What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW going forward

Nightward

Juniors

Speaking as a Queenslander, if NSW want to get rid of Cordner I welcome it. He lead, or tried to lead, from the front by playing hard, no-nonsense, disciplined footy. If NSW want a leader who instead models laziness and brain snaps (ie, is in the Gallen mold) it may win them games but won't win series.

If the rest of the team had followed his lead in game two, game three this year would have been a dead rubber. If they had followed his lead in game three, they would have snapped the Queensland winning streak.

That the blowtorch is being applied to Cordner rather than Hayne, Fifita, and Woods is mystifying.

@MKCS: Roberts definitely has potential for NSW but I suspect he might need to be confined to the wing, Gagai-style. He makes some great offensive plays but also displays ill-discipline by coming in off his wing and creating a gap that can be exploited. At club level he can generally reach into his wizard's hat and pull out a try or two to counter that, but at rep level he would be a liability. He is getting better but I think Queensland would have a field day with him at the moment if he played centre.

Nightward

Juniors
Yes, but I believe he did a fine job as captain. One of the problems NSW have is that certain players have too much ego and won't do what's right for the team in the heat of the moment. If they'd instead followed the example Cordner was setting they would have sewn up the series in game two.

Not every captain needs to or can have the Andrew Johns razzle-dazzle and aura. Based on what I've seen of Cordner off and on the field I'd be a hell of a lot happier to play under him than Cameron Smith, and sometimes what a team really need is a keystone to build around. NSW have hit a point where they need everyone delivering to potential and playing for the team, which Cordner exemplifies.

Even just the way he played injured in City/Country a while back to try and press his claim for NSW selection shows the way he values the team and his state. That's the kind of thing Queensland folklore is built on, and there are worse things NSW could replicate.

BennyV

Referee
I don't get the age thing with Cleary, Thurston was like 21 or 22 when he started for Qld, not much older.
Pearce never had it, had they persevered with Mullen he could have turned out completely different.

Something is off with NSW management if they are fearful of ruining a player by placing them in the team.
Yeah, this. Cleary was thrown into NRL 'too early' and not only handled it, but he began dominating very early on. Absolutely no reason he shouldnt be playing Origin now, he's a tough, level-headed kid who will definitely be there sooner or later, may as well be sooner.

Spot On

Coach
Yes, but I believe he did a fine job as captain. One of the problems NSW have is that certain players have too much ego and won't do what's right for the team in the heat of the moment. If they'd instead followed the example Cordner was setting they would have sewn up the series in game two.

Not every captain needs to or can have the Andrew Johns razzle-dazzle and aura. Based on what I've seen of Cordner off and on the field I'd be a hell of a lot happier to play under him than Cameron Smith, and sometimes what a team really need is a keystone to build around. NSW have hit a point where they need everyone delivering to potential and playing for the team, which Cordner exemplifies.

Even just the way he played injured in City/Country a while back to try and press his claim for NSW selection shows the way he values the team and his state. That's the kind of thing Queensland folklore is built on, and there are worse things NSW could replicate.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in all you've said NW.

The playing group were beside themselves when Boyd was declared a certain starter. However he was obviously still far from 100% and carrying the calf injury.

So to show their leader he had inspired them greatly the team hop on the bus and get lost between Kingscliff and Brisbane.

They never showed up.

betcats

Referee
I don't get the age thing with Cleary, Thurston was like 21 or 22 when he started for Qld, not much older.
Pearce never had it, had they persevered with Mullen he could have turned out completely different.

JT is either the best or 2nd best Half to play the game, what applies for him probably isn't going to apply for 99 percent of half backs. Nathan is a wonderful talent but he has been quiet this year his form would have to consistently improve before you actually considered him. He has the talent, let him get the experience, unless his form is screaming "Pick me!" next season they should wait.

Shorty

Staff member
JT is either the best or 2nd best Half to play the game, what applies for him probably isn't going to apply for 99 percent of half backs. Nathan is a wonderful talent but he has been quiet this year his form would have to consistently improve before you actually considered him. He has the talent, let him get the experience, unless his form is screaming "Pick me!" next season they should wait.
At the time he'd just got a starting gig at the Cows.
Who's to say that his experience of being in that defeated 05 Maroons side doesn't make him a better player?

betcats

Referee
At the time he'd just got a starting gig at the Cows.
Who's to say that his experience of being in that defeated 05 Maroons side doesn't make him a better player?

