What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League XXII 2017

adamkungl

Immortal
Toulouse beat KR.. But Halifax also win.

Final game, Toulouse need to beat Featherstone AND hope KR beat Halifax

jim_57

Staff member
Toulouse beat KR.. But Halifax also win.

Final game, Toulouse need to beat Featherstone AND hope KR beat Halifax

I don't think Toulouse would be much chance of being promoted this year, but that middle 8's experience would be huge for the club going in to next season and good experience for some World Cup players. Come on Toulouse (and Hull KR)! Let's get that french derby.

Side note, I read elsewhere that it would be a Catalans home "derby" if Toulouse do scrape in.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't think Toulouse would be much chance of being promoted this year, but that middle 8's experience would be huge for the club going in to next season and good experience for some World Cup players. Come on Toulouse (and Hull KR)! Let's get that french derby.

Side note, I read elsewhere that it would be a Catalans home "derby" if Toulouse do scrape in.

Anyone being promoted kind of depends on a combination of good luck and perfect form, and hoping for the exact opposite to hit the SL teams. Last year proved it's possible.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not strictly SL but I reckon Middle 8s news belongs in here for now

3rd placed Championship club Featherstone has sacked their coach 2 weeks out from the Middle 8s.

bold-move-cotton-its-a-bold-move-cotton-lets-see-if-it-pays-off.jpg

deluded pom?

Coach
I'd trust Toulouse to win and KR to win. It's just margins that it comes down to.
Not necessarily. Dull KR may decide to rest anyone carrying a niggle. The cynic in me also thinks that if they do that and lose they won't be too disappointed to see the only team to beat them this year lose out on the 8s.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Yeah I just looked at the ladder, Toulouse are 50 points or so to the better in terms of points differential.

Featherstone sacking their coach in 3rd position? They're kidding themselves.

I hope Toulouse get in just for the chance of an all-French tie in the middle 8's

adamkungl

Immortal
Final standings before Super 8s

P W L D PF PA DIFF PTS
1 Castleford Tigers 23 20 3 0 769 378 391 40
2 Leeds Rhinos 23 15 8 0 553 477 76 30
3 Hull FC 23 13 9 1 541 483 58 27
4 Salford Red Devils 23 13 10 0 576 500 76 26
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
5 Wakefield Trinity 23 13 10 0 572 506 66 26
6 St Helens 23 12 10 1 513 420 93 25
7 Wigan Warriors 23 10 10 3 539 518 21 23
8 Huddersfield Giants 23 9 11 3 519 486 33 21
----------------
9 Warrington Wolves 23 9 12 2 422 557 -135 20
10 Catalans Dragons 23 7 15 1 469 689 -220 15
11 Leigh Centurions 23 6 17 0 425 615 -190 12
12 Widnes Vikings 23 5 17 1 359 628 -269 11

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Please explain? I was just asking a question so hopefully someone with more knowledge than me could give an educated reply.

Hull KR and London are very good Championship teams.
Whether that makes them Super League teams is tough to say. I think it will depend on a bit of luck, some serious tenacity, and some choking by Widnes and/or Leigh. The SL teams have the financial and roster advantage.

deluded pom?

Coach
Please explain? I was just asking a question so hopefully someone with more knowledge than me could give an educated reply.
You had Warrington and Catalans being good enough to fill two of the top three spots. That leaves Widnes and Leigh to fight it out with, it pains me to say it, Dull KR (in all likelihood).

Dakink

Bench
Thanks folks. I'm working out bush so am relying on poor phone coverage and LU posts for my updates for the time being.

A question DP, what is the fans opinions of how the RFL is running the league. From my position on the other side of the world it seems like they are progressive and trying to expand their market. What are your thoughts mate?

deluded pom?

Coach
Thanks folks. I'm working out bush so am relying on poor phone coverage and LU posts for my updates for the time being.

A question DP, what is the fans opinions of how the RFL is running the league. From my position on the other side of the world it seems like they are progressive and trying to expand their market. What are your thoughts mate?
It seems like they are polar opposites at times. They are progressive in allowing French and Canadian teams into their system but there's also talk of them reducing the number of teams in the league and asking some of the weaker League 1 teams (teams away from the heartlands) if they would drop back to being amateur teams. I think the general consensus is that Wood and Rimmer aren't good value for their salaries (Wood is allegedly on £250,000 per year). England rarely play a home game outside of a WC/4N. There are rumours about the Challenge Cup possibly moving from Wembley. There was no WC 2013 legacy. They continually change the system the leagues are played under. It wears you down after a while.

Dakink

Bench
It seems like they are polar opposites at times. They are progressive in allowing French and Canadian teams into their system but there's also talk of them reducing the number of teams in the league and asking some of the weaker League 1 teams (teams away from the heartlands) if they would drop back to being amateur teams. I think the general consensus is that Wood and Rimmer aren't good value for their salaries (Wood is allegedly on £250,000 per year). England rarely play a home game outside of a WC/4N. There are rumours about the Challenge Cup possibly moving from Wembley. There was no WC 2013 legacy. They continually change the system the leagues are played under. It wears you down after a while.

Seems some consistency in competition structure us needed. Along the lines of pick a system a go with it so everyone knows what is required.

deluded pom?

Coach
Seems some consistency in competition structure us needed. Along the lines of pick a system a go with it so everyone knows what is required.
The RFL and the SL can't seem to think beyond a season or two before they try to reinvent the wheel. It gets confusing and frustrating for RL fans. God knows what people with a passing interest think of the continual chopping and changing.

Latest posts