What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW going forward

True_Believer

Juniors
Disagree. The biggest difference between the two teams and has been for some time is the Qld spine. All 4 will be immortals and i doubt we'll see anything like it again. At least 2 won't be there next year with the other 2 not far behind. The playing field will level right out and if NSW can get their spine right, possibly even shift dramatically in favour of the Blues.

I'd go with Maloney and Cleary in the halves - a mix of youth and experience with Moylan or even Gutherson being used from the utility spot. Probably Peats at 9 unless McInnis can take another step forward in his development and challenge for a spot and Tedesco at FB with Tom Trbojevic on a wing, possibly replacing him one day.

1 Tedesco
2 Mansour
3 Dugan
4 Bird
5 Trbojevic
6 Maloney
7 Cleary
8 Klemmer
9 Peats
10 Vaughan
11 Cordner
12 Graham
13 Trbojevic

14 Moylan
15 Frizell
16 Brown
17 Fifita

That's if i was to pick a side tomorrow, obviously there is a lot of time to pass by between now and next series.
As Beddsy said on NRL 360 last night, the reason QLD are dominant IS the spine. But predominantly because a majority of them play together week in and week out. And a great example of that is the ease with which Munster slotted in.

They compared them to the NSW teams of the 90s - A spine consisting of predominantly Canberra, then Newcastle, then Roosters. It's the familiarity with each other (and the greater skill level) that keeps them on top. It is unlikely we will make an impact until we can also field a team with a spine that plays together in the regular comp. Once you start picking players from across different teams (your 4 spine players all come from different teams) you are making it more difficult to gel over 3 games a year.

big hit!

Bench
Cleary is an interesting topic to discuss. He is 19 years old, has been in the emerging NSW squad and played for City. If he remains injury free he'll complete this season with 38 games (Potentially more if Penrith make the 8) and a further 10 or so before Origin 1.

50 games for me is experienced enough to give him a run. I'd feel much more comfortable giving him the spot if Mal Meninga picks him for Australia in the World Cup this year in a reserve role. Would be good for him to train with the team, learn from those around him, maybe Cleary gets a run off the bench (Or even a start) against one of the second tier nations that Australia are going to smash anyway like Lebanon.

Maloney and Cleary in the halves with Moylan on the bench being subbed on with 20-25 minutes to go is a salivating thought.

doesn't make a difference if the forwards are pillow fighting. maloney was as effective as Pearce in games 2 and 3.

big hit!

Bench
As Beddsy said on NRL 360 last night, the reason QLD are dominant IS the spine. But predominantly because a majority of them play together week in and week out. And a great example of that is the ease with which Munster slotted in.

They compared them to the NSW teams of the 90s - A spine consisting of predominantly Canberra, then Newcastle, then Roosters. It's the familiarity with each other (and the greater skill level) that keeps them on top. It is unlikely we will make an impact until we can also field a team with a spine that plays together in the regular comp. Once you start picking players from across different teams (your 4 spine players all come from different teams) you are making it more difficult to gel over 3 games a year.

QLD are in a position where the bulk of their best service players (ex Thurston) play at the same club side. They happen to be dominating the comp too. When NSW did it, they were in the same position. NSW can't just force it. Otherwise, you'd have Gordon, Keary, Pearce, & Connor Watson in 1,6,7, & 9.

Yes, there's familiarity, but that also comes from regularly playing for state. QLD had Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith for a few series too. 4 service players spread among 3 clubs. They still dominated.

Besides, QLD in Game 1 showed that if your forwards are getting owned, your spine is likely to be ineffective.

OldPanther

Coach
Cleary is an interesting topic to discuss. He is 19 years old, has been in the emerging NSW squad and played for City. If he remains injury free he'll complete this season with 38 games (Potentially more if Penrith make the 8) and a further 10 or so before Origin 1.

50 games for me is experienced enough to give him a run. I'd feel much more comfortable giving him the spot if Mal Meninga picks him for Australia in the World Cup this year in a reserve role. Would be good for him to train with the team, learn from those around him, maybe Cleary gets a run off the bench (Or even a start) against one of the second tier nations that Australia are going to smash anyway like Lebanon.

Maloney and Cleary in the halves with Moylan on the bench being subbed on with 20-25 minutes to go is a salivating thought.

Completely agree. He's so calm as well. He played his first game against Melbourne and was one of our best.

True_Believer

Juniors
QLD are in a position where the bulk of their best service players (ex Thurston) play at the same club side. They happen to be dominating the comp too. When NSW did it, they were in the same position. NSW can't just force it. Otherwise, you'd have Gordon, Keary, Pearce, & Connor Watson in 1,6,7, & 9.

Yes, there's familiarity, but that also comes from regularly playing for state. QLD had Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith for a few series too. 4 service players spread among 3 clubs. They still dominated.

Besides, QLD in Game 1 showed that if your forwards are getting owned, your spine is likely to be ineffective.

Correct, you can't force it. It needs to be a combination that is playing well enough to be picked on merit.

