What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 v Raiders - Match Day Thread

Liberate Souths

Juniors
I've said this before and I'll say it again: who are we going to replace him with? Its all well and good talking about replacing the coach but there aren't too many better options out there. If Des Hasler becomes available then maybe he might be an alternative but aside from him who else is there? I haven't heard any names being mentioned on here by those advocating his removal. Also, the thing is that if we make a change there is always the possibility that we could end up in a worse predicament than where we are now. At present we have problems but I wouldn't say we have major problems. The last thing you want to do at this stage is create more instability by bringing a coach who isn't as accomplished as Madge.

Third last with a team thats getting worse not better. I call that "major problems"

Liberate Souths

Juniors
souths have a shiiit team ....Cull my dud list ASAP ....p.s. no one is laughing at old shadow now . Just ask itsamansgame .

i agree but with different expression.

I agreed last year and we all saw the sun setting in 2015.

We don't have a competitive side and the way things are heading look like we won't have one for another 43 years....FACT....

Fed up. I know Souths people who won't even talk about us anymore. Tuned out completely.

Blood everywhere, whatever it takes!

Curns13

Juniors
WHAT THE f**k IS THE DEAL WITH PEOPLE POSTING 'FACT' AFTER EVERY POST? DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT A FACT IS? THESE ARE OPINIONS, STOP CALLING THEM FACTS!!! GO BACK TO YEAR 3 AND LEARN THE DIFFERENCE!

themacemaceman

Juniors
Canberra's game plan is pretty obvious too - all they do is overload their flanks and attack through their big outside backs. That is part of the reason why they haven't been as successful as last year - because teams have found them out. Our problems are down to execution, not tactics. Many of our set pieces are sound and we lay a good platform through our forwards, its just that we cannot convert this dominance into points. I think a lot of this comes about through not having a commanding presence in the halves.

On a different note, Madge blew up in the press conference about play not being stopped for Adam Reynolds head injury and rightly so. To be honest I'm really surprised that more hasn't been made of it considering that it completely changed the game for us.
A fair point about the Reynolds high shot but to be honest Madge needed to blow up. His jobs on the line.
If the call went our way I'm sure we would of found another way to lose the game anyway.

callmack1

Staff member
God tonight was dour. Just really, really dour and awful from us. Can this season get any worse? We were our own worst enemies tonight. After such a good start we threw it away (as has been the case for much of the season) with sloppy play, poor errors and penalties. Some of the finishes to the set were terrible and it's just not good enough!! We gifted the Raiders field position in every set for a while there and they pounced. The game was over around thirty minutes in. Thank god they were a bit off too or it would have been real ugly. From then on we were never in it.

There was no passion out there at all! Where has it gone? Apart from a few players, there's just no heart, no pride, no spirit, no passion, no enthusiasim. As a result it looked like we were playing in slow motion.

Our attack is not great at all. We have no problem making good metres and getting into an attacking position but we can't do shit after that. It's so clunky and predictable. It seems we can never score tries from actually out smarting the defence with a nice set play anymore, the only way we can score is if the defence stuffs up, we score from a kick or we get lucky. Souths are just really sorry to watch atm and it's really starting to piss me off.

Johnston: Looked a little shaky, he let a few balls bounce and didn't quite look comfortable back there. His running game was okay but not the best. It was good to see him bag another try which sees him stay as the top try scorer.

Goodwin: One of our best. He did make a few errors but he was amazing coming out of our own end, some really great runs which saw him finish with over 100m I think. He showed real heart and never stopped trying. Almost scored a try but the one we set up for AJ was sick. Defensively he was solid too.

Fuimaono:A bit quiet which was a shame. Tyrell is an attacking weapon but we don't seem to use him enough! He didn't come in enough to do work and he barely saw the ball all night. The few runs he had were powerful and he makes good metres. Cool to see him get his first try.

Hunt: Average tbh. Made many errors in both attack and defence. I can forgive the one where he almost scored but not some of the others. They really put us under a lot of pressure. He made errors in defence too which is not like him, this lead to Crokers try. He also needs to to more work (like I have been saying for weeks about most of our outside backs).

