What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we learn something from super rugby?

Amin Yashed

Juniors
You're clutching at straws mate. The NRL will never ever put a team back in your snob nosed city again. Hey, nice city but geez you merkins are snobs.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes, I agree with you there. Everything should be done that can reasonably be done to develop NZ and the Pacific Islands. I know that the NRL is Australia's domestic competition and that there is a school of thought that they should just look after their own backyard, but I don't buy that argument, what is good for the game as a whole will flow on to be good for the NRL.

On the field though (which is where my frustration comes in) I think at times though the NZ players need to show much more passion for the national jersey and the Warriors players in their club jersey (they have the national spine and still look likely to miss the finals!!!) The Kiwis have a professional pool big enough to compete with the Kangaroos in every game, what seems to be lacking in some of their games is passion and committment.

The clear reputiation to this is that the NRL is an Aust/NZ comp....

I think, structurally, NZRL should be treaded as a branch of the ARLC (preferably with proportional representation on the Commission board) and receive grants for NZ development.

I know some would say "NZRL shouldnt be subservient to the ARLC", but the reality is that the ARLC are the ones receiving the tv money and they are the ones choosing who they distribute to....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The cash-strapped ARU will not want a lengthy legal battle.

RugbyWA will claim damages of about $650,000 if they win.

One of the criteria for a team not to be cut was the need for a firm financial standing.

With Forrest's personal backing, his latest announcement that he will underwrite shares in the Own The Force campaign and the major sponsorship deal with the Road Safety Commission, RugbyWA is in a sound financial position.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/arbitr...-force-await-super-rugby-future-ng-b88555433z

DELICIOUS!!!

T-Boon

Coach
Things we could learn from Rugby:
1. rucks are boring - lets not have them deciding games;
2. people don't want to watch scrums or rucks;
3. don't have too many players on the field;
4. 15 was definitely always too many, 13 is the new 15;
5. a lone guy kicking at goal is pretty boring.

Perth Red

Post Whore
DELICIOUS!!!

Yes that may be good but sadly getting Forrest behind them means if they do survive you can say goodbye to Jnr RL in WA. He has very deep pockets if he decides to back something.

Best scenario is a lengthy expensive court battle and the Force getting cut lol.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Hey Red..

Surely Union in Australia wont be walking away from these benefits that you expressed in the thread earlier about the Force?

Looks like the Rebels will be gone instead right?

Ok let's.
Benefits the Force have brought to union in WA:
$10million union centre of excellence built by WA govt for Force/WARU
Tripled Jnr player numbers since Force admitted to super 15
$125million Upgrade to nib stadium partly to accomodate force
Zero media Coverage of union to decent coverage in the west Australia every day
Growth of wallabies brand with regular internationals played in Perth
Second grade Perth union team playing in a national comp
Development pathway leading to Number of WA jnrs coming through into super15
First few years ran at a profit and claim increasing crowd from current 10k to 13k would return them to profit.

Reality is the only place they have failed is on the field. After a decade of winless teams they have lost half their paying fanbase and corporate favouritism. If they had managed to build a competitive team, like storm have done, they would be sitting very comfortably.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hey Red..

Surely Union in Australia wont be walking away from these benefits that you expressed in the thread earlier about the Force?

Looks like the Rebels will be gone instead right?

I don't understand the aru's love for the rebels tbh. All I can think is that they want the city of Melbourne due to population, nrl competition, better corporate opportunities etc. with Forrest behind them the forces financial problems are gone, at least in the short term. Maybe they thought because they owned the force and they were skint they could easily boot them where as they would have to pay compensation to the rebels owner. That has back fired big time!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes that may be good but sadly getting Forrest behind them means if they do survive you can say goodbye to Jnr RL in WA. He has very deep pockets if he decides to back something.

Best scenario is a lengthy expensive court battle and the Force getting cut lol.

I personally dont care whether there end up being 4 ARU teams with one group of fans mighty pissed off or whether it is 5 teams, the ARU near insolvent thanks to the court proceedings and the player quality stretched past its limit.

I know you want to the Force gone, but i see just as much benefit for RL in the Rebels dying or even better merging with ACT.

I love that Twiggy is getting involved as it is only going to damage the ARU more and drag this out longer....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not much they can do, they'd have to keep them and pay them. If Force wins it basically means both teams have licenses to play until 2020.

