What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty in the 17 for Raiders game

JDHD

Juniors
What are the chances he actually gets a run? Does he stick around or does Dugan slot in and push Mann to the bench in lieu of Dufty?

NRL Team: Round 19 v Canberra Raiders

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named a 23-man squad for the Dragons’ Round 19 clash against the Canberra Raiders at GIO Stadium, Bruce on Friday, July 14.

Josh Dugan has been named in the 23-man squad, pending fitness following State of Origin on Wednesday night, while Tyson Frizell will be rested, along with Euan Aitken (hamstring soreness) with both expected to be available for Round 20.

Taane Milne replaces Euan Aitken in the centres, Tariq Sims replaces Frizell in the back row while Josh McCrone has been named at halfback, with Kurt Mann shifting to the wing and Nightingale to fullback.

Paul Vaughan (calf) is a chance to play for the fist time since Round 16. He has been named on an extended bench along with Dufty, Leulia , Marketo, Dugan, Leilua, Vaughan and Matthews.

NRL Squad for Round 19 v Canberra Raiders:

1. Jason Nightingale

2. Nene Macdonald

3. Taane Milne

4. Tim Lafai

5. Kurt Mann

6. Gareth Widdop

7. Josh McCrone

8. Russell Packer

9. Cameron McInnes

10. Leeson Ah Mau

11. Tariq Sims

12. Joel Thompson

13. Jack de Belin

Interchange

14. Jacob Host

15. Blake Lawrie

16. Hame Sele

17. Matt Dufty

18. Jake Marketo

19. Josh Dugan

20. Luciano Leilua

21. Paul Vaughan

22. Will Matthews

Players unavailable:

Euan Aitken (hamstring - soreness) – Round 20

Tyson Frizell (rested) – Round 20

Drew Hutchison (knee) – indefinite

Siliva Havili (pectoral) – indefinite

Kiti Glymin (shoulder) – indefinite

Levi Dodd (knee) – season

Bench
If Dufty stays in the 17 I would like to see him come on during the game and get some decent minutes.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Yes! I really sincerely hope he gets played. Knowing him IRL, and after being associated with his junior club, Penshurst RSL, I have seen him play as a kid as well. Freakish talent. He needs to get a go. Field is not the solution for fullback. I want to make this very, very clear. He does not have the natural game of a fullback, but a five eighth/half. There will be no space for him in that area though for the next few years as of Widdop and Hunt, but- he CAN become a bench utility. A good one too. He can be a Nikorima-type player and halfway through the game, bring him in to add some spark and speed to the game to outdo the tired forwards from the opposition. This is what SHOULD be done, but WON'T be done because of the two lunatics Mary and Milward. It is a mess.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes! I really sincerely hope he gets played. Knowing him IRL, and after being associated with his junior club, Penshurst RSL, I have seen him play as a kid as well. Freakish talent. He needs to get a go. Field is not the solution for fullback. I want to make this very, very clear. He does not have the natural game of a fullback, but a five eighth/half. There will be no space for him in that area though for the next few years as of Widdop and Hunt, but- he CAN become a bench utility. A good one too. He can be a Nikorima-type player and halfway through the game, bring him in to add some spark and speed to the game to outdo the tired forwards from the opposition. This is what SHOULD be done, but WON'T be done because of the two lunatics Mary and Milward. It is a mess.

Spoken like a true Possum ! :innocent:

But it is about bluudy time ! And who knows , he may even have the chance to remove the splinters from his butt, after sitting on that wooden bench ?

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
Come end of the week I can't see Dufty staying in the 17, as much as I want him to. Actually I would rather him in the 13.

With Aitken out I just don't know why we have Milne in 3, move Mann to 3 and then Dufty/Nighty can go 1&5.
Why the hell wouldn't you play Milne. It would be childish not to play him. He hasn't left us just yet.

Come end of the week I can't see Dufty staying in the 17, as much as I want him to. Actually I would rather him in the 13.

With Aitken out I just don't know why we have Milne in 3, move Mann to 3 and then Dufty/Nighty can go 1&5.
What about Dugan to centre (if he's fit), Leave Mann at 7, leave Nightingale on the wing where he belongs and play Dufty at FB?
At least Dugan will have a better chance of dealing with Leilua.
Surely Milne does not provide any upside considering he is already gone.

Drag Queen

Bench
What about Dugan to centre (if he's fit), Leave Mann at 7, leave Nightingale on the wing where he belongs and play Dufty at FB?
Surely Milne does not provide any upside considering he is already gone.[/QU
Do you want a win or not Denis? Milne is still contracted to us and he's a good centre. Let's not bite off our nose to spite the face.

It's just a suggestion
Of course I want us to win and win handsomely but we are just doing the same thing we have done for the last 8 weeks.
We really haven't won many during that time.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Why the hell wouldn't you play Milne. It would be childish not to play him. He hasn't left us just yet.

I dont think Milne is 'THAT' much a better player than others in our club that he should get a run ahead of others who have more upside and long term benefit for the club. Just my opinion, yours might differ.

In my scenario I was assuming Dugan wasn't playing. Also as much as individually Mann may be a better player (not necessarily half) than McCrone, I think Widdop is more comfortable with McCrone which therefore is better for the team - that's the only logic I come up with as to why McCrone keeps being 7