What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones II

LESStar58

Referee
There's no escaping that fecking ginger. Bad enough the radio plays his songs every 40 minutes.

Good episode though.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Was it? I just thought Arya would knock off Walder and be on her way. Didn't see the mass murder coming.

Yeah, I thought it was just a flashback at first tbh. It's when Walter didn't take a sip did I realise something was up

Yeah that was the only part of the Ep I didn't like - as in him doing a cameo specifically, the scene was actually good.

I'm hoping there aren't any more non-actor celebs going to pop in. The show is better than that.

Oh, and I didn't like the topknot joke by the hound. Was completely out of place to have a modern term tossed in there.

Other than those 2 tiny things was a good episode setting the scene for the season. Hopefully it's the only one of this type though as we only have 7 eps this seasons

It did cheapen the show a bit. Apart from his singing he did even have any lines, just sat there. What was the point?

Yeah that was the only part of the Ep I didn't like - as in him doing a cameo specifically, the scene was actually good.

I'm hoping there aren't any more non-actor celebs going to pop in. The show is better than that.

Oh, and I didn't like the topknot joke by the hound. Was completely out of place to have a modern term tossed in there.

Other than those 2 tiny things was a good episode setting the scene for the season. Hopefully it's the only one of this type though as we only have 7 eps this seasons
Isn't Connor McGregor in an episode?

t-ba

Post Whore
It was ok, but it's been like a year and I just want shit to hit the fan already.

The earliest reference to a top knot talking about hair is like the 18th century (Sir Walter Scott), I'm pretty certain that other stuff has been referenced using terms that popped up around then and not their traditional medieval terms so I have no issue with it.

Makes sense for a follower of the Lord of Light to be rocking one, since it is meant to come out from somewhere around Asshai, which obviously borrows heavily from the Far East. The Koreans and Japanese were wearing that type of do around the start of the age of discovery. Also makes sense for the Hound to mock him for it.

Can't believe I just defended a top knot joke on Game of Thrones.

f**k Olly

Danish

Referee
It was ok, but it's been like a year and I just want shit to hit the fan already.

The earliest reference to a top knot talking about hair is like the 18th century (Sir Walter Scott), I'm pretty certain that other stuff has been referenced using terms that popped up around then and not their traditional medieval terms so I have no issue with it.

Makes sense for a follower of the Lord of Light to be rocking one, since it is meant to come out from somewhere around Asshai, which obviously borrows heavily from the Far East. The Koreans and Japanese were wearing that type of do around the start of the age of discovery. Also makes sense for the Hound to mock him for it.

Can't believe I just defended a top knot joke on Game of Thrones.

f**k Olly

Its not that I think the hairstyle was an anachronism. GOT ain't set in any sort of historical time on earth after all. Nor do I mind that the bloke was wearing one. He's been rocking it since his first appearance in the show I thought.

It is just using the actual term "topknot" to describe it that seemed stupid since it felt very much like the writers just trying to squeeze a 2016 pop culture reference into the show. Basically the joke and everything would have worked better IMO if the joke remained but the actual phrase wasn't there.

Still, could have been worse. He could have called it a man bun

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
Topknot is a centuries old term however...

18th Century poets used it to refer to hair styled in that fashion, such as Sir Walter Scott...

There are thousands of words that we consider the bedrock of English that basically came about as pop culture references and entrenched themselves in the language to the point where we can't imagine them ever not being part of the language. It's super fluid after all.

And Westeros is an imagined world, so maybe the trend hit a bit earlier there...

Danish

Referee
Topknot is a centuries old term however...

18th Century poets used it to refer to hair styled in that fashion, such as Sir Walter Scott...

There are thousands of words that we consider the bedrock of English that basically came about as pop culture references and entrenched themselves in the language to the point where we can't imagine them ever not being part of the language. It's super fluid after all.

And Westeros is an imagined world, so maybe the trend hit a bit earlier there...

Again I didn't find it stupid from an anachronism perspective. The hairstyle fits the show just fine.

It just felt very obviously shoe horned in there by the writers to take advantage of the 2016 trend (when the ep would have been written) of making fun of top knots/man buns.

Anyway we're getting hung up on that throw away joke. The Ed Sheeran cameo was far more jarring to the show. They may as well have added a little graphic saying "Hey kids! It's Ed Sheeran!" when he turned to face the camera.

Hopefully that is the only cameo of the season.

For the actual show, I'm hoping we get a tonne of action every episode from here on in. There is so much for them to wrap up and only 13 episodes to do it in.

BennyV

Referee
Yeah, they really do have to start making shit go down soon, only 7 episodes and a hell of a lot to happen in this series.

Arya is pretty badass, but my love for Sansa (that really only started last season) is still building. Loved her shutting Littlefinger down about getting the last word in!

Euron is going to be Ramsay Bolton levels of awesome character too. Obviously makes Jamie so uncomfortable!

P.s. I want Lyanna Mormont to take over from Paul McGregor as coach of the dragons. She's the f**king bomb. Could probably play prop too.

Danish

Referee
P.s. I want Lyanna Mormont to take over from Paul McGregor as coach of the dragons. She's the f**king bomb. Could probably play prop too.

brienne of tarth would be my pick for dragons coach.

I could just see her spanking McCrone with her sword every time he tries to put a kick in and giving him a firm "NO"

t-ba

Post Whore
Again I didn't find it stupid from an anachronism perspective. The hairstyle fits the show just fine.

It just felt very obviously shoe horned in there by the writers to take advantage of the 2016 trend (when the ep would have been written) of making fun of top knots/man buns.

I'm sure humans throughout history have fun the manbun that isn't on a Korean or Japanese head ridiculous and stupid and worthy of derision.

Aragorn

First Grade
I have to say, my man crush on the hound is strong.

Cant wait to see him tear up those walkers.

How about those giants ?

Its going to be a crazy war.....

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah, they really do have to start making shit go down soon, only 7 episodes and a hell of a lot to happen in this series.
It should move a lot quicker with a lot of the main characters now in each others company. You could watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy twice over with the amount of time left.

Shorty

Staff member
I really hated Sheeran being in this episode, it's just a stupid cameo.
Apart from that great first episode and Arya is going to kick butt this season.

Is Sansa destined to turn bad? She 'learned' a lot from Cersei...this is an interesting comment.
Really does look like Jaime will take out Cersei, he seems to be growing more and more disturbed by her behaviour.
Also think Cersei and Euron will hook up.