent years about 5 blokes from Churchie (big prestigious union playing school in Bris) have/are playing in the NRL. You'd think that would be enough to have some rugby league at the school.

http://www.qissrl.sportzvault.com/content.aspx?file=69292|44844d