What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we learn something from super rugby?

Perth Red

Post Whore
One thing that can be learnt from Yawnion is to just put off making a bad decision forever....

Still no news on which team is getting the chop...

That's because legally they are screwed. All the clubs have a license to play on, the aru can't just tell one of them to shut up shop without a massive pay out, and even then the club could still refuse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
D Day looming for western force with court case due to be heard next week. Force claiming they have a license till 2020, ARU claiming the sanzar vote to reduce teams and smaller tv deal nullifies this agreement. Going to come down to legal teams me thinks. Rebels allegedly being signed over to VRU suggests Force are gone unless they can win the court case.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...und-super-rugby-survival-battle-ng-b88547480z

flippikat

Bench
D Day looming for western force with court case due to be heard next week. Force claiming they have a license till 2020, ARU claiming the sanzar vote to reduce teams and smaller tv deal nullifies this agreement. Going to come down to legal teams me thinks. Rebels allegedly being signed over to VRU suggests Force are gone unless they can win the court case.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...und-super-rugby-survival-battle-ng-b88547480z

In which case, the NRL should jump at the opportunity to fill the void. Even if it means 17 teams for a year or two, before team 18 joins with the next TV deal getting 9 games per weekend.

Time for dithing over expansion is long gone.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At the very least they should be straight on to the wa government to start planning for an nrl club with some sweeteners of a min 3 nrl games at nib each year until a club is admitted. Govt owns nib, pumped $125mill into its rebuild and now has a white elephant with a poor aleague club as its only tennant if Force get booted.

If I was nrl I'd be saying to wa govt,
build a hq for nrlwa
Support rl in wa schools
Back the WC Pirates

And we'll give you a top code tennant for nib in three years time.

taipan

Referee
In which case, the NRL should jump at the opportunity to fill the void. Even if it means 17 teams for a year or two, before team 18 joins with the next TV deal getting 9 games per weekend.

Time for dithing over expansion is long gone.

Provided the money is there to do it,I'm all for it.I'm against spending money you don't have that's all.

Zadar

Juniors
At the very least they should be straight on to the wa government to start planning for an nrl club with some sweeteners of a min 3 nrl games at nib each year until a club is admitted. Govt owns nib, pumped $125mill into its rebuild and now has a white elephant with a poor aleague club as its only tennant if Force get booted.

If I was nrl I'd be saying to wa govt,
build a hq for nrlwa
Support rl in wa schools
Back the WC Pirates

And we'll give you a top code tennant for nib in three years time.

They can take that rabble from NZ and plonk them there.

Can't believe some people are even suggesting a second team for NZ.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They can take that rabble from NZ and plonk them there.

Can't believe some people are even suggesting a second team for NZ.
I actually agree with you at the moment about the second NZ team. I used to think it was a good idea but the Warriors and Kiwis are the most frustrating teams in the game at a time when we should be moving along in leaps and bounds in NZ.

Leave the Warriors there but NZ 2 has slipped down the pecking order for me. Perth, Brisbane 2 and then we'll look at Adelaide and NZ 2 when both areas are ready for it

Perth Red

Post Whore
I actually agree with you at the moment about the second NZ team. I used to think it was a good idea but the Warriors and Kiwis are the most frustrating teams in the game at a time when we should be moving along in leaps and bounds in NZ.

Leave the Warriors there but NZ 2 has slipped down the pecking order for me. Perth, Brisbane 2 and then we'll look at Adelaide and NZ 2 when both areas are ready for it

Maybe if the ARLC supported the nzrl instead of just raping them for tv money and players for Australian teams we would see more development in nz?

flippikat

Bench
Maybe if the ARLC supported the nzrl instead of just raping them for tv money and players for Australian teams we would see more development in nz?

I wouldn't put it that drastically, but it *is* hard for us to compete with the money, opportunities & lifestyle that Australia offers our players.

The Warriors have always performed best when there's a decent Aussie coach in charge, bolstered with some solid Aussie forwards to give our pack the attitude to stay in the grind. We need to change our "we can do it all on our own" attitude - especially in coaching.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes, I agree with you there. Everything should be done that can reasonably be done to develop NZ and the Pacific Islands. I know that the NRL is Australia's domestic competition and that there is a school of thought that they should just look after their own backyard, but I don't buy that argument, what is good for the game as a whole will flow on to be good for the NRL.

On the field though (which is where my frustration comes in) I think at times though the NZ players need to show much more passion for the national jersey and the Warriors players in their club jersey (they have the national spine and still look likely to miss the finals!!!) The Kiwis have a professional pool big enough to compete with the Kangaroos in every game, what seems to be lacking in some of their games is passion and committment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The arbitration hearing that could decide the Super Rugby future of Western Force has ended after two days.

The hearing was held behind closed doors in Sydney but a decision is not expected to be handed down until next week.

The hearing was the next stage in the legal battle launched by RugbyWA after the Australian Rugby Union announced it was trying to axe either the Force or Melbourne Rebels.
RugbyWA, with the financial clout of mining magnate Andrew Forrest and other influential Perth business people behind them, has already signalled it will appeal to the Supreme Court if they lose the case and is investigating other avenues for action.

The cash-strapped ARU will not want a lengthy legal battle.

RugbyWA will claim damages of about $650,000 if they win.

One of the criteria for a team not to be cut was the need for a firm financial standing.

With Forrest's personal backing, his latest announcement that he will underwrite shares in the Own The Force campaign and the major sponsorship deal with the Road Safety Commission, RugbyWA is in a sound financial position.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/arbitr...-force-await-super-rugby-future-ng-b88555433z

Perth Red

Post Whore
Force have pulled out the big guns. McCusker leading the case funded by twiggy forest. ARU are screwed!

WA Rugby’s case is being handled by former WA governor Malcolm McCusker.

Unlike the 2015 Super season involving 15 teams with a six-team finals system, SANZAAR will keep the current eight-team finals model for next year’s 15-team competition.

This will feature the winners of the Australian, New Zealand and South African conferences, followed by the next five highest points earners regardless of conference.

While both WA Rugby and the ARU hope the arbitration hearing will be finished within three days, this case could drag on for months yet.

It has become apparent that if WA Rugby lose the arbitration hearing, they will take the case to the Supreme Court if they win a right of appeal

WA Rugby’s case is being handled by former WA governor Malcolm McCusker.

Unlike the 2015 Super season involving 15 teams with a six-team finals system, SANZAAR will keep the current eight-team finals model for next year’s 15-team competition.

This will feature the winners of the Australian, New Zealand and South African conferences, followed by the next five highest points earners regardless of conference.

While both WA Rugby and the ARU hope the arbitration hearing will be finished within three days, this case could drag on for months yet.

It has become apparent that if WA Rugby lose the arbitration hearing, they will take the case to the Supreme Court if they win a right of appeal.
A lengthy legal battle could bleed dry the ARU, who are already in a financially perilous state.
The Force have billionaire mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest backing them and are prepared to explore every legal avenue in a bid for survival.
Forrest’s calls for a merger between the Melbourne Rebels and Brumbies will not be explored by the ARU, who see the Canberra team as having met the financial and performance requirements to remain safe.

The Rebels are hoping that private owner Andrew Cox can finalise a sale of his licence to Victorian Rugby Union, who backed by the Victorian government, would see the Melbourne side safe.

But if the ARU loses this arbitration case, they must explore the possibility of buying the licence from Cox to axe the Rebels.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/ff098c0925880e90e759a81e71fd0cb5

Latest posts