What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Apparently suns and gws have cost afl $100m now on top of the grant money in 5 years

This would be why nrl is reluctant to go to Adelaide and Perth again

They have to give each team probably $10m each / year in marketing funds to grow the game ..

Let's be honest if you want to take on crows and eagles for supporters and corporate $ you are gonna need cashola
On top of the grant money for both clubs its cost Vicky Kicky house $200 mill for both clubs over 5 years and they are both still giving out free tickets like confetti.
Like i said in a earlier post every time i put $60 or more petrol in my car i get 2 free tickets to the next midgets home game, and like i have said before you would have to be a fool to pay to watch the midgets with all the freebies given out for their home game.
I'm proud to say that i bin the tickets like a vast majority of people here do n Blacktown

Stallion

First Grade
Recently, the Confraternity Rugby League comp was held over a few days at Padua College in Brisbane. A good array of private schools from all over QLD incl some big union schools Marist Ashgrove & St Laurence's from brisbane. It's good to see. I also read that in recent years about 5 blokes from Churchie (big prestigious union playing school in Bris) have/are playing in the NRL. You'd think that would be enough to have some rugby league at the school.

http://www.qissrl.sportzvault.com/content.aspx?file=69292|44844d

You bring up a good point!

Their was a 12 school private school competition that existed in Brisbane from 1928 to 1938.

This brings the supposition that rugby league can and has been played in private schools. The people of NSW need to see this eventuate in this state for rugby league as it can and should occur!

This sport should not be an outcast especially given its real world popularity. At that moment this "policy" of NSW private schools reeks of bigotry!

Billythekid

First Grade
Fantastic ratings though I was hoping we would push closer to 4 million, the result probably didn't help. Yet again shows the strength of league that we can have 3 matches in the middle of our season that rate like GF's.

On a different note did the Aus open final rate much higher this year? I know it used to have monster ratings but in recent years I didn't think it rated so highly. I'm assuming it was the hype around Federer being there, tennis will miss his presence.

Edit: what were the ratings for the other main capital cities. A quick hit of math in my head says over 600K between the 3 which seems pretty good.

DC_fan

Coach
How does the ratings for Origin 3 compare to games played in the past? With all the prematch hype this game received it must be up there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Edit: what were the ratings for the other main capital cities. A quick hit of math in my head says over 600K between the 3 which seems pretty good.

Rank Description (grouped) Channel\Network (r) 5 City Metro Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth
1 STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE QLD V NSW 3RD -MATCH Nine
Metro 2,488,000 Sydney 1,003,000 Melbourne 378,000 Brisbane 867,000 Adelaide 113,000 Perth 126,000

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/07/wednesday-12-july-2017.html

El Diablo

Post Whore
things will change when ratings are adjusted and the consolidated ones come out

so they could go up or down

magpie_man

Juniors
Fantastic work from Adelaide, beating Perth despite having a smaller population.
Looks like the recent game in the City of Churches has really stoked the interest of the locals in RL.

taipan

Referee
Fantastic work from Adelaide, beating Perth despite having a smaller population.
Looks like the recent game in the City of Churches has really stoked the interest of the locals in RL.

Can we thus summarise :Christians 1 Quokkas 0

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
How does the ratings for Origin 3 compare to games played in the past? With all the prematch hype this game received it must be up there.

Cant compare now... FTA tv numbers has dropped of a cliff in last 3 years..

would need to add the streaming numbers in now.. which no one does

mongoose

Coach
Apparently suns and gws have cost afl $100m now on top of the grant money in 5 years

This would be why nrl is reluctant to go to Adelaide and Perth again

They have to give each team probably $10m each / year in marketing funds to grow the game ..

Let's be honest if you want to take on crows and eagles for supporters and corporate $ you are gonna need cashola

Don't have to take them on, just provide an alternative for them to AFL. I travel a bit for work and there is surprisingly a lot of casual interest for League in these cities. I was talking to a guy from Perth recently who follows the Eagles religiously but was also a big fan of the Cowboys and was asking me about them and also what suncorp stadium is like.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly traditionally it's always been the local media in cahoots with the AFL/VFL/SANFL (take your pick) that has frozen any rival sports out. It's only in the last 20-25 years Melbourne, Adelaide etc have matured as sporting cities. Thankfully people 30 or under have interest in other codes outside Ausie Rules.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Better time zone in Adelaide, it would be a 6pm kick-off in Perth.

7pm by time I was home and watching it, I guess if you are a more casual viewer you'd likely be turning on the tv around 6:30-7pm. Stilll given most afl games get sub 150kmaudience in Perth it stacks up ok.