What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Improved Players In 2017

gunpk

Juniors
Don't know if he fits in this category buy DCE.
He was pretty poor last season but I think he's in the best form of his career and has improved a lot compared to last season
Also very surprised about how well Aku Uate is going

Spot On

Coach
It's amazing how a good attacking centre can make a winger ie Aku. His form has definitely improved this year. If only Newy had a decent centre inside him his last 3 or 4 seasons with us. Now, who was the centre inside him at Newcastle???????

gunpk

Juniors
Didn't watch much Uate at Newcastle in the last couple of seasons but was he really playing that bad every week he had to be put in the reserves?

Spot On

Coach
A winger on 500K who couldn't hang on to the ball when it came near him had to be pushed out to get some $$$ back under the cap. That and not having a decent centre inside him meant the tries dried up as well. Plus Gagai and Aku together were the worst defensive combo in RL history. One had to go. The other continues to watch blokes run past him as if he has no arms.

Walker has been in sensational form for Manly and has put Uate in for plenty this season. Adam Mc Dougal did the same thing for Aku before he retired and we haven't had a decent centre since.

Pedge1971

First Grade
It's amazing how a good attacking centre can make a winger ie Aku. His form has definitely improved this year. If only Newy had a decent centre inside him his last 3 or 4 seasons with us. Now, who was the centre inside him at Newcastle???????

The original Dog!

Noname36

First Grade
Aku went downhill big time at Newcastle somewhere during 2012/2013 - a combination of his injury, getting comfortable/lazy, Mad Dog retiring and Bennett taking over (all effected him negatively and he never regained his confidence).

Really happy to see him doing so well again now though (even if it is with Manly) - he's always been a favourite of mine to watch. Not even one of those instances where you feel angry about them coming back to bite you because both Aku and the club needed a change (+ we're more than happy with Buhrer too as his trade).

Last edited:
Luke Keary has blossomed at the Sydney Roosters. The reasons? The coaching of Super Coach Trent Robinson and having iconic half back Mitchell Pearce.playing alongside him.

Noname36

First Grade
Didn't watch much Uate at Newcastle in the last couple of seasons but was he really playing that bad every week he had to be put in the reserves?

He was pretty bad. Thing with Aku is the difference between his good and bad is enormous.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Luke Keary would play as he is now at any club. He's a decent player. I'd have him at my club over the other Rooster half. The back up half Cornish goes well too.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
I'm not sure some of these players mentioned you can say they have 'improved' (Slater, Uate), maybe you could say they have found form again but they were pretty good before they struggled through form and injury.

Daly Cherry-Evans I can see how you can say he has improved though. A couple years ago (2009-2013) he had Foran, Lyons, Glen and Brett Stewart sharing the burden for him. He has now stood up and become a leader despite having the Trbojevic brothers there.

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
Joel Edwards. Ranga who ranged between complete and utter plod to starch until yesterday. Was immortal before a tragic injury cut short a motm performance.

Honourable mentions to Zane Musgrove, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Korbin Sims, Trent Plodkinson, Gerard Beale, the Souffs backline, anyone named Burgess, Steve "Stevo" Stevenson and Albert Rosenfeld.