What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Bench
Sporting News has stated that a Saints junior is in trouble. The player was in trouble previously but was swept under the rug

Gareth67

First Grade
They have made it known they will wait.

I am thinking Millward really doesn't have any idea who he actually wants or if he will actually find anyone.

Yes , he did mention that . If he could sign someone similar to Vaughan , plenty of ticker and approximately of a similar age and with leadership skills , I would be more then satisfied . Such an individual would be a most worthwhile investment for the Joint Ventures future .

Yes , he did mention that . If he could sign someone similar to Vaughan , but with leadership skills , I would be more then satisfied .
I think they will find it difficult to find anyone at present.

The concerning thing was Sele was mentioned as a prop which he isn't and Kerr wasn't mentioned at all.

Hind looks like he will be moved on also.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think they will find it difficult to find anyone at present.

The concerning thing was Sele was mentioned as a prop which he isn't and Kerr wasn't mentioned at all.

Hind looks like he will be moved on also.

That is sad to say the least . Kerr has been with us now for 2 seasons (?) yet has not made his 1st grade debut . Many believed that he was very close , only needed the opportunity , but that did not eventuate .
But another example of leaving players with so much promise languishing in the lower grades . Perhaps if given the chance , he may had matured as a player far more quickly . But alas , under Mary that will never be the case .
Must call an end to the evening , eyes are not what they once were .

Bench
That is sad to say the least . Kerr has been with us now for 2 seasons (?) yet has not made his 1st grade debut . Many believed that he was very close , only needed the opportunity , but that did not eventuate .
But another example of leaving players with so much promise languishing in the lower grades . Perhaps if given the chance , he may had matured as a player far more quickly . But alas , under Mary that will never be the case .
Must call an end to the evening , eyes are not what they once were .
A prime example is Vaughan. Did not get a start with the raiders, comes to us and has developed as one of the best props going around.

Gareth67

First Grade
I believe that this is worth a bit of a mention , just a bit of shop talk from the boys at Foxtel Sports . The Tigers would be very interested in resigning Aaron Woods , should the Bulldogs be forced to release him due to the 2018 salary cap constraints .

Just where in the name of all tooth fairys are they getting the money from ? ? ? They have been on a signing spree very similar to my once a year visit to Gowings ! And mind you , I just about break the bank doing it , so I ask again , just what is going on here ? How could they possibly afford him ?

Of course , if our man Millward had his thinking cap on , plus , money still in the Dragons bank account . . . . .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
11 clubs are reportedly over the estimated salary cap figure. Good times ahead.
The NRL is an absolute joke with clowns running it.
I suspect many players that think they are changing clubs at seasons end might be in for a rude shock and many players that thought they were safe at a club might be in for an even bigger shock.
Time to get all the dirty washing out once and for all.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The NRL is an absolute joke with clowns running it.
I suspect many players that think they are changing clubs at seasons end might be in for a rude shock and many players that thought they were safe at a club might be in for an even bigger shock.
Time to get all the dirty washing out once and for all.

I understand where you're coming from. I don't understand how it's taken so long to release a salary cap figure? Is it really that difficult to come up with a number?

A lot of clubs refuse to continue negotiations with players because of the fact that the figure hasn't been released. If it's true and players are going to have to be shedded from clubs, what happens if some players are left out to dry? NRL has really f**ked this one up by taking so long..

Old Timer

Coach
I understand where you're coming from. I don't understand how it's taken so long to release a salary cap figure? Is it really that difficult to come up with a number?

A lot of clubs refuse to continue negotiations with players because of the fact that the figure hasn't been released. If it's true and players are going to have to be shedded from clubs, what happens if some players are left out to dry? NRL has really f**ked this one up by taking so long..
I think the delay in the number comes from the NRL already knowing most clubs are already over but not knowing the extent of it due to back ended contracts.
Once the NRL have the correct numbers as to the overs, then they will crunch a number just above or below it in an effort to minimise the damage.
Obviously the big clubs will get latitude and the little guys will have to shed which ultimately makes the dominant clubs even more so and the stragglers will fall even further behind which will give the NRL the chance to move franchises interstate which is the ultimate game plan.

denis preston

First Grade
In an article on Foxsports, the clubs that were mentioned as having space to move in their cap were Saints, Warriors, Newcastle, and Wests. It may be good for us, but it may not be that good for Souths.
Well then , Millward being patient and playing the waiting game may turn out a masterstroke !

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Well then , Millward being patient and playing the waiting game may turn out a masterstroke !

I think it was brilliant.
Early on this year in previous recruitment updates, Millward was always saying that the final cap figure was so up in the air and they didn't want to risk being over it, so they played it safe.
Other teams overestimated and went for the spend spend spend option which is now going to bite them in the ass. That's where we come in and pick up the bargains.

It's actually f**king brilliant.

Old Timer

Coach
I think it was brilliant.
Early on this year in previous recruitment updates, Millward was always saying that the final cap figure was so up in the air and they didn't want to risk being over it, so they played it safe.
Other teams overestimated and went for the spend spend spend option which is now going to bite them in the ass. That's where we come in and pick up the bargains.

It's actually f**king brilliant.
Don't you think that clubs will clean out all the journeymen and hold onto the marquis players?
I suspect there will be lots of juniors promoted in squads and all the fringe players will be exposed to horse trading or the prospects of ESL.
For instance if the Dogs can't take Woods or Foran would we want to I hardly think so.