What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put a fork in Scotland, they're done

The only club of any note in the country folding must be the final nail. If the RLIF was fair dinkum about forcing them to have eight clubs from 2018 to compete in major events that's an even bigger mountain to climb. The WC will probably be the it.

hutch

First Grade
Very unfortunate. I was in Scotland a decade ago and there was a lot of interest in super league in a few of the local pubs near where I stayed. It's so close to rugby league heartlands as well.

If they don't get something up and running they should have their full member status revoked and not allowed to compete in the World Cup.

adamkungl

Immortal
Good. Bring in Serbia. It is the right thing to do. Just do it.

There is no bang for buck in supporting league in Scotland, and possibly Ireland.

Ireland seems to have a decent 2 conference league and regular student games
At least according to their regular facebook updates

But yeah disappointing for Scotland.
How the RFL has completely wiped their hands of funding them I don't understand.
Their website says:

GOVERNING, SUPPORTING AND PROMOTING RUGBY LEAGUE IN THE UK

Yeah don't blame this guy.

images

He's just the rfl boss.

You need to blame this guy

GML1r0ti8MCSDDWh4-UJM5oXjap2I2ML7l4gPenfX4tNhOYTSi6puNuGTLg7PPRIdGqNdjAes9UxqSyPvF6PeSf3Tw5QfZnDYGrgnRONeO56kXJWE0fB6qeVFikNHJNyWf95ew=w495-h297-nc

The RLIF boss.

adamkungl

Immortal
Its not the RFL fault when we have the RLEF & RLIF who's job it actually is to support nations,developing nations etc..

It's literally their mission statement to support the game in the UK.

Are Scotland/Wales/N.ireland in some other UK?

The RLEF/IF don't have an annual club competition to generate income.
Nor should funding club competitions be their main task.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Very unfortunate. I was in Scotland a decade ago and there was a lot of interest in super league in a few of the local pubs near where I stayed. It's so close to rugby league heartlands as well.

Been following these guys for a while and sad to see the club fold... Scottish RL is in deep trouble and it's infuriating to see this all happen so close to the alleged heartland while the game manages to prosper in far flung places around the world.

hutch

First Grade
Its not the RFL fault when we have the RLEF & RLIF who's job it actually is to support nations,developing nations etc..

I find it worrying that you actually think it's not the rfl's job to promote and grow rugby league an hour up the road from the heartlands in the U.K.

taipan

Referee
Seriously how the hell Scotland got a gig in the RLWC in the first place,is beyond me.This confirms my worst fears.
As someone suggested Serbia would suit me fine.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
So I presume if Scotland reach the 2017 RLWC quarter-finals they will now NOT get automatic entry into the 2012 RLWC ???

roughyedspud

Coach
I find it worrying that you actually think it's not the rfl's job to promote and grow rugby league an hour up the road from the heartlands in the U.K.

When it's in a different country yeah....France is 20mile away should we fund them too??

devolution of RL governship in the uk started in 2007 and finally ended when last year when the RFL said it would stop funding Wales and Scotland...the process took nigh on a decade,it wasn't instant...Wales are fine,Ireland look like they've got it together after a shakey start...so why aren't Scotland? Is it about funding or is it about the way RL is being run in Scotland??

if the SRL got their funding from the RFL or if they got it RLIF,RLEF & sportScotland, as they should, what difference what it make??

roughyedspud

Coach
PS...forget what it says about the RFL growing the sport in the UK...they are struggling to manage the heartlands let alone England or the UK!!

Trust me...wales, Scotland & Ireland are better off going it alone!!

Pommy

Coach
So I presume if Scotland reach the 2017 RLWC quarter-finals they will now NOT get automatic entry into the 2012 RLWC ???

I would imagine not no.

I don't know much of the Aberdeen club but was it a truely Scottish beast or was it English people working in the North Sea who just happened to be living in Aberdeen? With the down turn and many lays offs that have hit that field perhaps the players, fans, supporters etc have just moved back home.

The following is a statement from the Scotland Rugby League.

Everyone involved with Scotland Rugby League is very disappointed to hear the news from Aberdeen Warriors Rugby League that the club is folding. Aberdeen Warriors have been a very important part of rugby league in Scotland for many years and everyone involved should be very proud of their achievements and their contribution to the sport.

We believe that given the circumstances in which they find themselves, the decision taken by Aberdeen is a very sensible one.

There is understandable frustration with any sport’s governing body when something like this happens but it should be remembered that SRL has been completely restructured in recent times with a new Board , it has successfully received funding for the a full time Development Officer, who has been in post for just 11 months and this summer has seen Edinburgh Eagles and Carluke Tigers returning to playing competitive matches. SRL has also put in place a financial incentive scheme to support clubs.

We have successfully relaunched our Under 16 programme this summer, have a record number of players at Under 19 Development days and the Students are currently performing wonders in the Student World Cup in Australia. There is a vast amount of work to be done with the club scene in Scotland and the news from Aberdeen is very disappointing and will undoubtedly cause anger in some places but there are also many positive developments in rugby league in Scotland.

Scotland Rugby League should not be running the clubs and it should not be financially supporting them, we should be supporting them to build the right foundations. Difficult though it is, rugby league clubs in Scotland need to be built on solid foundations and this will take time. What has become apparent during this period of rebuilding is that the distance involved in an away match to Aberdeen has been a deterrent for many players and this has caused significant issues for the Warriors. But a governing body cannot make club players travel.

We thank everyone involved with Aberdeen Warriors for all that they have achieved over the years and wish them all the best for the future.

deluded pom?

Coach
"We believe that given the circumstances in which they find themselves, the decision taken by Aberdeen is a very sensible one."

Does anyone know what these circumstances are?

Latest posts