What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 v Raiders - Match Day Thread

Pommy

Coach
Yeah that's fair. I can't really clarify any of this. I don't mind the odd debate but if there is all that stuff going on then it should definitely stop! It discourages people having their own views which is not what we want on here. We want more posters not less.

It's pretty hard to explain your own views when certain people end every post with .!1!!! and nobody else's opinions are relevant.

themacemaceman

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k/news-story/f31a1ab0d1432ef4f9d4ed9f71ed401d

Here is the link but don't think it will work Rabbit Toes.

Sorry I was wrong as well, AR said Cook is a similar player to Issac were his words...

Your gang hoed into me when I said that months ago yet our premiership winning halfback agrees with me.....
Well AR wasn't exactly going to say in the media he is shit is he .
Cook has shown in the first half he is not worthy of the number 9 jumper. Comparisons with Bully are laughable.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
For the final insult Oldfield scores,anyone who has ever had a dig at shadow for implying that we have a shit team.....take a good hard look at this rabble!
Anyone who has suggested that Maguire has still got a future as our coach...feel free to give yourself a uppercut!
Anyone still think that Chricton will sign a long term contract with us.....get your hand off it!
Gagai will cry at Newcastle again next year on the receiving end of another flogging!

greg jay

Juniors
I don't reckon we should recruit Cronk as an actual player I think we should recruit him as a halves coach. That's something that most of the top clubs have and if we do have a halves coach they're not doing their job. Andrew Johns has done wonders at the roosters.

If they'll release joe Burgess I'll take him in a second.
Love Joe Burgess. Love that dude he is ELECTRIC!!!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
For the final insult Oldfield scores,anyone who has ever had a dig at shadow for implying that we have a shit team.....take a good hard look at this rabble!
Anyone who has suggested that Maguire has still got a future as our coach...feel free to give yourself a uppercut!
Anyone still think that Chricton will sign a long term contract with us.....get your hand off it!
Gagai will cry at Newcastle again next year on the receiving end of another flogging!

cheers mate i have been saying it for so long do i enjoy saying that souths have a shiiit team and the answer is no but as you can see there is a reason why i say this and its because its true thanks for the back up and support itsamansgame what a sad day for rabbitohs fans/members world wide:(...Shadow...

greg jay

Juniors
There is a whole thread I started related to Madge and whether or not he should be replaced

If you think Crowe or Richardson are here looking for answers than send me tickets to the dreamworld you live in

Inglis - stays
Twins - can go if they want, stay on a performance accurate salary. (400000) is around the mark nowadays
Joe burgess - get him if possible
Find a single competent hooker, or give our young guns a chance. the 2 we have aren't working into the team
Get Cronk and let him show our halves how a professional does it right
We shall see On Verra whom lives in the Dreamworld. Maguire's time here as Head Coach has long expired. The Crisps badly need a New Head Coach followed by a Roster Cleansing. Sans that the club is back in the slimy sludge for years to come.

greg jay

Juniors
The crisps are likely to finish the last 9 with at best a 1-8 record. That's horrific and reflects a total collapse. No team can enter an off season with a long term coach who has ended with such a record. It will not work the relationship between Coach and Players is Caput, Finito. Start naming new Head Coach options: Geoff Toovey is surely one name that should be considered. At least he is fiery has intensity and will put a razor through the Old Firm Roster.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Once again we have proven to be our own worst enemies. For all the good work that we do, we continue to make stupid errors. Tonight's blunders mainly came at the defensive end where we let in soft tries. For example, Jarrod Croker's try was the result of a poor defensive read by Hymel Hunt but there were enough men there to surely wrap up Croker. Joseph Tapine's try came as a result of Robert Jennings sticking his leg at the ball; if he wasn't confident in getting there you let it bounce! What you don't do is kick the ball back to the opposition! Adam Reynolds made a poor attempt at a tackle for Nick Cotric's try and George Burgess simply needed to move across to cover up the gap that Luke Bateman ran through. Hence, pretty much every single one of those tries could have been avoided.

