What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lol at Broncos getting nervous re expansion!

davi

Juniors
Broncos CEO Paul White has put his beak into expansion debate of a second team in Brisbane. White not surprisingly is against it suggesting the Broncos have had to 'work hard' against other codes to get sponsorships and suggests it's not as easy being one club town as it looks.

White's argument is a little weak while the late Paul Morgan executed getting the Broncos established to perfection making smart moves and managing the club well it certainly benefited having the sponsorship and all Queensland players to it's disposal.

My only concern is because the Broncos are so established in Brisbane and surrounding areas that it would be hard for another club to establish it self.

It's why Fairfax won't bring the Brisbane Times into print. Courier Fail has established itself as the Queensland's major newspaper and Fairfax research suggests there is not the market place for a second print media outlet because Courier Fail is so entrenched.

https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/second-brisbane-side-no-quick-fix-white/390672

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Currently in Brisbane staying in the city. Apart from a taxi advertising Broncos memberships you wouldn't know the Broncos played here.

I live here PR and I agree. The Broncos are streets ahead of the Lions and Reds at the moment and have become a little complacent with promotion. It is probably a good reason for a second RL team here. It is the only team that could challenge the Broncos consistently as there is a huge RL supporter base here that don't support the Broncos.

My personal opinion is that the rivalry between the Broncos and Brisbane 2 doesn't have to be along geographical lines but ownership lines. The Broncos are very much a corporation, it is what most of their detractors despise about them. I think a member owned community based club would be the perfect point of difference. Setting up Brisbane 2 like the Western Sydney Wanderers were with complete fan input as a real club owned by the members would be hugely popular here.

One thing that has happened in Brisbane over the last 10 years is that the number of tourists / international students in the inner city has increased dramatically and I have noticed that attending a Broncos game and watching State of Origin has become a real bucket list item for those of them based here for any reasonable amount of time. It is great to see.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Broncos CEO Paul White has put his beak into expansion debate of a second team in Brisbane. White not surprisingly is against it suggesting the Broncos have had to 'work hard' against other codes to get sponsorships and suggests it's not as easy being one club town as it looks.

White's argument is a little weak while the late Paul Morgan executed getting the Broncos established to perfection making smart moves and managing the club well it certainly benefited having the sponsorship and all Queensland players to it's disposal.

My only concern is because the Broncos are so established in Brisbane and surrounding areas that it would be hard for another club to establish it self.

It's why Fairfax won't bring the Brisbane Times into print. Courier Fail has established itself as the Queensland's major newspaper and Fairfax research suggests there is not the market place for a second print media outlet because Courier Fail is so entrenched.

https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/second-brisbane-side-no-quick-fix-white/390672

It's interesting that he says this. Has there been anything said by the NRL that has prompted this from him? If not publically, it might be a hint that these issues are being discussed seriously behind closed doors. Let's hope.

taipan

Referee
The Broncos need strong NRL competition in that city.Two reasons, another club makes you work harder in getting bums on seats and members ,and perhaps offer better pricing deals particularly for families.

Secondly it is plain dumb a city which is supposedly NRL mad, only offers the game to the good citizens fortnightly, giving other codes breathing space.Especially as the other codes' teams are down the rear end of their respective tables.

Imagine our grocery bills, if there was no competition between Woolworths and Coles.

T-Boon

Coach

White does not get that if a new NRL team comes in it should be the other codes that suffer not the Broncos. It should help the Broncos. Mainly to get off their lazy arses.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I live here PR and I agree. The Broncos are streets ahead of the Lions and Reds at the moment and have become a little complacent with promotion. It is probably a good reason for a second RL team here. It is the only team that could challenge the Broncos consistently as there is a huge RL supporter base here that don't support the Broncos.

My personal opinion is that the rivalry between the Broncos and Brisbane 2 doesn't have to be along geographical lines but ownership lines. The Broncos are very much a corporation, it is what most of their detractors despise about them. I think a member owned community based club would be the perfect point of difference.
Setting up Brisbane 2 like the Western Sydney Wanderers were with complete fan input as a real club owned by the members would be hugely popular here.

One thing that has happened in Brisbane over the last 10 years is that the number of tourists / international students in the inner city has increased dramatically and I have noticed that attending a Broncos game and watching State of Origin has become a real bucket list item for those of them based here for any reasonable amount of time. It is great to see.

I agree that concept the club represents is far more important than an arbitrary geographic boarder fans are told to care about...

Ive said before, i think the best way to achieve this is to revive the old Brisbane representative team, Brisbane Firsts or BRL United (including an "EST. 1922" just to really stake a claim on being the traditional Brisbane RL team).