Jennngs: Not much to say because to be fair, he didn't do an awful lot. He had one good run but that was about it sadly. No idea what he was doing when he just stuck that leg out which lead to one of their tries.

Walker: Was good. He looks much better at 5/8 as he looked dangerous every time he touched the ball. His try was brilliant and he did create a few opportunities, it's just a shame some of those around him didn't turn up. Cody was one of our best imo.

Reynolds: Rocks and diamonds but overall was dissapointing. Put a few very nice kicks into the in-goal (some of which lead to tries) and he did take the line on a bit which was good to see. Other than that he was disappointing. Really crap long range kicking game and I thought he looked very lethargic all game, you could see it in his body language. Defence was an issue for him too as it has for the last few weeks. I really hope our little general can lift.

T.Burgess: Solid. Had a good work rate and made some strong carries. Him and George seem to be improving which is good. Apart from beng slow to get back a few times, his defence was pretty good to. Just need him to be more aggressive like Musgrove is.

Cook: Very poor it has to be said. he had an opportunity but didn't take it at all. His running game was almost non-exsistant and he didn't spark us at all. Cook's service out of dummy half was bad and so many passes didn't meet the mark, this was prehaps why the last play options were so bad. I expected more from him and it's starting to get a little frustrating as he never seems to take these opportunities this year and I feel we're gonna be stuck with Farah.

Tyrrell: Look, I love the guy but seriously, why is he still there? He did 5/8's of f**k all! And yet Musgrove, who has been awesome lately, was over looked. FFS!

Sutton: Very quiet. Has a strong running game but we didn't see much of him tonight. Needs to lift big time.

Crichton: Was good. As always, tried his guts out and was one of our best. His ability to evade tackles is amazing.

S.Burgess: Why did he play? I'm really pissed off that he played tbh. Yes, he's our leader and our best player but theres no way he was fit at all. After every tackle he was up slowly and his workrate dropped off dramatically. To make it worse, it appears he has further damaged his ribs. One tough bloke but shouldn't have played.

Farah: Disappointing. Didn't really offer much at all.

Turner: Was good. Kyles been decent since returning and he's made an impact every time he came on. Made some great runs and looked really enthusiastic.

Murray: Quiet. I can't recall him having a run at all. His defence was solid though. Kid has big wraps on him and I want to see more.

G.Burgess: Was good. Had good impact and his leg drive seems to have returned. He tried really hard and he's slowly improving.

I'm disappointed big time. I thought we'd go toe to toe with Canberra but we dished up that.

I think this highlights that a change of coach is needed.

Sorry to be so negative, I'm usually really positive as you guys know but i'm struggling to see a bright side to that performance.

Just one of those seasons I guess.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
souths have a shiiit team ....Cull my dud list ASAP ....p.s. no one is laughing at old shadow now . Just ask itsamansgame .
Shadow
I've had enough mate,I'm actually starting to dislike our whole organisation.
As I've stated previously I believe our owners and management are arrogant pricks,they explain FA to the members,make absolutely nobody accountable for their failings and give members nothing to feel confident about in the future.
Yet these pricks still expect us to fork out our hard earned on memberships and shove countless numbers of merchandise down our throats and have the hide to move our home games to other states.
You won't hear Richardson quoting how shithouse our season has been all you will hear is we have managed to make a profit without the help of a leagues club.
Well at who's expense....Ours you arrogant prick!!!
Bring back our Rabbitohs,all I can see at the moment they are pushing them further away!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Canberra's game plan is pretty obvious too - all they do is overload their flanks and attack through their big outside backs. That is part of the reason why they haven't been as successful as last year - because teams have found them out. Our problems are down to execution, not tactics. Many of our set pieces are sound and we lay a good platform through our forwards, its just that we cannot convert this dominance into points. I think a lot of this comes about through not having a commanding presence in the halves.

On a different note, Madge blew up in the press conference about play not being stopped for Adam Reynolds head injury and rightly so. To be honest I'm really surprised that more hasn't been made of it considering that it completely changed the game for us.