In saying that, we weren't without errors offensively. We continue to come up with loose carries at crucial stages, either when we are building pressure or trying to survive it! A case in point were those occasions where Adam Reynolds wasn't able to get his kick away and when he was obstructed by one of his team mates. Those sorts of mistakes kill all momentum and really give the opposition a lift. Speaking of momentum killers I think we have a real case to feel robbed by the referees. Adam Reynolds was hit by a clearly high tackle by Josh Hodgson which left him concussed which the referees some how missed. However, what baffled me was the fact the referees didn't stop the game despite it being a head injury! I can't understand why this was the case as I thought it was standard protocol for the referees to stop the game when those sorts of injuries occur. Subsequently, Canberra made a break because our defensive line was undermanned and Angus Crichton was forced to make a play which saw him sin binned. That sequence changed the entire game!!

It was a real shame because I thought we put together a lot of enterprising sets together in attack. I thought Adam Reynolds did much better with his last tackle options although he is still in this bad habit of grubbering instinctively while defenders are up in his face. Cody Walker was also far more involved and ran at the line on plenty of occasions - something that is imperative if we are going to create scoring opportunities. I also thought the Burgess twins did really well tonight with their carriers and perhaps produced their best games of the season. Finally, Angus Crichton was a real handful and continues to try his guts out. This was never more evident than through his scrambling attempt to save a try which saw him sin binned.

Overall things are just not working out for us. There is only so much that a coach can do and I'm not so sure whether bringing anyone else in will remedy our issues. What I will say is that I don't think Madge is using the best players at his disposal. I'm thinking that John Sutton may need to be dropped with us looking at other back row alternatives. I don't see any reason why Cameron Murray shouldn't be in the starting side as he looks a real live wire when he comes on the field. I hate to say it but Sutton is becoming a liability for us even when he is moved to the back row. I'm also baffled as to why David Tyrell continues to get selected over a promising young front rower in Zane Musgrove? Even bringing in someone like Jack Gosiewski could offer us more impact that some on the players we are currently fielding are.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Canberra's ball game has always been too good for us. They play way too expansive. I labelled this game a loss at the start of the year. Maguire's tactics are well known by some teams. Because he hasn't changed his strategies Canberra know exactly what Souths are gonna play like. Oh well hopefully 2018 is an improvement on this year..

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Once again we have proven to be our own worst enemies. For all the good work that we do, we continue to make stupid errors. Tonight's blunders mainly came at the defensive end where we let in soft tries. For example, Jarrod Croker's try was the result of a poor defensive read by Hymel Hunt but there were enough men there to surely wrap up Croker. Joseph Tapine's try came as a result of Robert Jennings sticking his leg at the ball; if he wasn't confident in getting there you let it bounce! What you don't do is kick the ball back to the opposition! Adam Reynolds made a poor attempt at a tackle for Nick Cotric's try and George Burgess simply needed to move across to cover up the gap that Luke Bateman ran through. Hence, pretty much every single one of those tries could have been avoided.

In saying that, we weren't without errors offensively. We continue to come up with loose carries at crucial stages, either when we are building pressure or trying to survive it! A case in point were those occasions where Adam Reynolds wasn't able to get his kick away and when he was obstructed by one of his team mates. Those sorts of mistakes kill all momentum and really give the opposition a lift. Speaking of momentum killers I think we have a real case to feel robbed by the referees. Adam Reynolds was hit by a clearly high tackle by Josh Hodgson which left him concussed which the referees some how missed. However, what baffled me was the fact the referees didn't stop the game despite it being a head injury! I can't understand why this was the case as I thought it was standard protocol for the referees to stop the game when those sorts of injuries occur. Subsequently, Canberra made a break because our defensive line was undermanned and Angus Crichton was forced to make a play which saw him sin binned. That sequence changed the entire game!!

It was a real shame because I thought we put together a lot of enterprising sets together in attack. I thought Adam Reynolds did much better with his last tackle options although he is still in this bad habit of grubbering instinctively while defenders are up in his face. Cody Walker was also far more involved and ran at the line on plenty of occasions - something that is imperative if we are going to create scoring opportunities. I also thought the Burgess twins did really well tonight with their carriers and perhaps produced their best games of the season. Finally, Angus Crichton was a real handful and continues to try his guts out. This was never more evident than through his scrambling attempt to save a try which saw him sin binned.

