What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

oldmancraigy

Coach
If we can win a series with Hodkinson at halfback then I don't see why we can't win one with Pearce.

He is the best of a bad bunch at the moment. I think we got what we expected from Pearce last night. There were other guys that I was much more disapointed with than Pearce - WOODS, PEATS, FIFITA, FERGUSON, CORDNER, FRIZELL and JACKSON.

You are dead wrong.
Pearce kicks to the FB on the full
EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
even from 1m out he cannot make the grubber bounce.

The halfbacks job is NOT to guts it out. He needs to organise pass and kick. Pearce fails all 3 every Origin he has ever played. To pick him is like chopping off one hand before playing a game of team handball. You know you are handicapping yourself.

Loz and Sterlo should wear the blame. Loz has nothing as a coach
Sterlo rated Luke Kelly as the next big thing.
Have mercy.

big hit!

Bench
Really? you MUST be a Pearce fan?

Watch game 1 again. 12-4 he gets knocked out and removed. First 10 of the second half the Maroons were threatening and Pearce kept doing the same old same old of kicking it to the FB on the full.
Pearce gets KO'd.
Tedesco scores
Fifita scores
Hayne scores.

The blues effort was good, no class on the right from the playmaker. Maybe we wouldn't have won the series playing someone else, but it is a guaranteed series loss to pick Pearce.

effort? pearce had effort too. why are the rest of NSW players applauded for effort but not Pearce? NSW starting forwards (ex frizell) were f**king woeful on both sides of the ball and NSW couldnt even muster 70% completed positions in the first half.

graham jumped out of defence for mcguire's linebreak which led to a try in game 2 shifting the momentum, gave away penalties in both games, yet it's only pearce's indiscretions that are criticised?

no, not a pearce fan. just think the hysteria over him is ridiculous.

game 1
tedesco scored scooting out from dummy half.
fifita scored after he gathered the ball o'neill dropped 2 metres out from the QLD line.
hayne's try was another o'neill defensive special.

so only one try went through the hands while Pearce was off, exposing a spud who QLD since dropped for games 2 and 3. all tries came in just a 10 minute period in the second half. why didn't NSW score more tries in the final 20 mins of game 1 while Pearce was still off? more holes in your argument than swiss cheese. no analysis, just he scored and he scored.

fact is, QLD had the better of play here at the end of game 1 while pearce was off. they had 3 clear chances to score, just couldn't get the ball down over the line.

oh but let's just focus on pearce!

oldmancraigy

Coach
effort? pearce had effort too. why are the rest of NSW players applauded for effort but not Pearce? NSW starting forwards (ex frizell) were f**king woeful on both sides of the ball and NSW couldnt even muster 70% completed positions in the first half.

graham jumped out of defence for mcguire's linebreak which led to a try in game 2 shifting the momentum, gave away penalties in both games, yet it's only pearce's indiscretions that are criticised?

game 1
fifita scored after he gathered the ball o'neill dropped 2 metres out from the QLD line.

so only one try went through the hands while Pearce was off, exposing a spud who QLD since dropped for games 2 and 3. all tries came in just a 10 minute period in the second half. why didn't NSW score more tries in the final 20 mins of game 1 while Pearce was still off? more holes in your argument than swiss cheese. no analysis, just he scored and he scored.

fact is, QLD had the better of play here at the end of game 1 while pearce was off. they had 3 clear chances to score, just couldn't get the ball down over the line.

Huh?

When did I say Pearce didn't try?
I said he can't kick pass or organise EVER at Origin level. Proven stat.
I also said we scored 16 points after he went off. Proven stat.

You're the one who was pointing out the 'holes in the argument'. Which one? That we scored 16 with him off? You said 16 with him on - um, no. I listed the timeline of who scored after he went off to prove the point.

Sure, every player makes mistakes, but when the halfback cannot do any of the things that halfbacks are required to do at the top level, it is a rather severe hamstringing for the team? No? You think a good thing?

Clearly you are delusional enough to believe that Pearce will win an Origin series one day. Good luck with that fantasy.

Also, you cleverly pointed out how Queensland dropped a dud which lead to their success. That's kind of the point I'm making - NSW needs to do the same thing if they want to have Origin success, drop the dud and move on.

forward pass

Coach
You are dead wrong.
Pearce kicks to the FB on the full
EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
even from 1m out he cannot make the grubber bounce.

The halfbacks job is NOT to guts it out. He needs to organise pass and kick. Pearce fails all 3 every Origin he has ever played. To pick him is like chopping off one hand before playing a game of team handball. You know you are handicapping yourself.

