What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fav 80's Saints Player?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Craig Young easily.

I think we played you in a final in the early 1980's. I was there.

The game had just started when the Souths captain ( a strong winger called Ziggy nziscot) flew into the middle and punched Young in the jaw and then I think he ran for his life, young didn't look like he'd felt anything. But the stink, it was on.

We weren't going to beat you with talent, so we chose wanton violence.

Needless to say you weren't intimidated and you won the match.

In those days, the ref checked for a pulse and if he found one, a penalty. Near (white light) or actual death was about the only send off offence. Have a look at those early origin days.

But tbh I preferred the style of Dean Young and his "fullback" style footwork. Amazing talent. Pedigree!
I remember that 1984 semi final of Saints vs Souths. I was sitting or standing at the top left hand corner of the Sheridan Stand with the St George outlaws. The way I recalled, Craig Young uppercutted (if there is such a word) Craig Coleman as he played the ball. Next thing, one of the best all in brawls I have ever seen began. Players were punching on all across the field. I think Graham Wynn was fighting 2 Souths players at once. The St George Outlaws got the St George chant going and we were all cheering like mad. It is one of my fondest memories of being at a game. We went on to win the game too. Souths did have a tough pack back in those day, players like Davidson, Fenech, Tony and Dean Rampling were probably playing that day. The next day the newspapers reported that the crowd was booing the fight. That was BS.

I would love to get a recording of that game. If anyone can direct me as to how or where to find one, it would be much appreciated.

While on the topic of old games. I would like to get a hold of a few or a lot other games from 83 to 85. The St George v Balmain Anzac day at Kogarah game in 84 or 83 is one I would like to get. At this game, at the end of the minute silence, Skull yelled out "Let the war begin", people could hear it from the other side of the ground. We went on to rack up 40 plus points against Balmain that day. Any of the games in 83 when we went on a massive winning streak to make the play off for 5th spot and the play off against Easts I would like. I think it was the last premiership game of 84 we smashed Parra, scoring 30 plus points. I think it was 32. There was another game against Parra around that time, it could have been an Anzac day game at Kogarah, the place was packed to the max. I think crowd was 23 000 or so. People were sitting on top of the toilet blocks, that is another I would like to get. The game against Balmain at Leichardt is another game I would love to watch again. It was a top of the table clash and Leichardt was packed to the max, I am pretty sure the crowd figure was around the 23 000 mark to and that was not counting everyone that jumped the fence. I think a lot of younger fans will have trouble believing that they got 23 000 people into Kogarah or Leichardt. I recall Brookvale oval having crowd of 28 000 or so in the early to mid 1980's too. Probably Many v Parra. Those were good times.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
I remember that 1984 semi final of Saints vs Souths. I was sitting or standing at the top left hand corner of the Sheridan Stand with the St George outlaws. The way I recalled, Craig Young uppercutted (if there is such a word) Craig Coleman as he played the ball. Next thing, one of the best all in brawls I have ever seen began. Players were punching on all across the field. I think Graham Wynn was fighting 2 Souths players at once. The St George Outlaws got the St George chant going and we were all cheering like mad. It is one of my fondest memories of being at a game. We went on to win the game too. Souths did have a tough pack back in those day, players like Davidson, Fenech, Tony and Dean Rampling were probably playing that day. The next day the newspapers reported that the crowd was booing the fight. That was BS.

I would love to get a recording of that game. If anyone can direct me as to how or where to find one, it would be much appreciated.

While on the topic of old games. I would like to get a hold of a few or a lot other games from 83 to 85. The St George v Balmain Anzac day at Kogarah game in 84 or 83 is one I would like to get. At this game, at the end of the minute silence, Skull yelled out "Let the war begin", people could hear it from the other side of the ground. We went on to rack up 40 plus points against Balmain that day. Any of the games in 83 when we went on a massive winning streak to make the play off for 5th spot and the play off against Easts I would like. I think it was the last premiership game of 84 we smashed Parra, scoring 30 plus points. I think it was 32. There was another game against Parra around that time, it could have been an Anzac day game at Kogarah, the place was packed to the max. I think crowd was 23 000 or so. People were sitting on top of the toilet blocks, that is another I would like to get. The game against Balmain at Leichardt is another game I would love to watch again. It was a top of the table clash and Leichardt was packed to the max, I am pretty sure the crowd figure was around the 23 000 mark to and that was not counting everyone that jumped the fence. I think a lot of younger fans will have trouble believing that they got 23 000 people into Kogarah or Leichardt. I recall Brookvale oval having crowd of 28 000 or so in the early to mid 1980's too. Probably Many v Parra. Those were good times.
Thanks, I'm salivating! That quigs will be here soon!

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I'd say with a fair amount of certainty that Larry Cowora had Morris covered for pace.

As Roberts has already rejected overtures to join SGI, It's most unlikely he will change his mind.