I disagree Souths reborn. Yes our execution is poor but you know why that is? We literally bash and barge until the 5th set doing silly one-out plays and then rely on Reynolds to produce a miracle from his foot. Our biggest threat is Reynolds boot. We're not producing threats through the middle or threats outwide. Our line breaks were 1-10... we are honestly a side that lacks attack but at the same time our defence is just as terrible. I don't even know how to fix this team all I know is that we need to get rid of the players who aren't putting in the effort. A lot of our young kids have been the bright light this year. Fuimaono, Crichton, Murray, musgrove have all been some of our best players whilst sutton, AR, Tyrrell have been some of our worst.

This whole power game would work if
1. The twins, Sam and Crichton weren't the only ones making metres.
2. We didn't make so many silly errors.

We literally play the power game with such soft forwards it makes no sense..

souths_reborn

Juniors
Third last with a team thats getting worse not better. I call that "major problems"
You have to look at the performances as opposed to simply our table position. Yes we have played badly but the problems within our team aren't terminal and we aren't that far away from turning it around. We've finished third last and even higher in previous seasons and have actually been playing worse footy that what we are now.

doyen

Bench
I disagree Souths reborn. Yes our execution is poor but you know why that is? We literally bash and barge until the 5th set doing silly one-out plays and then rely on Reynolds to produce a miracle from his foot. Our biggest threat is Reynolds boot. We're not producing threats through the middle or threats outwide. Our line breaks were 1-10... we are honestly a side that lacks attack but at the same time our defence is just as terrible. I don't even know how to fix this team all I know is that we need to get rid of the players who aren't putting in the effort. A lot of our young kids have been the bright light this year. Fuimaono, Crichton, Murray, musgrove have all been some of our best players whilst sutton, AR, Tyrrell have been some of our worst.

Totally agree with you--our 3 tries were from arsey kicks--one scored by Wighton!!

We didn't really look like scoring a conventional team try.

The Raiders,however,ran roughshod over our forwards--they scored 5 pretty good team tries which didn't rely on the "Hail Mary" kick!! We are basically pathetic--as usual,we weren't prepared to open up & be at all adventurous!!
We need a different coach--I don't care who--I'll do it!!
It doesn't matter who!!!!!!!!!!
BTW,what we are playing aint RL Sths Reborn!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Totally agree with you--our 3 tries were from arsey kicks--one scored by Wighton!!

We didn't really look like scoring a conventional team try.

The Raiders,however,ran roughshod over our forwards--they scored 5 pretty good team tries which didn't rely on the "Hail Mary" kick!! We are basically pathetic--as usual,we weren't prepared to open up & be at all adventurous!!
We need a different coach--I don't care who--I'll do it!!
It doesn't matter who!!!!!!!!!!
BTW,what we are playing aint RL Sths Reborn!!

You can't just rely on your 5th tackle option being your only threat. It's getting ridiculous. Whatever happened to spreading the ball across the park. Looking for gaps in the opposition defence and exposing them. Joseph Leilua is a terrible defender yet we failed to abuse that! I'll give Madge the benefit of the doubt this year. He has had bad luck with injuries.. but if it's the same shit next year then I'm done with him as a coach.

souths_reborn

Juniors

This whole "bash and barge" style that we supposedly play is a myth. The only time we really bash and barge is when we have possession in our own half, which has been quite often due to the amount of ball that we turn over. Basically we are not doing anything different to what any of the other teams are doing when inside their own halves. Once we are in our opponents half then we start playing more expansively albeit not very successfully. I think what you guys are craving is a half who takes the ball to the line and has a bit of footwork. Cody Walker can do that and that is why we look most threatening when he is only the ball. As I've said before he needs to increase his involvement to the same extent that Jarryd Hayne did at Parramatta. Basically, you want him to be a ball hog because he is such a good footballer. .