More likely scenario is if the court case fails and Force stay that the ARU would have to find the money to pay out the Rebels owner. He wants out anyway so it is just a question of for how much.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I wonder if the Force miss out if they will pursue a spot in the Pro 14 as the two cut South African teams did. I know it seems rediculous and South Africa's time zone is much more suited to Europe but it is still a very long flight from South Africa to Europe and Union are building a bit of form in adding rediculously out of the way teams to pro comps:

Jaguares from Argentina playing in Super Rugby: 13 plus hour flight to Auckland - add an extra few hours to Sydney and 14 or 15 hours to South Africa

Sun Wolves from Japan playing in Super Rugby: 19 odd hour flight to South Africa and roughly 9 or 10 hours to either Australia or New Zealand

The two South African Franchises cut from Super Rugby will be playing in the Pro 12 with regular 11 odd hour trips to Europe

Perth to London is 19 or 20 odd hours - not too much more of a stretch than most of the above. Might be an option for them, Given that from what I hear there are quite a few ex-pat Poms and South Africans in Perth that make up the fan base of the Force, they might prefer the Pro 14 comp.

Honestly though, I don't care what they do - Pro Union comps other than the straight forward English and French comps are a mess with teams crossing the globe to play each other. It would be nice to have the Force out of our way and then the NRL take some action off the back of it to get a Perth NRL team in place.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if the Force miss out if they will pursue a spot in the Pro 14 as the two cut South African teams did. I know it seems rediculous and South Africa's time zone is much more suited to Europe but it is still a very long flight from South Africa to Europe and Union are building a bit of form in adding rediculously out of the way teams to pro comps:

Jaguares from Argentina playing in Super Rugby: 13 plus hour flight to Auckland - add an extra few hours to Sydney and 14 or 15 hours to South Africa

Sun Wolves from Japan playing in Super Rugby: 19 odd hour flight to South Africa and roughly 9 or 10 hours to either Australia or New Zealand

The two South African Franchises cut from Super Rugby will be playing in the Pro 12 with regular 11 odd hour trips to Europe

Perth to London is 19 or 20 odd hours - not too much more of a stretch than most of the above. Might be an option for them, Given that from what I hear there are quite a few ex-pat Poms and South Africans in Perth that make up the fan base of the Force, they might prefer the Pro 14 comp.

Honestly though, I don't care what they do - Pro Union comps other than the straight forward English and French comps are a mess with teams crossing the globe to play each other. It would be nice to have the Force out of our way and then the NRL take some action off the back of it to get a Perth NRL team in place.

Qantas new non stop flight Perth to London starts next year (17 hours) so possible, but unlikely. There's no money in it so doubtful Force could afford to do it.

adamkungl

Immortal

Mascord is constantly suggesting this kind of thing for Rugby League comps and I just don't see a future in it. Logistically it's a mess. The fans have no interest in watching teams from across the globe play each other.

Stick to national club comps (or bi-national in the case of very close neighbours like Aus and NZ).

It's not without flaw but State of Origin is a far better mid-tier player development vehicle than these ridiculous cross-globe franchise comps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mascord is constantly suggesting this kind of thing for Rugby League comps and I just don't see a future in it. Logistically it's a mess. The fans have no interest in watching teams from across the globe play each other.

Stick to national club comps (or bi-national in the case of very close neighbours like Aus and NZ).

It's not without flaw but State of Origin is a far better mid-tier player development vehicle than these ridiculous cross-globe franchise comps.

UEFA cup and Champions league goes alright! Union Euro cup also seems to do ok. I think cups or ltd game events can work well. With RL only having prof. clubs in two countries and 1 club in two more it is a somewhat limited opportunity!

World Nines, clubs and rep countries, now there's a possibility :)

Teddyboy

First Grade

So agree as with English, French and also European cup in Rugby Union but the rest are a shambles be it Pro14, Super 18/15 or whatever number they pull out the bag and then the Currie Cup, New Zealand NPC or whatever its called now and then the keep failing ARC.
Also must be a nightmare for players who don't like flying and can't be good for you.

VictoryFC

Bench
UEFA cup and Champions league goes alright! Union Euro cup also seems to do ok. I think cups or ltd game events can work well. With RL only having prof. clubs in two countries and 1 club in two more it is a somewhat limited opportunity!

World Nines, clubs and rep countries, now there's a possibility :)

You do realise how tiny travel distances are in Europe? Particularly between the big nations of England, Spain, Italy, France and Germany? hardly qualifies as globe trotting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it's the distance rather that international,context of the competition you feel is the inhibitor? Is this from a financial, or player travel fatigue perspective?

Every Perth team travels further in Australian domestic comps than say nz to east coast of Australia. Super whatever could work if Australian teams were more competitive and they split it into two conferences with nz,Aus and Japan in one and SA, argies and USA in other with a Super Bowl style end of season. Fortunately they don't have the money or the sense to do that.