What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Open Letter To Peter Doust CEO Of Saint George Illawarra Rugby League Club.

1st & 10

Juniors
We need someone like Raper to openly support a change.
Someone who genuinely has the club at heart and has no personal agenda or benefit.
That could give the movement some real momentum and attract plenty of media exposure and public support.

The 1993 side are on fox playing a raiders team with more talent than johnny Young.

Get the board to watch that 1993 and 1996 red v teams. Minimal talent on paper, but heart and smarts. We miss you Scotty Campbell (best trainer ever had)

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I admire the passion demonstrated here to follow your convictions, but at the end of the day, without the advocacy of someone with gravitas (such as a John Raper), your objectives are bound to fail.

The current situation isn't dissimilar to the one I'm facing with the Sydney Cricket Groind and Sportd Groind Teust. Despite being a Foundation Gold Member since 1988, the Trust simply doesn't give a toss that annual subscription rates continually despite the absence of premium footballing fixtures at Allianz Stadium.

"Value for money" is a foreign concept as far as it is concerned.

Now, I could 'rock up' one day to the SCGSGT offices in order to air my justified grievances, however without the support of an individual with substance, I may as well stay home.

possm

Coach
The NRL are patiently watching the fall of St George as they did the fall of so many other Clubs in the past. Once St George is re-located to the Gong, the NRL will tick the box for one Sydney Club less in the NRL competition and establish one Brisbane Club in it's place however, the big gain will be for the likes of the Sharks, Dogs, Roosters and Souths who will all share in the spoils - our junior clubs north of the Gong.

I am convinced that Doust and the Board are aware of the above and complicit in seeing this unfold. The only way to save our Saints would be to find a buyer who would be willing to improve both the St George Leagues Club and the Illawarra Leagues Club to the financial success enjoyed by the Broncos, Roosters, Souths and Dogs. This buyer would have to have deep pockets and a deep love for our St George Illawarra Dragons. This new owner would also need to have the fortitude to completely clean out the decision makers currently employed by the Club and in their place, hire professional people and elected board members with the skills and experience necessary to lift up our Club to the top of the tree; our rightful place in the NRL.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Yeah sad isn't it.
I am going hell for leather so if anyone has any emails for journalists, ex players and any other form of contact let me know and I will drive this forward,
Does anyone have the 10 in the bin contacts from the sunday footy show?
I have had no reply from doust and don't expect any.
This is far from finished.
Go the Dragons in Canberra.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Yeah sad isn't it.
I am going hell for leather so if anyone has any emails for journalists, ex players and any other form of contact let me know and I will drive this forward,
Does anyone have the 10 in the bin contacts from the sunday footy show?
I have had no reply from doust and don't expect any.
This is far from finished.
Go the Dragons in Canberra.
While I am on it can someone post the pdf into the JV Forums.
Also it seems over 1000 have viewed this so even if 500 post this on, eventually we can crack this egg Doust.

Finally a message to objective who continuously bemoans the state of the Dragons pick up the pdf and hammer away!

Attachments

• An Open Letter To Peter Doust CEO Of Saint George Illawarra Rugby League Team.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 10

Gareth67

First Grade
The NRL are patiently watching the fall of St George as they did the fall of so many other Clubs in the past. Once St George is re-located to the Gong, the NRL will tick the box for one Sydney Club less in the NRL competition and establish one Brisbane Club in it's place however, the big gain will be for the likes of the Sharks, Dogs, Roosters and Souths who will all share in the spoils - our junior clubs north of the Gong.

I am convinced that Doust and the Board are aware of the above and complicit in seeing this unfold. The only way to save our Saints would be to find a buyer who would be willing to improve both the St George Leagues Club and the Illawarra Leagues Club to the financial success enjoyed by the Broncos, Roosters, Souths and Dogs. This buyer would have to have deep pockets and a deep love for our St George Illawarra Dragons. This new owner would also need to have the fortitude to completely clean out the decision makers currently employed by the Club and in their place, hire professional people and elected board members with the skills and experience necessary to lift up our Club to the top of the tree; our rightful place in the NRL.

