What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

1st & 10

Juniors
I don't think its all the coach.
Last year Raiders had an easy draw, they got a roll on and then their confidence was up. Ricky won coach of the year. This year their draw was harder, they have lost some tight ones now their confidence is shot. Same roster. How much of it was the coach last year and how much is the coach this year?
The coach plays a role of course but he is merely one piece of the puzzle IMO.

I see your point mate

But someone has to be held accountable and given the role of the coach. It is him

So what's happened to Ricky Stuart? Last year he got Daley M coach of the year. This year the fans are calling for his head? Same group of players.
Good point.
Maybe Stuart is just totally overrated.
In my view, opposition coaches have devised tactics to nullify Canberra.
You still see glimpses of 2016 but they are doing nothing different.
Coaching is also about devising game plans to beat your opposition - not doing the same thing every week and hoping that it will work out.
I am very curious to see what tactics McGregor devises against the Raiders.

So Dogs rubbish form this year is Des Haslers fault? Souths form is McGuires fault? Whats happened to those coaches? They have won premierships? Why are they so shit this year?
The answer is YES.
Forget reputations - both the coaches you mention are serving up the same ol' same ol'.
What worked 3 years ago - or even last season, may not be enough in 2017.
Coaching is not a static science.
Good coaches learn from their mistakes, they get better at what they do, they adapt to the competitive environment.
They also offer something which is really subjective - inspiration and leadership.
Bellamy devises game plans depending on who Melbourne are playing against but his players will also walk over broken glass for him.
So look at McGregor's performance in the same context.
What he has served up over the last 8 weeks is a carbon copy of 2016.
In one word...Predictable.

As I said, game plan. The coaches you mention run the same game plan week in week out. Opposition coaches can workout their game plan and play them accordingly. Unfortunately for us McGregor is void of ideas as well.
Smart coaches like Bellamy and Bennett adjust game plans to each team they play, that's why they are continuously successful.
Spot on

1st & 10

Juniors
For Sale. One coach.

Used, however unproven rugby league coach. Excellent references from close mates.... associates such as acclaimed CEO P.Doust (the poor man's Frank Facer)

Paul "waterboy" McGregor

Hopeless/unintelligent coach but brilliant H2O technician and hydration expert.

Poor record of keeping players injury free as trainer, however was selected NSW state of origin water and orange boy

No refund.

The answer is YES.
Forget reputations - both the coaches you mention are serving up the same ol' same ol'.
What worked 3 years ago - or even last season, may not be enough in 2017.
Coaching is not a static science.
Good coaches learn from their mistakes, they get better at what they do, they adapt to the competitive environment.
They also offer something which is really subjective - inspiration and leadership.
Bellamy devises game plans depending on who Melbourne are playing against but his players will also walk over broken glass for him.
So look at McGregor's performance in the same context.
What he has served up over the last 8 weeks is a carbon copy of 2016.
In one word...Predictable.

The modern coach is a man manager, devising mind games to get the most out of his players.
Maguire, Hasler and Robinson in previous years have lost the minds of their players.
Players get used to a coaches mind games and slowly they don't work on them anymore.
Bellamy has the advantage of having Smith, Cronk and Slater in his team and when he sees a player like a Maloney begin to deviate from his plans he moves them on and brings in a young kid to mold into the culture.

Our problem is, while the players seem to love McGregor, he's dumb as a box of rocks.

BennyV

Referee
The modern coach is a man manager, devising mind games to get the most out of his players.
Maguire, Hasler and Robinson in previous years have lost the minds of their players.
Players get used to a coaches mind games and slowly they don't work on them anymore.
Bellamy has the advantage of having Smith, Cronk and Slater in his team and when he sees a player like a Maloney begin to deviate from his plans he moves them on and brings in a young kid to mold into the culture.

Our problem is, while the players seem to love McGregor, he's dumb as a box of rocks.
Man management is part of it. There also needs to be a degree of technical/strategic thinking and the ability to teach/train those strategies to the players. Bellamy and Bennett have a good mix of the two. Some coaches, like Matt Elliott and Jason Taylor, have unparalleled knowledge of the game but struggle to manage a group of men, making them fail as head coaches but shine as assistants (I wonder if Price falls into this category). Guys like Robinson seem to be brilliant man managers but requires strong assistance in order to excel (Taylor, Green, Fitzgibbon etc as assistants).

Mary seems to be well liked, but completely fails in the technical/strategic section. Problem is, he isn't willing to take on help from those who can actually offer it. He even turned to the players for advice this year, which worked wonders for half a season but he has no plan b and fell back into his old ways.

As for the coach vs players thing, I always compare it to a tradie and tools. No matter how good the tradie is, he needs a set of tools to carry out a task. However, the better tradie knows how to get the job done with any set of tools, while a poor tradie will struggle no matter how fancy or expensive a set of tools he has.