Loz and Sterlo should wear the blame. Loz has nothing as a coach
Sterlo rated Luke Kelly as the next big thing.
Have mercy.

Mate I agree with you. I don't think Pearce is up to it. I was just making the point that we still won a series with Hodkinson and Reynolds so if everyone else performs, you can sometimes get away with it.

As bad as Pearce is, Adam Reynolds last year was worse. So who's up next?

Danish

Referee
How many QLD kicks do people want to guess found grass yesterday?

I'll give you a hint. It was 1. A shanked mid-field bomb which bounced 25m out and teddy ran onto it.

How's about Maloney? Zero.

You'll find the stats quite similar for origin 1 and 2

The amount of kicks, especially kicks coming out of your own territory (the only kicks Pearce had all night), are basically impossible to grass if you have a fullback and winger back there who know how to position themselves. You just roost the ball as far as possible going for maximum hang time to give your chasers a chance to get there and round up the catcher (helps if they aren't barrelled over by block runners too).

I don't want Pearce in origin anymore but deadset people who go on about kicks "not finding grass" are dinosaurs still living in the 80s

big hit!

Bench
Huh?

When did I say Pearce didn't try?
I said he can't kick pass or organise EVER at Origin level. Proven stat.
I also said we scored 16 points after he went off. Proven stat.

You're the one who was pointing out the 'holes in the argument'. Which one? That we scored 16 with him off? You said 16 with him on - um, no. I listed the timeline of who scored after he went off to prove the point.

Sure, every player makes mistakes, but when the halfback cannot do any of the things that halfbacks are required to do at the top level, it is a rather severe hamstringing for the team? No? You think a good thing?

Clearly you are delusional enough to believe that Pearce will win an Origin series one day. Good luck with that fantasy.

Also, you cleverly pointed out how Queensland dropped a dud which lead to their success. That's kind of the point I'm making - NSW needs to do the same thing if they want to have Origin success, drop the dud and move on.

game 2, first half - 16 pts with him on the field. proven stat!

tries were also scored by NSW in game 1 with him on the field. and tries were scored with him on the field in game 2. proven stat!

pearce has had his time and he should be just 1 of about 6 players culled, IMO. but you couldve replaced him with any other eligible half and it wouldve been the same result. maloney wasn't much better either. end of the day, starting forwards didn't aim up, and clowns giving away penalties when NSW were at least mounting some pressure.

but nup, it's 100% pearce's fault

game 1

That try that Tedesco scored was thanks to our new halfback Jack Bird and his bullocking run which drew in 3 defenders and opened up that hole for teddy.

Mr Saab

Referee
I have seen Pearce play worst games. His biggest fail was game 3 in 2013 when NSW were camped in QLD half all 2nd half and they could not score points.

That was the game NSW had a 23 man overlap and Pearce decides to grubber to himself which led to absolutely nothing but a turnover.\

Everyone rambles on about how the NSW forwards did not dominate, but i have seen NSW forward domination with Pearce as 7 with nil result.

Scary part is that there is no one...no one to replace Pearce. Go back to Reynolds? He was very uninspiring in 2016. Cleary is a baby and cant even lead the Panthers to consistent results with a pretty good pack. Seizer? Yeah nah.

age.s

First Grade
Why do people keep calling other out for last night being "100% Pearces fault"? I challenge you to find anyone that thinks that. Hayne, Graham, Woods, Fifita and many others are rightly getting pilloried for shitty efforts over the series. Difference is all of those players have shown they're up to Origin at some stage. People are sick of Pearce because they've seen so damn much of him without ever looking like an Origin level halfback.

How many times have we heard "he wasn't the only problem out there"? Roughly 18? How many times have we heard "thank goodness Pearce had a good game"? He's never the only problem, but hes always A problem.

I have seen Pearce play worst games. His biggest fail was game 3 in 2013 when NSW were camped in QLD half all 2nd half and they could not score points.

That was the game NSW had a 23 man overlap and Pearce decides to grubber to himself which led to absolutely nothing but a turnover.\

Everyone rambles on about how the NSW forwards did not dominate, but i have seen NSW forward domination with Pearce as 7 with nil result.

Scary part is that there is no one...no one to replace Pearce. Go back to Reynolds? He was very uninspiring in 2016. Cleary is a baby and cant even lead the Panthers to consistent results with a pretty good pack. Seizer? Yeah nah.

