What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

raiders game

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I actually thought it was a good game. Sure, there were a few dropped balls but both teams showed up to play. It was just the wrong result for us.

At one point we were down to a one man bench, so at that stage of the game it was a gusty effort. It was always going to be a tough gig, and we came so close to winning.

On the positive side:
We saw a big improvement in the goal line defence.
Ironside at first receiver actually worked at times.
If I am reading correctly, McInnes made over 70 tackles.
The forwards stepped up despite being down a man (Packer).

On the negative side:
We again failed to score a try in the second half, and relinquished a half time lead.
Looks like we might have a couple of injuries.

Plus the word must have got out that people paid money to see a referee blow his whistle. Some of the penalties were petty.

In any case, it was a big improvement on previous weeks. If the team keeps showing up like that, we will win more than we lose coming into the final rounds. Unfortunately, consistency hasn't been a coaching feature for some years now, so I might have to be realist on that front.

getsmarty

Immortal
I actually thought it was a good game. Sure, there were a few dropped balls but both teams showed up to play. It was just the wrong result for us.

At one point we were down to a one man bench, so at that stage of the game it was a gusty effort. It was always going to be a tough gig, and we came so close to winning.

On the positive side:

On the negative side:
We again failed to score a try in the second half, and relinquished a half time lead.

Plus the word must have got out that people paid money to see a referee blow his whistle. Some of the penalties were petty.

In any case, it was a big improvement on previous weeks. If the team keeps showing up like that, we will win more than we lose coming into the final rounds. Unfortunately, consistency hasn't been a coaching feature for some years now, so I might have to be realist on that front.

With all due respect we were playing a Canberra side that have been well and truly out of Form. Yes it was an improvement but the game was there for the taking and once again we lack the killer punch or tactics to win the close games and the teams that are contenders win the close ones.
.If we play like that against say Broncos or Manly they will win easily.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With all due respect we were playing a Canberra side that have been well and truly out of Form. Yes it was an improvement but the game was there for the taking and once again we lack the killer punch or tactics to win the close games and the teams that are contenders win the close ones.
.If we play like that against say Broncos or Manly they will win easily.
And Saints have been well and truly out of form in recent weeks.

On the night, both teams stepped up. I'm willing to give some credit to the opposition.

getsmarty

Immortal

On the night, both teams stepped up. I'm willing to give some credit to the opposition.

I did say we had improved. Canberra on their day can pile on points. We never seem to be able to win the tight games. When was the last time we won a golden point game ? I guess the level of improvement for us will be evident against Manly next week. No doubt the players tried hard but the good teams win these type of games consistently.

We have now won 3 from our last 10 games. That is a worrying stat. We need to improve in order to make the 8 but I am of the opinion that we will only be making up the numbers if we do indeed make the 8.
Happy for the boys to prove me wrong.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I heard on Channel 9 that Masoe will be leaving for Super League very soon.
This will be the third player that we have released this year the others being Lewis and Nona. This has been sanctioned even though we have Aitken, Dodd, Glymin, Havili, Hutchison and others such as Jurd out injured. No wonder the NRL side is floundering and the NSW Cup side is a shambles. Very
bad Club Management.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Must admit re Manns play the ball when a player is heavily concussed and plays the ball not facing properly it shouldnt incur a penalty surely the refs can show some leniency in that area and make them replay it or someone else takes the ball....they can make a player go back and make him play it where they called held or a player runs the ball back from the in goal area takes a quick tap and get called back to re do it if theres players from his own side in front of him....

Agree, the bloke was concussed.

Add allowing a player to play the ball again after walking of the mark or passing after being held.

possm

Coach

Ill discipline and a cavalier attitude towards errors have been the main problem over the last few games. Yes, our forwards are busted and burnt out from the great load carried in earlier rounds under the 'power plan' style. However, there is absolutely no excuse the the amount of dropped ball, wayward passes and ill-disciplined behaviour. Widdop pass intercepted by Seizer was the straw that broke the camels back and the inability to set up for a field goal properly was beyond belief.

