What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blocking

TheDalek079

Bench
One major irritant of the NRL these days are the kick chase blockers. Everyone knows its deliberate but none of the refs have the balls to rule on it. So it was great to see last night, the Warriors left side defense all move into blocking positions but none of them contesting, allowing the Panthers an easy try. Karma!

mave

Coach
They will have a crackdown on blocking and also the play of the balls, probably a few weeks out from finals, then forget all about it once the finals start again.

Spot On

Coach
Just another part of the game that needs clarification. Either they do away with blockers completely or it's a free for all. Make a f**king decision. Maybe teams need to get a little more inventive with their last tackle options if their chasers are being constantly "blocked" instead of just putting up the same kick???? As we saw in Origin 2 it is now acceptable to take a chaser out by tackling him.

Surely the NRL can get off it's arse and do something either way. And yes, while they are at it they could also clarify if playing the ball with your foot is actually part of the rules in RL anymore or have we just gone full touch footy??? Just make a decision either way and stick to it.

The quicker Cam Smith is put in charge of the whole game the better.

T-Boon

Coach
Blocking is fine. There is too much bombing and long kicking down throat (LKDT).
To reduce bombing and especially that bombing from half way designed to pin the catcher on his 10 metre line (LKDT) we need to introduce a rule where if the ball is caught on the full you get to play an advantage like the free play in Super League.

Card Shark

Immortal
So it was great to see last night, the Warriors left side defense all move into blocking positions but none of them contesting, allowing the Panthers an easy try. Karma!

I seriously wonder have players from the likes of the warriors, Raiders & dragons every played rugby league...they did some fundamental errors last night.

How do their coaches not blow up in the box (or sideline in Ricky's case) at such ineptitude!

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Blocking is fine. There is too much bombing and long kicking down throat (LKDT).
To reduce bombing and especially that bombing from half way designed to pin the catcher on his 10 metre line (LKDT) we need to introduce a rule where if the ball is caught on the full you get to play an advantage like the free play in Super League.

Blocking is fine if the defending player has held position before the attacker gets there.

Its this bullshit mess that we have now that is unacceptable.

Blokes are just plain and simple being taken out. Its not even subtle anymore because they know they can get away with it.

Agree 100% with OP. Clean the shit up and fast.

thorson1987

Coach
Surely the NRL can get off it's arse and do something either way. And yes, while they are at it they could also clarify if playing the ball with your foot is actually part of the rules in RL anymore or have we just gone full touch footy???

Speaking of this, my sons U/8's team that I coach actually got a penalty today for this. The other team just rolled the ball without making any effort to play it correctly.

I was shocked.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
But they don't seem to want to clean anything up Beaver.

Useless, overpaid, lazy, inept????

Sounds like the NSW team and hierarchy.

Mate they don't because the idiots in charge of both the NRL and the refs themselves are a joke.

It is such a blight on the game ATM.

simmo05

Bench
I would love to see a blocker just get f**king pole axed. Take them out of the game, might make them a bit wary next time. Players need to start taking matters in their own hands, then the nrl will act because of the bad press

OVP

Coach

If you ever wanted to know if something was shit, ask this clown and remove all doubt.

Blocking is a blight on the game. I made a post about this 2 years ago, and nothing at all has been done by the NRL. But what else do you expect from Toddles Greenberg Esq. A total pot plant in every sense of the word.

Jason Maher

Immortal
As a butt hurt Panthers fan the rule is a joke. Cost us the Cows game because they picked that game to penalise one after the ridiculous calls in origin 2

I bet you were more pleased with the random incorrect play the ball penalty they finally decided to call...

OldPanther

Coach
I would love to see a blocker just get f**king pole axed. Take them out of the game, might make them a bit wary next time. Players need to start taking matters in their own hands, then the nrl will act because of the bad press

It's a penalty if you do something to a blocker. It's been called this year once or twice.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
When it comes to rules in sports, people always forget the broader impact a changes. Personally, I think blockers are great and players jut havent seemed to figure out what to do...

If we get rid of blockers, attacking would just become a bomb-fest. The blockers make it difficult for the attacking teams to benifit from bombs so they are forced to do other things (hang on to the ball, precice cross field kicks, etc).

These rules dont occur in isolation, they have wider behavioural impacts. You need to consider the change in playing style more than the individual plays....

T-Boon

Coach
Mate they don't because the idiots in charge of both the NRL and the refs themselves are a joke.

It is such a blight on the game ATM.

Don't blame the refs and NRL. As per usual this is the fault of the NRL coaches and the rules. They coach to bomb and they coach to block.

Latest posts