What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you pick in the PNG three quarter line?

PNG has a lot of talent these days, what with the PNG Hunters currently at second place in the Intrust Super Cup (Queensland) and a number of talented players at NRL and UK Championship clubs. There seems to be an abundance of talent in the three quarter line, with a lot of good players interchangeable at centre and winger.

Assuming Brisbane's David Mead is selected at full back and captain, and St. George-Illawarra's Nene Macdonald is guaranteed one centre spot, who would you pick for the other three spots in the PNG three quarter line?

The candidates should be: Justin Olam (Melbourne Storm), Kato Ottio (Canberra Raiders), Thompson Teteh (PNG Hunters), Menzie Yere (Sheffield Eagles), Garry Lo (Sheffield Eagles), Kuni Minga (Toulouse Olympique).

Perhaps I have missed someone else?

Please only comment if you have seen most of them play.

morningstar

Juniors
Some Hunters players for a start. (Thompson Teteh plays for Redcliffe)

You can rule out Minga, Lo & Yere too. Kumuls won't pick anyone below Superleague level.

mikail-eagle

Bench
The Kumuls backline for the World Cup will be:

1. David Mead
2. Gideon Gela-Mosbi / Stargroth Amean
3. Kato Otio / Thompson Teteh
4. Nene Macdonald
5. Justin Olam / Adex Wera
6. Ase Boas
7. Watson Boas

You could also throw in Alex Johnson's name in there should he make himself available.

The Kumuls backline for the World Cup will be:

1. David Mead
2. Gideon Gela-Mosbi / Stargroth Amean
3. Kato Otio / Thompson Teteh
4. Nene Macdonald
5. Justin Olam / Adex Wera
6. Ase Boas
7. Watson Boas

You could also throw in Alex Johnson's name in there should he make himself available.

What about Ray Thompson of NQ Cowboys. Isn't he better than one of the Boas brothers?

mikail-eagle

Bench
Ray Thompson & Ase Boas combined against France at the 2013 World Cup and they didn't click. The Boas brothers play well together and also have a solid combination hooker Wartovo Puara jnr.

I think Ray Thompson will be in the World Cup squad but maybe as a bench player.

expansionist

Juniors
The other one I forgot about is Dan Russell - the Souths Logan centre...

Happened to be sitting next to his parents at their home game and they reminded me he was born in PNG and has previously repped?

mikail-eagle

Bench
Dan Russell has repped for QLDPNG in the annual QLD Pacific rugby League Challenge against the likes of QLD Maori, QLD Samoa, QLD Tonga etc but not yet for the Kumuls.

Interestingly another NQ Cowboys contracted player Kyle Laybutt currently attached to the Townsville Blackhawks is also eligible for PNG.

What is Alex Johnston's connection with PNG? If it is only heritage it seems unfair to have him in ahead of quality PNG born players.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I have to say the Boas brothers are carving it up in the QLD Intertrust cup.

Maybe use RayThompson off the bench as an impact player.

MKCS

Juniors
I think it's hard to turn your nose up at genuine NRL players for the biggest tournament the sport has. Mead and Nene need to definitely be picked since they consistently play in the NRL. A big winger in Kato Ottio would be good for them as well especially since most squads around the world are looking for that these days. Olam should probably make the side as well with the rest of the backs from PNG trying to get that final back spot. Johnston shouldn't be picked simply based out of loyalty.

Halves I think Ray Thompson should definitely be there with one of the Boas brothers. Thompson has had quite a lot of NRL experience in the past and this year has been pretty good for the Cowboys whilst Thurston has been gone.

Forwards I think Luke Page should be in there somewhere, Rod Griffin definitely, Paul Aiton most certainly, Rhyse Martin gets the nod somewhere.

Team:

1. David Mead (C) (Brisbane Broncos)

2. Nene Macdonald (St George Illawarra Dragons)

3. Thompson Teteh (Redcliffe Dolphins)

4. Kato Ottio (Canberra Raiders)

5. Justin Olam (Melbourne Storm)

6. Ase Boas (Papua New Guinea Hunters)

7. Ray Thompson (North Queensland Cowboys)

8. Luke Page (Burleigh Bears)

9. Paul Aiton (Catalans Dragons)

10. Henry Wan (Papua New Guinea Hunters)

11. Willie Minoga (Papua New Guinea Hunters)

12. Rhyse Martin (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

13. Rod Griffin (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

14. Kurt Baptise (Canberra Raiders)

15. Mark Mexico (Sheffield Eagles)

16. Wellington Albert

17. Neville Costigan (Unattached, not even sure if he's still playing but if he's fit and playing somewhere then he'd be a nice option off the bench. Lots of good experience including Origin)

---

James Segeyaro at 9 with Aiton being moved to the bench if he's willing to play for Papua New Guinea again. That team could qualify for the finals, I was very impressed with how they played against the Cook Islands earlier this year with just 1 game of NRL experience between them all. Add established first graders like Mead, Macdonald, Thompson, Aiton and Baptise in and you've got the experience needed to do well.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Mark Mexico won't get selected because the new selection policy for the Kumuls is NRL, Super League, QCUP and NSW Cup.