Possum , most unfortunately , I myself have had similar thoughts for quite some time now . I have so often attempted to find excuses for the current Joint Ventures board's inability to run the Dragons as successfully as other clubs do . There have been a number of clubs quite recently , that have had serious problems . Parramatta , Gold Coast , West Tigers each of whom have dragged themselves from the mud and are streets ahead of our club .

The Eels have picked themselves up from last year salary-cap scandal as did the Titans and West Tigers shall be in a far better position next year then they are at present .

Our board seems to be totally incapable of making sound financial decisions , hence our clubs present position . It is almost diabolical , one could say criminal , to run not one , but 2 proud clubs ,into the ground as this mob have done .
I could say more on this particular issue , but to be honest , it just makes me so bluudy angry to even think about it .

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors

Both the Leagues clubs show a profit, not as big as it should be but still about $3million combined. Our problem is not money, there is a substantial untapped surplus in the balance sheets, its purely poor management.

It is difficult to get transparency of the financial situation of the football club as opposed to the Leagues clubs and as it is surviving on a grant from the Leagues club of only $500,000 and falling each year, this is where the money problem seems to be.

My fear is that the plan is a Southern Sydney team St George/Cronulla/Illawarra areas. That is essentially Cronulla because their financial future looks good and own their own ground will become then Southern Sydney team. St George will be relocated because of the strong brand recognition and geographically spread fan base.

An owner is not necessarily the answer, the answer in my opinion is utilise the surplus in the balance sheet and generate sustainable income from it eg the Sharks have done this in effect. Overhaul the governance of the club and make the Board and management accountable including transparency to any dealings affecting the future of the club that have been agreed to and/or being considered.

How can this be achieved, I'll be honest I don't know.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Possum , most unfortunately , I myself have had similar thoughts for quite some time now . I have so often attempted to find excuses for the current Joint Ventures board inability to run the Dragons as successfully as other clubs do . There have been a number of clubs quite recently , that have had serious problems . Parramatta , Gold Coast , West Tigers each of whom have dragged themselves from the mud and are streets ahead of our club .

The Eels have picked themselves up from last year salary-cap scandal as did the Titans and West Tigers shall be in a far better position next year then they are at present .

Our board seems to be totally incapable of making sound financial decisions , hence our clubs present position . It is almost diabolical , one could say criminal to run not one , but 2 proud clubs into the ground as this mob have done .
I could say more on this particular issue , but to be honest , it just makes me so bluudy angry to even think about it .

Share your frustration mate. What really, really hurts, is that our nemesis across the bridge were on the scrap heap just a short couple of years ago with controversy after controversy, drug scandals, sponsors running in the opposite direction faster than Usain Bolt and having to raid the petty cash tin just to buy some Dencorub for the players. Now they are the Premiers, a real chance of going back to back and to top it off, our most consistent performer over the last few years will be wearing their filthy rag next year. Don't know where this ship is headed, but if we don't get ourselves a new captain soon and start plotting a new course for tranquil waters, we're going to run aground eventually and just decay into a relic. It's just so sad to watch it happen in front of your eyes and be absolutely powerless to do anything about it.

1st & 10

Juniors
Sign Jarod Croker. I don't care what the raiders have on him. Croker is a perfect saints old school type player. Reminds me of a goal kicking Mark Coyne

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Shane Richardson would be extremely jealous about the comments made re the doustmeister in this noble thread.

You can have our coach any day you want him.

See, things aren't that bad!!

inside_pass

Bench

If the club is relocated to Wollongong it will die a slow death!

1st & 10

Juniors

And that would be another knife in the NRL. No red v at Kogarah ? That's like a brothel without condoms

1st & 10

Juniors
Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew says,
“A little I’m hurt, but yet not slain;
I’ll but lie down and bleed awhile,
And then I’ll rise and fight again.
Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew says,
“And never flinch before the foe;
And stand fast by St. Andrew’s cross,
Until you hear my whistle blow.”

Latest posts