I'm also sick of hearing that the players aren't putting in effort. That's rubbish! Of course they are putting in effort! If you watch our game it is clear that our errors are coming from a lack of concentration and organisation rather than application. Remember, we are in a competition and someone has to finish at the bottom of the ladder whether they are trying or not. My point is that just because we are 13th doesn't mean that we aren't trying.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
This whole "bash and barge" style that we supposedly play is a myth. The only time we really bash and barge is when we have possession in our own half, which has been quite often due to the amount of ball that we turn over. Basically we are not doing anything different to what any of the other teams are doing when inside their own halves. Once we are in our opponents half then we start playing more expansively albeit not very successfully. I think what you guys are craving is a half who takes the ball to the line and has a bit of footwork. Cody Walker can do that and that is why we look most threatening when he is only the ball. As I've said before he needs to increase his involvement to the same extent that Jarryd Hayne did at Parramatta. Basically, you want him to be a ball hog because he is such a good footballer. .

I'm also sick of hearing that the players aren't putting in effort. That's rubbish! Of course they are putting in effort! If you watch our game it is clear that our errors are coming from a lack of concentration and organisation rather than application. Remember, we are in a competition and someone has to finish at the bottom of the ladder whether they are trying or not. My point is that just because we are 13th doesn't mean that we aren't trying.

It's not a myth though. We refuse to go anywhere but up the middle. We won't spread the ball, we won't through cut out passes we literally just go through the middle. Defending against Souths is easy because you know their only threat is gonna be a bomb on the 5th tackle. Otherwise defending against our props is like defending against pillows.

Yes walker is our biggest threat and yes he needs to be more involved but so does AJ. We need to find a way to involve all of our fast players. Look at the storm and the way they involve slater through inside passes, offloads, kicks. It's dynamic footy and it works in the modern game. Every other team plays better footy than Souths do probably except for the Bulldogs which is ironic as they are my 2nd team.

We've relied far too much on Inglis in the past too finish our set plays and is probably why we invested in Gagai. But 1 linebreak? That's not good enough. It's as simple as that.

Rabbits20

Immortal
God tonight was dour. Just really, really dour and awful from us. Can this season get any worse? We were our own worst enemies tonight. After such a good start we threw it away (as has been the case for much of the season) with sloppy play, poor errors and penalties. Some of the finishes to the set were terrible and it's just not good enough!! We gifted the Raiders field position in every set for a while there and they pounced. The game was over around thirty minutes in. Thank god they were a bit off too or it would have been real ugly. From then on we were never in it.

There was no passion out there at all! Where has it gone? Apart from a few players, there's just no heart, no pride, no spirit, no passion, no enthusiasim. As a result it looked like we were playing in slow motion.

Our attack is not great at all. We have no problem making good metres and getting into an attacking position but we can't do shit after that. It's so clunky and predictable. It seems we can never score tries from actually out smarting the defence with a nice set play anymore, the only way we can score is if the defence stuffs up, we score from a kick or we get lucky. Souths are just really sorry to watch atm and it's really starting to piss me off.

Johnston: Looked a little shaky, he let a few balls bounce and didn't quite look comfortable back there. His running game was okay but not the best. It was good to see him bag another try which sees him stay as the top try scorer.

Goodwin: One of our best. He did make a few errors but he was amazing coming out of our own end, some really great runs which saw him finish with over 100m I think. He showed real heart and never stopped trying. Almost scored a try but the one we set up for AJ was sick. Defensively he was solid too.

Fuimaono:A bit quiet which was a shame. Tyrell is an attacking weapon but we don't seem to use him enough! He didn't come in enough to do work and he barely saw the ball all night. The few runs he had were powerful and he makes good metres. Cool to see him get his first try.

Hunt: Average tbh. Made many errors in both attack and defence. I can forgive the one where he almost scored but not some of the others. They really put us under a lot of pressure. He made errors in defence too which is not like him, this lead to Crokers try. He also needs to to more work (like I have been saying for weeks about most of our outside backs).

Jennngs: Not much to say because to be fair, he didn't do an awful lot. He had one good run but that was about it sadly. No idea what he was doing when he just stuck that leg out which lead to one of their tries.

Walker: Was good. He looks much better at 5/8 as he looked dangerous every time he touched the ball. His try was brilliant and he did create a few opportunities, it's just a shame some of those around him didn't turn up. Cody was one of our best imo.