Players in the English Championship are no longer considered for selection.

Chip Kick

Juniors
Mark Mexico won't get selected because the new selection policy for the Kumuls is NRL, Super League, QCUP and NSW Cup.

Players in the English Championship are no longer considered for selection.

Really, I didn't know that
that means Garry Lo, Menzie Yere and Mark Mexico from Sheffield wont be eligble, also noted that both Menzie and Garry are nursing injuries and didn't feature in their last two outings.
Would be good to have Mark as back up option in the forwards given Henry Wan's fallen of the radar with the Hunters
other players such as Jason Tali and Dion Aiye are also playing with Whitehaven another second tier Super League club, alas options for halves pairing and a centre is not on the cards for Kumul selectors.

however reverting back to the original question I'd go

1. David Mead (BNE Broncos) / Stargroth Amean (PNG Hunters)
2. Bland Abavu / Adex Wera (PNG Hunters)
3. Nene McDonald (STI Dragons)
4. Kato Ottio (CNB Raiders)
5. Justin Olam (MBE Storms)
6. Ase Boas (PNG Hunters)
7. Watson Boas (PNG Hunters) / Ray Thompson (NQ Cowboys)

http://www.loopvanuatu.com/content/kumuls-selection-still-open-domestic-competition

mikail-eagle

Bench
That will most probably be the World Cup backline. The only 2 other inclusions that might come in are Alex Johnson and Gideion Gela Mosbi if he can prove his eligibility for PNG.

mikail-eagle

Bench
So Johnston is now putting his hands up for PNG.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/souths-flyer-keen-png/

Souths flyer keen on PNG

SOUTH Sydney flyer Alex Johnston has put his hand up to play for Papua New Guinea at this year’s Rugby League World Cup to honour his grandmother.
Johnston’s grandmother, Mary Brown, was born in Lumi, West Sepik, and is related to Dr Bernie Amof, a long-serving medical officer of PNG sports (PNG Olympic Committee).
She moved to Australia from Papua New Guinea at a young age and resides near Johnston in the southern Sydney suburb of Kingsgrove.
The Rabbitohs back is close to his grandmother, he has revealed he will play for Papua New Guinea at the World Cup this October and November if they contact him.
Johnston is the competition’s top try scorer.
Johnston’s first preference is to represent Australia and add to his maiden appearance in 2015, but he hasn’t ruled out donning the Kumuls jumper.
Before his Australian debut, PNGRL officials approached Johnston and asked if he would consider playing for the Kumuls.
“If they came knocking, I’d probably play for them,” Johnston told The Daily Telegraph.
“Obviously I’d love to play for Australia. That’s the goal and that is what I’m aiming for, but if the Aussie thing doesn’t happen and Papua New Guinea offer me, I’ll play with them.
“I think it would be something pretty cool that my grandmother can come to and be a part of.
“She came over to Australia when she was young and she didn’t really speak much English. I’d love to represent her.”
Speaking of the first time he was approached to play for the Kumuls, Johnston said it was something he considered because of the buzz he got from his last visit in 2015.
“Playing in front of the PNG crowd, they’re all going crazy because they know I’m from Papua New Guinea and I have that heritage,” Johnston said.
“It’s just really surreal how much they know me. It’ll be great to play in front of them. It wasn’t really a hard decision, but I was very respectful and thankful for being asked to play for PNG that’s for sure.”
Johnston had the opportunity to play in front of his relatives from Papua New Guinea when South Sydney played against North Queensland in Cairns in round 19.
“I always enjoy playing in front of those people,” he said.
“As my parents always tell me, there are a lot of kids from Papua New Guinea and the Torres Strait Islands that look up to me.
“It was the closest game for them to come and watch, so it was pretty cool.” – The Daily Telegraph

morningstar

Juniors
“If they came knocking, I’d probably play for them,” Johnston told The Daily Telegraph.

“Obviously I’d love to play for Australia. That’s the goal and that is what I’m aiming for, but if the Aussie thing doesn’t happen and Papua New Guinea offer me, I’ll play with them."

Gee he sounds commited. Hopefully he will be more enthusiastic when he gets in to camp. He can be a real asset to the Kumuls and will be treated like a superstar by the fans.

Looking forward to that awkward moment when he plays against PNG for the PM's XIII.

Latest posts