Overall things are just not working out for us. There is only so much that a coach can do and I'm not so sure whether bringing anyone else in will remedy our issues. What I will say is that I don't think Madge is using the best players at his disposal. I'm thinking that John Sutton may need to be dropped with us looking at other back row alternatives. I don't see any reason why Cameron Murray shouldn't be in the starting side as he looks a real live wire when he comes on the field. I hate to say it but Sutton is becoming a liability for us even when he is moved to the back row. I'm also baffled as to why David Tyrell continues to get selected over a promising young front rower in Zane Musgrove? Even bringing in someone like Jack Gosiewski could offer us more impact that some on the players we are currently fielding are.

All of Souths premiership veterans have taken a significant slide since 2014. Except Surgess and AJ..

doyen

Bench
Cook shouldn't be anywhere near first grade and Madge for picking him.

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for COOK.
He basically has no idea of a No.9s role---he's dreadful,to say the least!!
He utterly lacks the vision for a key position---Oh,goodness,he's so bad!!
I also believe he's too soft to be in the engine-room.
Really & truly--he should NOT be in 1st grade.

That ghastly habit he has of dancing & prancing to the line then doing a U-turn is a dead give-away of his unwillingness to take on the line.
He is a lost cause & I can't really see any hope of him improving.
His two opponents tonight in Hodgson & Baptiste are far,far superior--Hodgson,in particular,takes the line on with without fear!

Liberate Souths

Juniors

Class post, thanks.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Unless Madge brings us a premiership next season. It must be his final season at Souths.

He's without a hope.

The biggest club in Sydney is collapsing in on itself and our management are asleep... if not promoting the decline.

Haven't met any members interested in another year of rugby league supporter hell on earth. That bunnie sticker says " I am a dickhead for putting up with this."

If Madge stays, we might beat the tigers in a pre season when they are using Epping 3rd grade players. Then wait for 2030 or something.

The whole shows fugged as far as the eye can see.

But no other klub worthy of supporting I guess.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Canberra's ball game has always been too good for us. They play way too expansive. I labelled this game a loss at the start of the year. Maguire's tactics are well known by some teams. Because he hasn't changed his strategies Canberra know exactly what Souths are gonna play like. Oh well hopefully 2018 is an improvement on this year..
Canberra's game plan is pretty obvious too - all they do is overload their flanks and attack through their big outside backs. That is part of the reason why they haven't been as successful as last year - because teams have found them out. Our problems are down to execution, not tactics. Many of our set pieces are sound and we lay a good platform through our forwards, its just that we cannot convert this dominance into points. I think a lot of this comes about through not having a commanding presence in the halves.

On a different note, Madge blew up in the press conference about play not being stopped for Adam Reynolds head injury and rightly so. To be honest I'm really surprised that more hasn't been made of it considering that it completely changed the game for us.

souths_reborn

Juniors
He's without a hope.

The biggest club in Sydney is collapsing in on itself and our management are asleep... if not promoting the decline.

Haven't met any members interested in another year of rugby league supporter hell on earth. That bunnie sticker says " I am a dickhead for putting up with this."

If Madge stays, we might beat the tigers in a pre season when they are using Epping 3rd grade players. Then wait for 2030 or something.

The whole shows fugged as far as the eye can see.

But no other klub worthy of supporting I guess.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: who are we going to replace him with? Its all well and good talking about replacing the coach but there aren't too many better options out there. If Des Hasler becomes available then maybe he might be an alternative but aside from him who else is there? I haven't heard any names being mentioned on here by those advocating his removal. Also, the thing is that if we make a change there is always the possibility that we could end up in a worse predicament than where we are now. At present we have problems but I wouldn't say we have major problems. The last thing you want to do at this stage is create more instability by bringing a coach who isn't as accomplished as Madge.

Latest posts