Who's to say it would make Cleary better? It hasn't for any NSW half in over a decade, there is far more evidence to say it would hurt him then to say it would help him. If he is killing it next season then pick him but don't just pick him in the hope he will raise to the occasion the same way a future immortal did.

MilkShark

First Grade
If the rest of the team had followed his lead in game two, game three this year would have been a dead rubber. If they had followed his lead in game three, they would have snapped the Queensland winning streak.

Game 3? He was the biggest plodder on the field in game 3.

big hit!

Bench
Yeah, this. Cleary was thrown into NRL 'too early' and not only handled it, but he began dominating very early on. Absolutely no reason he shouldnt be playing Origin now, he's a tough, level-headed kid who will definitely be there sooner or later, may as well be sooner.

dominating?

when he directs and leads penrith to consistent wins, then we can say he's dominating. at the moment, he's still a good young player with potential.

big hit!

Bench
NSW going forward?

Frizell, jTrob, Bird, Klemmer.......these guys stood up when the state needed them, they're young and have been in the system for a series or 3 now. Can probably throw Cordner in there too. Bird is the running half NSW need to have. Just need an organiser in there who can adapt to the game. Pearce is wonderful at club footy and can do well against bog average club defences running the same set plays over and over again, but he doesn't play well when he needs to adjust to changes in the game against the elite, which is why he's been so poor. Until NSW can find this player and director, they'll continue to struggle. Likewise at acting half. Peats (or direction from Daley) went the total opposite of Farah and just didn't intend to step on the halves toes.

The rest of them? Many Origin careers are over for mine, but I'm not the manager or adviser. I'd overlook talent if a history of ill-discipline is present, both on and off the park. Fifita, Graham, Dugan (which is a shame because he was NSW' best back), Fergo would all be gone IMO.

Really excited to see the progress of Tommy T, Jimmy the Jet, Cleary, Moylan, Crichton, etc over the back half of this season and the lead-up to Origin next year. NSW manager needs to see consistently good performances from these guys, not 1 in every 4.

The Friz

Juniors
NSW going forward?

Frizell, jTrob, Bird, Klemmer.......these guys stood up when the state needed them, they're young and have been in the system for a series or 3 now. Can probably throw Cordner in there too. Bird is the running half NSW need to have. Just need an organiser in there who can adapt to the game. Pearce is wonderful at club footy and can do well against bog average club defences running the same set plays over and over again, but he doesn't play well when he needs to adjust to changes in the game against the elite, which is why he's been so poor. Until NSW can find this player and director, they'll continue to struggle. Likewise at acting half. Peats (or direction from Daley) went the total opposite of Farah and just didn't intend to step on the halves toes.

The rest of them? Many Origin careers are over for mine, but I'm not the manager or adviser. I'd overlook talent if a history of ill-discipline is present, both on and off the park. Fifita, Graham, Dugan (which is a shame because he was NSW' best back), Fergo would all be gone IMO.

Really excited to see the progress of Tommy T, Jimmy the Jet, Cleary, Moylan, Crichton, etc over the back half of this season and the lead-up to Origin next year. NSW manager needs to see consistently good performances from these guys, not 1 in every 4.
Mate, stop trying to be trendy and changing terminology.
Soccer has Managers, League has Coaches. Regardless of the role they play. Nobody is getting on board with your Manager yarn.

Zadar

Juniors
Game 1 next year is in Melbourne, why do nsw constantly give up one of their home games? Have qld given up any of their home matches? Another reason nsw don't quite "get" origin.

MKCS

Juniors
Cleary is an interesting topic to discuss. He is 19 years old, has been in the emerging NSW squad and played for City. If he remains injury free he'll complete this season with 38 games (Potentially more if Penrith make the 8) and a further 10 or so before Origin 1.

50 games for me is experienced enough to give him a run. I'd feel much more comfortable giving him the spot if Mal Meninga picks him for Australia in the World Cup this year in a reserve role. Would be good for him to train with the team, learn from those around him, maybe Cleary gets a run off the bench (Or even a start) against one of the second tier nations that Australia are going to smash anyway like Lebanon.

Maloney and Cleary in the halves with Moylan on the bench being subbed on with 20-25 minutes to go is a salivating thought.

Spot On

Coach
Mal has done more than enough to help develop NSW players through Kangaroo selection and none of them have shown much since.

Very disappointing.

Latest posts