What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blocking

Danish

Referee
I would love to see a blocker just get f**king pole axed. Take them out of the game, might make them a bit wary next time. Players need to start taking matters in their own hands, then the nrl will act because of the bad press

Yep, that would be my instruction as a coach.

Next time cooper cronk or Smith try to "accidentally" turn their back to block you, just drop the should right between the merkins shoulder blades and wreck his life. Maybe "trip" and get him in the kidneys.

Blockers leave themselves in such a vulnerable position to make it look not deliberate, so take advantage.

POPEYE

Coach
It's a penalty if you do something to a blocker. It's been called this year once or twice.
No reason an attacking player can't drop a shoulder into a defender, where would Lillyman be if he couldn't lead with an elbow when he's carrying the ball . . . so why not turn sideways into a blocker if you're attacking the ball

But seriously, all blockers have to do is get into position quickly and be motionless when the chaser gets to them, motion is all that can be penalised . . . in saying that there are many players not smart enough to pull it off

Billythekid

First Grade
When it comes to rules in sports, people always forget the broader impact a changes. Personally, I think blockers are great and players jut havent seemed to figure out what to do...

If we get rid of blockers, attacking would just become a bomb-fest. The blockers make it difficult for the attacking teams to benifit from bombs so they are forced to do other things (hang on to the ball, precice cross field kicks, etc).

These rules dont occur in isolation, they have wider behavioural impacts. You need to consider the change in playing style more than the individual plays....

This is my stance. I'm not a fan of blockers but I think they negate a bigger issue. Bombs and kicking to the wingers is already incredibly effective even with blockers. If you reduce the ability for teams to use blockers than bombs will be too effective and it leads to boring styles of attack.

That plus it helps prevent one of the biggest blights in the game which is defenders being taken out when catching a high ball. You just have one of the attackers come through and 'contest' the ball and either take out the defending player or just make it impossible to actually catch the ball. Anything to reduce this shitty tactic is ok in my book.

T-Boon

Coach
And the NRL and refs decide to let it go or eradicate it.

Wake up.

You need to grow up.
The clubs and in particular the coaches outrank the NRL and the refs in terms of power and decision making. It has been this way for years now. Look at wrestling and decoy running/blocking, dummy half forward passes. The coaches insist on these being part of the game and so the NRL and refs have no answers to try to get rid of it.

T-Boon

Coach
This is my stance. I'm not a fan of blockers but I think they negate a bigger issue. Bombs and kicking to the wingers is already incredibly effective even with blockers. If you reduce the ability for teams to use blockers than bombs will be too effective and it leads to boring styles of attack.

That plus it helps prevent one of the biggest blights in the game which is defenders being taken out when catching a high ball. You just have one of the attackers come through and 'contest' the ball and either take out the defending player or just make it impossible to actually catch the ball. Anything to reduce this shitty tactic is ok in my book.

Agreed. Maybe the rule should be it is legal to block while the ball is in the air until it is either caught or on the ground.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
You need to grow up.
The clubs and in particular the coaches outrank the NRL and the refs in terms of power and decision making. It has been this way for years now. Look at wrestling and decoy running/blocking, dummy half forward passes. The coaches insist on these being part of the game and so the NRL and refs have no answers to try to get rid of it.

Smoking crack on a Sunday morning is not good for your health, mmmmmkay.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Yep, that would be my instruction as a coach.

Next time cooper cronk or Smith try to "accidentally" turn their back to block you, just drop the should right between the merkins shoulder blades and wreck his life. Maybe "trip" and get him in the kidneys.

Blockers leave themselves in such a vulnerable position to make it look not deliberate, so take advantage.

Cool

Next time easts play if they use blockers I'm sure you'll be up cheering if one of your own has their life wrecked as a result of "accidental" contact between the shoulders and or kidneys

Latest posts