What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd like to think so too, but they have a prick of a travelling schedule and the last time they played in the Queensland heat the european lads melted and they got belted by Tonga.

The surplus of tropics games was really a merkin of a move by the organisers.
European teams will be up against it.

Burns

First Grade
Barlow Park (Cairns ground) is on the telly now for the Bunnies v Cowboys. It looks like a sell out.

It does look 'amatuerish', but if they can pack out the 3 World Cup pools games, it'll be a good look.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Barlow Park (Cairns ground) is on the telly now for the Bunnies v Cowboys. It looks like a sell out.

It does look 'amatuerish', but if they can pack out the 3 World Cup pools games, it'll be a good look.
The crowd today was 11,700-odd, from memory.

Billythekid

First Grade
The crowd today was 11,700-odd, from memory.

Therein lies the problem. Even if the games sellout they'll still be small crowds and it will still look amateurish. It wouldn't be so bad if they were all pool matches but it shouldn't be getting one of the biggest drawing games of the tournament.

Whilst I'm personally excited for the tournament I'm not very confident about its prospects for success.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Therein lies the problem. Even if the games sellout they'll still be small crowds and it will still look amateurish. It wouldn't be so bad if they were all pool matches but it shouldn't be getting one of the biggest drawing games of the tournament.

Whilst I'm personally excited for the tournament I'm not very confident about its prospects for success.

Yes, but the important thing above all else is that the tournament makes a decent profit … if it means small crowds in smallish venues for some pool games, so be it.

deal.with.it

Juniors
So if the regional/small venue matches (cairns, townsville, darwin, canberra) draw 5-15k in "amateurish" stadiums, but the total world cup breaks attendance records and the rlif records it's highest profits (5M+), are all you lot still gonna complain? Typical RL fans. Qld, NT, and ACT governments want to pay big $$ for matches, and we're meant to say no? US! RUGBY f**kING LEAGUE!! The sport that has been f**ked over for ever!!! We now have government wanting us! f**k me dead. Whinge and complain. For ever a rugby league fans prerogative.

Billythekid

First Grade
So if the regional/small venue matches (cairns, townsville, darwin, canberra) draw 5-15k in "amateurish" stadiums, but the total world cup breaks attendance records and the rlif records it's highest profits (5M+), are all you lot still gonna complain? Typical RL fans. Qld, NT, and ACT governments want to pay big $$ for matches, and we're meant to say no? US! RUGBY f**kING LEAGUE!! The sport that has been f**ked over for ever!!! We now have government wanting us! f**k me dead. Whinge and complain. For ever a rugby league fans prerogative.

Obviously if the World Cup breaks attendance records and brings in a massive profit then the World Cup will be a success. I'll be happy to say so myself.

I still think that long term the look of being successful matters. International rugby league is still seen as second rate competition and I want to see that mindset changed. Seeing big crowds in big stadiums is a good way to help make that happen.

I'm not against using smaller grounds for some games, especially group games. I'm not so sure about double and triple headers. My main concern is the big matches being played in small venues. Australia playing a QF in Darwin for example is a missed opportunity (maybe I'm remembering that wrong).

Hopefully every game sells out, rates well on TV and the tournament is a huge success (with someone other than Australia prevailing!). I love international league and want to see it succeed.

Burns

First Grade
Im a volunteer too! I'll be at the two Sydney games.

Just had a quick check of the available tickets on Ticketmaster for the Australian games, particularly the matches featuring Australia.

The Good - The lower Eastern side of AAMI Park appears to be sold out, as it isn't available. The Upper Western side hasn't been out on sale yet however.

The Also Good - The Final now has most Bays for sale, with strong sales for the Lower East/West stands.

The Concerning - The SFS match for Aus v Lebanon has moved maybe, 1000 tickets? Huge swathes are available, with oddly only one designated Lebanese supporter bay. The Sydney games success hinges on a large contingent of Lebanese supporters coming out to make a bit of a party atmosphere. As given the track record for Sydney, I can't really see die hard Australia supporters coming to watch a game against a minnow.

This all applies to the Lebanon game against England too I suppose.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I am really concerned about the NZ crowds for this tournament. Rugby League is at the worst level I have ever seen in this country. Kiwis are a basket case and have little to no chance winning the RLWC and the Warriors continued under performing is really damaging the code here.

There has been a little promotion for the RLWC but I am not hopeful of decent turn outs..

Billythekid

First Grade
Mmmm … getting there … a big push would hopefully get a sellout.

Wonder if that includes tour groups??

Ticket sales will remain sluggish across the board until after the NRL season finishes IMO. Hopefully there will be a significant marketing push during the finals and following the GF to remind people that there is still more rugby league o come after.