Reynolds: Rocks and diamonds but overall was dissapointing. Put a few very nice kicks into the in-goal (some of which lead to tries) and he did take the line on a bit which was good to see. Other than that he was disappointing. Really crap long range kicking game and I thought he looked very lethargic all game, you could see it in his body language. Defence was an issue for him too as it has for the last few weeks. I really hope our little general can lift.

T.Burgess: Solid. Had a good work rate and made some strong carries. Him and George seem to be improving which is good. Apart from beng slow to get back a few times, his defence was pretty good to. Just need him to be more aggressive like Musgrove is.

Cook: Very poor it has to be said. he had an opportunity but didn't take it at all. His running game was almost non-exsistant and he didn't spark us at all. Cook's service out of dummy half was bad and so many passes didn't meet the mark, this was prehaps why the last play options were so bad. I expected more from him and it's starting to get a little frustrating as he never seems to take these opportunities this year and I feel we're gonna be stuck with Farah.

Tyrrell: Look, I love the guy but seriously, why is he still there? He did 5/8's of f**k all! And yet Musgrove, who has been awesome lately, was over looked. FFS!

Sutton: Very quiet. Has a strong running game but we didn't see much of him tonight. Needs to lift big time.

Crichton: Was good. As always, tried his guts out and was one of our best. His ability to evade tackles is amazing.

S.Burgess: Why did he play? I'm really pissed off that he played tbh. Yes, he's our leader and our best player but theres no way he was fit at all. After every tackle he was up slowly and his workrate dropped off dramatically. To make it worse, it appears he has further damaged his ribs. One tough bloke but shouldn't have played.

Turner: Was good. Kyles been decent since returning and he's made an impact every time he came on. Made some great runs and looked really enthusiastic.

Murray: Quiet. I can't recall him having a run at all. His defence was solid though. Kid has big wraps on him and I want to see more.

G.Burgess: Was good. Had good impact and his leg drive seems to have returned. He tried really hard and he's slowly improving.

I'm disappointed big time. I thought we'd go toe to toe with Canberra but we dished up that.

Sorry to be so negative, I'm usually really positive as you guys know but i'm struggling to see a bright side to that performance.

I agree with most of that except Turner...

He let Dave Taylor through with a sloppy attempt at tackle and he didn't make enough metres......

Snooker

Juniors
I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for COOK.
He basically has no idea of a No.9s role---he's dreadful,to say the least!!
He utterly lacks the vision for a key position---Oh,goodness,he's so bad!!
I also believe he's too soft to be in the engine-room.
Really & truly--he should NOT be in 1st grade.

That ghastly habit he has of dancing & prancing to the line then doing a U-turn is a dead give-away of his unwillingness to take on the line.
He is a lost cause & I can't really see any hope of him improving.
His two opponents tonight in Hodgson & Baptiste are far,far superior--Hodgson,in particular,takes the line on with without fear!

I don't quite understand Madge's persistence in sticking with Cook as he is a hindrance. He has no game management and cannot even pass the footy. The attack looks very clunky as a result and i think you hit the nail on head with words lost cause. He's not a hooker. Period.
On the other hand Farah is an origin hooker and is signed for another year and nobody controls a game better than him.

truthslayer

Juniors

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
WHAT THE f**k IS THE DEAL WITH PEOPLE POSTING 'FACT' AFTER EVERY POST? DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT A FACT IS? THESE ARE OPINIONS, STOP CALLING THEM FACTS!!! GO BACK TO YEAR 3 AND LEARN THE DIFFERENCE!

oi Curns13 just relax mate ....Shadow:cool:...Maybe its a new trend mate its just people getting their point across some people just express themselves in different ways for instance i say souths have a shiiit team . Am i right or wrong? i know i am right then i have said sack the players on my dud list FACT AGAIN am i right yes i am right.We are all very passionate souths fans/members and i might express myself differently than others but i tell the FACTS and the facts are the facts am i wrong??we have a shiiit team are we all happy no we are not FACT AGAIN.....CYA MATE ENJOY YOUR SUNDAY LIFE IS GREAT BUT SOUTHS HAVE A SHIIIT TEAM FACT!!..Shadow...

Last edited:

Latest posts