Then of course, there are the moron tradies who pick the wrong tools for the wrong task and fall back on old, broken tools that fail him time and time again while completely ignoring the shiny new tools (until some other tradie grabs said new tools and uses them to win a contract). Then they'd get arrested for driving drunk to site. But y'know, they've built a shack out the back of West Wollongong, so the bosses won't get rid of him...

Man management is part of it. There also needs to be a degree of technical/strategic thinking and the ability to teach/train those strategies to the players. Bellamy and Bennett have a good mix of the two. Some coaches, like Matt Elliott and Jason Taylor, have unparalleled knowledge of the game but struggle to manage a group of men, making them fail as head coaches but shine as assistants (I wonder if Price falls into this category). Guys like Robinson seem to be brilliant man managers but requires strong assistance in order to excel (Taylor, Green, Fitzgibbon etc as assistants).

Mary seems to be well liked, but completely fails in the technical/strategic section. Problem is, he isn't willing to take on help from those who can actually offer it. He even turned to the players for advice this year, which worked wonders for half a season but he has no plan b and fell back into his old ways.

As for the coach vs players thing, I always compare it to a tradie and tools. No matter how good the tradie is, he needs a set of tools to carry out a task. However, the better tradie knows how to get the job done with any set of tools, while a poor tradie will struggle no matter how fancy or expensive a set of tools he has.

Then of course, there are the moron tradies who pick the wrong tools for the wrong task and fall back on old, broken tools that fail him time and time again while completely ignoring the shiny new tools (until some other tradie grabs said new tools and uses them to win a contract). Then they'd get arrested for driving drunk to site. But y'know, they've built a shack out the back of West Wollongong, so the bosses won't get rid of him...

Price falls into the category of water boy.

Your proberbly right about Mcgreagor not accepting help though, he had a great technician in JD, who should have been promoted to assistant, but Mary loves the spotlight too much and they punted him.

Price falls into the category of water boy.

Your proberbly right about Mcgreagor not accepting help though, he had a great technician in JD, who should have been promoted to assistant, but Mary loves the spotlight too much and they punted him.
Actually Mary perceived JD as a massive threat for the top job.
That's why he avoided using him which ultimately led to his premature departure.

Bench
With the blues going down again I hear Mary is thinking that if Daley gets the Chop and based on his coaching this year he will be a shoe in for the Blues coach

St Georgio

Juniors
I want Andrew Johns as our next coach coach, the guy was the greatest half back of all time, he burns success, we give people like browny and McGregor a chance, well AJ was way way better than these guys put together!

getsmarty

Immortal
I want Andrew Johns as our next coach coach, the guy was the greatest half back of all time, he burns success, we give people like browny and McGregor a chance, well AJ was way way better than these guys put together!

Johns has already stated that he wouldn't take the job..not interested in being a head coach...That's a direct quote from him on the footy show.

P.S I reckon Fittler will be the next coach for N.S.W

St Georgio

Juniors
Johns has already stated that he wouldn't take the job..not interested in being a head coach...That's a direct quote from him on the footy show.

I meant we should give him a go at the Dragons not NSW, at least we should sign him as spine coach or as an assistant to McGregor, surely to have someone like Andrew John helping out McInness, Hunt, Widdop and our next fullback could only be a huge positive!

blacksafake

First Grade

Agree,I reckon Fittler would be good at it too.

getsmarty

Immortal
I meant we should give him a go at the Dragons not NSW, at least we should sign him as spine coach or as an assistant to McGregor, surely to have someone like Andrew John helping out McInness, Hunt, Widdop and our next fullback could only be a huge positive!

Doubt he would want to come here but would be an asset.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
For Sale. One coach.

Used, however unproven rugby league coach. Excellent references from close mates.... associates such as acclaimed CEO P.Doust (the poor man's Frank Facer)

Paul "waterboy" McGregor

Hopeless/unintelligent coach but brilliant H2O technician and hydration expert.

Poor record of keeping players injury free as trainer, however was selected NSW state of origin water and orange boy

No refund.

News Update !!!!!!

For Hire.
One slightly soiled coach.
Has friends in high places.
Answers to the nane of Loz .
Will consider another 'friend of a friend' placement.
Looking for easy 3 year gig.
Can train current staff to carry water.
Will suck up to CEO if required.
Can at least look the part.
Please phone 1800LOZZA

Gareth67

First Grade
Their coaching is so similar , that I was just wondering , if Loz loaned his toupee to Mary , would they look like twins ? The possibilities would be endless - Mary new SOO coach , Loz new Dragon coach or assistant to one another . . . :innocent:

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Their coaching is so similar , that I was just wondering , if Loz loaned his toupee to Mary , if they would look like twins ? The possibilities would be endless - Mary new SOO coach , Loz new Dragon coach or assistant to one another . . . :innocent:
Exactly
You could swap the jerseys & you wouldn't know the difference. God I feel sorry for Friz, being coached by B1 & B2 & being used as a battering ram. He must look forward to playing for Aust so he can be coached by Mal.

Latest posts