Like you said, 4 service players spread among 3 clubs for the first 3 or 4 games of the 'dynasty' (and even then some variation on that combination). What helped there was that they were 4 of the best players in the comp at the time (and 3 of them still are playing with the addition of one of their regular team mates) and formed the spine for Australia.

Also don't forget that game 1 this year was missing Slater and Thurston. 1/2 the regular spine out of play with a rookie half who hadn't played in that combination prior.

MilkShark

First Grade
We have been through this.

He made more metres than woods and fifita combined
I don't care how many metres you make, if you;re going to keep dropping the ball and letting in trys you can make a 1000m but you still didn't play well.

Anyways it over now.

Lets move on.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Curious at a Raiders fan with no love for Shannon Boyd. He's your standout big bopper for mine (it was Vaughan, thanks once again for him).

Also I think Cotric will be ready before 2020. Possibly even next year, assuming we're not dumb enough to pick Pearce again and leave our outside backs on a hiding to nothing.

Paulo is better.

The raiders pack is papalii and then daylight and then paulo this year. Paulo regularly makes huge metres and is a pretty skillful player (of course you gotta stay on top of that because otherwise he will just play halfback)

His defence can be a little lacking but he is comfortably a better prop than Boyd right now. One of the few raiders who puts in every week

Nightward

Juniors
I don't care how many metres you make, if you;re going to keep dropping the ball and letting in trys you can make a 1000m but you still didn't play well.

Then I suggest you turn the blowtorch on Woods and Fifita, because they were both more to blame for that than Cordner. Wallace's try came of the back of both comprehensively failing to do their job, after all.

OldPanther

Coach
Then I suggest you turn the blowtorch on Woods and Fifita, because they were both more to blame for that than Cordner. Wallace's try came of the back of both comprehensively failing to do their job, after all.

I like Cordner and believe he should be there next year but game 3 he was clearly under done and was as bad as the others in his own way. The thing with that is he was injured and they were fit.

Spot On

Coach
Gus has already told NSWRL to get f**ked if they're wanting to pick Cleary next year.

Gus has now come out and said he has talked to the Penrith players and told them he DOES NOT WANT THEM NEAR THE NSW ORIGIN SET UP should they be selected. They are not going.

Get that up ya NSWRL.

How f**king bad is it?

Bad. Real bad.

Is this enough to change the shit that is NSW Origin????

MilkShark

First Grade
Lol cool story bro.

Zadar

Juniors
They have in 2019, correct?

Have they? I heard game 2 will be in Perth, so unless they haven't mentioned it yet, the trend would be
Game 1 in QLD
Game 2 in Perth
Game 3 QLD

It says QLD could possibly be short changed by giving one of it's home games to Sydney.

MilkShark

First Grade
*Shrug*

The replay is up for all the world to see. Woods failed to complete the first tackle or try for the ball, and Fifita just stood there and watched it happen. It's a moment that sums up their nights in a nutshell.
I know the exact moment you are talking about.

But Cordner let in 1 try, nearly 2. and knocked on 2 or 3 times. This is our goddam captain of all people.

betcats

Referee
I know the exact moment you are talking about.

But Cordner let in 1 try, nearly 2. and knocked on 2 or 3 times. This is our goddam captain of all people.

So basically the only back rower that didn't miss important tackles that led to tries was your favourite whipping boy Josh Jackson? What was it some clown said after game 1? "Graham can do what Jackson does defensively" lol Josh McGuire does not agree.

The laziness from Guys like Woods, Fifita and Hayne throughout the series is far more concerning than an injured player missing tackles. Cordner has an excuse, why did Fifita just stand there and watch that Wallace try unfold? Did he pull a heartstring? And woods the flop, does the guy have an ounce of aggression or agro in him at all? He takes a lot of hit ups and falls on his fat front fairly often, there is nothing else good I can say about him, he must be the softest tackling blues and kangaroos prop in the history of both those sides.

We can argue all day about who was the worst for us in game 3, imo no one showed up. In the first ten minutes Cooper Cronk must of kicked the ball 4 times with out a blues player getting close to him and Smith was running from dummy half at will with no one pressuring him. They came out flat as a tack, the performance was a huge failure from everyone involved.

Last edited:

myrrh ken

First Grade
Wallace's try came of the back of both comprehensively failing to do their job, after all.

Feefs was not to blame for that one. Woods was not in the line leaving a big gap for him to cover. there was no way he could get to that hail mary pass.

big hit!

Bench
Gus has now come out and said he has talked to the Penrith players and told them he DOES NOT WANT THEM NEAR THE NSW ORIGIN SET UP should they be selected. They are not going.

Get that up ya NSWRL.

How f**king bad is it?

Bad. Real bad.

Is this enough to change the shit that is NSW Origin????

don't Gus' boys have the right culture and leadership to bring into NSW? if he's confident in his players, than they can be the ones to set the right example, just like the melbourne connection, lockyer and thurston have done with QLD

his comments say more about penrith than NSW really. if they don't have the discipline to do the right things off and on the field for NSW, then they're not the players NSW should select anyway.

Latest posts