What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
:joy:

Guinness from a can = real deal
Guinness from a bottle = sewer dredge from Lidcombe

Ouch!, I know it's brewed under Licence but it's the same all over the world, it has to be quality or they'll lose the rights to another brewery. After recently consuming a 6 pack of the cans and then comparing it to a 750ml bottle yesterday IMO the bottled Stout was more enjoyable than the canned.

Bazal

Post Whore
Ouch!, I know it's brewed under Licence but it's the same all over the world, it has to be quality or they'll lose the rights to another brewery. After recently consuming a 6 pack of the cans and then comparing it to a 750ml bottle yesterday IMO the bottled Stout was more enjoyable than the canned.

No it's literally a different beer....I disagree that it's shit as SGL says, but it's not the same beer.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
No it's literally a different beer....I disagree that it's shit as SGL says, but it's not the same beer.
Different water, grains, brewery.

Almost impossible to replicate two beers with those differences. Each can still be good beers though.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
the biggest issue with any locally produced version of an imported beer is the water..

even sydney vs melbourne brewed beers of the same label will have their subtle variances..

as much as they can try and re-produce an imported beer at a local brewery, the make up of the local water will screw them over every time..

leigh - you may very well appreciate the bottled guiness more than the canned.. nothing wrong with that.. it's most likely your palate is tuned towards the sydney water..

Bazal

Post Whore
Different water, grains, brewery.

Almost impossible to replicate two beers with those differences. Each can still be good beers though.

Guinness is funny. The canned beer is not a stout. Well, not in the same sense as the bottled stuff.

The bottle is made like a big sweet English stout (Coopers without the bottle ferment). The draught is a proper Irish dry stout. Which is more like a dark ale.

Both are good beers IMO. But the cans win

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Guinness is funny. The canned beer is not a stout. Well, not in the same sense as the bottled stuff.

The bottle is made like a big sweet English stout (Coopers without the bottle ferment). The draught is a proper Irish dry stout. Which is more like a dark ale.

Both are good beers IMO. But the cans win
Funnily enough,, the best Guinness I've had was on tap at the Lithgow hotel.

Bazal

Post Whore
I actually like Murphy's....don't get me wrong, I love Guinness but I find Murphy's more balanced.

I can't actually think of a dark beer I dislike, though.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I can't actually think of a dark beer I dislike, though.
if you can get your hands on one of these, i highly recommend it..

from god's country (victoria)..

kooinda-black-ipa-beer-online-1357601289.jpg

black as night.. bitter as hell... rather strong.. but also really, really smooth..

has rocketed up my list to be one of my favourite 5 all time beers..

Bazal

Post Whore
That looks like good shit.

I loved the old Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (pre pussying out and making a 65 IBU Torpedo clone)....so bitterness I can handle.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
well, next time you're down this way, i'll shout you one..

or next time i'm up your way, i'll bring an extra two for you... (brought some up with me last weekend... pussys i was with couldn't handle more than one..)

Evil Borad

Juniors
Thought I'd share a few of my recent beers:

56598951cce6603634718749b7a9bddf_640x640.jpg

Bacchus Islay Reserve, a massive 16% boozy, peaty beer that was perfectly balanced. I'm glad I've got another bottle to age.

d271ffe18706202431df87d374cc8358_640x640.jpg

Stockade The Mountie Maple Imperial Stout. This beer seems to be quite divisive - some people find the maple taste to be artificial and overbearing. I found it to be spot on, with a nice roasty character balancing the maple. I only wish I bought more than one bottle of this beauty.

dc38fd55e2fa7984f1d2850c00c4abce_640x640.jpg

Omnipollo/Dugges Anagram Blueberry Cheesecake Stout. Yes, Blueberry Cheesecake Stout. This beer tasted exactly how it's described and is my favourite beer of 2017 (so far).

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
the biggest issue with any locally produced version of an imported beer is the water..

even sydney vs melbourne brewed beers of the same label will have their subtle variances..

as much as they can try and re-produce an imported beer at a local brewery, the make up of the local water will screw them over every time..

leigh - you may very well appreciate the bottled guiness more than the canned.. nothing wrong with that.. it's most likely your palate is tuned towards the sydney water..

I live in regional NSW and drink filtered water, they reckon that Adelaide water is crap but I enjoy my Coopers very much, now matter where in the world a brewery is they'll alter the balance, the ph to suit the style of beer, hard water for Ales and soft water for Pilsners

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I live in regional NSW and drink filtered water, they reckon that Adelaide water is crap but I enjoy my Coopers very much, now matter where in the world a brewery is they'll alter the balance, the ph to suit the style of beer, hard water for Ales and soft water for Pilsners
Try brewing a coopers with filtered water from regional nsw..

Will be a completely different beer..

Bazal

Post Whore
Or brew it with water from Canberra and it will taste like a public swimming pool because our water is woeful

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

Water shouldn't be as much of an issue as it seems. Breweries now use reverse osmosis or distilled water and build water profiles from scratch to meet the desired make up of minerals from the overseas source. Even us homebrewers do it now. You can match the water chemistry of just about any source on earth.

It is actually more likely the freshness (or lack thereof) of beer that will make the difference between brewed under licence and imported. That, or some mistakes/variations in the brewing or fermentation process.

Vozzy

Juniors
A tip for those who go to parties and have everyone drink all your beer learn to like dark beers best way.

Found this at Dan Murphys lol
images.jpg

MKEB...

Staff member
nightSpiritBarrel-550.png

Had this beaut. A hint of single malt scotch. And a hint of boubon. Friggen smooth. The stout isnt overpowered by either spirit. This beer is by Kereru. I bought two bottles. One downed last week, the other is a keeper. This is a limited edition beer, only 1300 bottles brewed.

Friggen epic