What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Billythekid

First Grade
It's pretty obvious to me that the ARUs' problems aren't going to be fixed by cutting a team, if anything it's going to exacerbate their problems.

The ARU really needs to make a handful of major changes if they are going to be successful again, first they need to get their product on free to air (even if it means a large hit to the bank balance for the time being), second they need to get ride of the early starts to games as much as possible (e.g. get ride of games in SA as much as possible), which almost certainly means that they have to divorce themselves from the South Africans and Argentinians at club level, and finally, they need to stop funding their sport from the top and hoping that it'll trickle down to the roots and start investing a sh!t ton more into juniors and amateur competitions, particularly in the bush (something that the NRL needs to do as well).

First thing I'd do if I was the ARU is I'd call the NZRU (and maybe the Japanese as well) and talk to them about setting up a new trans-Tasman comp, if they agree then great go down that route just make sure that it's on free to air, if the NZRU won't budge on Super Rugby then despite the problems that it'll cause I'd bite the bullet and talk to the broadcasters about a new national competition broadcast on free to air and go down that route instead, cause if they don't get on free to air soon then they're gonna completely f**k themselves and in my view it's better to have burnt some bridges but still be alive then to kill yourself trying to keep everyone happy.

If they're forced to start a national competition then I'd start small, probably a 6 team comp (1 each in Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Canberra, and two in Sydney seems the best bet, Adelaide would be the smokey of course), source the extra players from the Aussies playing in Europe as much as possible, then take the rest from the second grade.
Then if the NZRU is receptive start a small end of season competition against their Super Rugby clubs after the season to fill the calendar out a bit more.
Of course all of that is reliant on one of the broadcasters being willing to broadcast the competition, cause if they're not then the ARU is probably better off just sticking with Super Rugby.

Another thing they should do if they do end up starting a new national competition is they should change/introduce some new rules to try to get the teams playing more expansive footy and not the penalty fest that has been RU for the last 15 or so years, start by lowering the value of goals (or upping the value of tries) as a start.

Of course I can't see any of that happening, the ARU don't have the balls to tell the rest of SANZAR (and potentially World Rugby) to go and get f**ked and start doing what's best for Rugby in Australia instead of what's best for everybody but themselves.

I'm not saying these aren't good ideas but they're things that needed to be done back in 2003 not now. Can the ARU afford to take any hits like that?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm not saying these aren't good ideas but they're things that needed to be done back in 2003 not now. Can the ARU afford to take any hits like that?

I agree that it should have happened years ago, but they're already going to take massive hits from losing a club and being stuck in a competition that isn't sustainable for the ARU, so they may as well get good results for the massive hits that they're going to take.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be Interesting to see what next Sunday's Perth crowd is, seems to have been a lot less promotion this year, maybe they will ramp it up this week. Just got my tickets and got decent halfway seats so I'm guessing sales are not strong.

magpie_man

Juniors
I agree that it should have happened years ago, but they're already going to take massive hits from losing a club and being stuck in a competition that isn't sustainable for the ARU, so they may as well get good results for the massive hits that they're going to take.

The single biggest mistake the ARU made was to not get Super Rugby onto FTA television back at the height of the code's popularity in the early 2000's even if it meant a pay-cut.
They instead took the easy money from subscription television and tried to use their riches as a warchest to target the upper crust of the playing talent in the NRL, weakening the rival Rugby code.
It didn't work.

T-Boon

Coach
was there any promotion of this Rabbitohs game in Perth or would you have to be an existing NRL fan to know about it?

j5o6hn

Juniors
Not much, plus the fact that it been raining since Friday night ,Sat and pretty well all day today tends to have a depressing effect on the crowd, I don't want to spend 6 bucks for a raincoat in the ground so I watch it on Fox & stay dry & warm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Promotion has been worse this year than any previous. TBH took wife and uncle, spent $180 to get soaked and watch a pretty avg game of rugby league. If it wasn't a rare occurrence I wouldn't be repeating it very often. Nothing going on in terms of game day buzz or events going on around the ground.

DC_fan

Coach
Promotion has been worse this year than any previous. TBH took wife and uncle, spent $180 to get soaked and watch a pretty avg game of rugby league. If it wasn't a rare occurrence I wouldn't be repeating it very often. Nothing going on in terms of game day buzz or events going on around the ground.

Could be that league fans and officials in Perth know they will not be having their own team to support anytime soon, if ever, and are now showing their displeasure of this.

If the support for the game in Perth dies, then the NRL has no one to blame but themselves for it doing so. They have sat on their fat arses for so long now, not wanting to make a decision about a team in Perth. It support for the game in the west disappears it will be one biggest sporting tragedies to happen in Australian in recent memory.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's def a factor, I used to take 10-12 mates and family but no point now and half arsed about if I'll go myself. If storm weren't playing I'd have probably given it a miss this year given the weather yesterday. You can only lead people up the garden path so many times.

taipan

Referee
ARU just axed the Western Force.

Yep in short.
"The ARU board has announced the western Force will be cut from the Super rugby next season.
After months of ongoing speculation,the ARU has won its arbitration case against Rugby WA and said it would' discontinue the Western Force Super Rugby licence.
Our immediate concern is to support the individuals at the western Force through these difficult circumstances and we will deploy various ARU management staff to WA to provide assistance to players and staff.
Clyne and Pulver will hold a press conference at 5pm".

PS bring cucumber snadwiches,Pimms,and caviar to the conference, unable to provide food and drinks due cash restrictions.
And we thought ditching the Reds was a debacle.You could have had a Tv mini series with all the drama and time involved in this mess.

King hit

Coach
I feel sorry for the Western Force, for Rugby in Australia and for the people in Western Australia. Western Australia is a rugby outpost in Australia as there have been Perth juniors in the schoolboy rugby system in Australia and have had some born and bred Western Australians make the Wallaby team over the years. Even though Western Australia is an AFL state there are plenty of people there who really enjoy both codes of Rugby and now they won't have any to watch on a regular basis. I've been to Perth and there was a bit of Rugby stuff around. Would've much rather kept the Force then the Rebels in Melbourne where Rugby is an oasis surrounded by the monster that is AFL.

On a positive note hope this gets the Perth NRL bid up and running even stronger.

LineBall

Juniors
There couldn't be a better time for the NRL to move to Perth now could it. Imagine whoever owns NIB stadium will be keen for full time tenant during Winter.