We just don't need a cleanout, we also need a new captain who can inspire our Dragons to greater things. We need a captain who can make good on-field decisions and have a good read on where the play should be heading.

possm

Coach
This will be the third player that we have released this year the others being Lewis and Nona. This has been sanctioned even though we have Aitken, Dodd, Glymin, Havili, Hutchison and others such as Jurd out injured. No wonder the NRL side is floundering and the NSW Cup side is a shambles. Very
bad Club Management.
Maybe now we will fit under the 2017 cap and be in shape to fit under the 2018 cap.

It's a mess, a MILLWARD MESS!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
With regards to McInnes again hes topped the tackle count (73 I think)....I was banging on about this a few weeks ago know wonder hes stuffed and that's why he makes very little impact with running the ball from dummy half... Cameron Smith controls the ruck area because he does bugger all defensive work...well if he does he does the soft option and is usually 3rd man in and that's just to tangle himself and slow down the play the ball...whereas poor McInnes hes usual first one in and takes the big men on front on......our coach needs to look at this problem and fix it...well that is if hes capable....Mmmm

bad Club Management.
Masoe has done sfa since he has been back and was told he isn't wanted next year so letting him go now makes no difference as he was never going to see first grade anyway.

Lewis and Nona had no future at the club and wanted to sort out their futures early plus Nona is injured and wasn't available anyway.

Illawarra was always going to struggle this year and to make matters worse players signed to them have basically said thanks but no thanks and decided not to line up for them due to work commitments and basically never getting a run.

Drag Queen

Bench
Guess we'll have to wait till the pre-season. If we go the way of the Knights we'll play some youngsters. Not sure our lot will live up to expectations. Reserves are now 9th on the ladder. We don't have a prominent fullback but a capable halves combo and an adequate hooker. If Dufty is the option, throw him in now and put Duges in centre. We'll find out soon enough.

Its simple why Illawarra are ninth and its not just one reason it's several.

They have played quite a few players who are in their first year out of the under 20's so that is a contributing factor.

The amount of players injured who would have been main stays in that team ie Dodd and Havili plus others coming back from long term injuries Masoe and Mathews who really haven't added anything hasn't helped.

The continued swapping of halves Nona, Field, Payne, A Clune, S Clune and Herbert due to injuries and players moving between grades also a factor.

Every week players who are named with first grade who are never going to be used most times are unable to drop back and don't even get to play that weekend which is f**king ridiculous.

Wakeman, Sironen and Coster moving on who where very important players to that squad last year.

Mtahew Head has found out how hard it is to coach at a more senior level some of his selections and his game structure is seriously poor and imo he should not be coach of that squad next year.

Drag Queen

Bench
stop watching it then you dopey wanker.[/
Its simple why Illawarra are ninth and its not just one reason it's several.

They have played quite a few players who are in their first year out of the under 20's so that is a contributing factor.

The amount of players injured who would have been main stays in that team ie Dodd and Havili plus others coming back from long term injuries Masoe and Mathews who really haven't added anything hasn't helped.

The continued swapping of halves Nona, Field, Payne, A Clune, S Clune and Herbert due to injuries and players moving between grades also a factor.

Every week players who are named with first grade who are never going to be used most times are unable to drop back and don't even get to play that weekend which is f**king ridiculous.

Wakeman, Sironen and Coster moving on who where very important players to that squad last year.

Mtahew Head has found out how hard it is to coach at a more senior level some of his selections and his game structure is seriously poor and imo he should not be coach of that squad next year.
You forgot to mention Hutchison. Dodd, Quinlan, Wakeman who made the winning team. Have I left anyone out? You forgot to add that Matthews who has more tackles to his name than Leilua.

You forgot to mention Hutchison. Dodd, Quinlan, Wakeman who made the winning team. Have I left anyone out? You forgot to add that Matthews who has more tackles to his name than Leilua.
I know exactly who was in that team.

Lots of players moved on aswell as the coach so this year was always going to be a bit of a let down hell even Mounties haven't been that great.

since77

Juniors

On the positive side:

On the negative side:

In the game I watched, we lost due to poor game management and lack of football smarts.
True, It didn't help that most of the first half penalties were dud calls but geez we're a dumb team.