What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Madge took Souths to a premiership. Will never forget that for as long as I live. I know that there's gonna be two sides to this story and I understand that but at the moment the players just look unhappy. Sometimes not even the best of coaches can prevent that from happening. None of the players have openly backed Maguire either which is a serious problem...

Michael Maguire will always be a Rabbitoh in my books! I would still welcome him as an assistant or conditioning trainer in some shape or form. That's if he wanted it.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Love Madge but I think 5 years is too long as head coach.

Look at Des at the Dogs, similar situation, started in 2012 and now look.

Then again, you look at Trent Robinson whos been with the Roosters only a year less and you can see that it doesn't affect all coaches. Then again, the Roosters have had a fairly consistent roster in that time.

All in all, love Madge but maybe it's time to go. We'll have to live with the decision of the club so you may as well roll with it.

In Souths we trust.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
I think I once heard Sam straining himself to support Madge during the year. Big Sam is a very powerful and influential fellow in the club.

El Madgster was tasked to keep the squad competitive following the massive salary cap damage 21 cost us. He faced injuries, open rebellion, bad behaviour and scandals, really dumb football, white anting and big name players letting us down. He was accused of "mind games" by some. He had average rosters.

But he was always tough as and spoke up for the club.

We know that while Matty Elliot was coaching Canberra, he was having general discussions with the panthers about their recruitment for his side to come the following year.

I wonder if we have a new coach and what s/he's ordering for talent?!

Should be a very interesting off season.

Maybe we could go new- agey, sjw and public servicey and get a female coach!

Maybe the Simms kids mum, she sounds nice and her kids can play!!!

Last edited:

themacemaceman

Juniors
I think I once heard Sam straining himself to support Madge during the year. Big Sam is a very powerful and influential fellow in the club.

El Madgster was tasked to keep the squad competitive following the massive salary cap damage 21 cost us. He faced injuries, open rebellion, bad behaviour and scandals, really dumb football, white anting and big name players letting us down. He was accused of "mind games" by some. He had average rosters.

But he was always tough as and spoke up for the club.

We know that while Matty Elliot was coaching Canberra, he was having general discussions with the panthers about their recruitment for his side to come the following year.

I wonder if we have a new coach and what s/he's ordering for talent?!

Should be a very interesting off season.

Maybe we could go new- agey, sjw and public servicey and get a female coach!

Maybe the Simms kids mum, she sounds nice and her have kids can play!!!

I vote Shadow and R20 for our next coach / assistant coach.
They've got all the answers.
Cook will be captain.

Pommy

Coach
There have been some whispers about the place but they tend to get a bit louder after losses. If you give away sources they can sue you or you lose their trust and friendship.

But there are public signs too

A. No extension of Madges contract known. No discussion of its negotiation in the press.

B. No public support for Madge by top management beyond this current contract.

C. No comment by Madge about his long term future.

The silence is deafening.

I think I posted earlier that a club will almost always try to tie up a coach earlier rather than later..if they think he's on top of it...with a few rare exceptions.

Thus we were quick to extend Madges tenure when we were going ok.

I heard the announcement will be made during the distraction of the finals. The club knows we are bleeding.

Usually there is a press release that everybody is going there own ways amicably. Madge is smart enough not to burn any bridges or be a spoilt brat.

I've been hammering him but I know madge has his own story about players he wanted retained and was seeking and stuff. He's not allowed to set the record straight.

Certainly jason Taylor had a terrible time at wests internally and then was thrown under a bus. His skepticism of his big name players was spot on. By their (in) actions they proved him right.

I wonder whether we go big-name or current assistant somewhere.

It's very hard to coach an nrl side well.

Why would the club be looking at a contract extension 9 months after his last one?
Why would Madge be talking about his long term future 9 months after signing until the end of 2019?
Why would the club come it a publicaly back him when they did so 9 months?

To me your points are all flawed.

handyman2190

Bench
We have been interviewing for new coaches for some time now.

There's a view, we do not have the cattle.

But the "cattle" we have, they have been under performing.

The new coach will be announced prior to the pre season.

You heard it here first.
Madge signed a new 2 year deal end last season i thought so he would need to be paid out
Warriors would do well to grab him just what they need

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Pretty much every nrl contract has kpi and performance clauses.

The club will always leave an out for itself.

Forget what you've heard or believe, Madge is gone.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Madge took Souths to a premiership. Will never forget that for as long as I live. I know that there's gonna be two sides to this story and I understand that but at the moment the players just look unhappy. Sometimes not even the best of coaches can prevent that from happening. None of the players have openly backed Maguire either which is a serious problem...

Michael Maguire will always be a Rabbitoh in my books! I would still welcome him as an assistant or conditioning trainer in some shape or form. That's if he wanted it.
Can't fault this.....

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cook will be captain.
Nope......

Sammy probably still would be.....

Farah would go and we'd play Cook at hooker.......

Farah going would free us up more money to buy 1 very good prop and a solid prop and a couple of good backs........

AJ would be encouraged to roam around the field and Hunt would be told to get his hands dirty more and lift his workrate when we are coming out of our own end......

Cody would be told to play with some structure in attack but also to play naturally and run off his instincts and get his hands on the ball a lot........

Cherrington would be used as a battering ram too..... he's got it in him......

Murray would be given good chance to develop.....

The list goes on.....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I thought matty johns might be worth a crack. Furner also wants the top job somewhere.

Let's be real though we need someone to get the Burgess boys firing. I don't know if even "Jesus Christ" could do that as shadow says.

greg jay

Juniors
Re Maguire. I asked Peter Tunks on Talking Sport ]2SM] hier and he emphatically informed me thus: "Maguire has two more years on his contract and it would be very costly to sack him. So its hard to see him going anywhere". Tunks and Graham Hughes were nevertheless highly critical of the One Hit Up Tactics and Maguire's choice of bench players making the point that the bench seemed to be incompatible with Maguire's "tactics". Tunks also commented to me that its Maguire's job to cut the turnovers down especially from The Burgess Clan. Tunks stated that Burgess Clan should be leaning into tackles with their left shoulder and tucking the rock firmly under the right arm which he says they fail to do repeatedly and that its easily corrected by smart coaching.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
themacemaceman said:
Cook will be captain.

BRILLIANT POST ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT;)...Shadow...