What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name Your NSW Team of the Origin Era

ANTiLAG

First Grade
they were not better than o'connor in 85, 86 or 87 at the origin level.
Gene and one of my all time personal favourites Jacko saw Qld win 87 - where Mick started the 1st two games on the wing. Years ago I got called out on having Jacko in my all time Qld team, and no Renouf, but I'd still prollly have room for Jacko tomorrow.

Snoz as a great player, like Roach or Pearce or Sterling, but not a great regular Origin winner. Daley and Fittler did all, more than once, at all levels.

Ask yourself, would you have take him ahead of Choppy, Gene, Mal or Peter? Losers like Hayne are harder to deny through their brilliance.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You'd have to find room for Daley, but would he make the side based purely on his performances in the centres?

4-5 record, with the 3 wins coming in the one series ('96).
Prolly not. But he played 5/8 a lot too.

Its not like I'm trying to ignore Kenny as an all round player either.

To be honest with you, I feel sorry for Mick, Mary and Hill (even Chris Johns for that matter) and their origin legacies, being squeezed out of centre opps by Daley and Fittler.

But no Qld fan, myself included, ever liked Daley or Fittler in possession of the ball and they were no turnstiles.

myrrh ken

First Grade
david williams

Even though he got steamrolled three times or so by Inglis I reckon he gets an unfair rap. He was good for a while.

Hall and turner had no business being there at all. Merritt put in one of the worst origin performances of all time, very closely followed by Quinn.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
1. Hayne
2. Grothe Snr.
3. Ettingshausen
4. Dayley
5. O'Connor
6. Fitler
7. A. Johns
8. Lazarus
9. Buderus
10. Harragon
11. Fletcher
12. Menzies
13. Clyde

Coach: Gould

Lewis' performance was a complete anomaly though.

Lewis struggled to make an impact at Origin, usually making around 9 runs for 60 odd metres, in that game he made 18 runs for 173m. He never came close to achieving that performance, meanwhile Cordner has consistently replicated his Game I 2016 performance.

'Well only 4 good games...'

If you want to put Ryan Hoffman in the team, by all means. I could even buy into the argument that Hoffman had more quality performances than Cordner and ergo should be in the side. Lewis? Not on Origin form.

In Luke Lewis' 17 game origin career he's started only 5 and I'm not even sure how many of them he's played the full 80 in. So it's wouldn't really be a surprise if he's made under 100 metres a game. Cordner on the other hand played off the bench a few times before 2016 - he was totally ineffective then. In 2016 he played 1 game which is his best to date and in 2017 he played 1 good game as well which was the 1st. In games 2 and 3 he was terrible. To say that he's played a good game based on the metres he's made, especially after being an 80 minute player across all the games is really misleading. A few years back Gallen's stats were also really padded up because he would play the full 80 in the front row. Cordner hasn't done much in origin, guys like Tyson Frizzell and Jake Trbojevic have proved more then Cordner has so far in origin.

Big Pete

Referee
In Luke Lewis' 17 game origin career he's started only 5 and I'm not even sure how many of them he's played the full 80 in. So it's wouldn't really be a surprise if he's made under 100 metres a game. Cordner on the other hand played off the bench a few times before 2016 - he was totally ineffective then. In 2016 he played 1 game which is his best to date and in 2017 he played 1 good game as well which was the 1st. In games 2 and 3 he was terrible. To say that he's played a good game based on the metres he's made, especially after being an 80 minute player across all the games is really misleading. A few years back Gallen's stats were also really padded up because he would play the full 80 in the front row. Cordner hasn't done much in origin, guys like Tyson Frizzell and Jake Trbojevic have proved more then Cordner has so far in origin.

The numbers weren't misleading in Lewis' case. Whether it was through a lack of opportunity or his own inability to make an impact, Lewis wasn't the best backrow for the Blues.

Latest posts