The contrast couldnt be more perfect; the community team with a century of history against to corporate blow-in team that killed them. (to REALLY fire up the rivalry, the new team could even have a go at them for being the "NSWRL Broncos" since they wore the NSW badge for their first 7 years of their existance)...

slamminsam246

Juniors
There definitely needs to be a 2nd Brissie team introduced to the NRL asap. I was born, raised and still live in Brisbane and although i was raised to hate the Broncos (by my devoted Wynnum Seagull of a father), I would definitely welcome a Bris2 club with open arms.
They could roster most of their home games on Saturday and Sunday afternoon/evenings (variaty between 2pm, 3pm and 5:30pm kick offs) thus providing local rugby league families the opportunity for a fun, cheap day out at the footy.
Sydney club supporters would also get 2 opportunities (pending draw) to see their team play up here, which would be fantastic.
After a few years Bris2 would have a big enough supporter base to compete with the Broncs for the odd Fri night slot and that would free the Broncs for a sunday arvo at home themselves (which would please alot of their supporters).

Atm the handicap the broncs get over the rest of the comp is an absolute joke, and makes this so called "competition" a farce. Consistent 7 day turnarounds, effectively an unlimited salary cap (endless TPAs and huge influence on rep footy selection), the media power to push agendas and sweep controversy under the rug (eg. andrew gee's sudden retirement due to the "missing" 300k) and they have the biggest talent pool by a long way. A 2nd Bris team should help this.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I agree that concept the club represents is far more important than an arbitrary geographic boarder fans are told to care about...

Ive said before, i think the best way to achieve this is to revive the old Brisbane representative team, Brisbane Firsts or BRL United (including an "EST. 1922" just to really stake a claim on being the traditional Brisbane RL team).

The contrast couldnt be more perfect; the community team with a century of history against to corporate blow-in team that killed them. (to REALLY fire up the rivalry, the new team could even have a go at them for being the "NSWRL Broncos" since they wore the NSW badge for their first 7 years of their existance)...

Great idea!

T-Boon

Coach

I just googled the Combined Brisbane team that last played in 1987 and beat the Roosters in an AMCO cup final in 1984. I guess this is the same as Brisbane Firsts. Great team.

Great idea to maximise the Broncos rivalry.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Broncos need strong NRL competition in that city.Two reasons, another club makes you work harder in getting bums on seats and members ,and perhaps offer better pricing deals particularly for families.

Secondly it is plain dumb a city which is supposedly NRL mad, only offers the game to the good citizens fortnightly, giving other codes breathing space.Especially as the other codes' teams are down the rear end of their respective tables.

Imagine our grocery bills, if there was no competition between Woolworths and Coles.
True mate, a second NRL club would slot straight in above the Lions and Reds in the pecking order if done right. if the crushers had survived and we had two Brisbane sides for 22 years both would be struggling even more than now

Perth Red

Post Whore
That thenfrustrating thing about the nrl putting expansion back for at least another 5 years, a second Brisbane team adds significant value to tv and hurts afl and union, a Perth team starts to get the game back to early 90's in terms of the national footprint of the game (plus value to tv of a flexible Ko time). It's a shame we can't capitalise on the games popualrity.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I just googled the Combined Brisbane team that last played in 1987 and beat the Roosters in an AMCO cup final in 1984. I guess this is the same as Brisbane Firsts. Great team.

Great idea to maximise the Broncos rivalry.

Yep, thats the one. Great jumper too...

Joe_Kilroy_-_Combined_Brisbane_1984.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
they could get Wally as the Brisbane Firsts number 1 ticket holder. He would identify more with them rather than the Broncos.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Melbourne are the second Brisbane team. Put a new team in Brissie and if run well the Storm will suffer.

I am ok with that but not sure the nrl is.

axl rose

Bench
It would force Melbane to actually put some time into their own backyard. Which is kind of what they were supposed to do to begin with.

They were a gift from Murdoch to Ribot. As a thanks for winning the super greed war they gave him his own club. They had little purpose other then that, nor since.

I would be concerned about the impact a 2nd club would have on the Titans. Would be harder to sign the likes of Ash Taylor and Jarrod Wallace.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They were a gift from Murdoch to Ribot. As a thanks for winning the super greed war they gave him his own club. They had little purpose other then that, nor since.

I would be concerned about the impact a 2nd club would have on the Titans. Would be harder to sign the likes of Ash Taylor and Jarrod Wallace.

Plus storm are more linked up to central coast area aren't they? Be thankful for Murdochs generosity, the game would look even more parochial without a Melbourne side in the comp. Not to mention the tv audiences would be well below afl and gf's would as well. The interest in nrl in Melbourne is one of the few good things to happen to the game since 1997.

Latest posts