'It was Robbie's fault'

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I wouldn't have minded if Pearce tried a couple of trick shots on the last tackle, like a chip kick, grubber, or a show and go down the blind spot even if it doesn't work because you're trying something different at Origin.

I know the forwards didn't help his positional kicks but try something different, don't try the same kick, putting it up high and let the winger or fullback take it. It doesn't work when there are no chasers.

Something needs to change.

big hit!

Bench
I wouldn't have minded if Pearce tried a couple of trick shots on the last tackle, like a chip kick, grubber, or a show and go down the blind spot even if it doesn't work because you're trying something different at Origin.

I know the forwards didn't help his positional kicks but try something different, don't try the same kick, putting it up high and let the winger or fullback take it. It doesn't work when there are no chasers.

it has too. but something deep down reckons that he'll once again be the form half in the first 10 weeks of the NRL in 2018, and the coach will think maybe this time, he'll be right.

he's not cut out for the environment. it's surprising how several coaches and selectors cannot see it. perhaps the fact that there hasn't been a consistent ready replacement may be the issue. it's not like we're in the era of mortimer and sterling, or stuart and alexander, or kimmorley (even though he struggled) and johns, where there seemed to be another decent player waiting in the wings.

NSW have a history of putting faith in guys who make wrong decisions in times of pressure. not just on the field but in life in general. greg bird, fifita, ferguson, dugan, pearce, etc. it seems to translate onto the field with either ill-discipline or poor play decisions.

many other sports use character as big determinant as to whether to select players......i reckon psych testing needs to come into rugby league too. if in NSWs position, lots of professional clubs wouldn't select them.

it has too. but something deep down reckons that he'll once again be the form half in the first 10 weeks of the NRL in 2018, and the coach will think maybe this time, he'll be right.

he's not cut out for the environment. it's surprising how several coaches and selectors cannot see it. perhaps the fact that there hasn't been a consistent ready replacement may be the issue. it's not like we're in the era of mortimer and sterling, or stuart and alexander, or kimmorley (even though he struggled) and johns, where there seemed to be another decent player waiting in the wings.

NSW have a history of putting faith in guys who make wrong decisions in times of pressure. not just on the field but in life in general. greg bird, fifita, ferguson, dugan, pearce, etc. it seems to translate onto the field with either ill-discipline or poor play decisions.

many other sports use character as big determinant as to whether to select players......i reckon psych testing needs to come into rugby league too. if in NSWs position, lots of professional clubs wouldn't select them.
There are many home truths in this post. Thank GOD the NSW Blues hierarchy cannot see what is right in front of their face.

big hit!

Bench
Bird ran the ball harder into the line and hit harder in defence than any of our forwards.

People wonder what the problem is with NSW.... well that's one of the big ones.

at the mo, i'd start Bird in the halves next year. guy is a beast and it'd be good to have a strong running player getting the ball regularly. don't know who the other half can be to be honest.

oldmancraigy

Coach
game 2, first half - 16 pts with him on the field. proven stat!

tries were also scored by NSW in game 1 with him on the field. and tries were scored with him on the field in game 2. proven stat!

pearce has had his time and he should be just 1 of about 6 players culled, IMO. but you couldve replaced him with any other eligible half and it wouldve been the same result. maloney wasn't much better either. end of the day, starting forwards didn't aim up, and clowns giving away penalties when NSW were at least mounting some pressure.

but nup, it's 100% pearce's fault

We scored 28 points in game 1.
16 after Pearce got KOd
That leaves 12 beforehand.

I cannot converse with you on finer points (or even broad points) until you grapple with this one.

Danish

Referee

Please name this other tactic that you think should be employed when kicking out of your own 40 under pressure. Then please pass this tactic on to Cooper Cronk, who also did not find grass once from a kick all night.

The most important thing in league is territory. You need to get the game played in the opposition half of the field. When your forwards are incapable or earning that territory with ball in hand, your only option is to boot it down there instead and try to pin them in their own end with defence.

A shorter attacking kick is not going to give you that territory, and has only a small chance of ending positively. And if Pearce had run it on the last from inside our own half he'd have been f**king crucified.

Pearces problem in origin have come in the past when we've actually had a territory advantage but he's failed to deliver e.g. 2013. IMO this is because he does not have a great football brain so can't play on instinct and needs set plays and lines that he is familiar with. This is why is so consistently good at club level but can't make the step up.

Instincts cannot be taught either, so he'll never get better in rep footy and someone else should be given a go.

Who that person is I have no idea, since NSW have not had a half capable of holding form for more than 18 months in quite some time. But either way let someone else become the whipping boy

Latest posts