What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA 2025

adamkungl

Immortal
Thread for news, lead-up events, marketing, ideas, whatever.

To start on a typically Rugby League negative note...
found this at the bottom of an article

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ut-concerned-for-the-nrl-20170808-gxrktu.html

US off the menu
There had been preliminary discussions about opening the 2018 NRL season in the US next year with a game between South Sydney and Parramatta. That is dead. The costs are astronomical and it would have been a logistical nightmare.

Cost and logistics aren't gonna change in the next 6 years. So keep hopes of an NRL game in the USA nice and low.

Never mind the fact that Souths among others have managed to stage games and camps there in recent years, it's now a 'nightmare'.

jim_57

Staff member
Thread for news, lead-up events, marketing, ideas, whatever.

To start on a typically Rugby League negative note...
found this at the bottom of an article

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ut-concerned-for-the-nrl-20170808-gxrktu.html

Cost and logistics aren't gonna change in the next 6 years. So keep hopes of an NRL game in the USA nice and low.

Never mind the fact that Souths among others have managed to stage games and camps there in recent years, it's now a 'nightmare'.

Mid year it would be tricky because of the travel time obviously, but I don't see why they couldn't just play the game a week before the rest of the teams play their round 1 games. Not expecting miracles from NRL teams though, unless someone can really make it worth their while which I'm sure is what they'd be after, not doing it for the 'good of the game'.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mid year it would be tricky because of the travel time obviously, but I don't see why they couldn't just play the game a week before the rest of the teams play their round 1 games. Not expecting miracles from NRL teams though, unless someone can really make it worth their while which I'm sure is what they'd be after, not doing it for the 'good of the game'.

Any idiot could come up with this but for the NRL it's a logistical nightmare lol

jim_57

Staff member
As for ideas, it would be good to see the "odd one out" of the big 3 on tour years do a tour to North America, maybe add another team and make a tournament out of it.

Hopefully by 2025 Toronto are in SL and another 1/2 North American teams are close behind. In an ideal (unlikely) world the existing RL powerhouses could help out with NRL involvement on the West Coast and Super League on the East.

adamkungl

Immortal
Exactly, camps in USA are hardly new so the costs can't be that "Astronomical".

I see the problem, it would force an NRL and clubs to spend some money on marketing outside their budget of $45k a year for a "social media expert" to post the kickoff time on Facebook.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Man I'm really nervous about this World Cup in 2025. Look I think it's great they are taking the risk, but man they have zero foundation ? It seems way too early, a lot needs to happen. I fear the 2025 cup might be embarrassing.

Emu01

Juniors
Man I'm really nervous about this World Cup in 2025. Look I think it's great they are taking the risk, but man they have zero foundation ? It seems way too early, a lot needs to happen. I fear the 2025 cup might be embarrassing.

If things aren't looking real good in the states by 2021 they will probably take the World Cup off them an award to Australia or England again as they have shared the hosting for ever. No real biggie.

Maybe this New York franchise can get things rolling for them.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
If things aren't looking real good in the states by 2021 they will probably take the World Cup off them an award to Australia or England again as they have shared the hosting for ever. No real biggie.

Maybe this New York franchise can get things rolling for them.
I would hope so, if that is the case i don't see them hosting in 2025, just seems way too soon. But then again 20,000 crowds aren't considered very big in the states, but would be huge for league. Use the soccer stadiums

johnny plath

Juniors
I know its a long bow, but its worth a look at the situation that soccer in the US was in prior to them hosting the 1994 world cup. I cut a bit out of the article, but the crux of it is that the World Cup took a miniscule dying sport in the US into the beginnings of a major professional league in the country. Who knows how this will turn out, but definitely some interesting parallels to draw.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1798046-world-cups-revisited-the-story-of-usa-1994

World Cups Revisited: The Story of USA 1994

JOHN D. HALLORANOCTOBER 4, 2013

Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

On July 4, 1988, FIFA made the controversial decision to give the 1994 World Cup to the United States. The U.S. team had qualified for the 1988 Olympics, proving that the sport did have a pulse, however small, in the U.S. and FIFA wanted to help reinvigorate soccer in America.

The U.S. beat out finalists Brazil and Morocco for the right to host the tournament and FIFA was widely criticized. One journalist even comparedthe decision to “holding a major skiing competition in an African country.”

America only had a microscopic soccer culture at that point and even though it was one of the most popular sports to participate in among American youths, it still had not grabbed the attention of the populace. Professional soccer in America had died when the North American Soccer League folded in 1984 and few seemed to care.

Nonetheless, the tournament became an important opportunity to spread the game in America and gave the world some great moments to look back on.
Post-Script

The 1994 tournament has left fans, both in the U.S. and throughout the world, with many great memories. Cameron forward Roger Milla, who was an unbelievable 42 years old in the tournament, scored against Russia and became not only the oldest player ever to play in a World Cup, but the oldest to ever score a goal.

Saeed Al Owairan of Saudi Arabia scored one of the best goals in the history of international soccer, even though it has become largely forgotten. Perhaps it has become forgotten because he was not from a world football powerhouse, or perhaps because no one knew who he was. Still, it is worth watching as he took the ball starting in his own half and ran through four Belgian defenders before scoring.

The 1994 tournament also saw greats like Dennis Bergkamp and Jurgen Klinsmann. Bergkamp developed a fear of flying because of a scare during the 1994 tournament which affected his ability to play in European matches for the rest of his career. Klinsmann, of course, would later move to the United States and now manages its national team.

For the United States, things would never be the same. Major League Soccer was launched in 1996 with 10 teams and recently announced plans to expand from its current 19 teams to 24. Professional soccer is alive and well in America and any European traveling to Portland, Seattle or Kansas City would not be able to argue there are not passionate and engaged fan bases.

The 1994 tournament also gave the U.S. its first soccer “stars” in players like Earnie Stewart, Alexi Lalas, Tony Meola, Marcelo Balboa, Cobi Jones, John Harkes, Tab Ramos and Eric Wynalda—role models for future generations of American players.

johnny plath

Juniors
Yes but league has pretty much zero presence in the states as it stands lol. Pretty sure soccer had more.
Sounded pretty low according to the article
America only had a microscopic soccer culture at that point and even though it was one of the most popular sports to participate in among American youths, it still had not grabbed the attention of the populace. Professional soccer in America had died when the North American Soccer League folded in 1984 and few seemed to care.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Sounded pretty low according to the article
Hope your right mate I really do lol