What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our forward pack - positional changes

Uplifting

Juniors
I think our forward pack positions need to be revamped.

Ah Mau is a back-rower as he doesn't have the size for a prop.

Host doesn't have the core strength (yet) to make metres at prop either.

Thompson is a good player but gives away too much size also.

Sele seems to already have great core strength and should be playing every week.

Basically at the moment too much rests on the shoulders of Vaughan, JDB and Friz (who should play on the edge).

Your thoughts guys?

TomRedVRiver

Bench

Sele seems to already have great core strength and should be playing every week.

Basically at the moment too much rests on the shoulders of Vaughan, JDB and Friz (who should play on the edge).

Your thoughts guys?

Completely disagree about Ah Mau, he has been one of our best over the last few weeks, he's making metres as will through the middle.
What Thompson lacks in size he makes up for in brut strength. He is solid on the left edge, i'm constantly seeing him bust tackles out wide.

Agree with everything else however. Host is definitely not a middle forward, he is shining when he plays in the second-row and getting hammered when he plays in the middle.
Sims is the same story. Every game he's played in the back-row this year he has been awesome. When he plays in the middle he's nowhere near as effective.

I think Sele needs to take that final bench spot. Even though he's made a few errors in his last few outings in first grade, he has a lot of power and solid ball-playing skills. Just needs that discipline in his game and to know when to offload. He'll learn.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Completely disagree about Ah Mau, he has been one of our best over the last few weeks, he's making metres as will through the middle.
What Thompson lacks in size he makes up for in brut strength. He is solid on the left edge, i'm constantly seeing him bust tackles out wide.

Agree with everything else however. Host is definitely not a middle forward, he is shining when he plays in the second-row and getting hammered when he plays in the middle.
Sims is the same story. Every game he's played in the back-row this year he has been awesome. When he plays in the middle he's nowhere near as effective.

I think Sele needs to take that final bench spot. Even though he's made a few errors in his last few outings in first grade, he has a lot of power and solid ball-playing skills. Just needs that discipline in his game and to know when to offload. He'll learn.
Agree!
Think Ah Mau has been one of our best. Thompson is hard as nails and has great pace. Perfect edge player. I think Sele is definitely a back row/ lock

Old Timer

Coach
I posted a long time ago that I think JDB should be headed to the front row and even though he has had great year at the back I still think front row is a good fit for him.
We have back rowers galore and very few props which is where I believe Merrin played his best footy and he was a big loss IMO for that reason.
JDB is at his best when he is head down charging the line and busting a tackle then off loading and he has done that well this year but I think he becomes ineffective when he starts all the ball playing stuff before or at the line.
LAM has been great this year and his post contact yardage has been excellent.

LAM definitely is a prop and needs to stay in the middle.
His strengths now is his leg drive and the ability to carry a few tacklers an extra metre or two.
He is too slow with sideways movement and decision making to play on the edges.

SBD82

Coach
Settle down fellas.

I know we all give it to Mary in here for strange coaching decisions, but compared to some of the ideas floated above, he is looking very astute.

These things are facts:
Ah mau is a prop.
JDB is a lock.
Thommo is in no way too small for an edge backrower (if you don't believe me go and stand next to him).

The only points of debate in our pack are who should take the 2nd bench prop position, and whether the team would be more effective if sims and friz swapped roles.

JDHD

Juniors
Settle down fellas.

I know we all give it to Mary in here for strange coaching decisions, but compared to some of the ideas floated above, he is looking very astute.

These things are facts:
Ah mau is a prop.
JDB is a lock.
Thommo is in no way too small for an edge backrower (if you don't believe me go and stand next to him).

The only points of debate in our pack are who should take the 2nd bench prop position, and whether the team would be more effective if sims and friz swapped roles.

Yeah, completely agree. Thommo is pushing 2 metres in height and weighs over 100kg. He's fine in the back row.

Locks are basically an extra prop who can play longer minutes. JDB is already playing the in middle, moving him to prop wouldn't change anything and might in fact blunt his effectiveness.

Ah Mau is the second best prop in the club at the moment behind Vaughan. He's also over 6 feet tall and 110 kg in weight.

The only real question is whether you start with Sims or Frizzell.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Wer dont need changes but we should go with 4 forwards on the bench
Packer
Sims
Sele
Luc or Lawrie
I would give luc a run offers something different.
But Lawrie would be the best option.

SBD82

Coach
Locks are basically an extra prop who can play longer minutes. JDB is already playing the in middle, moving him to prop wouldn't change anything and might in fact blunt his effectiveness.
Completely agree. JDB is also playing the extra role of link man to the backline plays. Many teams use this as a lock's job, but in 2017 JDB has been the best exponent in the game. Putting him at prop takes away one of the only improvements we have made in attack this year.

TruSaint

Referee
LAM has often been maligned.

He is regularly one of our best. Leg drive, bending the line and has an offload and deceptive speed.
Great player and good combo with big Vaughan.

Packer has dropped off big time, dont know if its fitness / injury ...

Host has great upside. Overall our pack can match any when you include JDB, Friz, Thommo, Sims and co.

Stats are not everything, but they do show our forwards are doing their job.

Gareth67

First Grade
Lesson is and has been a great player for the Dragons , however to me he is the ideal bench prop to come onto the field to keep the momentum going . Also I believe that we still require another ' big boy ' as Packers replacement .

The Dragons success this year ( at least in the first half of the season ) was due to those big boppers being able to hold their own against opposition packs , on most occasions dominating them .

Our middle order men could still use a bit of extra weight and youth to give the Dragons pack that extra punch . This unfortunately brings us back to just how much the coach (?) is prepared to blood the very players ( from the other grades ) needed to do this .

All in all , I believe that with our present pack we do have the necessary fire power to do the job , but with the addition of both youth and size , we could go that one step better .

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
" Our middle order men could still use a bit of extra weight and youth to give the Dragons pack that extra punch . This unfortunately brings us back to just how much the coach (?) is prepared to blood the very players ( from the other grades ) needed to do this ."

Until they are blooded my friend we will never know.

Great post and I agree, but i also believe given a chance there are some kids that could end up as proper 1st graders. Thus my reluctance to sign people like Blair.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think several of our forwards wouldn't want a break, even though they probably need one.
It's a World Cup year and many will push for World Cup inclusions in squads, players like Friz (Aust), Packer (NZ) and maybe even a few smokies like Vaughan (Aust or Italy) LAM (Samoa) Sims (Fiji).
But, I agree players such as Kerr, Lawrie, Sele and Leilua should get some game time its just when.

gonz

Juniors

Your thoughts guys?
I think Host would be lucky making most 17's. Ah Mau has served his time i think.
Id go hell for leather to get Fanua Blake back maybe mixed in with an experienced Lillyman, id have taken Lawrence as that role for sure.

Its also time if he had fitness Luciano to take over from Thommo who can move to bench

gonz

Juniors
I think several of our forwards wouldn't want a break, even though they probably need one.
It's a World Cup year and many will push for World Cup inclusions in squads, players like Friz (Aust), Packer (NZ) and maybe even a few smokies like Vaughan (Aust or Italy) LAM (Samoa) Sims (Fiji).
But, I agree players such as Kerr, Lawrie, Sele and Leilua should get some game time its just when.
Not sure why super coach signs youngsters like leilua, kerr, herbert to 2 yr contracts and then never plays them

Latest posts