What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson out for the season

Shaun Johnson is a touch footy player.

That is rubbish. If you had followed him you would know that he is a very good defender and an outstanding cover defender. He has run down Michael Jennings in full flight. Same for Daniel Tupou. These are State of Origin reps whom he has collared. Shaun Johnson in attack has made a fool of Greg Inglis in an international match. What more can he do to prove his brilliance in real rugby league?

Pedge1971

First Grade
That is rubbish. If you had followed him you would know that he is a very good defender and an outstanding cover defender. He has run down Michael Jennings in full flight. Same for Daniel Tupou. These are State of Origin reps whom he has collared. Shaun Johnson in attack has made a fool of Greg Inglis in an international match. What more can he do to prove his brilliance in real rugby league?

Be consistent and not shirk the hard stuff.....

Spot On

Coach
Yean, nah. Time to give the league away and play touch. Maybe a cameo at a 9's tourny if they ever try that rubbish again. Suits him with no defenders in front of him.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Shaun Johnson is the most exciting player in world rugby league -- and I include the stars of Super League in my judgment of him. Shaun Johnson is a magician who can help NZ win the World Cup.
You do know magic is bullshit don't you . . . a couple of games taking the line on more than twice a set and he has you bamboozled. Then again, if he continues his new found concentration I will be the first to yell Yippee ki-yay . . . go NZ

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
there things sj can do and has done that no other half is capable of. But looking at cronk and JT on their rare off days they are still plenty involved and trying things but it just isn't happening. The passes aren't sticking, the timing is that fraction of a second off and it gets pulled back for a forward pass, they get a bit too adventurous and it ends up down the other end under the posts from an intercept etc etc. They don't just crab across the field at a slight jog and offload it to someone on the inside that is standing flat and makes 0.5m from it then have no more involvements that set. Or they don't have a play on, have a 5 on 3 overlap and then step back to the other side and pass it to someone flat footed and well covered just...because.

Annnnnnd he's back. For the World Cup possibly anyway. PCL 6-8weeks.

350.png

This is good news. He can get a 6 week rest and enter the WC fresh, have a couple of warm-up games and be ready to go against a tiring Roo side later in the tournament.

This could be a blessing in disguise, cos player burnout is a muthaf*cka.

What chance is Mal to risk GI's, or even JT's health in the WC? I reckon he'll try cos he's desperate to squeeze every last drop of success out of this crop of QLDers.

2nd for try assists this year plus he kicks more than any other player in the comp and leads kick meters by a country mile.
Not bad playing behind a pack who get smashed every week.
Will be missed but the warriors were next to no hope of cracking finals anyway.
Good news for all concerned that its only a pcl.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The comments in this thread are a bit weird given Johnson has been excellent the last few weeks and statistically is just about the most heavily involved/dominant half in the comp, despite being partnered with a bloke who was supposed to share the workload with him.

His execution and decision making continues to be hit and miss but he certainly doesn't shirk responsibility. See what happened in 2015. The Warriors rely on SJ as much or more than any club relies on any individual.

JJ

Immortal
The comments in this thread are a bit weird given Johnson has been excellent the last few weeks and statistically is just about the most heavily involved/dominant half in the comp, despite being partnered with a bloke who was supposed to share the workload with him.

His execution and decision making continues to be hit and miss but he certainly doesn't shirk responsibility. See what happened in 2015. The Warriors rely on SJ as much or more than any club relies on any individual.
Yep, this

I am not a huge Johnson fan by any stretch, in fact have been accused of the reverse. But most Australians don't give a rat's arse about the Warriors, so aren't actually watching - and therefore expect that if the Warriors are shit, it's because Johnson's shit - quite the reverse, the Warriors are shit because they're shit - Johnson, with Mannering, RTS, Gavet, Ayshford, Maumalo, perhaps Lillyman and one or two others are the few that seem to turn up every single week with a big effort.

If people are going to bag a Warriors half, I'd be looking at "he adds so much with his direct play" Kieran Foran, and then when the spine's criticised I'd be looking at him and Luke - but the forwards are very ordinary, and the coach is a potato

Shaun Johnson's one of the most naturally gifted players of all time. I don't think I've ever seen another halfback with his unique skill set. He can run as fast as any man in the game, but still possesses a good long kicking game, and decent ball playing ability. I don't remember another halfback with that combination of attributes before him.

He just probably needs to leave the Warriors unfortunately.

JJ

Immortal
Shaun Johnson's one of the most naturally gifted players of all time. I don't think I've ever seen another halfback with his unique skill set. He can run as fast as any man in the game, but still possesses a good long kicking game, and decent ball playing ability. I don't remember another halfback with that combination of attributes before him.

He just probably needs to leave the Warriors unfortunately.
The one he reminds me most of is Greg Alexander - who from 89-91 became consistently great when his game management improved

Shorty

Staff member
It's probably the coaching really, he reminds me a bit of Thurston earlier in his career, having to try and do everything.
Shaun is very good when even 10% of that pressure is taken off him.

Good news that it's PCL and not ACL, Warrios have been hampered with injuries as of late.

Latest posts