I agree Cowora probably did have Slippery for speed, but the nickname Slippery made him so much more exciting to watch.

Dufty today played Slippery style even though the game has evolved in this era, Duffty's try was very Slipperyesque.

Dragon Blood

Juniors

I remember the 84 Semi against Souffs too, I was on the SCG hill with an uncle that was a Bunnies man. When the fight broke out it was all over the field and several different pockets of fights all over the park, seemed like it went on about 20 minutes until the refs took control. Would love to watch a replay in full of that game again. Them were the days when footy was footy and I loved it.

Also does anyone recall a dirty big storm with huge green clouds and hail over the SCG that day?

Frank Facer

First Grade
The camera work didn't give it justice it only focussed on a couple of fight pockets but the fights were all over the field. Haven't seen anything like it even in origin games before they banned the biff. You had to be there, it was crazy.

Souths actually had brawls in 3 consecutive games in 1984. lol First against Canberra in the play off for 5th spot. Then against Manly in the first week of the semis and then against St George, where they got knocked out of the semis.

Check these ones out on Youtube

INSANE FIGHT Newtown and Manly all in brawl.

The Fibro's and the Silvertails. This is a great video, everyone should watch it. I am pretty sure you will all get a laugh out of it too.

Rugby League BBR 1980

If someone would like to provide links that would be even better, but I don't know how to do it.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I remember the 84 Semi against Souffs too, I was on the SCG hill with an uncle that was a Bunnies man. When the fight broke out it was all over the field and several different pockets of fights all over the park, seemed like it went on about 20 minutes until the refs took control. Would love to watch a replay in full of that game again. Them were the days when footy was footy and I loved it.

Also does anyone recall a dirty big storm with huge green clouds and hail over the SCG that day?

As a 12-year-old boy, there are couple of things about this game as though it was yesterday:

1. The aforementioned brawl which (.I agree) seemingly took forever to finish. I had not seen anything like it before or after, it was so vicious. Of course, you knew it was bad when you've got Steve Morris throwing surreptitious 'haymakers' at Ziggy Niszcot.

3. Morris streaking 80 metres down the sideline after Brian Johnson fielded a Bronko Djura 'bomb'. In the excitement, I asked a Souths fan to hold my lunch while I went berserk.

For some unknown reason, he declined.

Frank Facer

First Grade
As a 12-year-old boy, there are couple of things about this game as though it was yesterday:

1. The aforementioned brawl which (.I agree) seemingly took forever to finish. I had not seen anything like it before or after, it was so vicious. Of course, you knew it was bad when you've got Steve Morris throwing surreptitious 'haymakers' at Ziggy Niszcot.

3. Morris streaking 80 metres down the sideline after Brian Johnson fielded a Bronko Djura 'bomb'. In the excitement, I asked a Souths fan to hold my lunch while I went berserk.

For some unknown reason, he declined.
Yeah, I remember that Morris try as well. I was even going to mention it too. They are the 2 moments that I remember in that game too. I would have been 12 years old at the time too. I know that is a lot of too's.

_Johnsy

Referee
No. 1 Steve Morris with out a doubt. First to come to mind was Slippery. I remember smashing his Enmore High team that he coached, then going over and having a chat to him after the game.

I actually forgot about Chris Guider, I remember him as a tiny hooker that was all heart. So yes, special mention to him.

As mentioned in one of my previous posts Slippery had his named written by a supporter in thick black texta on one of the blank sponsor boards attached to the fence back in those days.

Next players that I really enjoyed watching were Walford, Mackay, Jonstone, Johnson Beatie, Rocket Reddy and Young. Special mention to the black Porsche he was an excitement machine.

In summary the only player since Slippery Morris to date that had that speed, exciting to watch in full flight and evasiveness is Jimmy the Jet Roberts. Would love him to come to our rehab club if he is off contract.
I saw a bit of a reminder yesterday.

1st & 10

Juniors

YouTube have a heap of games from that time period, been watching them whilst off injured at work. Just finished watching fibro v silver tails . Love ya Roy Masters

1st & 10

Juniors
Souths actually had brawls in 3 consecutive games in 1984. lol First against Canberra in the play off for 5th spot. Then against Manly in the first week of the semis and then against St George, where they got knocked out of the semis.

Check these ones out on Youtube

INSANE FIGHT Newtown and Manly all in brawl.

The Fibro's and the Silvertails. This is a great video, everyone should watch it. I am pretty sure you will all get a laugh out of it too.

Rugby League BBR 1980

If someone would like to provide links that would be even better, but I don't know how to do it.

What about Steve Mavin's arvo at the SCG in the semi against the Raiders. I remember the poor 19 year old totally shattered. Piggins actually came to the sideline in a furious state before ripping the kid off.

Mavin he since reflected "I left the ground, went the my local and everyone was shocked, telling me to go back to the ground"