What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet speed

Plenty of places in the cities with shit copper or a few km from the local exchange that are still stuck on terrible adsl connections still waiting for the NBN to reach them

I live in the Parramatta region and I was on adsl +2. The unit I live in is within 1.5km from the exchange, so based on location I should have been getting upwards of 17 Megabits/per second download speeds.

Thing is it would vary day by day from 17 Mbps to 7 Mbps, provided I could get a stable connection. ADSL is susceptible to drop outs, but back in April it was getting bad, like dropping in and out 12 times an hour. This was temporarily remedied by replacing my ADSL filters, as the ones I had were over 10 years old, as advised by my then ISP after they got Telstra to check the cable in the street (which was reported to be fine).

When the problems returned, my ISP sent out a technician to look at my connection. When he looked at my set up he reckoned wiring in the wall was an issue. In fact the wall socket the phone and modem were plugged into were replaced as the socket was corroded. Whilst replacing it saw a temporary increase in speed and stability, the tech's report to my ISP was that the main issue was the wiring in the walls was defective and would need to be replaced.

As I rent, and the NBN is due in the first half of 2019, neither I nor my land lord knew how to proceed. Thankfully I had a Foxtel cable in the unit and I'm now with Telstra cable enjoying a 100 Mbps download speed. All they did to install it was put a splitter on the Foxtel connection and run a loose cable around the edge of the living room to my PC.

Whilst it helps me, it also gives the owner time to sort things out for when the NBN rolls out especially with the Owners Corporation as I wouldn't be surprised if the others have crappy copper wiring also considering the age of the building we live in.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Have a feeling the copper wiring might be an issue with me too. Older building, but I can see the exchange from my house so that's not the problem.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Have a feeling the copper wiring might be an issue with me too. Older building, but I can see the exchange from my house so that's not the problem.

Almost guaranteed to be a case of shitty copper somewhere. But it can be anywhere from the phone jack all the way back to the exchange. At least when the NBN arrives everything up to your nearest node (a few hundred metres at most) will get replaced.

justdave

Juniors
Almost guaranteed to be a case of shitty copper somewhere. But it can be anywhere from the phone jack all the way back to the exchange. At least when the NBN arrives everything up to your nearest node (a few hundred metres at most) will get replaced.
Unfortunately 300 m of shitty copper is still 300m of shitty copper.

I've had fttp for years now. Love it. Feel for people who won't get it

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm a couple of km from Sydney CBD and our NBN rollout isn't even due to start til next year. Just as well my ADSL2+ connection is about as good as they get (20MBit sync, about 400m from the exchange)

Incorrect

Coach
I've had fttp for years now. Love it. Feel for people who won't get it

Same, glorious fibre right to my door. It's awesome

What speed plan are you on with your ISP? Am I right in thinking you can opt for a 25, 50 or 100 MB/s plan based on what you want???

Meanwhile, my Dad has a house in Ireland, in the country, semi-rural area, and they can get GB/s broadband speeds there apparently..... Australia aspiring to get to 10% of the performance of other countries - WTF is wrong with us and our attitude towards vital infrastructure? Always taking shortcuts and re-visiting things down the track....

justdave

Juniors
What speed plan are you on with your ISP? Am I right in thinking you can opt for a 25, 50 or 100 MB/s plan based on what you want???

Meanwhile, my Dad has a house in Ireland, in the country, semi-rural area, and they can get GB/s broadband speeds there apparently..... Australia aspiring to get to 10% of the performance of other countries - WTF is wrong with us and our attitude towards vital infrastructure? Always taking shortcuts and re-visiting things down the track....

I started on 100 down but changed to 50/20 to free up some dollars. Solid at about 46 down. It's brilliant. Kids and missus can binge watch, game, homework all at the same time as I stream the footy.

Also, not having a home phone line is great.

My best mate lives in Port Rush Nth Ireland. His internet speed is unreal.

justdave

Juniors
I agree about the taking shortcuts thing. Should have just got f**king on with it.

Again, I do feel for peeps stuck on adsl, cable and fttn

Incorrect

Coach
I agree about the taking shortcuts thing. Should have just got f**king on with it.

Again, I do feel for peeps stuck on adsl, cable and fttn
What is your experience, or anyone else's for that matter, with wifi speeds if you're not in direct line of sight or area of the modem? At the moment, we've got an ADSL 2 modem in the phone socket in the wall of our upstairs living room - when my missus sits in our bedroom on her iPad and tries to stream Netflix, the speed is shithouse, we're probably talking 15 metres from the modem with a couple of walls in the way....

Cartman

Juniors

I originally had 50/20 but upgraded to the 100 MB/s as that plan had unlimited data with it for a couple of bucks extra and at the time I had some relatives living with me for a while so we were smashing the data.

Speed tests are usually in the 80 or 90 range if no one is doing anything, and can have three TV's streaming (Netflix/Stan/NBA League Pass/Youtube) without any issues. Not paying for a home phone I never use is a positive as well.

I was having some issues with WiFi in the bedroom when I was using the PS4 wireless but bought an adaptor to plug into the power point and now run ethernet to it. My house is low set brick, open plan so not too many physical barriers in the way but that bedroom is pretty much on the opposite corner of the house from the router and always seemed to struggle. The speed test on the PS4 is usually around 17 MB/s, streams Netflix no problem whereas before it was freezing and buffering like crazy, and also has the added bonus of not dropping out when someone uses the microwave.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been with Telstra for a decade. Got nbn with them. They said I'd get 100mbps but i only got 50.

So they agreed to let me have the nbn at no extra cost to my existing plan for the next two years. I've always found them to be reliable and reasonable.

Incorrect

Coach
Been with Telstra for a decade. Got nbn with them. They said I'd get 100mbps but i only got 50.

So they agreed to let me have the nbn at no extra cost to my existing plan for the next two years. I've always found them to be reliable and reasonable.
Still at 50Mb/s only ot did they bump it up to 100?? Did they say why you weren't getting the 100Mb/s initially??

justdave

Juniors
What is your experience, or anyone else's for that matter, with wifi speeds if you're not in direct line of sight or area of the modem? At the moment, we've got an ADSL 2 modem in the phone socket in the wall of our upstairs living room - when my missus sits in our bedroom on her iPad and tries to stream Netflix, the speed is shithouse, we're probably talking 15 metres from the modem with a couple of walls in the way....

Sorry for the late reply

IMG_9115.PNG

justdave

Juniors
That's using a netgear AC router from about 10m through bathroom and a fridge.

iPad Air 2

Edit: I forgot to hide location :joy: Everyone come over for a beer!

justdave

Juniors

That's brilliant. I've never had an issue with Telstra either. Just left because they are expensive

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still at 50Mb/s only ot did they bump it up to 100?? Did they say why you weren't getting the 100Mb/s initially??
I was on ADSL, getting around 15mbps. I was told I had to join NBN as ADSL was being phased out. Also told that if I paid some premium fee I could get speeds of 100mbps. So I paid it. My speeds peaked at 54mbps.

I can't recall the reason given, something to do with NBN having not been rolled out in full over the whole area or some such thing.