What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wests Leagues club group will purchase the battling Newcastle Knights from the NRL

The NRL has finally sold the struggling Newcastle Knights in a multi-million dollar deal finalised this afternoon.

The Daily Telegraph understands the purchasers — the thriving Wests Leagues club group which made a $23 million profit last year — will commit up to $10 million to new centre of excellence and a cash injection into grassroots football in the Hunter as part of the agreement.

9630636ba0679aa49df6d7bb535f15a9

Newcastle are staring down the barrel of their third wooden spoon.
The Daily Telegraph understands the new buyers will support coach Nathan Brown, CEO Matt Gidley and their long-term strategy for sustained success.

The sale was predicted in The Daily Telegraph two weeks ago.

MARCH: Latu nearly chose army over footy

GROUNDED: Jet won’t leave Brisbane

Wests Group is a flourishing business with a $143 million turnover that makes regular multi-million dollar profits with assets including six thriving licensed clubs and two accommodation hotels.

b2465a33de61c00f87d355ddee619743

The club’s last owner, Nathan Tinkler, was a disaster.
Earlier this year with potential buyers reluctant to come to the table, even a relocation to Ipswich was one of the options considered.

“We wanted to hold out for the right buyer for the club and for the game,” an NRL source said.

“And we all want the Knights to be owned locally so there is community ownership of the club.”

The NRL will now concentrate on selling the Gold Coast Titans before the end of the season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/56575b63ac317dd8f140ee33f5596277

Swarzey

Bench
Good stuff.

Can finally move forward from a professional standpoint away from the field.

Volcom6685

Juniors
It will be.

Guess we find out how many dickheads there are in Newcastle.
The whole way theyre having the vote is a little strange . They say the ask the members to vote over a certain amount of days at one of the 6 premises . What happens if virtually no one votes ?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So just to clarify this won't be going to the Wests members to vote?

Apparently it is optional and non-binding...

so we will probably only get the super invested nuts on each end of the spectrum

Edit: support v oppose, not disability spectrum (though, thats not really mutually exclusive...)

mozza91

Coach
So as this is a non binding vote I wonder what percentage of noes West would need before they would pull out?

I doubt there would have been members votes every time they took over other venues/ started new businesses

I can remember when we were pushing for a decent club.
Times have changed with TV rights, Cap etc but then you needed the pokies to afford players.
Still a major bonus to develop talent in the region and for staff and facilities and stability.

macavity

Referee
It really is a showdown between Knights supporters and that committed cadre of Knights haters in Newcastle. I am really concerned at how close it might be.

Frederick

Staff member
It really is a showdown between Knights supporters and that committed cadre of Knights haters in Newcastle. I am really concerned at how close it might be.
Considering some of the stuff I've read on social media, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it got voted down my the members