What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a knock on?

souths_reborn

Juniors
Has anybody else noticed that referees seem to have this arbitrary interpretation of what a knock is? I cannot believe the number of times I have seem balls that have easily gone backwards pulled back for a knock on. My understanding is that a knock on constitutes the ball being spilled or knocked towards or in line with the opposition goal line.

Joeboy

Juniors
The worst interpretation of knock ons is the one where the defending team is stung with a restarted tackle count for touching a pass in the act of tackling. It's not 6 again or any advantage if the defending team did not play at it. And if they are all deemed knock ons, then james Roberts on the weekend has to be too.

Incorrect

Coach
When I started watching league in the 80's, everything was a knock on, if the ball hit the deck, it was a knock and a scrum without fail... Then in the late 90's I reckon or start of the 21st century, the knock back call came in to vogue, refs showed some discretion and common sense.... Seems to be falling back to the 80's officiating mentality these days...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't drop it and ref doesn't have to make a judgement call on the run if it went forward or backward! Instead of blaming the refs maybe we should be asking why players earning hundreds of thousands of $'s can't catch a ball?

Johns Magic

Referee
Don't drop it and ref doesn't have to make a judgement call on the run if it went forward or backward! Instead of blaming the refs maybe we should be asking why players earning hundreds of thousands of $'s can't catch a ball?

So you agree with balls that clearly go back half a metre being called knock-on?

T-Boon

Coach
Get rid of the knock on. If the attacking team drops the ball in any direction they should be allowed to recover it at the cost of a tackle but not allowed to make any forward progress. Just fall on it into a voluntary tackle.

POPEYE

Coach
Just call every mishandle that touches the ground a dropped ball and be done with it. The really bad part is when referees guess whose fault it was the ball goes loose, if they're not sure it should be pick it up and play on . . . there doesn't always have to be a culprit

Shorty

Staff member
Just call every mishandle that touches the ground a dropped ball and be done with it. The really bad part is when referees guess whose fault it was the ball goes loose, if they're not sure it should be pick it up and play on . . . there doesn't always have to be a culprit
Yep agreed, it's an error most of the time so should be treated as that.

One of many questions I ask myself after every NRL game I watch nowadays. Some of the others?

What is an obstruction?

What is a blocker?

What constitutes a penalty in the play the ball?

What is a forward pass?

What is a shoulder charge?

How long can you hold a tackled player down for?

How far is 10 metres?

What constitutes a sin binable offense?

What do you need to do to be sent off?

The interpretation on everything I've asked above seems to vary widely, every game, every week?

mave

Coach
Get rid of the knock on. If the attacking team drops the ball in any direction they should be allowed to recover it at the cost of a tackle but not allowed to make any forward progress. Just fall on it into a voluntary tackle.

Your sht ideas sound more like AFL everyday.

POPEYE

Coach
One of many questions I ask myself after every NRL game I watch nowadays. Some of the others?

What is an obstruction?

What is a blocker?

What is a forward pass?

How far is 10 metres?

The interpretation on everything I've asked above seems to vary widely, every game, every week?
In Origin the answer to each of your questions has an addendum - Does the infringement really create enough of a disadvantage to warrant a stoppage?

In NRL each of your questions is representative of an opportunity for referees to big-note themselves . . . a search and destroy mission

ed-grimley

Bench

What is an obstruction?

What is a blocker?

What is a forward pass?

How far is 10 metres?

Post of the year!!!!

Simo

First Grade
When I started watching league in the 80's, everything was a knock on, if the ball hit the deck, it was a knock and a scrum without fail... Then in the late 90's I reckon or start of the 21st century, the knock back call came in to vogue, refs showed some discretion and common sense.... Seems to be falling back to the 80's officiating mentality these days...

This was a change from super league, I clearly remember discussion and the change for the reason you state everything was being called a knock on.

To be fair to the refs it doesnt matter what they do in the era of 24hr social media and multiple camera angles of every play it doesnt matter what they call someone will whinge, they are in an unwinnable situation on discretion calls.

T-Boon

Coach
The worst interpretation of knock ons is the one where the defending team is stung with a restarted tackle count for touching a pass in the act of tackling.

In that instance it should be a scrum with the feed going against the defending team but the tackle count should not restart. I don't think the tackle count should ever restart from a defender touching the ball.

Post of the year!!!!

Honestly though... I've never seen a group of people with the ability to take a rule that is black and white and turn it grey like NRL officials do.

Even the 10 metre rule... Something which is just ridiculously obvious, they have lines painted on the field to assist ffs, yet you can have two officials in the one game that have a different interpretation of what is 10 metres.

The rule was that you need to be behind the ref when the ball is played. Somehow that has grafted into some part of you needs to be behind the ref when the ball is played and even still, some refs actually just stand behind the defensive line. One of the touch judges is supposed to help police the 10 metres and yet they still can't get it right. Now if that isn't confusing enough... If a game goes to extra time then the rule basically becomes non existent and no one is called for offside. It's a bloody joke. The 10 metres should be the most black and white rule in the game and it should be the easiest to police and yet the NRL manages to make a mockery of it in just about every game.

Then we get to the other stuff that I mentioned in my original post and most of those things aren't so black and white to begin with... The ruck, the play the ball, scrums... Basically all just a lucky dip.